PDA

View Full Version : No~~~ Accident !!!

diesel74
05-26-2007, 12:28 AM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/di3sel74/CIMG8294.jpg

OK GUYS....

this happened just today at 1:00pm.

my beautiful suby was hurt by this stupid lady.

well, i was driving my 07 suby north on 28th st sw

and this lady suddenly just bumps into my car from 19th ave

she's excuse was that she did not see STOP sign. (she was driving 90' Mercury Tempa)

i called the police, and policeman said it was all her fault.

you know, i got my suby just last year and i can't believe this is happening to me...

THE PROBLEM:

- HER INSURANCE HAS EXPIRED IN FEB 07. WHAT DA ........
- MY CAR ESTIMATE CAME OUT BE AROUND $8000.00
- MY INSURANCE BROKER (ALLSTATE) IS SAYING THAT I MUST PAY DEDUCTABLE WHICH IS $1000.00 TO GET REPAIRED SINCE THE OTHER PARTY'S INSURANCE HAS EXPIRED.

THE QUESTIONS:

- SHOULD I GET A LAYWER TO AVOID THAT DEDUCTION?

TO BE HONEST, I WANNA GET RIDE-OFF.

BUT IS $8000.00 ENOUGH TO GET A RIDE-OFF?
OR WHAT IS THE MINIMUM ESTIMATE DO I NEED IN ORDER FOR ME GET A RIDE-OFF? OR WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET A RIDE-OFF? (MY CAR IS SITTING AT 16000KM) I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DRIVE A DAMAGED CAR FOR YEARS...

PLEASE HELP GUYS!!!

BerserkerCatSplat
05-26-2007, 12:30 AM
Do you mean "write-off"?

SJW
05-26-2007, 12:32 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Amysicle
05-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Ouch. That looks bad, but it doesn't look like write off material. I think it's only a write-off if it costs more to fix than it's worth.

Why not just get it fixed, sell it and buy a new car if having a perfect car matters so much to you?

Maybe you should consult a lawyer to see what your options are.

TEAMFaint
05-26-2007, 12:46 AM
"Written off"

Is the proper term.

A brand new vehicle with $8000 worth of damage, will not get the car written off. You will have to get it repaired, simple as that. Doesnt seem to be too much damage truthfully. I have seen MUCH worse at the shop I worked at.

Itll be fixed. You can either throw a for sale sign on it, or drive it.

LuxCars
05-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Amysicle
I think it's only a write-off if it costs more to fix than it's worth.

thats true.

and it looks much worse than just a bump.:drama:
im surprised that you have to fork over money because her insurance is expired, i think you should look into that, it does not make any sense.

And your car will not have a damaged status (because by the looks of it the damage is not enough to get your car written off), still active but now it goes on your history that this happened, also make sure you get a good body shop to do the work so you dont end up rusting your car because of poorly done work.

gatorade
05-26-2007, 12:57 AM
that sucks dude, was the lady remorseful or did she try to blame you, you must be so pissed off

eb0i
05-26-2007, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by gatorade
did she try to blame you

How in the hell could she blame that on him?

That sucks though man. I feel your pain. But you are not going to get it written off since the damages aren't extensive enough to warrant it. Plus I think you are getting a hell of a deal by only paying $1000 to repair $8000 damage. Just pay the deductible and get it fixed. It sucks that your new car has damage but you are going to have to suck it up. After you fix it take her to small claims to get your deductible back in full.

FishPoo
05-26-2007, 08:00 AM
This site should help you.

If the accident occurred in Alberta, The Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Act protects victims of uninsured and unknown drivers by ensuring they have someone from whom to recover damages for personal injury.

http://www.justice.gov.ab.ca/mvac/default.aspx?id=820

boxer23
05-26-2007, 09:02 AM
in-order for your car to be a write-off; the value of the accident must total over 75% of the cars value...so i suggest that you take it to the most expensive auto body in Calgary lol if you really want a new car that badly

anyone correct me if I am wrong:thumbsup:

Supa Dexta
05-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Yes thank you^, Come on people if you don't know things don't say it, simple as that.. 75% is what they used for my car a few yrs back, that it not near 75%.. Plus mine looked badddd, with some frame damage/ engine bay crushed in some, parts came to 3-4k and the work also came to that much (taking it to one of the priciest shops in town, was just under 8k, on a 12k car.. I should have complained and got them to junk it, live and learn) Theres not a body shop in the city that can make that cost 75%.. That isn't as bad as it looks, new door and fender and you'll never know the difference. It's not like the steering or driveline or anything was shifted out of place, its just cosmetic, and just looks bad on a nice shiny car. The mirror is even still on there, I'm guessing the glass is broken though?

I'm kind of suprised on the 8k! Did you hop the curb and hit a tree or something out of the picture? Mine cost 8k with basically a new front end, hood, fender, wheel, rad, rad suppport, bumper, lights, ac, paint...frame straightened...etc

Oldskool
05-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Get A lawyer and take her to court, she probably doesnt have much, but maybe some sum of money that can help pay the bill. if you cant afford insurance, take the bus.

LuxCars
05-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Oldskool
Get A lawyer and take her to court, she probably doesnt have much, but maybe some sum of money that can help pay the bill. if you cant afford insurance, take the bus.

thats fucking horible. dont do that, she needs to live to and im sure she didnt plan on smashing him like that.
Plus shes in an older car (90 taurus) so shes probably already struggling with life.

just get your car fixed and all will be well, its a nice car, not worth a write off.

Supa Dexta
05-26-2007, 12:21 PM
No way^ You can't have people running around without insurance, and thinking, oh hey it's only 1000$ for them to fix their own car that I smashed.. I'm sure they have 1000 since they have a nice new car.. or did until I smashed it.. *walks away...*

:rolleyes:

thrasher22
05-26-2007, 12:22 PM
So what? Its HER fault, SHE drove without insurance, and SHE hit you. She should pay for 100% of the bill, if you have to force the 1000 out of her, so be it.
Either way, your insurance company shouldn't be makeing you pay a dime, isn't that why you have insurance in the first place?

Besides, she got busted driving without insurance, odds are pretty good she won't be driving for a while anyways. Think of the money she'll save taking the bus.

Melinda
05-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by LuxCars

thats fucking horible. dont do that, she needs to live to and im sure she didnt plan on smashing him like that.
Plus shes in an older car (90 taurus) so shes probably already struggling with life.

just get your car fixed and all will be well, its a nice car, not worth a write off.
So he has to be out $1000 because of someone else's mistake?

I'd go after her for the $1000 for sure dude, of course providing you are physically okay as well.

I don't think driving should be handed to poor people. It's a priviledge, not a right, and if you can't afford it, take the bus. She fucked up and didn't even have plpd insurance to cover her ass. It's up to her to take care of his deductible imo.

diesel74
05-26-2007, 01:00 PM
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES GUYS, :)

AND YES I DID HOP BIG NASTY CURB (MORE DAMAGE TO MY FRONT DUE TO TEIN H-TECH SPRINGS THAT I ADDED LAST MONTH) AND HIT BUSHES.

MY PLAN IS TO GET A HIGH ESTIMATE AS I CAN SO I COULD GET A WRITE-0FF.

IT WAS A GOOD THING THAT SHE DID ADMIT THAT I WAS ALL HER FAULT.

I REALLY FEEL SORRY FOR HER SINCE SHE IS TOO POOR - EVEN NO MONEY TO RENEW HER INSURANCE???

BUT, I WILL GET A LAYWER IF ALLSTATE IS CHARGING ME WITH $1000 DEDUCTION EVEN THOUGH THE WHOLE ACCIDENT WAS NOT MY FAULT. NO DOUBT IT

arian_ma
05-26-2007, 01:27 PM
And they call us teenagers "wreckless drivers"
Lady with expired insurance runs a stop sign and t-bones another car and the owner of the car is forced to pay to get his car fixed.

Love our society.

Percivilla
05-26-2007, 01:46 PM
It really is amazing how many people like to contribute absolutely nothing constructive on this forum!

No way that will be a write off sorry to say, The fine for driving without insurance is insane, like three grand, and now her insurance will be unaffordable because no company will want her.

Make sure that wherever you take it they check for frame damage (straightness).
All the collision places now just replace the body panels. Lucky it was a front fender because a new one can just be bolted on, likewise for the new door. They just order the panels, paint em and bolt em on. also its a new car so they can just get the factory paint code and match it perfect. Only restoration places do metalwork any more so you will have brand new factory panels and paint and therefore still a new car.

As for the deductable, that really sucks:thumbsdow. Two choices there: get a lawyer and pay him the same as the deductable to get the money out of her or just bend over and pay it yourself:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: . My advice would be to just call a lawyer and get their advice.

To look on the bright side at least she took the blame or you could be in court for that one too. as it is she is pretty screwed getting in an accident with no insurance.

The situation sucks in this city: The drivers are shit because its too easy to get a liscense and because of that they crash and insurance bends you over the table. If you are caught without insurance you should lose your liscense so innocent people like me and you dont have to suffer because of them. As soon as you get in an accident you should have to go for a liscense retest.

Dammit now i'v got a headache! i hate hearing about this kind of shit!!:guns:

Roadrage
05-26-2007, 01:59 PM
No way that should be a write off unless damage is more then at least double the current estimate.

ricosuave
05-26-2007, 02:00 PM
i have a hard time thinking that is 8K in damage, and if you think youre getting a write-off, you're fooling yourself.

also, just as a fyi, cops and joe public people like, oh, i dont know, insurance agents have been known to read these boards too. i'd watch what i say if I were you.

GreyFox
05-26-2007, 02:29 PM
I work fairly closely to many insurance companies and lots of people who have been involved in accidents, here's my advice for you -->

1. Your car will not be a write off. No matter where you take it to get an estimate your insurance company will not write it off. Simple as that, you're stuck repairing it.

2. Talk to your insurance adjustor. If she insists on you paying your deductable then talk directly to the claims manager. If this accident is proven 100% her fault, then you should not be paying anything, even if she doesn't have insurance. In that kind of situation, the insurance company is supposed to cover you for your damages, and then pursue (sue or take to court or w/e) the other lady to reimburse them. I don't see any way in which they could make you pay the $1000 deductable.

Amysicle
05-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
... Come on people if you don't know things don't say it, simple as that.. 75% is what they used for my car a few yrs back, that it not near 75%..

If you're talking about me, I did say I think it's... as opposed to stating it as an absolute truth or fact. Plus, when you get into things such as percentages, wouldn't that depend on the company policy? So your experience with your auto insurance’s policy might not necessarily be the same as this guy’s regarding write offs.

This page (http://www.icbc.com/insurance/insura_savemo_rdstar_costco_writeoPU.asp) from ICBC would support my previous statement. It would also depend on the situation, I suppose.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-26-2007, 02:31 PM
FIX YOUR DAMNED CAPS LOCK KEY.

KuruptEX
05-26-2007, 02:52 PM
^^:rofl: :rofl:

harv91
05-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
FIX YOUR DAMNED CAPS LOCK KEY.

I was gonna say the same thing lol...
Good luck with this situation, keep us posted

(in lowercase letters :))

Sharpie
05-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Percivilla
It really is amazing how many people like to contribute absolutely nothing constructive on this forum!

No way that will be a write off sorry to say, The fine for driving without insurance is insane, like three grand, and now her insurance will be unaffordable because no company will want her.

Make sure that wherever you take it they check for frame damage (straightness).
All the collision places now just replace the body panels. Lucky it was a front fender because a new one can just be bolted on, likewise for the new door. They just order the panels, paint em and bolt em on. also its a new car so they can just get the factory paint code and match it perfect. Only restoration places do metalwork any more so you will have brand new factory panels and paint and therefore still a new car.

As for the deductable, that really sucks:thumbsdow. Two choices there: get a lawyer and pay him the same as the deductable to get the money out of her or just bend over and pay it yourself:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: . My advice would be to just call a lawyer and get their advice.

To look on the bright side at least she took the blame or you could be in court for that one too. as it is she is pretty screwed getting in an accident with no insurance.

The situation sucks in this city: The drivers are shit because its too easy to get a liscense and because of that they crash and insurance bends you over the table. If you are caught without insurance you should lose your liscense so innocent people like me and you dont have to suffer because of them. As soon as you get in an accident you should have to go for a liscense retest.

Dammit now i'v got a headache! i hate hearing about this kind of shit!!:guns:
I dont know what you are trying to get at when you say it is bad for bodyshops to just replace panels. Repairing them is to time consuming and not worth it because would you rather pay 10hrs labour to fix a panel or just 2hrs to replace it..Also restoration shops deal with fixing them because 9/10 times the part is discountinued and therefore they have to repair it.

(directed to the OP) why exactly do you want your insurance to write-off your car? Although this is a small factor but your wont be compensated for your mods...

DepTrotter
05-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Whats wrong with people in this world today. This bitch is getting away with wreckless driving without insurance?... First off, if they take her license away, do you seriously think that'll stop her from driving?... i don't.. and whats the deal with this insurance deductible?.. why the fuck do we pay insurance in the first place, if they dont protect you from situations like this... a deductible because she hit you and she was at fault.. i dont think so.. what a horrible predicament!

LuxCars
05-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

So he has to be out $1000 because of someone else's mistake?

I'd go after her for the $1000 for sure dude, of course providing you are physically okay as well.

I don't think driving should be handed to poor people. It's a priviledge, not a right, and if you can't afford it, take the bus. She fucked up and didn't even have plpd insurance to cover her ass. It's up to her to take care of his deductible imo.

yeah, go after her for the 1000 if she has to pay it but the guy who said sue her made it sound like they should sue her for everything she's got. I must have mis-interpreted that.

anyways, hope all goes well.
good luck.:thumbsup:

Masked Bandit
05-26-2007, 07:53 PM
1) Are you sure her insurance policy is lapsed or did she just have an old pink card with her? Did she admit that she had no valid insurance? You would be surprised at how many people forget to put their pink card in their vehicles.

2) The reason your agent said you would have to pay your deductible is because if there is in fact no other insurance company to go after, your policy is the one that has to pay to repair your car. Once that is done, your insurance company MAY go after her for the cost (if they think they can get it). My general experience is that it rarely works out that way. Gemini403 would have a much better idea on that end though.

3) Someone said that her future insurance will be higher / hard to get if in fact she was driving without insurance. This is not true. Have a "Driving without insurance" ticket on your record has absolutely NO IMPACT on your future pricing / availability. For all intents and purposes, it might as well be an expensive parking ticket.

Bad luck for you in the end. You may be able to take her to small claims court for the $1000 though. I'm not sure.

em2ab
05-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Why is Calgary full of people less educated than me with nicer cars than I can afford? :dunno:

tictactoe2004
05-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
Why is Calgary full of people less educated than me with nicer cars than I can afford? :dunno:

Because education doesnt have anything to do with nice cars or income.

diesel74
05-26-2007, 10:33 PM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/di3sel74/CIMG8292.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/di3sel74/CIMG8303.jpg

estimate $8000.00

i guess not enough to get a write-off? well, that sucks. well, the bottom line is that i am not gonna pay A DIME for any dedutions. i'll make sure that the insurance company will pay every freakin dollars. i will let you know more results when i meet my adjuster on monday.

gen2teggy
05-26-2007, 10:45 PM
hellz no, ive seen a car like that at CCW N body shop....that r 10 times worst.

Canmorite
05-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by gen2teggy
hellz no, ive seen a car like that at CCW N body shop....that r 10 times worst.

lyk tot4lly!

JamesV888
05-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by diesel74
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/di3sel74/CIMG8292.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/di3sel74/CIMG8303.jpg

estimate $8000.00

i guess not enough to get a write-off? well, that sucks. well, the bottom line is that i am not gonna pay A DIME for any dedutions. i'll make sure that the insurance company will pay every freakin dollars. i will let you know more results when i meet my adjuster on monday.

Insurance says that you have to pay $1000.00 and that will get things rolling and car will be repaired ASAP. All insurance out there are like that. Since the insurance knows who it is, they will contact her and get her to pay $1000.00 and you will get a cheque back from the insurance.

The initial $1000.00 from you is to get things rolling.
The lady is really screwed. ITS manditory court appearance, $2800.00 is the initial fine but if there is property damage or injury, it can go as high as $5000.00 for first offence.
It all depends on the JP. If she is willing to pay the $1000.00 then all is good. Just let your insurance do the talking for you. They will go after her after you pay your deductable.

TrevorK
05-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by diesel74
MY PLAN IS TO GET A HIGH ESTIMATE AS I CAN SO I COULD GET A WRITE-0FF.

When an insurance company does an appraisal they do up a report that specifies what needs to be fixed and how much they are willing to pay. They use industry rates, and are willing to accept slight variations. So there is nothing you can do to get it "written off" because if their estimate is $8000 and you get a buddies shop to write up an estimate for $25000 they'll tell you you will need to accept the $8000, and if you choose to get it done at your friends shop the rest is out of your pocket.

I would seek to your adjustor's supervisor, you should not be out the amount of the deductable. The insurance company should be the ones who step in and sue the uninsured motorist, this is why you have collision.

The only problem is that this may take time to work out - so I'd pay the $1000 and then take action or else it may be months until the car is fixed.

toomuchb00st
05-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Is it just me or is this thread full of like 50% fobs lol. :thumbsdow

403Gemini
05-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Wow Allstate sucks balls.

They should be looking after your damages, and then they will sue her directly. I guess if you have to pay the deductible, they SHOULD reimburse you directly when their lawsuit is done. Dont worry, you SHOULD get that 1000 deductible back.

Also for a vehicle to be a write off it needs to be about 80% of the total price of the car. $8000 is hardly that of a 2007 subaru

Originally posted by toomuchb00st

... yeah the grammer in this thread is horrid. It's actually giving me a headache to read.

Aleks
05-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Wow Allstate sucks balls.

They should be looking after your damages, and then they will sue her directly. I guess if you have to pay the deductible, they SHOULD reimburse you directly when their lawsuit is done. Dont worry, you SHOULD get that 1000 deductible back.

Also for a vehicle to be a write off it needs to be about 80% of the total price of the car. $8000 is hardly that of a 2007 subaru

... yeah the grammer in this thread is horrid. It's actually giving me a headache to read.

grammar ;)

The Cosworth
05-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

grammar ;) :rofl:

I wouldn't think that your insurance would take the deductible from you, maybe there was a misunderstanding. Also you shouldn't really have to worry about any of this to much, that is what insurance companies are paid for, deal with crap like this and explain it to you.

Xtrema
05-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by toomuchb00st

It's not the thread, it's Beyond in general.

BTW, did the cop charged her? That's a $2500 ticket at the very least.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2003/07/14/noinsurance_030714.html

The story is 4 years old but I think it's still true.

BananaFob
05-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

grammar ;)

Both spellings of the word are acceptable.

Skyline_Addict
05-28-2007, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by LuxCars

no one's bagging on her for not having alot of money.

what she did was totally irresponsible - driving w/o insurance, running a stop sign, etc. being poor is no excuse for doing any of those things and for it to be "ok".

Kaos
05-28-2007, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by JamesV888

Insurance says that you have to pay $1000.00 and that will get things rolling and car will be repaired ASAP. All insurance out there are like that. Since the insurance knows who it is, they will contact her and get her to pay $1000.00 and you will get a cheque back from the insurance.

The initial $1000.00 from you is to get things rolling.
The lady is really screwed. ITS manditory court appearance, $2800.00 is the initial fine but if there is property damage or injury, it can go as high as $5000.00 for first offence.
It all depends on the JP. If she is willing to pay the $1000.00 then all is good. Just let your insurance do the talking for you. They will go after her after you pay your deductable.
:werd:
This is the only guy in here who know's what he is talking about.
When I got into my accident I had to pay a deductible.
I'll be receiving my deductible as soon as everything is settled.
Plain and simple :thumbsup:

zoik
05-28-2007, 01:27 PM
^^ yeah it's brutal, but that's how it is. you take care of it first and then they'll pay you back once it's all cleared up.

i had a similar incident 3 years back, where a kid pulled out of a parking lot right in front of me. i t-boned him, wrote off both cars. cops charged him with illegal right turn. later we looked at his insurance and it's expried. but they were willing to pay for all the damages. until i woke up the next morning and my neck was rock solid. i got a lawyer and sued them. there's something about a uninsured fund. and if that fund has to pay for anything for them, because they can't afford to pay it, their insurance will be a nightmare for awhile.

QuasarCav
05-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

It's not the thread, it's Beyond in general.

BTW, did the cop charged her? That's a $2500 ticket at the very least.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2003/07/14/noinsurance_030714.html

The story is 4 years old but I think it's still true.

Awesome, you fobbed it up too.

did the cop charged her?

gofastmerc
05-28-2007, 02:30 PM
So what shop are you taking it to?

BTW, don't buy into the insurance companys claim that you must take it to one of their shops on some kindof preferred list. If you have a shop that you like, or hear good stuff about, take it there, and let the two parties fight it out.

And no, that is nowhere near a write off. Doesn't matter where you take it for an estimate, the INS company will do there own and make the shop fix it for that anyway. The whole "get three estimates" BS is just a way for you meet and greet a few shops to try and pick one that you like.

Good luck.

dansmith11
05-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by zoik
^^ yeah it's brutal, but that's how it is. you take care of it first and then they'll pay you back once it's all cleared up.

i had a similar incident 3 years back, where a kid pulled out of a parking lot right in front of me. i t-boned him, wrote off both cars. cops charged him with illegal right turn. later we looked at his insurance and it's expried. but they were willing to pay for all the damages. until i woke up the next morning and my neck was rock solid. i got a lawyer and sued them. there's something about a uninsured fund. and if that fund has to pay for anything for them, because they can't afford to pay it, their insurance will be a nightmare for awhile.

ya ive heard that to, theres a fund that you can "sue" for your damages if the other person has no insurance, and then the govenerment or insurance companies or whoever controls that fund, im thinking its governement from what i remember, go after the person to get the money back

Xtrema
05-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

Awesome, you fobbed it up too.

did the cop charged her?

When in Rome......

Hahaha, I caught that on 2nd read, then I see your reply. doh!

http://www.cicarscene.com/forum/images/smiles/GrammarPolice.jpg