PDA

View Full Version : Lowering a car

maplelodge
05-27-2007, 10:59 PM
Is it difficult to lower a car? As in pulling the OEM spring and put in a different spring so the car can be lower. If its something I cannot do easily, approximately how much would it cost to get a bodyshop to install the springs?

hjr
05-27-2007, 11:20 PM
depends on the car and your ricer level

what car? what springs? what setup?

Annoyingrob
05-28-2007, 12:59 AM
When you put a shorter spring on the car, it's a good idea to put a shorter shock in the car too. If you don't, you can bottom out the shocks, and blow them.

With a shorter spring/shock combination, your suspension geometry will be different too. What this means is your camber will be more negative then it was. This will require an alighment to zero your wheels again.

If you lower the car extremely, there might not be enough play in your suspension settings to fix the camber. In this case, depending on your suspension setup, you will need an adjusted pillow ball mount (or adjusted shock tower mount), or different length control arms.

7thgenvic
05-28-2007, 01:24 AM
i'll install your springs...let me know what you drive... :) I don't charge much

GTS Jeff
05-28-2007, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by hjr
depends on the car and your ricer level What's ricer level?

Is that when those SRT4 guys talk about their stage 7 intercoolers and stage 34 BOVs, that are Mopar, backed by factory warrantee, blah blah?

Annoyingrob
05-28-2007, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Is that when those SRT4 guys talk about their stage 7 intercoolers and stage 34 BOVs, that are Mopar, backed by factory warrantee, blah blah?

Stage 35 is where it's at man.

R!zz0
05-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Changing the springs will lower the car but will also compromise traction. Upgrading your shocks to work with the new springs is a good idea. Also if you're into drag racing, lowering the car promotes wheel hop. Adding lower control arm relocation brackets will correct the alignment of your lower control arms.After lowering, get the car aligned to whatever specs you decide. Lowering mostly causes excess negative camber. Adding the adjustable PHR and LCA brackets won't bother the front alignment.

Edit: You'll need a compressor if you're gonna do it yourself.

Spoons
05-28-2007, 08:27 PM
All I can say is do it properly or don't do it at all. All depends on what car it is too. Drop spindles are the best as they don't compromise aligning issues. But again depends on the car.

riced
05-28-2007, 08:32 PM
CMS and tunerworks quoted 400-500 at $81-90/hour with an hour per corner...
so its pretty crazy, you might wanna find a friend instead

Eleanor
05-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob
When you put a shorter spring on the car, it's a good idea to put a shorter shock in the car too. If you don't, you can bottom out the shocks, and blow them.

With a shorter spring/shock combination, your suspension geometry will be different too. What this means is your camber will be more negative then it was. This will require an alighment to zero your wheels again.

If you lower the car extremely, there might not be enough play in your suspension settings to fix the camber. In this case, depending on your suspension setup, you will need an adjusted pillow ball mount (or adjusted shock tower mount), or different length control arms.

I'm pretty sure the OP didn't understand a word of this.

FiveFreshFish
05-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Edit: You'll need a compressor if you're gonna do it yourself.

To clarify, a spring compressor is what you need. An air compressor with an impact gun will also save you some grunt work.

jay42w8
06-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by riced
CMS and tunerworks quoted 400-500 at $81-90/hour with an hour per corner...
so its pretty crazy, you might wanna find a friend instead

they quoted me that much tooo....damnnnn....back in '98 when I had my Integra lowered on H & R Race springs, it cost 300 bucks taxes and install included...my times have changed...of course back then in Vancouver, there was a tuner shop on every block

rc2002
06-18-2007, 03:43 PM
$400-$500 is reasonable if there are seized bolts/bushings. If all the bolts come out easily then I wouldn't pay more than $200. It's actually very straightforward to install springs - all you really need is an impact gun.

Oh and I would take it to a mechanic shop over a body shop any day.

jay42w8
06-18-2007, 06:21 PM
1.5 hours tops if you its a brand new car off the lot like mine...couple bolts on the bottom, couple bolts on top, take it out...put the spring compressor on...take spring off...put on new spring with compressor, tighten everything back up bam done.....this is bullshit...I wonder if its just a Calgary thing...law of supply and demand?

pinoyhero
06-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Pretty much been said but get it done right or just leave it. If you've got a $2500 civic and you want that look then you can go kinda cheap but if you hav a nice car dont comproise and do mediocre work.

jay42w8
06-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I'll tell you one thing kids...chicks DO NOT dig riding around in your lowered cars no matter how cool you think it is :thumbsdow ...on the plus side...if your in a relationship with a girl and you don't know how to get out...slam your car down to the ground and see how she feels about it lol..esp. when she's having her period :rofl: it will help break down the relationship faster haha...I know this from experience it works...if she goes why can't you just put your car back to normal...you say why should I? :rofl:

whiskas
06-18-2007, 11:59 PM
You can rent a spring compressor from canadian tire for free (pay $100 deposit get it back when you return it)

rc2002
06-19-2007, 03:11 PM
The majority of cars don't even require a spring compressor to install lowering springs. The new springs are short enough that you don't need to compress them to install them. If you use an impact on the old springs you won't need a spring compressor there either (you will need to brace it properly though).

1990nismo
06-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Dario @ Customs unlimited Lowered my truck for $200 I am sure he does cars too!

PM me if you want the phone number