PDA

View Full Version : Tools to get rid of backyard wild animals?

Zephyr
05-27-2007, 11:50 PM
So it's summer time, well almost and we're having a huge wild animal problem. We live on a hill and our backyard is cut off by a metal fence and below is like a forest area where coyotes, skunks, oppossums and road runners lurk. My husky just ran into a young coyote that got in our backyard and killed it. A few minutes later we had a pack of coyotes come and going to the backyard with a knife and maglite wasn't exactly the most safest way.

Anyone know a type of airsoft gun strong enough to kill an animal? A real gun came to mind, but the fact that if I shot it outside, that wouldn't be a good idea since my neighborhood is quiet and a gunshot would probably stir a lot of problems.

I almost got attacked by an oppossum a while back too (i hate those bastards), so does anyone know a good tool to kill/hurt them enough to get them to flee? I need this so I can protect my dog, and he always gets on the offensive so I basically need to help him out and it's near impossible to drag him out of it.

KuruptEX
05-27-2007, 11:53 PM
damn man thats insaneee:eek: :eek: :eek:
shoot em dead??? but keep a road runner there cool i think:dunno:

edit: arnt there like air assault riffles??

ercchry
05-27-2007, 11:59 PM
http://www.bb-guns.org/images/plasticgun.jpg

Weapon_R
05-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Slingshot with steel BBs :D

Quiet and deadly

omfgcurtis
05-28-2007, 12:01 AM
anyone pellet or bb gun that shoots metal pellets at 500 fps should be able to scare them off:thumbsup:

ercchry
05-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Slingshot with steel BBs :D

Quiet and deadly

i have not once been able to hit a squirrel with a slingshot, maybe im just a bad shot ...

alloroc
05-28-2007, 12:08 AM
Have you tried a paintball gun?

They hurt enough that if you ding the little bastards enough times they won't come around any more ... and the ammos is cheap, and the hoppers carry quite a few rounds. Start by aiming at the ass and if they seem aggressive aim for the face/eyes/nose.

Originally posted by Zephyr
So it's summer time, well almost and we're having a huge wild animal problem. We live on a hill and our backyard is cut off by a metal fence and below is like a forest area where coyotes, skunks, oppossums and road runners lurk. My husky just ran into a young coyote that got in our backyard and killed it. A few minutes later we had a pack of coyotes come and going to the backyard with a knife and maglite wasn't exactly the most safest way.

Anyone know a type of airsoft gun strong enough to kill an animal? A real gun came to mind, but the fact that if I shot it outside, that wouldn't be a good idea since my neighborhood is quiet and a gunshot would probably stir a lot of problems.

I almost got attacked by an oppossum a while back too (i hate those bastards), so does anyone know a good tool to kill/hurt them enough to get them to flee? I need this so I can protect my dog, and he always gets on the offensive so I basically need to help him out and it's near impossible to drag him out of it.

xcelr8
05-28-2007, 01:43 AM
I would personally hose them down with the garden hose or water ballons first... or maybe a paintball gun.

Killing them would leave a huge mess for you to clean up. And if you dont clean it up, it might attract more animals.

Zephyr
05-28-2007, 01:48 AM
I tried the hose, they wont budge, hell I think they are benefiting from the free drink since California is a desert. Paint ball gun, never thought of that one, time to go look for one.

I have a slingshot, sucker is hard to aim and I could never find a sharp enough rock.

GTS Jeff
05-28-2007, 01:54 AM
File your dog's teeth into razor sharp points and attach razor blades to his nails. And build him some chain mail.

Nova316
05-28-2007, 02:13 AM
Since U live in the US u can probably find an local bb gun that'll probably do the trick or a lower spring/pump power bb gun. You dont want to go to high FPS or you might just end up killing the animal and that causes so many more problems

A790
05-28-2007, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Nova316
Since U live in the US u can probably find an local bb gun that'll probably do the trick or a lower spring/pump power bb gun. You dont want to go to high FPS or you might just end up killing the animal and that causes so many more problems

I would love to see a BB gun kill a Coyote :rolleyes:

Dude, you're honest better off to arm yourself with something like a .22. The gunshot itself is relatively quiet, and if the coyotoes are becoming a problem it will solve it real quick.

Si_FlyGuy
05-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
File your dog's teeth into razor sharp points and attach razor blades to his nails. And build him some chain mail.

and lasers on his head!!

DC2
05-28-2007, 07:24 AM
silencer FTW!

haha no you dont want to kill it, thats just extra work for you.
lets say you do kill it, now you got a dead animal that you have to get rid of, and if you leave it there. you'll have so many flys and other animals coming to eat that shit.

I was thinking paintball too, they are pretty quiet, wont kill them but hurt them enough to not come back?

if they do come back, get some toxic paint and let them lick it off and die somewhere else.

whiskas
05-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Or maybe you should fix your fence which is obviously the cause of the problem.

Americans, always reaching for their guns to solve problems :rolleyes:

EK 2.0
05-28-2007, 07:30 AM
J, Homie, you live in Cali and don't already own a gun??...hahaha...just playin.

Mitsu3000gt
05-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Why don't you build a fence instead of kill a bunch of animals? Maybe I just don't understand the layout of your yard and it's not possible.

TeamBestBud
05-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Go to your local K-mart and invest in a gun.

Toms-SC
05-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Build a proper fence and use chemical deterrents. Head to your local Home Depot for both.

zieg
05-28-2007, 09:00 AM
What about those bear scares? Those mothers are HELLA loud.

adidas
05-28-2007, 10:09 AM
i never knew a road runner was actually an animal! lol

Draw a picture or something that can explain your backyard better. Cause i really dont see whats the point in killing so many animals when you could fix the fence! Help us, help you.

spikerS
05-28-2007, 10:11 AM
get a pellet gun, and forget about the steel BBs. load it up with lead pellets with the pointed end, might not kill a cyote RIGHT away, but it will eventually die of lead poisoning if the pellet gets under the skin.

Mitsu3000gt
05-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by spikers
get a pellet gun, and forget about the steel BBs. load it up with lead pellets with the pointed end, might not kill a cyote RIGHT away, but it will eventually die of lead poisoning if the pellet gets under the skin.

Wow that's cruel.

MintRacer
05-28-2007, 10:42 AM
You can get rubber balls for your paint ball gun.. they use those for riot control...

JAYMEZ
05-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Tada!

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/images/m32/M32.jpg

Honestly , if your fence is broken , fix your fence . If they are still being a bloody pain in the ass , go buy a 22 or a highpowered BB gun... and take one out , then leave it for a day or two so the rest of the animals will know not to go around. (You should leave your dog inside for a day or two as well.

CivicTunr
05-28-2007, 11:39 AM
use a paintball gun, thats what i used.

shakalaka
05-28-2007, 11:50 AM
If you don't mind using real guns. You could get a 9mm or any pistol with a silencer muzzle in the front. That won't make much noise, I think.

EDIT: Just noticed someone already mentioned this.

TKRIS
05-28-2007, 11:59 AM
For the love of god don't go shooting 'yote's with a BB gun.

Either do something to deter them and keep them off your property, or shoot them. However, don't shoot a coyote with a BB gun, it'll just wound it will either have a slow and painful death, or, more likely, a slow and painful recovery. Same goes for a .22LR. It's not humane to shoot something as big a a 'Yote with a .22

Of course, you're in California, and they're almost as rediculously gun-phobic as Canada, so if you're looking to stay out of trouble, just fix your fence and set up some deterrents.

Euro_Trash
05-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Buy more, bigger dogs

Zephyr
05-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
Or maybe you should fix your fence which is obviously the cause of the problem.

Americans, always reaching for their guns to solve problems :rolleyes:

Fence is fine, small animals still squeeze through and some actually know how to climb...I saw a skunk climb it, pretty weird sight to see. Even upgrading it would require a stupid permit that takes a few months if not years to obtain since this neighborhood is strict about any upgrades to your home. Only thing you can do is move into your house without a permit. Plus I have to get both neighbor's approval since it is one big fence shared through a few houses...

You try opening your garage door to take out the car to wash and suddenly you get greeted by a pack of coyotes in your front yard... dont need that in my backyard.

shakalaka
05-28-2007, 01:59 PM
I just thought maybe you could get some sort of a gun and everytime a wild animal comes into your yard, fire the bullet their way, not at them, just to scare them. If you keep doing that they might eventually stop coming?:dunno:

For neighbors maybe you can deliever a letter to their houses explaining them your situation and telling them not to get alarmed if they hear gun shots? I dunno sorta far fetched, but might work who knows.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-28-2007, 03:22 PM
+1 on the paintball gun... i'm pretty sure they're non-toxic. Or a bb works as well... I have a BB rifle thats not even strong enough to kill a gopher, but it scares the hell outta them when they get hit... I know some BB guns (from Can tire at least) can shoot BB's, Pellets as well as darts. I believe they're also strong enough to break the skin, but it wont kill unless you hit it in the head.

D'z Nutz
05-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Electric fence?

JRSC00LUDE
05-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Build a proper fence and use chemical deterrents. Head to your local Home Depot for both.

This seems like an actual sensible solution, provided there is no danger to your/neighbors pets from the chemicals. The other way to go has got to be paintball, if nothing else it will make you feel better while you're perched in your window picking em off. They're smart so you may not be able to hit them for long but they also may realize that area isn't pleasant to visit anymore and stop coming back.

And no, hitting a coyotte with a paintball is not inhumane so you peta freaks fuck off. Pellet gun on the other hand would be a little overkill I think.

schurchill39
05-28-2007, 03:52 PM
I agree with the paintball gun. Get a fully automatic gun so you can just unload on them. I will scare the crap out of them enough that they wont want to come back anymore

RX-7_TWINTURBO
05-28-2007, 03:57 PM
If you buy a BB gun from wal-mart in the states alot of them are rated @ 1200+ FPS which is right around where a .22 round would be. So if you want something for small pest control go to your local wal-mart and spend $150.

z1_bam
05-28-2007, 04:05 PM
just set out a few trays of anitfreeze every morning next to the fence for a few weeks.

either that or instead of buying a paintball/bb gun get a tranquillizer gun and tranquillize all the suckers that come into your yard then put them in cages and sell them on ebay :thumbsup:

Euro_Trash
05-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by z1_bam
just set out a few trays of anitfreeze every morning next to the fence for a few weeks.

Then have a law suit on your hands when your neighbors cat or kid drinks it :thumbsup:

adidas
05-28-2007, 10:21 PM
I just realized that if you shoot the animals with a paintball gun there is surely gonna be alot of "colored" animals running around.

turbotrip
05-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by adidas
I just realized that if you shoot the animals with a paintball gun there is surely gonna be alot of "colored" animals running around.

i hope thats not a black joke you racist!

Khyron
05-28-2007, 11:56 PM
http://www.nexus-point.net/forums/opossumcar02.jpg

Look scarier than the opossum! Paintball the pack with a much paint as you can.

Originally posted by z1_bam
either that or instead of buying a paintball/bb gun get a tranquillizer gun and tranquillize all the suckers that come into your yard then put them in cages and sell them on ebay :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bignerd
05-29-2007, 10:33 AM
With the paintball gun you will know which ones are the really stubborn ones too... this is what they do in Banff with the Elk. If one becomes a problem and is paint-balled too many times they re-locate it. Unfortunatley you don't have this option but you will find out quickly if the paint ball gun works or not. We use to have problems with coyotes in our area too, only thing that got rid of them was more developement and building more houses...

5hift
05-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Getting weapons and stuff may be more fun, but unless you plan on staking out your backyard, you will rarely get the chance where you have a gun in your hand and you see a coyote on your property within range.

You said your husky already killed one coyote. If I was you I would just get a big 2nd dog. Dogs are territorial animals, yours probably hates the coyotes coming onto what he thinks is his property more than you do.

I live out in Springbank in an acrerage community surrounded by a forest, and coyotes and wildlife are a problem here as well. Coyotes used to be a big problem for my family and neighbours, killing many small dogs and cats over the decade I've lived out here. They were getting very aggresive and used to come out and relax on the lawns and go through the garbage, not intimidated at all. Last winter, our new neighbour moved in with his 2 german shepards and a siberian husky. You still see the coyotes in the shadows of the edge of the woods once in a while, but they are clearly afraid to come out onto the lawns now.