PDA

View Full Version : rims and gravel roads

Fred
05-28-2007, 07:48 AM
I just bought black rims with a chrome lip and have spent the last month none stop cleaning them, it's a love hate relationship by now. I have to go out of town and I'll have to drive on some gravel roads. Besides getting super dusty do I have to worry about chips?

4doorj
05-28-2007, 08:27 AM
hahha yeah it sucks.. try having a black car and driving ... your car would be crazy dirty...
but i would worry about chips on a gravel road

funkedelic
05-28-2007, 08:31 AM
oh damn i was thinking of getting black rims on my black car before i put it up for sale.. its enough of a pain in the ass to keep a black car looking good.. but i didn't even think about keeping black wheels clean would be so tough..

glad i didnt! :D

ken-gsr
05-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Yeah, I would be putting on the winter rims if you have to drive on gravel roads.
You dont want to mess them up, especially if they are new.

Fred
05-28-2007, 05:14 PM
black on black is a good look and I love it but It's a mother to keep them clean. I'm just worried about permanent damage to the rims. I'd like to know if it's going to chip the finish or not?

BlackArcher101
05-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Rocks rarely hit rims as the rocks fly AWAY from the tires. It would have to bounce of something outside the vehicle to hit the rim. They just get dusty/dirty.

Your paint/underbody on the other hand....

Supa Dexta
05-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Nah they'll get chewed up.. From your own tires as well as meeting others...

Fred
05-29-2007, 07:33 AM
lets assume the worst and my rims get chiped and the chrome starts peeling. Once I've dried my teers what options do I have to fix them and how much would it cost?

cloud7
05-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Rocks rarely hit rims as the rocks fly AWAY from the tires. It would have to bounce of something outside the vehicle to hit the rim. They just get dusty/dirty.

Your paint/underbody on the other hand....

ya, it is pretty hard for rocks to hit the outside of the rims IF you're the only car on the road, BUT if there is another car then you're screwed.

ken-gsr
05-29-2007, 11:26 AM
try calling Alberta Wheel Repair. Although, I don't know if they will give you a quote unless you bring the wheels in for them to look at, and considering you haven't ruined them yet...
Why are you putting them at risk like that? Just tell someone else to drive, or put some other rims on. Don't you still have the stock ones?

BlackArcher101
05-30-2007, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by cloud7

ya, it is pretty hard for rocks to hit the outside of the rims IF you're the only car on the road, BUT if there is another car then you're screwed.

That's why you keep your distance on a gravel road. Tends to also keep the paint and windshield in good condition as well.

I drove with polished aluminium rims on gravel roads and they would only get dusty.

Fred
05-30-2007, 07:36 AM
I think I'm just going to suck it up and go for it. I'll take some before and after shots to prove if it does mess them up or not.

Euro_Trash
05-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Is it a show car? Probably not, so just drive it. The paint, wheels, etc are eventually going to be damaged, especially living in Alberta

cloud7
05-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

That's why you keep your distance on a gravel road. Tends to also keep the paint and windshield in good condition as well.

I drove with polished aluminium rims on gravel roads and they would only get dusty.

I am more worry about trail of flying gravel from oncoming truck who goes 130 km/h on a gravel road as he pass by you.

Fred
06-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Well I sucked it up and took the rims off the beaten path. It was a pain to get all the dust off the lip once I got back into the city. The lug nuts turned to mud the second I sprayed them down getting all the shit out was brutal. No major damage, I'd do it again if I had to.

Supa Dexta
06-05-2007, 05:33 PM
I thought you had to do it every day for work or sumtin.. One trip wasnt gonna kill ya..

g2forlife
06-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Do NOT drive on gravel roads with RIMS..
The fastest you can go is about 10km.. if that
It will be the longest drive of your life...
Trust me I have been there.