PDA

View Full Version : Rock Climbing

civic_epidemic
05-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Hey guys,
Don't know if there's any fellow climbers on here, but had a quick question, do you guys know of any other stores to get climbing gear from other than MEC. I have to get a bunch of new gear, and that's the first and only place that comes to mind, besides getting it online.

Rav4Guy
05-28-2007, 11:02 AM
They have a couple things at Coast Mountain but for gear I've always liked MEC.

civic_epidemic
05-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Well ya as it stands right now, because I have to get almost a full set of stuff, so that both my brother and I can climb. Getting new gear is a PAIN.

Harness -> Still undecided on weather to get the Petzl Adjama, Corax 2, or the Wild Country Elite synchro. Either way it's gonna be between 77-87 dollars each
Carabiners -> Get a couple locking ones each, probably around lik 15-20 each
Shoes -> Mad rock ones, will probalby be around aother 75-85 dollars per pair.
Belay Device -> Still stuck on weather I want to get a gri-gri, which is super expensive, or just get an ATC and save like 60 dollars.

Time to go gear hunting. haha

JAYMEZ
05-28-2007, 11:41 AM
When I got my gear about 5 years ago , the first place I went to was MEC(make sure you have membership) , you could also maybe talk to the people at MRC , they might have some used ones for sale??

Rav4Guy
05-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by civic_epidemic
Well ya as it stands right now, because I have to get almost a full set of stuff, so that both my brother and I can climb. Getting new gear is a PAIN.

Harness -> Still undecided on weather to get the Petzl Adjama, Corax 2, or the Wild Country Elite synchro. Either way it's gonna be between 77-87 dollars each
Carabiners -> Get a couple locking ones each, probably around lik 15-20 each
Shoes -> Mad rock ones, will probalby be around aother 75-85 dollars per pair.
Belay Device -> Still stuck on weather I want to get a gri-gri, which is super expensive, or just get an ATC and save like 60 dollars.

Time to go gear hunting. haha
I really like my Petzl harness.... very comfortable.

Belay device... whichever one is comfortable for you and suitable for your climbs. I picked up something called a YO-YO. Cross between a grigri and an atc.

http://knradventuregear.com/Belay%20Devices/camp_belay/campyoyo.htm

best of luck, shop around but for the most part MEC will have what you need unless your looking for something specific.

rinny
05-29-2007, 12:00 PM
I've got the Petzl Corax2 harness, its really nice. Shoes are Mad Rock, pretty comfy and nice grip

msommers
05-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
When I got my gear about 5 years ago , the first place I went to was MEC(make sure you have membership) , you could also maybe talk to the people at MRC , they might have some used ones for sale??

I like the suggestion for MEC, it's probably the best shop in town with a big selection. I have to sway against finding used gear, especially for climbing. Could be just a personal thing, but safety and used shouldn't be in the same sentence.

civic_epidemic
05-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Ya, i'm not gonna skimp on money, not when I'm 30 feet in the air