PDA

View Full Version : WTB: computer repair

99SiR
05-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Well its not exactly of the software sort. The laptop is fully taken apart and was working until the lcd didn't turn on anymore. Rest of the computer appreas to fire up fine (or so i think by the humming hard drive and fan). If anyone knows alot about laptop internals i would appreciate a little help for some cash or beer. Thanks

Alterac
05-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Fire me make / model # details via pm, I will see if I can help out.

Lagerstatten.ca
05-28-2007, 02:23 PM
I think I know who this is: Ryan D? But yeah the model of the laptop is a Acer Travelmat 470T I think. The laptop was purchased in 1999 (information given by original owner).

It has a Celeron running at 333mhz with 192mb of ram. It's got a 4gig HD and I'm not sure of the onboard video.

The idea was to take the laptop apart and flip the LCD screen around to make it sort of a tablet so we could frame it up as a digital picture frame.

I formatted the drive, tossed on MS Windows 2000, installed all the drivers and it all worked fine. Then I began dissembling the laptop piece by piece until I was left the internals on the board and the LCD screen. I removed the optical and floppy drive as those aren't needed anymore as all new photos will be added using the USB port.

But I noticed that with the keyboard and keyboard cover taken off, the HD would spin up and then it would stop...5 seconds later the laptop would power off. While all of this is going on, the LCD screen will show the manufacturer's boot logo (Acer Travelmat) and then instead of the usual screen that displays random info (cpu, ram, hd, etc) it just shows a blinking cursor.

After some more tinkering around, the HD would spin up and you can hear it working but now the LCD panel doesn't turn on and neither will it display anything.

Hope that helps!

eblend
05-28-2007, 02:40 PM
I had an older toshiba laptop that wouldn't boot without an optical drive at all. try to reconnect that, maybe it just requires some components to turn on

xkon
05-28-2007, 05:49 PM
I can take a look at if if youd like, PM me... ive worked on a few acers