PDA

View Full Version : Got a speeding ticket in Washington... what happens if I don't pay it?

Super_Geo
05-28-2007, 03:40 PM
I got a speeding ticket for going 80mph in a 70mph zone in Washington over the weekend while driving to Sasquatch. I've heard that if you don't pay it they can put out a warrant for your arrest in Washington, but that it gets taken off of the system in 5 years. I was driving my friend's car at the time (he was also in the car). I think it's only for $130US, so if there's going to be some seroius consequence to not paying (ie: my friend's car would get stopped at the border) or something I'll just pony up and pay it... otherwise....... :angel:

Also, will a US ticket get me demerits as well?

bobby_lu
05-28-2007, 03:45 PM
probably some dogs giving you an enema next time you try crossing the border...

eb0i
05-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Kinda sucks that they didn't give you a break on the ticket by giving you a warning. I think I would just pay the ticket rather than having something show up on the US System when I cross over into their border in the future.

benyl
05-28-2007, 04:02 PM
I am surprised that they didn't make you pay right away.

Anyway, they will put out a warrant. It will pop up any time you go into Washington. It may even show up if you enter the US at another port or entry. Not worth it.

ICEBERG
05-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah, i would just pay the ticket and get it over with. Next time you cross in to U.S it might cause a problem for you.

tictactoe2004
05-28-2007, 04:43 PM
10 years ago i would have just said fuck it, with the way the states are now I wouldnt want to risk it over that kind of $$$...

DNSDJS
05-28-2007, 04:47 PM
yeah i would just pay...
they might put out a warrant and then who knows what can happen..... better safe than sorry...

Jason04S1
05-28-2007, 04:48 PM
I got a ticket on the way back to canada in Arizona, AND Utah.

They said that if i don't pay it (which i didn't) that I will have a warrant out, and that i can not enter that specific state anymore.

I had 30 days to contact the judge and tell them that im from Canada and will not be paying it and they might cut me a break but i forgot to do that.

They said it does not interact with Canadian systems so any registry or your insurance company could not tell you have those outstanding tickets in the U.S.

Call the judge and let him/her know your situation, and if all else fails just don't go back there for a while.

celly
05-28-2007, 05:11 PM
I got a WA ticket 18 years ago. The cop that wrote me up told me not to bother paying it (then why write it?!?!). Anyhow, several years later they had given the ticket to a collection agency and they pestered me for months before they gave up.

I think I've got outstanding tickets in ND and ID as well. :devil:

ken-gsr
05-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Yeah I wouldn’t risk ruining your credit over $130US. Plus you never know, maybe next time your flying somewhere in the US they might give you problems.

dr_jared88
05-28-2007, 05:17 PM
just pay the ticket

theken
05-28-2007, 05:29 PM
pay it

toyboy88
05-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
Yeah, i would just pay the ticket and get it over with. Next time you cross in to U.S it might cause a problem for you.

:werd: no question

asuth077
05-28-2007, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't mess with the US. There have been some crazy stories about people being turned away at the border.

I saw on the news the story about this professor at a University in Vancouver who wrote a paper about psychological affects of acid in the 60's (mentioned first-hand experiences). When he went to drive across the border the guy googled his name, showed him the screen and asked if that was him. The guy said yes and the crossing guard said the US didn't permit users of drugs into their country. To boot, he is no longer allowed into the US since he got turned away for a drug related incident and he has to go through a long appeals process if he wants to ever enter the US.

This is a story I found on google, but the actual story was on Global National.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/05/14/news/legal.php

Anywho, I would just pay it, who knows what they will keep you out for these days.

kertejud
05-28-2007, 07:58 PM
^^^

Ross Rebagliati wasn't allowed to go to Salt Lake City in 2002 to watch the Olympics because of his admitted marijuana use.

benyl
05-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ken-gsr
Yeah I wouldn’t risk ruining your credit over $130US. Plus you never know, maybe next time your flying somewhere in the US they might give you problems.

Your credit cannot be affected by a speeding ticket IN Canada, let alone the US. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

ken-gsr
05-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Your credit cannot be affected by a speeding ticket IN Canada, let alone the US. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

sorry I dont have first hand experience. It seemed logical.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

SJW
05-29-2007, 09:35 AM
I've got tickets in 4 states. Never paid em. Never had problems.

grock698
05-29-2007, 09:39 AM
http://dw.courts.wa.gov/index.cfm?fa=home.home

check this site out i to had a ticket in washington and i was able to find out on this site if there was a warrent out for my arrest since i did get it last year.

Pretty handy site.

05-29-2007, 11:33 AM
I've had tickets in the US, I pay them the same day so that I don't forget. The pickle might end up being that you aren't allowed into the US at a later date. One was for expired registration on a friends car. If it's only $130.00 I would consider paying it and not worrying about it.,

Amysicle
05-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Agreed. Just pay it, it'll probably cause you more problems down the road if you don't. With our dollar almost on par with theirs, it's not much of a hit in the wallet compared to 3 years ago.

khtm
05-30-2007, 07:08 AM
Happened to me too last spring on my motorbike. I was coming back from a trip down to Baja and it was fucking raining. I think I was going like 10 MPH over or something. I tried using the excuse that my speedometer only showed KPH and I had messed up doing the conversion in my head, but the asshole cop wouldn't give me a break.

Anyways, long story short, I started getting collection letters a couple months later because I didn't pay, but they had my name wrong (not even close actually) so I just said screw it.

We'll see what happens...I have my US citizenship so I'm not too worried about not being allowed into the country/state.

yellowsnow
05-30-2007, 10:33 AM
my friend did that once in washington. there's a warrant out for her arrest now if she ever enters the state. so i guess she's never going back until she pays up lol

is it really worth it to be banned from an entire state? i guess if you never plan to visit there again for a long long time

riceeater
06-01-2007, 10:48 AM
i got a ticket bringing my car back from the states last year and after a couple months they sent me a letter encouraging me to pay, saying what the surcharges would be and that they will send a collection agency and i will have trouble crossing into the states in the future... so i just paid it, since the cop already cut me some breaks (ignored that i didnt have insurance for the car, didnt notice the weed smell, and only gave me a ticket for 10 over when i flew by him in the dark by about 25 over).

For how little the ticket costs, just wait to see if they send you the first letter in about a month, and after that just drop a money order in the mail and call it a day

riceeater
06-03-2007, 09:59 AM
you know, for someone that bought a downtown condo for close to half a million, you sure are wasting a lot of thought on this measly $100 ticket :rofl: :rofl: :nut:

Legless_Marine2
06-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
10 years ago i would have just said fuck it, with the way the states are now I wouldnt want to risk it over that kind of $$$...

Moreso, why even bother to risk it by going to the states?

Canada's a beautiful country - there's little they have that we don't.

asuth077
06-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Legless_Marine2

Moreso, why even bother to risk it by going to the states?

Canada's a beautiful country - there's little they have that we don't.

cars, tourism destinations, business.......