PDA

View Full Version : Sushi

em2ab
05-28-2007, 04:26 PM
I went to Kyoto Lounge with a few friends after the Lilac Festival yesterday and tried some things I've never had before. I had sushi but not as adventurous as this. And most of it was okay although the service was terrible. From the top to the bottom, left to right, there is clam, some bean thing, salmon, snowcrab, octopus, squid and urchin. And I ate the caplin roe before taking the picture so it's not there. It was all great except for the urchin, that was TERRIBLE. Don't ever put urchin in your mouth, it's like eating puke. I almost puked a few times trying to get it down, worst thing was I put the whole thing in my mouth. Never again, it was like an episode of Fear Factor.

http://danmaher.com/pictures/albums/May-27-2007-Lilac-Festival/Sushi_2.sized.jpg

http://danmaher.com/pictures/albums/May-27-2007-Lilac-Festival/Sushi_3.sized.jpg

dj_rice
05-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Sea Urchin is an aquired taste....

atomic
05-28-2007, 04:32 PM
uni (sea urchin) is my favourite :P .. i love them in a lemon shooter with qual YUM!

ken-gsr
05-28-2007, 04:36 PM
That is hilarious. You actually whipped out your camera in the middle of a meal?

I don’t understand how people eat that stuff - I had a bad experience one night that mixed to much Sushi with Asahi, ever since I have not been able to touch the stuff.

pinoyhero
05-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Looks pretty mediocre, I can't do B sushi, I'd rather step up and go somewhere more expensive for better quality.

PINOY-X
05-28-2007, 04:38 PM
ummm sushiiii

sputnik
05-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Looks pretty mediocre, I can't do B sushi, I'd rather step up and go somewhere more expensive for better quality.

:werd:

That sushi looks like it was put together by white people.

PINOY-X
05-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

haha:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

em2ab
05-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by ken-gsr
That is hilarious. You actually whipped out your camera in the middle of a meal?

I don’t understand how people eat that stuff - I had a bad experience one night that mixed to much Sushi with Asahi, ever since I have not been able to touch the stuff.
haha ya, as I was taking the picture I said, "I feel like a stupid Canadian." I had my camera on me from the festival.

ken-gsr
05-28-2007, 05:13 PM

nice.

saiyajin
05-28-2007, 05:14 PM
you know of all the places you could have gone for the more exotic stuff, you went to Kyoto... :nut:

gatorade
05-28-2007, 07:52 PM
is Kyoto lounge the same as kyoto 17?

em2ab
05-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Maybe I added the Lounge part, it's on 17 Avenue.

pinoyhero
05-28-2007, 08:32 PM

LOL, white sushi

Ice712
05-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks for reminding me why I don't go to Kyoto17.

That looks like a plate of yak ass!

You are one brave soul to order UNI at Kyoto...I hope you have a iron lined stomach.

TomcoPDR
05-28-2007, 11:03 PM

As oppose to all the other ones run by Hong Kong people with Chinese resturant background pretending to be Japanese? :rofl:

Sumo @ Sunridge is like eating at Calgary Court; except with Japanese food and a Canary Row setting.

HiSpec
05-29-2007, 12:20 AM
everytime i've been to kyoto 17 their food hasn't been bad at all... but maybe it was a bad day for you to go.

Uni... haven't tried their Uni, i only eat uni at places i trust.

szw
05-29-2007, 02:30 AM
The camera thing at restaurants seems pretty normal these days.

turbotrip
05-29-2007, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

As oppose to all the other ones run by Hong Kong people

please...we prefer to be called Kongers

dj_rice
05-29-2007, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip

Arent HK people called Hongers not Kongers...?:rolleyes: :dunno: :confused:

TomcoPDR
05-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

Originally posted by dj_rice

Hongers are the ballerz tho... daddy bling.

We'll just call the Kongers as China rip off's pretending to be Hongers.

n1zm0
05-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

ya. even the 25$ trays they sell at T&T look/probably taste better than that stuff.

turbotrip
05-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

haha i have no idea, im not a honger....but konger sounds funny as hell :rofl:

bignerd
05-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

As oppose to all the other ones run by Hong Kong people with Chinese resturant background pretending to be Japanese? :rofl:

Sumo @ Sunridge is like eating at Calgary Court; except with Japanese food and a Canary Row setting.

Haha Tom Co you crack me up...

My brother lived in Japan for 7+ years, speaks and reads the language fluently... we both like sushi. He can tell if a sushi restaurant is owned by Chinese or Japanese people just from the look of it. An acquired talent apparently.

max_boost
05-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Here's a sushi story. A friend of mine was in Victoria for vacation and they decided to check out the sushi joint. When they walked in, the sushi chef was a black guy. They turned around and walked out. Might be funny for some, offensive for others but I had a good chuckle out of it haha

Tik-Tok
05-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Here's a sushi story. A friend of mine was in Victoria for vacation and they decided to check out the sushi joint. When they walked in, the sushi chef was a black guy. They turned around and walked out. Might be funny for some, offensive for others but I had a good chuckle out of it haha

Better than the "sushi" place in Tofino, it's run by an Australian, the interior looks like "Unlce Moes" (If you like a whole lot of crazy crap on the walls, then come on down to Uncle Moe's Family Feedbag!), and was called Tough City, lol. Scaryshit man. I just had the rice.

\JCAR/
06-12-2007, 09:46 AM
anyone recomend a good place for sushi?.. seems like there is alot of contraversy with some places....i heard of this places on 17th ave sw i beleve its called Midori

JGC96
06-12-2007, 09:58 AM
i thought the sushi in those pics looked yummy...i love love love sushi - i am getting it for lunch today =)

Disoblige
06-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Sushi Kai in Dragon City FTMFW. New place in town, it's my new favorite place. Price ain't too bad either :love:

clem24
06-19-2007, 02:24 PM
yeah just going by looks alone, that sushi looks pretty shitty. The uni (urchin) looks really really shitty.

Here's the thing about uni. If it's fresh, it's about the best thing you can ever have. If it's not fresh (which looks like the undefined slop in the photo above), it's taste like absolute shit. It's bitter and slimy and just plain gross.

I guess you're a sushi noob since you call THAT adventurous? :rofl:

van
06-19-2007, 02:39 PM
If you guys like Baked Oysters, give Maruju Sushi a try, when they have their fresh Oysters man.. is it ever delicious! Besides, most of the week that you go there, there is always eye-candy hahaha.

spyce
06-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Sushi Kai in Dragon City FTMFW. New place in town, it's my new favorite place. Price ain't too bad either :love:

I heard that place was pretty good actually. Maybe Ill try it this weekend.
Had Towa this past Friday. Asked for a side dish of their 'spicy sauce' (stuff they put on the spicy salmon there) and put it on every peice of sushi i had.
Towa=:love:

citylimits
06-19-2007, 02:50 PM
That sushi didn't look that great but I do love sushi. Maybe I'll splurge and get that for lunch one day this week :-)

Si_FlyGuy
06-19-2007, 02:51 PM
I went to Zipang again, and thought that they had the best uni in town. They're pretty expensive though, I ended up paying almost $50 for 12 pieces!

Yamato's my place for a cheap fix now.

clem24
06-19-2007, 02:57 PM
The best uni in town is Globefish. They serve fresh uni in the shell for $20. Of course, this was 1+ year ago. Not sure if they still have it or even at that price. And having said that, everything else at Globefish sucks. :thumbsdow

msommers
06-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by clem24
I guess you're a sushi noob since you call THAT adventurous? :rofl:

I'd consider myself pretty damn adventurous and/or brave if I was going to try that urchin!

I'm curious though what are some crazy dishes you can try?

Super_Geo
06-19-2007, 03:15 PM
How's Sumo Lounge in Eau Claire? I had it last week and thought it was ok, though I have to admit I'm by no means a discerning sushi eater.

Too bad Zen8 closed down... I loved free vendor lunches there :D

saiyajin
06-19-2007, 10:29 PM
for live uni you must go to Maruju there is no where else that compares the spikes on the uni still move as you eat their guts

http://members.shaw.ca/thanh.truong/Image032.jpg

kinda gross but that is fresh right there

must call in advance to see if they have any uni for certain days

Si_FlyGuy
06-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin
for live uni you must go to Maruju there is no where else that compares the spikes on the uni still move as you eat their guts

http://members.shaw.ca/thanh.truong/Image032.jpg

kinda gross but that is fresh right there

must call in advance to see if they have any uni for certain days

Mmmmmm...sea urchin gonads.

clem24
06-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by saiyajin
no where else that compares the spikes on the uni still move as you eat their guts

Uh yeah those aren't guts.. They're ovaries. Yum. :drool:

I suppose uni is getting up there for adventurous, but the whole thing with shell is da-best, and even more adventurous. There's always beef tataki and the korean version (not even seared), misc raw clams like geoduck.. Hmm.. I guess I am so used to uni that I don't even consider it adventurous at all! :nut:

I've also had horse sashimi in Japan. But I refused to try the chicken sashimi. :barf:

Si_FlyGuy
06-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Do they actually prepare the Maruju Uni in any way, or is it still somewhat alive when it's served?

I'm going to have to bring a bunch of white guys there!:rofl:

saiyajin
06-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
Do they actually prepare the Maruju Uni in any way, or is it still somewhat alive when it's served?

I'm going to have to bring a bunch of white guys there!:rofl:

oh ya they clean it out and all that but the pieces are still inside intact hence it being the most fresh i've seen

other places that claim 'fresh uni' if you notice its like all scooped out and put into the shell in the middle it is becuase its not really fresh they just reuse an empty shell and put some uni in it

Si_FlyGuy
06-20-2007, 01:20 PM
So no concerns regarding parasites?

yellowsnow
06-20-2007, 03:22 PM
be a man. go to a shady japanese restaurant and pop some blowfish (fugu) :thumbsup:

post here if you survive and tell us how it tastes.

i had urchin once... almost puked it out though.. dunno if it was just prepared poorly, or if that's just the way it tastes... :barf:

Si_FlyGuy
06-20-2007, 04:23 PM
I would try fugu, if I can find some in Calgary.

van
06-21-2007, 07:36 AM
Yeah most places like Sakana for example don't have anything fresh. They mostly re-use the old shells and buy bulk frozen oysters or whatever it is and just defrost it and put it on the shell, to make it seem like it's fresh hahaha. Of course after you taste it you can tell if it's fresh or not.

That's why I like going to eat Maruju (that and my girlfriend and good friend works there). You just call in and ask if they have any fresh oysters that day...man, it's sooooo delicious! The portions are pretty good size. I don't really eat "sushi" persay, just starting to get used to eating salmon..and I might go onto try other things..but mostly I like the spicy rolls, unagi, stuff like that.

Anywya back to my point, call in and see if they have fresh baked oysters and then go have some you won't be disappointed. Unlike at Sakana where it seems like you're eating..nothing..there is actually 'meat' to be eaten at maruju haha.

saiyajin
06-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by defekt1
Yeah most places like Sakana for example don't have anything fresh. They mostly re-use the old shells and buy bulk frozen oysters or whatever it is and just defrost it and put it on the shell, to make it seem like it's fresh hahaha. Of course after you taste it you can tell if it's fresh or not.

That's why I like going to eat Maruju (that and my girlfriend and good friend works there). You just call in and ask if they have any fresh oysters that day...man, it's sooooo delicious! The portions are pretty good size. I don't really eat "sushi" persay, just starting to get used to eating salmon..and I might go onto try other things..but mostly I like the spicy rolls, unagi, stuff like that.

Anywya back to my point, call in and see if they have fresh baked oysters and then go have some you won't be disappointed. Unlike at Sakana where it seems like you're eating..nothing..there is actually 'meat' to be eaten at maruju haha.

:werd: :werd:
Maruju is one of the sushi places i frequent quite often hah their Salmon sashimi is $1.15 and its not paper thin its actually quite large definately worth the price

i should try their fresh oysters some time though hah
and if you really want fresh Uni call them and see if its available, it will be the only place you go to after you go there for Uni

Si_FlyGuy
06-21-2007, 11:32 AM
I was just thinking that the uni would make a perfect bowl for catching your puke in case you get grossed out.

yellowsnow
06-21-2007, 01:33 PM
how is uni suppose to taste anyway? when i tried it, it was very fishy, mushy, and left a raunchy aftertaste.

jsn
06-21-2007, 06:10 PM
i can't believe all of you want to puke out Uni. I love uni :thumbsup:

signature7
06-21-2007, 06:31 PM
sushi club in kensington is my choice, they have actualy japanese peopel working there!!:thumbsup:

clem24
06-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
how is uni suppose to taste anyway? when i tried it, it was very fishy, mushy, and left a raunchy aftertaste.

It should be not fishy at all, and taste very buttery and rich. I don't know how to describe the taste; it's very unique. It's not salty or sweet, but just very "fresh". What you had was uni that is not fresh. It becomes really mushy and bitter and leaves a really disgusting after-taste if not fresh.

Honestly, maybe you should leave it at that unless you're really dying to try it. It can get addictive and is quite costly. I made the mistake of being curious about good uni. The first time I ever tried uni was at Kyoto 17 (after the waitress recommended it, saying how fresh it was). Well, it was the nastiest thing I've ever had. Then one day I was curious and tried the fresh in shell uni at (then, when it was good) Chopsticks. Wow what a difference! Now I am hooked.

l/l/rX
06-28-2007, 10:14 AM
im going to maruju sushi today for lunch (center and 9th) and i was wondering if they take reservations....

i cant find their number in the white pages, if anyone has it wanna hook it up?

yobi5888
06-28-2007, 10:16 AM
276-8008

l/l/rX
06-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by yobi5888
276-8008

thx

haunt
07-18-2007, 12:40 AM
A little update......recently went to kyoto 17 because my fav sushi place was closed :cry:

I'd been there once before about 2 or 3 years ago. And it was pretty good, fresh.

Not any more.

It was pretty gross. We ordered gyoza and after I had taken a bite out of one, the waiter rushed to the table and asked if he could take them back. lol I was concerned. Apparently, the kitchen wasn't sure they were cooked through....and the answer is no. lol I just selected pieced off the menu and wow......most everything was gross (the uni was so grossss).......possibly cuz I've been spoiled at my fav sushi place these days. Anyhow, never going there again, EVER.

Now ur wondering where is my fav sushi place? Maruju! lol
I onced tried to order uni there and the waitress prompty returned with a msg from the chef: the uni wasn't very fresh and asked if we still wanted it.
:clap:
WOW. I was so impressed. They coulda just sent it out and made the money but they DIDN'T. They actually cared.

some of my favs: oil fish, uni, salmon skin....drool

max_boost
07-18-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm hearing a lot of good things about Maruju so I'll check them out this weekend.

clem24
07-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by haunt
some of my favs: oil fish

Oooh be careful with the oil fish. In small amounts, it's ok, but big amounts, look for some very colorful runs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oilfish

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar

I used to eat oil fish. But not anymore. This past trip to the states, I ate Escolar, without knowing that it was in fact, an oil fish. Needless the say, the next few days was not very pleasant. I think on the final "purging" day (day 3?), I sat on the toilet for 30+ minutes and it came non-stop. :barf:

Si_FlyGuy
07-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Where can I find some oilfish in Calgary?

bulaian
07-18-2007, 12:24 PM
"The gastrointestinal symptoms, called "keriorrhoea", caused by these wax esters may include oily orange diarrhea, discharge, or leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge can stain clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours after consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause frequent urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and may be accidentally discharged by the passing of gas." from wikipedia

gross :barf: :barf:

sputnik
07-18-2007, 12:34 PM
I like the fact that Japan has banned Oilfish imports as food... but sushi places in North America serve it to customers.

cloud7
07-24-2007, 11:59 AM
I never had any problems after eating oil fish at Maruju.

dragonone
07-30-2007, 08:47 AM
zipang's my fav at the moment
wa's got way down my list
i had a 'sashimi mountain' with my friend that knew the owner of globefish, it was good to start but eating sashimi like it's rice or potatoes was kind of overwhelming (gross)