PDA

View Full Version : Snap off security?

Zephyr
06-13-2003, 11:15 PM
http://www.snap-off.com/index.htm

i saw this and been wondering if this is a good idea.... anyone use this before or know anyone that has? it seems like a good anti theift device.. and theift is rising these days...

post any reviews or comments about it, id like to hear

FiveFreshFish
06-14-2003, 12:43 AM
Good concept but I don't like the idea of any aftermarket steering wheel. If you get hurt in a crash, the insurance company may deny you coverage if you removed the airbag. They'll find any reason to not pay out.

For older cars w/o a factory airbag, it's a good idea.

However, I like the devices that keep the brake and/or clutch from being pressed to the floor. Pretty hard to saw through something under the pedals.

ninspeed
06-14-2003, 10:48 AM
meh, there is a reason that theifs carry vice grips now :D.... just makes it easier to access the ign. lock

the-240sx-guy
06-14-2003, 12:52 PM
after it is detached where are u going to hide it?

your not gonna take it with u?

b16Ateg
06-14-2003, 01:50 PM
jsut think of this driving down the highway or some street and all of a sudden it pops off... what are you going to do know you are probally in a wall or some other car... i know ppl that have it like the guys that work at rpm racing and they sell it from some guys that manufacture it in edmonton.. but i dunno i wouldn't do it just cos you never know what will happen when you are driving with it ... thats my 2 sence..

moose_8
06-15-2003, 10:32 PM
just like in race cars and shit so i wuldn;t think it woud be unsafe or anything but soubds like a good idea

Abom
06-15-2003, 10:37 PM
why not just invest a very good alarm system with starter kill ? :dunno:

RiceCake
06-16-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

However, I like the devices that keep the brake and/or clutch from being pressed to the floor. Pretty hard to saw through something under the pedals.

:werd: I'd look pretty weird if a theif tried to hacksaw that clutch device out...:thumbsup:

eur0
06-16-2003, 01:46 AM
id say gettin into an accident and losing an insurance settlement is worse than getting ur ride stolen, imo

civic_stylez
06-16-2003, 08:17 PM
ive got one and i like it. makes the interior easier to work on and i try to put as much security stuff on my car as i can. its also a good show piece.

Zephyr
06-16-2003, 08:21 PM
oh? how much did it cost u?

92 Teg-B18A
06-16-2003, 09:55 PM
You can actually get some made by a Canadian company called Tekniq Autosport (http://www.tekniqauto.com/) out of Edmonton.

civic_stylez
06-16-2003, 10:04 PM
i paid 100 bucks for mine and it is a tekniq hub.

+AsiaN+
06-20-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by the-240sx-guy
after it is detached where are u going to hide it?

your not gonna take it with u?

:werd: where would u go put it once u take it off?:dunno:

Zephyr
06-20-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by +AsiaN+

:werd: where would u go put it once u take it off?:dunno:

run around school holding it infront of me making vrrrom noises and running around hahahaha

+AsiaN+
06-21-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr

run around school holding it infront of me making vrrrom noises and running around hahahaha

hahahah:rofl: :rofl:

eclipse2000
06-21-2003, 10:53 AM
all in all it seems like a really good idea, and its really cool, ive seen a couple of them. the concept is a good one but the one question nobody thinks about is when u get out of your car and diconnect your steering wheel, what r u going to do with it, r u gonna carry it with u everywhere u go?

+AsiaN+
06-21-2003, 09:36 PM
like Zephyr said "run around school holding it infront of me making vrrrom noises and running around hahahaha" hehehe..

or u could hide it somewhere in ur trunk i guess..:dunno:

sin
06-21-2003, 09:40 PM
the one i read about you can set it on the seat beside cause you need the key to put it back on...

AlpineE36
06-24-2003, 05:51 PM
I have the Snap-Off system in my car and I really like it. I just put the steering wheel in my trunk when I park away from home. At night I park on the street so I just bring the wheel inside my place with me.

MichaelLynch
01-30-2004, 04:06 AM
Great questions and after doing over a hundred car shows selling the Snap Off, I have a pretty good idea what people will say about it. My favourite answer to comparisons with other security systems, is that with Snap Off, a thief can see, without breaking your windows, ignition system and door locks, that YOUR car is not a viable target. It would be VERY difficult to drive a car with vice grips, never mind the attention from police or whoever is stopped next to the car at traffic lights. I have yet to hear of a car with Snap Off being driven away. What to do with the steering wheel is the biggest obstacle, i face the same problem. I donīt worry about my car in supermarkets etc. and when i am leaving it for a few minutes, but at night, parked on the street, i donīt think it is a hassle to bring the wheel inside. There is a lock, which can stop the steering wheel being attached, but it is not a perfect solution. Whether Snap Off is ideal, depends on the user but it is easy, quick and very very visible.

Xpnsve
01-31-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by b16Ateg
jsut think of this driving down the highway or some street and all of a sudden it pops off... what are you going to do know you are probally in a wall or some other car... i know ppl that have it like the guys that work at rpm racing and they sell it from some guys that manufacture it in edmonton.. but i dunno i wouldn't do it just cos you never know what will happen when you are driving with it ... thats my 2 sence..

"The quick release mechanism automatically locks to your car's steering column when you snap it on so there's no chance of the wheel coming off while you're blasting down the freeway. "

http://www.tekniqauto.com/CDN/home.htm

civic_stylez
02-01-2004, 01:51 PM
i think its a good investment imo...