PDA

View Full Version : Question about Vacation pay

Stine
05-28-2007, 09:23 PM
does your employer have to pay out your vac pay at the end of each year? or can you "skip" a vac and build up your vac pay?

Rav4Guy
05-28-2007, 09:27 PM
companies do not pay out their vacation pays every year. You will be allowed, for the most part, carry them over to the next year. Most companies will stipulate an expiry date.

Stine
05-28-2007, 09:30 PM
so then do I get 4 weeks vac the next year? or how would I get my vac pay back?

Stine
05-28-2007, 09:32 PM
well here is the situation more over.....

I been working for the place for 8 years, taken a few holidays here and there .... for the most part I dont take much yeah my fault....

so I got around 3000 dollars in vac pay I would like to take a small trip ... can I take the month off? or is it up to my employer?

if they only allow me the 3 weeks as normal how do I go about getting the rest of my vac pay?

Supa Dexta
05-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Why don't you ask your employer? They'll know more then any of us.. My last company was great, we didn't even really follow a "set" vacation amount.. If I wanted time off I took it and would head back to NS for a month.. New company is sticky to the fraction of a day, which is rediculous, but it seems bigger compnaies are more and more this way all the time. Most companies will have a policy in place where you have a set amount of days, if you don't take them all, a certain number may be carried over (up to a max amount) the rest is paid to you...

Xtrema
05-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Talk to HR and your manager. They will decide.

BlackArcher101
05-31-2007, 11:19 PM
I thought Alberta regulations stated that vacation time must be taken within 12 months of it being given?

01RedDX
05-31-2007, 11:23 PM

Tik-Tok
06-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
I thought Alberta regulations stated that vacation time must be taken within 12 months of it being given?

It does. In a 12 month period, employes MUST take 2 weeks vacation minimum. A lot of companies don't really follow it though, it's not a big deal unless your company doesn't let you take vacation.

It's their discretion as to let you take an entire month off, as for the pay, all you need to do is ask.

~Leah~
06-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Every workplace has it's own rules... you really should talk to your own HR dept

SilverGS
06-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Become and contractor then its up to you how much time you want off. You just don't get paid for it. On the other hand though you work it into your rate at the beginning if you want to take 3 weeks a year work it in so your rate will accomadate you not working for 3 weeks