PDA

View Full Version : Car paint question

spyce
05-29-2007, 04:16 PM
So I was just randomly building cars and something made me a little curious.

Is there a difference between pearl paint colors and metallic paint colors? Is there any way to tell when you are up close looking at a car or is there a different process that goes into making the paint?

Random question I know. But thanks for answering anyways! :thumbsup:

TomcoPDR
05-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Pearl coat and metallic paint are completely different things...

With metallic paint, that is a silver tone or flakes added to your BASE coat (the paint color) and then topped off with a CLEAR COAT (the coat you polish/wax on)

With "Pearl coat paint"... you still spray your BASE COAT COLOR, except instead of "clear coat", you spray what's called "pearl coat", it's speical pigments than your regular clear coat, which adds the color reflection shine from the sun.

Now, unless you try to do some combo where you use a high metallic base color paint (or add a lot of silver flakes, etc...) and then combine it with a pearl color coat. (pearl coats come in a wide range of colors)

Anyways, I'm NOT a know it all, just trying to contribute, there might be little technical terms I might be incorrect, but give me a break; I'm not in the paint business. (someone on Beyond already "CORRECTED" me how to fix dents on cars :banghead: so who knows :dunno: )

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Link to correction? :rofl: