PDA

View Full Version : No one wants to roll my fenders

sullygully
05-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Ok, so i called a number of shops in Calgary, Maranellos, CMS, National Collision, and all are telling me that they do not roll fenders. I even called a couple weeks ago to CMS asking about mounting wheels and tire and getting my fenders rolled, and they said they would do it.. I call today to make an appointment, and they say they don't do it...WTF?

And to top it off, tunerworks wants a $100 to rent theres out. :nut:

So heres the plan, i've decided i'm just going to buy one myself :D ,along with a heat gun of course. And anyone that wants thiers rolled can either come to Banff, and I'll do a pair of fenders for $50. Or i could even rent it out, for say the same price $50, and as long as i get a refundable deposit for the cost of the roller, we are good to go.

Who would be up for this? We could even organize a fender rolling party for a reduced rate.

We can discuss details via PM's

Supa Dexta
05-29-2007, 05:41 PM
I know theres a neon joke in their somewheres, but I'll bite my tongue..

goodluck,

boxer23
05-29-2007, 05:42 PM
sorry but what and how do you roll a fender:confused:

ercchry
05-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by boxer23
sorry but what and how do you roll a fender:confused:

if you have to ask then you dont need it done...

but, you roll a fender to fit a bigger wheel in there with more aggressive offsets

kongaj
05-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I know theres a neon joke in their somewheres, but I'll bite my tongue..

goodluck,

you wouldnt say anything if you actually saw his neon.
So maybe you should bite your tounge

your car is sick sullygully, I want to see pics when your done. Ill also keep in mind your offer if I ever need my fenders rolled.

gp36912
05-29-2007, 06:04 PM
hahaha are you gonna be doing it before you after your down for dtp :D

rage2
05-29-2007, 06:05 PM
The reason why nobody will do it is because it's completely unpredictable if the paint will crack when you roll it, and they don't wanna be responsible for your nice paintjob cracking, causing rust later on, etc.

EK 2.0
05-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by rage2
The reason why nobody will do it is because it's completely unpredictable if the paint will crack when you roll it, and they don't wanna be responsible for your nice paintjob cracking, causing rust later on, etc.

werrrrd...I was the roller of fenders when I was at CMS...and I dreaded doing it...it was sooo time consuming and painstaking. Also I hated the fat that even with liberal heat you could never promise that it wouldn't crack...The paint that is.

Kaos
05-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Reason for the $100 dollar rental at Tunerworks as well is because that thing has been modified so many times, after being wrecked by people who didnt know how to use it.
The purchase of it is like $300-$500.
If you want to fork out that kind of cash for a one time use, go right ahead. :devil:

kongaj
05-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by gp36912
uhhh ... what?
am I the only one who didnt understand that?

Supa Dexta
05-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by kongaj

you wouldnt say anything if you actually saw his neon.
So maybe you should bite your tounge

ha.. Umm.. I have and I did? That was the whole point of my post.. :rolleyes: :rofl:

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-29-2007, 08:10 PM

uhhh ... what?

He's asking if sullygully will roll the neon's fenders before Driven To Perform... I had no trouble understanding it.

asuth077
05-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

ha.. Umm.. I have and I did? That was the whole point of my post.. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Well maybe you should say you did then!

Oh wait......

Ghettobaby
05-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Why don't you just buy a baseball bat and roll them that way. I've done it a couple times without any problems.

gp36912
05-29-2007, 09:02 PM

uhhh ... what?

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

He's asking if sullygully will roll the neon's fenders before Driven To Perform... I had no trouble understanding it.

^^^ thank you :P

Vietsta
05-29-2007, 09:11 PM
may i ask what is rolling fender. my car had it when i bought it but i really never knew what it was or would do

sullygully
05-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Well i'm going to CMS to get an alignment done this thursday, so i'm going to try and talk them into rolling them for me. I understand the concequences, and the possibility of paint cracking isn't a concern for me. He told me a couple weeks ago he could do my rears for 40 bucks.

I'd like to have them rolled before DTP, but i'm not paying tunerworks $100 for a $300 peice of equipment, no matter how much I want it done. Thats just absurd that they charge that much. So if they don't get rolled by then, i'm not too concerned.

Hence why i figure if i buy it myself, I could help myself out by doing it myself, as i trust myself more doing it, then a shop monkey, that does it a million times and rushes it and ends up turning out like shiat. Plus in turn by offering my services, I can help out some fellow beyonders with a substantially reduced rental fee, which in turn would help me get my money back for the purchase of the roller.

Its a win win situation for all of us...well most of us.

EK 2.0
05-29-2007, 09:17 PM
are you calling me a shop monkey??:D

sullygully
05-29-2007, 09:18 PM
^ ummm, noooo, well mabe. Its just a term i use, no offence. But we all know when you do something enough times over and over again, it gets to the point where you start cutting corners, and not really paying attention to detail so much. Thats my concern really. I know i'd take my time doing it, just like i hate to take my car into a shop where they have to take my wheels off, because i worry that they won't care, and just scratch the shit out of them. We all know that shops loooove using their impact guns on wheels(BIG no no, unless its torqued to the exact specs, which never is)

But i digress.

sullygully
05-29-2007, 09:28 PM

I want to get it done before, but i can honestly say the car looks damn fine untucked right now. Mabe i'm just admiring the new wheels to much :rofl:

gp36912
05-30-2007, 12:22 AM
hahahaha good good. honestly your neon is problably the only one that i like to look at :D see you at dtp then

DayGlow
05-30-2007, 01:53 PM
if you are crazy enough to DIY

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1745791.phtml

JRSC00LUDE
05-30-2007, 01:56 PM
I won't roll your fenders, but I'll roll you and all your friends! :D

(lame-sauce jk's ftw!)

RUQUIKR
05-30-2007, 02:06 PM
I actually need to do my rears. Let me know what you end up doing.

bobby_lu
05-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by sullygully

We could even organize a fender rolling party for a reduced rate.

We can discuss details via PM's

Originally posted by RUQUIKR
I actually need to do my rears. Let me know what you end up doing.

:eek: :poosie:

legendboy
05-30-2007, 03:09 PM
rolling is ghetto imo

the way i do it is to trim the inside lip of the fender off, then die grind it smooth and mask off and undercoat the raw edge

nismodrifter
05-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Stretch the tires = problem solved ;) EUROSTYLEZFTW

sullygully
05-30-2007, 04:46 PM
^^ mine are already stretched to its limits :D . I've got 215/35/s on a 19x8 rim :eek:

After much debate, i decided to roll my fenders with good ol. louiseville slugger. The air ride made it so easy. I just kept droping it everytime a did a few passes with the bat, until it was how i wanted it. It came out exactly how i wanted it, and it cost me the price of electricity to run the heat gun, and a few blisters.

I have one little 2mm size crack in the paint, and that was it! Its on the inside of the fender to, so a little touch up primer and paint, and she is good to go. I have so many rock chips under there already, i think i'm just going to sand it down eventually and respray with rockgaurd.

A fender roller would have been a little easier on the hands, as i got some blisters out of it, but other then that, take your time, use a lot of heat, and your good to go.

I also put my 5mm spacers on the rear, and now i clear the trailing arm, and can still have a little bit of tuckage

gp36912
05-30-2007, 04:48 PM
very nice. looking forward to seeing it at dtp.

sullygully
05-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
rolling is ghetto imo

the way i do it is to trim the inside lip of the fender off, then die grind it smooth and mask off and undercoat the raw edge
I was seriously considering doing exactly that, since i have all the tools to do it but i thought i'd try the rolling first to see how it comes out. and i'm really pleased. I only had to roll about a foot in length, so it only took me about 30 minutes per side.

very nice. looking forward to seeing it at dtp.
Likewise buddy, i'll see you Friday