PDA

View Full Version : Block heaters in Calgary

urban.one
05-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Do most new cars in Calgary come with block heaters?

Im from out east where its pretty much standard equipment.

Just wondering what to expect here... is it worth the extra $150 or so on a new car or do i even have a choice and its just forced on me?

88CRXGUY
05-29-2007, 06:45 PM
If it doesn't come standard I would suggest you to spend the 150 and get it done. Trust me when its -40 outside with a windchill and your car isn't plugged in it ain't going to start, especially if its been sitting outside overnight. Give yourself the peace of mind knowing that your car will start, you will have more headaches without it. I know from experience.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Mine starts no problem w/ no block heather @ -40 w/ 5W50 mobil1.... Soooo I dunno what your talking about... BUT if I had one IN the car, I would plug it in... IIRC most dealers will make is standard, but I would get one installed anyways.

Annoyingrob
05-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Mine starts no problem w/ no block heather @ -40 w/ 5W50 mobil1.... Soooo I dunno what your talking about... BUT if I had one IN the car, I would plug it in... IIRC most dealers will make is standard, but I would get one installed anyways.
:werd:

I NEVER ever had a problem starting my car all last winter, and it was ALWAYS outside. From outside my house, to the university, to work, always outside. Never once had aproblem starting it. 5W30 FTW.

FiveFreshFish
05-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Some new car dealers are listing the block heater as a MANDATORY option. Toyota is one that's definitely doing this.

Supa Dexta
05-29-2007, 08:36 PM
ha.. Its not the point that your car.. will.. start without one.. Its much easier on the car and nicer for yourself to have one since the car warms up faster... cold starts are likely the #1 enemy for a regularly looked after car here..