PDA

View Full Version : ... and this is why I pirate

The Cosworth
05-30-2007, 09:04 AM
I am VERY disappointed in the last 3 movies I have paid my hard earned dollars to see.

- Spiderman 3, there were two or three movies worth of content squished in.

- Shrek the third, wasn't horrible but at the same time was far worse than the other two

- 28 Weeks Later, NOTHING like 28 days later, more Americanized (which I hate in original English movies) and no story at all, just blowing up the zombies.

As stated in the title, this is why I feel the urge to pirate instead of going and see them because I am finding more and more the movies actually blow. I will go and see Oceans 13 and the Bourne Ultimatum; if they both suck I won’t go into a movie theatre again

PINOY-X
05-30-2007, 09:09 AM
:whocares: :whocares:

teggypimp95
That time of the month?

jk :D

DepTrotter
IPiRATE is that the sequel to iROBOT?

7thgenvic
05-30-2007, 09:12 AM
does this mean i can send your IP to the internet police...OOOO SOO BUSTED

Isaiah
You should be careful what you post when your user name is your first and last name.

Example:

This is why I break into houses:
Because shit at stores is just too expensive.

Not a good idea.

The Cosworth
Originally posted by PINOY-X
:whocares: :whocares:

wow the hostility

point was to mention that there is lots of complaining about people pirating, maybe if they created worth while movies I would watch it.

Ogpogo
05-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by brendankharris
I am VERY disappointed in the last 3 movies I have paid my hard earned dollars to see.

- Shrek the third, wasn't horrible but at the same time was far worse than the other two

- 28 Weeks Later, NOTHING like 28 days later, more Americanized (which I hate in original English movies) and no story at all, just blowing up the zombies.

As stated in the title, this is why I feel the urge to pirate instead of going and see them because I am finding more and more the movies actually blow. I will go and see Oceans 13 and the Bourne Ultimatum; if they both suck I won’t go into a movie theatre again

I hear ya man. I havn't been to the theater in almost two years (not counting a few "forced" times) due to the shit that passes as movies these days. Who wants to pay that much money to go sit and watch commercials while you are waiting for the movie (because if you dont come an hour early, you sit in the shitiest seats in the house), then another half hour of advertisements for other useless shit (Pepsi, WWE and other fucking movies), and then a whole film packed with more hidden ads. What a joke.

The movie industry is just as flaccid and degenerative as our music industry has become.

PINOY-X
05-30-2007, 09:20 AM

wow the hostility

point was to mention that there is lots of complaining about people pirating, maybe if they created worth while movies I would watch it.

come on complaining about a movie you saw ? ... its obvious hes mad cuz they weren't good and he paid full price for the movie .. might as well just wait till it goes to the cheap theatres or wait till it comes out for rent :dunno:

forced_eg
05-30-2007, 09:22 AM
dont pirate its illegal :)

thinmyster
05-30-2007, 09:25 AM
it also happens to be only TEN dollars to see a movie. Dont be so cheap

The Cosworth
05-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by PINOY-X

.... ... its obvious hes mad cuz they weren't good and he paid full price for the movie .. ....

Yeah that is pretty obvious, you want a cookie for figuring out the obvious?

You are missing the whole point of this, we (Ogpogo and myself at least) figure main stream movies like shrek and spiderman that have shit loads of money put into them are worth some money to go and see in the theatres. It's not like I am going and watching foreign films and then gets mad that they aren't good.

Seeing a movie like 28 Days Later is no good at home, just like 300 I am glad I paid to see that in the theatre because it just wouldn’t be the same at home, and if I would have waited, wish I would have gone.

It was just to show my distaste with the entertainment business in general. Music, movies, TV are just on the decline as of late, and these guys are bitching about million dollar profits

PINOY-X
05-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by thinmyster

:rofl: :rofl:

okie so if it sucks it sucks? what now? who knows maybe some ppl liked it .. maybe it was just something u didnt expect.. no need to complain bout em .. personally i liked S3 .. but the other 2 movies i have not seen so i cant say nething bout it ... :drama:

BigMass
05-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Ogpogo

I hear ya man. I havn't been to the theater in almost two years (not counting a few "forced" times) due to the shit that passes as movies these days. Who wants to pay that much money to go sit and watch commercials while you are waiting for the movie (because if you dont come an hour early, you sit in the shitiest seats in the house), then another half hour of advertisements for other useless shit (Pepsi, WWE and other fucking movies), and then a whole film packed with more hidden ads. What a joke.

The movie industry is just as flaccid and degenerative as our music industry has become.

agreed %100. Back in 1997-1999 i could go to the movies once/ week and watch something decent. Now it's just not worth the risk. If i find a few good movies/year worth watching that'd be a miracle. Movie producers need to start putting more effort into something called a "script" that covers more than the back of a paper napkin.

Nobody is impressed by special effects anymore and never ending action puts me to sleep instead of exciting me. They've pushed the superficial shit to the extreme where it doesn’t mean anything anymore. They've pushed the boundaries of action, violence, gore, sex and special effects to the point that they don’t exite or interest me anymore. The only thing i find stimulating now a days from a movie is a good and interesting script/story and good acting. The rest is nothing more than eating a bag of plain sugar. Yes it's cheap and sweet, but at the same time plain, boring and makes you sick.

BoS_DC2
05-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Probably the last good movie I've seen was V for Vendetta, Shrek 3 was, meh? The only crowd it seemed to please was mothers with 5 children.

Someone in this thread is going to become the next "Post whore", how annoying.

Inzane
05-30-2007, 10:30 AM

So that's your justification to STEAL? :dunno:

If you're that dissatified with a movie, try talking to the cinema manager on your way out and maybe just maybe you'll get your ticket price reimbursed.

calgarygts
05-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Inzane

yep

Si_FlyGuy
05-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Are you going to pyrate pirates of the carribean? yarrrrr

Euro838
05-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Although I do agree on what you have written, there are other perspectives that you have to consider.

Are you upset that you paid too much for a crappy movie? or are you upset that you wasted your time to go and watch it? To me, obviously if you are willing to download it and watch it, chances are it's not the latter.

Would you feel the need to download/pirate if you only paid $5 for the movie? or say $2?

I know what you mean that if I paid $10+ for a movie and it ends up being bad (in my judgement) that I would want my time and money back. Although I think if you make a complaint to customer service, you'll get your money back or a voucher for a free movie.

Anyways, it is upsetting to go and expect a good product, pay full price for it, and then being disappointed with the result. It's the same as going for a meal at a decent restaurant except food is tangible.

I would suggest waiting for reviews before watching movies, at least if then they say the movie sucks and you go, then it's your own fault for wasting time and money. Maybe get the discount movie passes for like $7.

benyl
05-30-2007, 11:28 AM

Wow, I guess the next time I get bad tasting food at a restaurant, I should do a dine and dash.

Or maybe the next time windows crashes, I should download it because it is a POS.

Oh wait, next time I don't get 300 kms per tank in my car, I should just pump and drive away.

Some people's logic just blows me away.

thrasher22
05-30-2007, 12:13 PM
How many of you actually believe that movies were better 10 years ago? Could it just have been that you were alot younger, had less to compare to, and had different standards?

There has been tons of good movies in the last year, (got 300 or hot fuzz?). Mind you I thought 28 weeks later was rad.

PINOY-X
05-30-2007, 12:17 PM
^^ different people have different opinion on things .. but then agian i like most movies sooo :dunno:

hussein
05-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Or maybe the next time windows crashes, I should download it because it is a POS.

Hahaha. Unfortunately that's one thing I don't think this remedy will work for. Windows will still crash even if you buy it from a store or download it. :rofl:

forced_eg
06-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster

but you cant take a shit, grab a bite, or fuck your girlfriend without worrying about missing a good scene

Gravy_83
06-09-2007, 06:01 PM
just go to the uptown. not as fancy as other theatres but you get to watch real movies went there to see a A Scanner Darkly and it was soooo worth it. Old school popcorn and oldschool theatre with more independant movies coming out being played there. none of the big hyped up movies going there.

Team_Mclaren
06-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Example:

LOL QFT:rofl: :rofl:

D'z Nutz
06-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Gravy_83
Old school popcorn and oldschool theatre

I understand the "old school theatre" part, but what the fuck is "old school popcorn"??? My understanding of popcorn knowledge may be limited, but don't they just heat up corn and pour butter over it? Kinda hard to deviate from that formula. Unless you mean the stuff's been sitting around since the 50's.... :barf:

Canmorite
06-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

:rofl:

FiveFreshFish
06-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I understand the "old school theatre" part, but what the fuck is "old school popcorn"??? My understanding of popcorn knowledge may be limited, but don't they just heat up corn and pour butter over it? Kinda hard to deviate from that formula. Unless you mean the stuff's been sitting around since the 50's.... :barf:

The "topping" is not real butter.

ZorroAMG
06-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Ogpogo

LMFAO @ you and the OP.

You expect SECOND SEQUELS and blockbusters regurgitating the same formulas over and over to be brilliant?

There are PLENTY of amazing movies that come out each year that don't get noticed because there is no bathroom humor, A-listers or shit being blown up. If you actually try real movies that aren't just popcorn summer blockbusters, you wouldn't have typed that garbage.

Expand your horizons a bit before making stupid generalizations.

:thumbsup:

PS don't ask me to name some...movies are subjective...go to your local video store and read the backs of the cases...yep, it's THAT simple.

Maddog55
06-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I agree with you Brendan. Its so hard to find a good movie and frustrating when you drop money to see them. A Ten dollar ticket is just the tip of the ice berg.
I'll take my family to a movie....ten dollars x 4 is 40 some dollars. Munchies is another 40 some bucks. so I drop almost a hundred dollars to see a movie thats crap. That happens more times than not.

And Pinoy X....if you dont give a fuck..then shut the fuck up about it!!! Why is it everyone wants to waste time posting about a thread they dont care about? If you dont care...dont post!! simple.

GOD...what do you do..walk down the street and walk into a store and declare..."I dont like the stuff in this store" and walk back out????

Get a fricken life...oh and while you're at it....try and be a little more original than copying someone else's avatar in the same forum. You and RicoSuave both .

eb0i
06-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by forced_eg

but you cant take a shit, grab a bite, or fuck your girlfriend without worrying about missing a good scene

If it's a "bad" movie...you aren't missing any "good" scenes ;)

As for the OP....you're logic blows goats. :thumbsdow

RiCE-DaDDy
06-10-2007, 04:16 AM

theres definitely more to 28 weeks later than just blowing up zombies, but yea it was more "americanized" as you say.

Atriux
06-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Wow. WTF are you on dude? You're going to break the law because you didn't like a few movies, and spent like 2 days worth of work money on it? Sure there are bad movies, but if you didn't like them suck it up. There's always going to be shit you hate, but you're acting like a real faggot.

"OMG I didn't like a movie so I have to be illigal and download". The biggest factor against you is that it was your decision to see the movie. The movie industries didn't force you to see it... damn. The illogical reasoning coming from some people is just insane.

Atriux

Crymson
06-13-2007, 04:50 PM
That isn't the reason why i pirate.

THOSE are the reasons why i wait for it to come out on cable, pvr it, then watch it on a sunday afternoon when i'm hung over.

car
06-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by thrasher22
How many of you actually believe that movies were better 10 years ago? Could it just have been that you were alot younger, had less to compare to, and had different standards?

There has been tons of good movies in the last year, (got 300 or hot fuzz?). Mind you I thought 28 weeks later was rad.

i agree hot fuzz was absolutely hilarious. What i miss from older movies, say 10 years ago, is the dialogue. Like pulp fiction, you can probably take out the action and it would still be entertaining just with them chatting in the hallway or diner. It seems the dialogue and plot are beginning to be predictable.

Maddog55
06-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Atriux
Wow. WTF are you on dude? You're going to break the law because you didn't like a few movies, and spent like 2 days worth of work money on it? Sure there are bad movies, but if you didn't like them suck it up. There's always going to be shit you hate, but you're acting like a real faggot.

ROFL...holy shit...I can't believe all the "holier-than-thou"s attitude over this. "Break the law"??? Yeah...what a criminal!!! d/l'ing movies or songs!!! *GASP*!!!! HANG HIM!!!! (BTW...d/l'ing movies and songs is legal in Canada..its still before the courts. The US is illegal, but not here. d/l'ing them and SELLING them is another story...but d/l'ing for personal viewing is not illegal in Canada)
But, good god....you're all talking like this guy is the next Charlie Manson. Break the law..???!!!
I suppose every single one of you has never had a copied s/w on your computer, or j-walked across the street, or gone 10 k over the speed limit etc etc.

Jesus...what a bunch of pussies

Here is a quote from this article (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070214.wblacklist14/BNStory/National/home) in the Globe and Mail:

.Unlike in the United States and most other developed countries, videotaping movies in theatres is not illegal in Canada. Likewise, there is no law in Canada that specifically bans mod chips and other piracy tools, as there is in the United States.

Another quote from this article (http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0402/p06s01-woam.html): A Federal Court judge ruled Wednesday that downloading songs for personal use or having files available on a computer connected to the Internet doesn't violate copyright laws.

So all of you screaming "You're braking the law".....research before you speak!!!!

Maddog55
06-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by forced_eg
dont pirate its illegal :)

If you're that dissatified with a movie, try talking to the cinema manager on your way out and maybe just maybe you'll get your ticket price reimbursed.

Do some research...its NOT ILLEGAL to d/l movies or music for personal use in Canada. See my above post.

theken
06-13-2007, 06:45 PM
i like zombie movies, i will have to check it out later

403Gemini
06-13-2007, 10:21 PM
I would agree that the quality of movies has taken a huge decline (at least the "blockbuster" ones) in the last 5-10 years. I would agree with the above statement that back in 97-99 i was in jr high and EVERY weekend id be choosing with my friends on what movie to watch for that weekend.

Now if something comes out every 2-3 months i consider myself lucky.

and about pirating pirates of the caribean, i would highly recommend doing that, that movie was shit imo ;)

I'll also agree with Zorro that smaller movies generally are better... one of the finest movies ive seen in the last 5 years was probably running scared with paul walker. I didnt see a single add for that on tv, and if it wasnt for this forum, it woulda went right by me.

theken
06-13-2007, 11:38 PM
i like boondock saints, i believe it was a b movie, thats my all time favorite movie, no big budget

ZorroAMG
06-14-2007, 01:18 AM
Boondock saints was not a B movie...lower budget indie perhaps...b movies are like the douche-esque Scary movie 23 etc and all the shitty slasher flicks.

Boondock Saints FTW...

the sequel is coming BTW...

403Gemini...don't forget, when we are in Jr. High, our standards are much lower (90210 anyone LOL) and our ability to distinguish pizzaz and bullshit over real quality is not what it is now, at a more mature audience age.

Ask your parents how many movies WE thought were awesome at 16 and how they wanted to gouge their own eyes out haha :rofl:

theken
06-14-2007, 04:08 PM
did boondock saints even go to theater? i thought if they didn't go to theater it was a b movie, i don't remember if it was in theater or not

PINOY-X
06-14-2007, 04:11 PM
boondock saints +1 .. took me 2 months to find the "special edition" one haha

ZorroAMG
06-14-2007, 04:27 PM
b-movie is like slang... more of a derogatory term for lesser quality, poorly written flicks...

403Gemini
06-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
b-movie is like slang... more of a derogatory term for lesser quality, poorly written flicks...

Movies like "Return of the living dead : Rave to the grave", and just fun movies like "Slither" are considered B movies just cause they're fun and pointless... and yes... very poorly written haha

Inzane
08-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Maddog55
Do some research...its NOT ILLEGAL to d/l movies or music for personal use in Canada. See my above post.

Do some reading comprehension. Its still STEALING, whether its legal or not. You are taking copyrighted intellectual property that you did not pay for. What part of that do you not understand?

Just because our legal system hasn't stepped in to tell you you can't do that yet doesn't make it RIGHT.

seer_claw
08-03-2007, 08:57 AM

Do some reading comprehension. Its still STEALING, whether its legal or not. You are taking copyrighted intellectual property that you did not pay for. What part of that do you not understand?

Just because our legal system hasn't stepped in to tell you you can't do that yet doesn't make it RIGHT.

HA HA HA. You guys are hilarious. Just because you feel shafted every time you walk into a theatre and pay $12 or whatever the prices are now, you get ticked off at someone who downloads them for free? Some of us don't have a ton of disposable income and downloading movies is a great way to watch the shit that they put out now.

It would be stealing if I downloaded them and sold them. Watching them myself hardly qualifies as stealing. I don't think that I'd spend the money in a theatre or a movie store. So for the few movies for that I do download and watch, its not like I'd be watching it otherwise. If I couldn't get it free than its likely that I wouldn't watch it at all.

Boondock Saint +1
And Equilibrium was damn good too.

Inzane
08-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by seer_claw

HA HA HA. You guys are hilarious. Just because you feel shafted every time you walk into a theatre and pay $12 or whatever the prices are now, you get ticked off at someone who downloads them for free? Some of us don't have a ton of disposable income and downloading movies is a great way to watch the shit that they put out now.

1) I never pay full price because I always have the cinema coupons you can buy from places like AMA, my employer, and others. They are typically ~$7.5-8.0 instead of $12+.

2) If the movie looks like its a loser, either from trailers or heresay or reviews, I don't go. Period. I don't steal it. I don't watch it.

3) If its still a maybe with potential, then I'd consider renting it. That's ~$5 instead of $8, and less if you're sharing the rental with someone (spouse, friend, whatever..).

If you can't even afford #3, especially if splitting with friends, how can you afford to eat?

TVG
08-03-2007, 09:17 AM
I go to a movie at least once a week. I also download the movies that aren't worth seeing around 3 times a week. But the movies you mentioned aren't even worth downloading lol.

Dave P
08-03-2007, 09:27 AM
I pirate for the rum and booty

Redlyne_mr2
08-03-2007, 09:35 AM
You know what pisses me off more than anything is sitting through all the commercials they play before the movie. I hate that a movie takes 3-4 hours now because of all the previews and commercials.

treg50
08-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Shrek 3 and 28 weeks were instant 'avoid at all costs' movies for me after I saw the trailers.

Shrek the 3rd = shit because part 2 was worse than 1 and the premise in part 3 is that he's having a freaking kid, I don't want to see the 'realistic' life progression of an animated ogre getting married, starting a family, buying a house, and minivan, etc. WTF?

28 Weeks Later = shit because the trailers showed a flock of school kiddies running around and American soliders doing carpet bombing. A kick ass survival horror has no room for ankle-biters. American soliders 'saving the day'? F-that stereotypical, Indepedence-day cheesy bullcrap. Shit alert goes off.

Spiderman 3 fooled me, I watched it in theatres and hated it.

300 and Transformers will restore your faith in movie theatres if you haven't seen them yet.

SilverRex
08-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Maddog55
I agree with you Brendan. Its so hard to find a good movie and frustrating when you drop money to see them. A Ten dollar ticket is just the tip of the ice berg.
I'll take my family to a movie....ten dollars x 4 is 40 some dollars. Munchies is another 40 some bucks. so I drop almost a hundred dollars to see a movie thats crap. That happens more times than not.

And Pinoy X....if you dont give a fuck..then shut the fuck up about it!!! Why is it everyone wants to waste time posting about a thread they dont care about? If you dont care...dont post!! simple.

GOD...what do you do..walk down the street and walk into a store and declare..."I dont like the stuff in this store" and walk back out????

Get a fricken life...oh and while you're at it....try and be a little more original than copying someone else's avatar in the same forum. You and RicoSuave both .

sorry man, even though I can agree with your views but I dont agree with your attitude here. It sound as though someone just robbed you all of your money. You are one desperate son of a.. ok must calm down before I get swallowed up by your unintelligent comments.

Yes its legal at the moment for canada to download stuff, then again its only a matter of time until they change the law just like video recording in the theaters was legal, not anymore.

anyhow whats wrong with Pinoy X telling us his views? his view is that he does not care? after all what do you think is the main reason brendankhkarris started this thread? He also gave us thoughts and opinion, why dont you tell him to @#$% off as well?

If you are really against people posting like that, then I am against ppl like you posting like this, it only provokes people further and away from topic, soon you destroyed what seems to be a good debate here.

Oh and whats the problem with people copying each others avatar, could it be that they REALLY do like it? so your saying to be original I should not drive the same car as everyone else drives on the road? dam, that means I will never buy a new or used car since someone already owns one. Your thoughts are lame my friend.

Now back on topic shall we;

I agree, I dont like paying that much money for a movie that isnt worth it, then again watching a movie is like investing in stocks, there will always be risk to it. So dont automatically assume the movie kicks ass, the higher your expectation, the greater the chance you will be disappointed.

And I agree with some one else, you can easily get those 2 for 1 cupons and 7.5 dollar tickets, which makes it all the better.

I goto theater to watch a flick not because I am betting it will be a good movie or not, I go because there is a difference between watching a movie at home via in the theater. Im speaking movies with pack full of action, special effects etc. Its just isnt the same watching it at home, not big enough of a bang unless you see it in the big screen. (oh and be happy that the movie industry is trying to come up with better experiences for people to enjoy, this DVD/HD era is making people think twice before heading out to a movie, good thing is I hear rumor they are working on 3D.interactivity as a standard. So just be patient and good things come to those who wait.

So if I watch a movie and the story/plot/presentation were all good, then that is a bonus.

You become a much happier person when you approach it this way, otherwise if you get upset easily, you will find life is harsh and whats the point in living.

:thumbsup:

szw
08-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by treg50

28 Weeks Later = shit because the trailers showed a flock of school kiddies running around and American soliders doing carpet bombing. A kick ass survival horror has no room for ankle-biters. American soliders 'saving the day'? F-that stereotypical, Indepedence-day cheesy bullcrap. Shit alert goes off.
\

Never saw the trailer but this was one of the best movies of the year IMO. And the soldiers didn't actually save they day...

SilverRex
08-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by treg50
Shrek 3 and 28 weeks were instant 'avoid at all costs' movies for me after I saw the trailers.

Shrek the 3rd = shit because part 2 was worse than 1 and the premise in part 3 is that he's having a freaking kid, I don't want to see the 'realistic' life progression of an animated ogre getting married, starting a family, buying a house, and minivan, etc. WTF?

Spiderman 3 fooled me, I watched it in theatres and hated it.

300 and Transformers will restore your faith in movie theatres if you haven't seen them yet.

dont you think shrek 3 is gear towards mother and childern, when my wife watched shrek 2 she was blown away, laughed every minute and since then she fell in love with movies. There is a thing called audiences, you cant and never will find a movie that fits every age catagory. if and when that happens, Jesus will be back lol,

28 weeks later, didnt watch it so cant comment.

Spiderman 3 I thought was the best out of the 3, it had everything, humor, action, love, friendship. again its just me and besides boxoffice numbers dont lie.

300 was awesome in my books, watched in IMAX and it was worth every penny. wish there is a sequal to see what happens when all those.. ok dont want to spoil it.

Transformers was good but wasnt as good as everyone claim, but I look forward very much to the sequals so they can expand the story a bit and include more characters.

Again all my personal opinion, it does not mean I am right either. But in conclusion, I am quite happy with the movies this year, Certinaly there is a rewarding aspect in having low expectation in life and in everything.

Sure , it makes me less ambitious and less achieving in life, then again this is called being happy without hard work oppose to achiving something that isnt guarantee.

;)