PDA

View Full Version : Help on new car

Spoons
05-31-2007, 07:38 PM
So I've sold my truck :(

but anyways now I'm in the market for a different car. I'm looking at some BMW's and Audi's, but the first thing that comes to mind is that I know European cars are ridculously expensive to fix. My buddy was telling me that if parts ever do break, just buy aftermarket parts because they are cheaper.

Now I am relatively new to european cars, so I'm basically looking for some help here on if my buddy is right or not, and how affordable they are to keep runnin.

Thanks

TEAMFaint
05-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Well its true in some cases, but not always the best choice.

Take this into consideration:

Stock OEM cams for a 94 Passat.
Neuspeed "Racing" cams for 94 Passat.

The Neuspeed cams were $350 cheaper than the OEM ones, seems like a good choice as long as they hold up. Truthfully OEM is the best way to go if you arent planning on modifying. Or even if you are.

Spoons
05-31-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm really good friends with a mechanic in town, and he says that Audi's arn't as bad and generally a much better car, so I think I am gonna go with one of them, and plus I'm good friends with a guy who fixes them aswell.

Annoyingrob
06-01-2007, 05:32 AM
It's not that expensive to maintain if you do the work yourself :)

pinoyhero
06-01-2007, 05:36 AM
Find a good mechanic and you can sace some but, that and higher end aftermarket parts can be had sometimes cheaper than OEM. That all being said you get what you pay for , German cars are typically more expensive to own for a reason.

Mangina
06-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Spoons
I'm really good friends with a mechanic in town, and he says that Audi's arn't as bad and generally a much better car, so I think I am gonna go with one of them, and plus I'm good friends with a guy who fixes them aswell.

If your buying brand new, Audi's have TERRIBLE resale values. Something to think about.

Tik-Tok
06-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Spoons

If your buying used, and have to fix anything... ORDER PARTS FROM THE STATES!!!!!

Can't stress this enough, Audi parts in Canada are such a ripoff.

I have to replace my 2 front airsprings on my allroad, Glenmore quoted me $800 for ONE airspring (just the part), I called an Audi dealership in Oregon (as I'll be there on vac. in a few weeks), they quoted me $500! Then I searched the web for parts, and found some for $440.

Mitsu3000gt
06-01-2007, 09:06 AM
I find parts for my car to be quite reasonable - no worse than anything else in it's class anyways. They are usually cheaper in the states though. Take care of it properly and you won't have any more problems than you would any other comparable car. So far my S4 has been the most reliable car I've owned, same for 3 of my friends who also own VW/AUDI (Jetta, Golf, TT).