PDA

View Full Version : How do you prevent rust?

al-ti2d
06-01-2007, 12:31 AM
I took my car out to the car wash today and I noticed afterwards that there was some kind of orange tinge left behind on my rear wheel well right near the edge of it... i'm assuming that this is going to end up turning into rust? Is there any way that I can prevent rust from forming on my car? Any kinds of sprays or other products that I can buy at stores?

inline6turbo
06-01-2007, 12:52 AM
if its just surface rust just use steel wool to scrape it off then go to auto value and get that spray on rust proofing shit, and go at er, then maybe invest in getting ur car undercoated? tar = no rust :)

Annoyingrob
06-01-2007, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by al-ti2d
Any kinds of sprays or other products that I can buy at stores?

Yeah, most of the auto manufacturers put this special protective coating on it from the factory. They call it "paint".

Why is it rusting? Is the paint sraped down to bare metal or something? Get some steel wool, or a wire wheel in a grinder, remove all of the rust, then primer the area, and if you want, paint it to match the rest of the car. Problem solved.

DC328is
06-04-2007, 08:09 PM
its primer that protects the metal from rust. not the paint.

katana9x4
06-04-2007, 08:20 PM
buy an nsx

b18cr
06-05-2007, 01:11 PM
one word. "ZIEBART"

KuruptEX
06-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by katana9x4
buy an nsx

u mean buy a car from california no such thing as rust there:D

Euro_Trash
06-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by KuruptEX

u mean buy a car from california no such thing as rust there:D

That wont prevent rust

toyboy88
06-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

That wont prevent rust

Indeed, rust is a natural spontaneous oxidation reaction that occur in any climate. Although in climates with more oxygen and water (rain) in the air, the water/oxygen accelerates the rate of reaction of the rust. In order to prevent rusting, you must either put a protective coating on your car to prevent contact of metal with oxygen/water, or make your car the cathode end of a reaction (not the anode) to reverse and stop the rust oxidation reaction.

Sry haha...just learned it today it chem class... :nut: :)

ninspeed
06-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by DC328is

Primer is hydroscopic... it attracts water... OEM finishes use a an epoxy based sealer that the vehicle is diped into. Aftermarket uses a spray on. if you prime over bare metal without sealing it, it will rust.

Paint is porus, but not hyrdoscopic, clearcoat seals off the finish.

forced_eg
06-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed

Primer is hydroscopic... it attracts water... OEM finishes use a an epoxy based sealer that the vehicle is diped into. Aftermarket uses a spray on. if you prime over bare metal without sealing it, it will rust.

Paint is porus, but not hyrdoscopic, clearcoat seals off the finish.

i drove my old car around last winter all primered and the rust just ate through it

and its hyGROscopic, not hydroscopic

Mazstyle
06-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by DC328is

Your an idiot.

Originally posted by forced_eg

i drove my old car around last winter all primered and the rust just ate through it

and its hyGROscopic, not hydroscopic

Thats right, and to al-ti2d an alternative to grinding/painting is to coat the underside with good ol motor oil and do it everytime you wash the wheel wells.... This can really slow down the process.

Tik-Tok
06-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Mazstyle

coat the underside with good ol motor oil and do it everytime you wash the wheel wells.... This can really slow down the process.

Still wouldn't help a GM though, lol. You should see our work van, and it gets covered in oil on a daily basis :rofl: (parking under jet engines)

ken-gsr
06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
if it is just surface rust and it hasn't set in yet - then just get soap and water and a sponge and use some elbow grease.