PDA

View Full Version : Production Accountant/CAPPA

Bjv
06-01-2007, 07:46 AM
I have just discovered beyond.ca and have been reading the threads on P.A, CAPPA and accounting in general with a great deal of interest. I have some questions and would like to hear from anyone, but especially those who have exp with o&g acctg. I need to know what to do to have a realistic opportunity of getting into a job - less important things can wait for later.

Do you know of any materials (books,online training, CD/DVD,etc) which train/teach o&G accounting/operational apps like qbyte fm/pm, triangle, prism,pas,fieldview,accumap?

What kind of O&G p.a. job could I realistically expect to get with my background?-see below for details (If forum members could ask other people they know, that would be great, too).

Does anybody work for Nexen in acctg or know about their Hiring practices for PA's?

While more education is always good I guess, what should I concentrate on now,education-wise, before I apply for a job? I'd like to apply fairly soon. I also plan or contacting cos directly and just ask them what they require for me to get in. Then I'll start other stuff later.

Thanks for any info/general(of specific) advice that anybody can offer me!

I am a new CAPPA grad( got it in April) with a 2 yr acctg diploma from NAIT and 25 years of varied accounting experience in f/t and p/t jobs (cellular,retail, printing/publishing,equipment sales,recyling,non-profit,gravel crushing).Being in Lloydminster,almost all my former and current employers do lots of business with o&G cos, so I have some familiarity with their accounting processes.

I took some additional CMA courses thru Athabasca U - altho quite some time ago. Lakeland College here in Lloyd will likely be offering a class in PVR this fall,which I plan to take. Thinking of getting my remaining CMA prereqs thru Athabasca U. and then taking the CMA SLP Entrance exam. Good knowledge of Excel and Access. Would like to study up more on Linux,Oracle,Access, SQL as well.

I review my CAPPA material (esp tech stuff) to keep my knowledge fresh. I try to at least look over industry mags, newsletters,etc I can get my hands on, even if I don't really understand it (i.e. tech operations stuff)

I intend on applying at Nexen here. I have names of head p.a. and another p.a. there.They have both heavy oil and gas (conventional and non-c)operations up here, and even better do all their p.a. work here(12-15 p.a.'s), unlike other cos.in Lloyd. A lady in my CAPPA grad class got a job at level 3 as a p.a. with 10 yrs acctg exp-In insur/finance and she makes $55,000/yr.- does all revenue,p.a. and royalty for a group of properties.
I'd be willing to do Joint Venture work for a while, and even AP/AR for a short time if it'll help get my foot in the door.

Thanks again!

Bjv
06-06-2007, 06:19 AM
Hey....still waitin' to hear from you O&G accountants, or anybody who could help me with my questions. Thanks very much!

bubbley
06-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Where have u been applying?

silvercivicsir
06-10-2007, 08:45 PM
only way to get training on Qbyte FM, or Prism would be to take a class at P2. but be you'll be paying atelast 350 for a one day class. ( you get free muffins and juice )..

Si_FlyGuy
06-10-2007, 09:15 PM
I've been to a class at P2, and it was boring as hell. The best way is to learn on the job.

You should be able to get a junior PA position quite easily. AP/AR will probably be too easy for you.

Bjv
06-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by bubbley
Where have u been applying?

I haven't applied anywhere yet, but I've been gathering info from friends and contacts in Lloyd. These are the cos I'm looking at: Nexen, CNRL, Provident, Canetic, and Husky. Not all these cos do p.a. work in Lloyd tho ( Husky esp only data entry stuff).

Bjv
06-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
I've been to a class at P2, and it was boring as hell. The best way is to learn on the job.

You should be able to get a junior PA position quite easily. AP/AR will probably be too easy for you.

Thanks for the advice,man...I talked again to the girl in my class, and she doesn't even have a designation (E.g. CMA,CGA) so I feel pretty good about applying...Thanks for the info about P2...kinda had this feeling that's what I'd hafta do...don't think i will. I agree with u .....get in and get on the job training.

WOuld like to hear how others have made a transition into PA accounting in mid-life. Challenges? Recommendations? CMA's out there - how tough is the entrance exam? Appreciate the help so far.