PDA

View Full Version : Rx-8 / S2000

noob1234
06-01-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm deciding between one of the 2 right now. Just wondering the pro's and con's of each.
Which do you guys think is better.
I'm planning to test drive both to see what i like.
Just looking to hear your experiences with each vehicle.
thanks

slick2404
06-01-2007, 06:47 PM
s2000 ftw

rx-8 is underpowered...weak sauce

dr_jared88
06-01-2007, 06:51 PM
rx-8 :) i really like them. road in both and found the mazda to be more comfortable plus you have the rear seats if you absolutly need to haul a could extra :thumbsup:

JAYMEZ
06-01-2007, 07:38 PM
s2000 FTW

DALLEN
06-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
s2000 FTW

+1 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ryce_boii
06-01-2007, 08:50 PM
s2000 BY FAR

DRKM
06-01-2007, 09:06 PM
I love the s2000 and there are plenty of mods you can do.
But for arguments sake, the RX-8 has plenty of potential. I was reading in a Car and driver? Some mag that there is a company in the States that will Turbo the RX-8 for $8000 which is including Everything. I can not remember the exact specs but the car ran consitant 11.3's. Which is pretty damn good for 8K...

I would have a very difficult time decieding between them for sure.

Anton
06-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Choose the one you like. Everyone hates the RX-8 for one reason or another and everyone loves the S2000, especially on Beyond. Don't let that get to you and just pick what you like.

As much as I love the S2000 and drove one quite a bit (when I was choosing my car, my co-worker had an s2000 and I drove it a lot) I still went with the overly lumpy looking Mazda...

katana9x4
06-01-2007, 10:28 PM
s2000 guy, or an FD

RaptorGJC
06-01-2007, 10:36 PM
I say S2000 because 1. I like "good" hondas and 2. Mazda ~ Ford

max_boost
06-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Driven both. I personally found them rather similar. If you want the extra room, bit of luxury, stability control and daily driving ability, get the RX8. If you want an all out raw sports car, get the S2K.

4doorj
06-02-2007, 12:04 AM
i love them both! i wish i could have one of each!
either way you will be happy

best thing i like about the rx8 in the red rx8 the red and black interior
i love it :love:

RX_EVOLV
06-02-2007, 01:35 AM
Beinga Rx8 owner, here is my bias opinion.

First you dont buy the RX8 for the power, you buy it for its handling ability. If you want something that push you to the back of your seat get something like a WRX. But it is IMO underpowered, but not as much as it seems on paper.

The S2000 is definitely a sportier car than the RX8, but the RX8 is more daily drivable. By giving up the convertible and a bit of sportiest you get more practicality (2 back seats + bigger truck), more comfort ( road noise, ride comfort), more toys (powered seat, homelink, 9 speakers System, autodimming mirror, stability control etc.. )

So imo if you are looking for daily driver... RX8 FTW, but if you are looking for a fun weekend car.. S2000 for sure.

Team_Mclaren
06-02-2007, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by RaptorGJC
I say S2000 because 1. I like "good" hondas and 2. Mazda ~ Ford

Wow , that has been beat to shit, Mazda designs SOME of their own cars... RX8 being one of them. As much as ford owns them, Mazda =/ Ford..:rolleyes:

stevo 27
06-02-2007, 02:04 AM
s2000 panty dropper :D :poosie:

Anton
06-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by stevo 27
s2000 panty dropper :D :poosie:

Not really true. It's mostly the guys that drool over the S2000s. The girls dig the 8.

stevo 27
06-03-2007, 05:12 PM
girls love driving topless :D

pinoyhero
06-03-2007, 08:16 PM
S2000
-topless, sick RPM, insane handling, great looks

RX-8
-girly car, underpowered, far more common

carzcraz
06-03-2007, 08:34 PM
I was in the same dilemma as you last May before deciding to go with the S2000.

Your best bet is to just drive both and read what owners have had to say about their cars. I was very close to purchasing the RX-8 (this one had the red and black interior), if it were not for my fiance suggesting we drive the 350z and S2000 first.

I also took into consideration the resale value of both cars, and the long term reliability of them.

After the S2000 test drive, there was no question that that was the best and only choice for me. IMO, they are both good cars, but I do admit that I enjoy the rarity of being a female owning this car!

:burnout:

khtm
06-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
S2000
-topless, sick RPM, insane handling, great looks

RX-8
-girly car, underpowered, far more common

You obviously know nothing about the RX-8 if you use "sick RPM" as a positive for the S2000.

:thumbsdow

IMO they're both awesome cars in they're own way. If you're looking for a real DRIVER'S CAR, either one is definitely that. But it all depends on what you're looking for. If you want a comfortable daily driver that you can drive all year long (yeah even in the snow), get the RX-8. If you want a better performer and/or love convertibles, get the S2000. Also if money is a factor, the RX-8 is cheaper and insurance is usually less (it's considered a sedan), but the S2000 is better on gas. Oh, and the S2000 is arguably more reliable but definitely has better resale.

GGTTSS-44
06-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Are you going through a dealership with a warrenty on either vehicle??

If not, I would stay away from the RX8. Were still dealing with a rotary vehicle here.
RX8 means More maintenence, expensive to work on the engine in consideration of the S2k, Also the engine itself won't last aslong during hard driving unless you tune it regularly. By no means is the RX8 the complicated mess the FD is, however it still can cause issues.

The RX8 also Eats oils, you must fill up a litre of oil ever 2 fillups depending on the condition of your vehicle, plus it is a gasoline guzzler.

IMO the S2K is a honda. * through and through * Better gas mileage, better reliability, longer life span, you can push it harder, further without issues, its cheaper to work on, easier to maintain.

Now is this your second car or daily driver? Second car should be a fun sporty track whore, the S2k speaks that all the way.
If someone wants a daily driver you could go rx8, they handle decent in the winter with winter tires, the S2k would handle horrible in the winter, you don't even want it near snow let alone heavy rain.

I would go S2k, you will save money in the long run, and the re-sale value will be much higher.

In about 5 years time not many people are going to wanto spend more then 20K on an rx8 aspecially if they have 80xxx Plus kilometers on them, due to the fact there a rotary.

Please don't flame this post, I may be comming across as bias towards the rotary engine.

I could talk all day about how amazing of an engine it trully is, and how the design is flawless, and that aslong as you regularly baby it, it can go for a loong loong time, but this is not what the thread is about.

I'm simply stating the truth, With less maintenence the S2k will last longer and will cause less heart ache, the RX8 needs allot more attention.

Driving wize, we have a 9000 RPM Redline Rotary...that is pure sex.

for S2k we have a 8500 redline N/A go-cart.

go with S2k.

or ditch both and buy a skyline:poosie: jk..

VWGTIVR6
06-03-2007, 11:00 PM
S2000 of course.
The best about the S is the fuel efficiency. My old S used about 8.5L/100km.
In addition, it handled better than the RX8 that I test drove, and way more power. The look is definitely 10x better than the RX8. One bad thing is the rear visibility, especially if you get the newer ones with the glass rear window.
And of course, Honda > Mazda in quality.

gpomp
06-03-2007, 11:02 PM
all the RX8's i've seen are driven by girls or really fobby looking guys. :dunno:

SlowLude
06-03-2007, 11:17 PM
It all comes down to the back seats. The RX-8 is not weak and not totally underpowered. If you add back seats onto an S2000, add 2 rear doors and the extra sheet metal, then its going to practically be the same car. The Renesis is not mod friendly, but its definitely a unique experience. The S2000 has a better resale value, but if you don't sell your car, you're ok! :) And all that talk about the rotary being unreliable, it's all talk. More than half the people who bad-mouth the rotary have not owned one. But a rotary car will force you to "know" your car. In the end, this comparison is apples to oranges. 2-seat convertible vs. 4-door coupe. They both have excellent things about them, it all depends on what you value the most: pure 2-seater convertible sports car or a more practical fun-driving coupe?

CSMRX7
06-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Ok I am going to reply to this thread, I have owned severak rotaries, driven an RX8 and an S2000 on the track.

The RX8 is mor convenient and is daily drivable year round. It is however worse on gas but cheaper on insurance.

The RX8 is somewhat underpowered as a track car, but on the street the undepowered car is a lot mor fun as you can push the engine harder and be "less illegal."

The RX8 is an extremely well balanced car and very forgiving, where as the s2000 (especially the AP1) always feels like your on a knifes edge as you approach the limit.

As far as the reliability questions the Renesis is NA, look at the historical reliability of NA rotaries, they are usually just as reliable as most piston based engines.

All this being said, I would most likely get the S2000, but it would be a track car not a daily driver.

em2ab
06-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Have you considered the BMW Z4 as well? I've driven the S2000 and didn't like it a whole lot, I'm wondering if the Z4 would be similar. I think it looks better than the 2 cars you mentioned and should be near the same price.

noob1234
06-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Its going to be my daily driver, im not getting from dealership im going with a private sale. I'm sort of worried about the rotary, but then also that i can't drive the s2k year round. Such a hard decision!
Ive only driven the RX-8 so far and i like it, but i'll wait till i drive the s2k to make my decision. Anybody here drive theres in the winter? is it that bad?

Accord_tunerx
06-04-2007, 01:03 AM
RX-8 with mazdaspeed *drool! ahha in blue or white and red omg sick!

and i want that to be my next car! down teh road...mazdaspeed rx-8 silver is pretty nice too!

http://www.exoticcarsite.com/pictures/tuners/mazdaspeed/rx-8/mazdaspeed_rx-8-1.jpg

http://www.exoticcarsite.com/pictures/tuners/mazdaspeed/rx8/mazdaspeed_mazda_rx8_concept-1.jpg

Alak
06-04-2007, 01:05 AM
I drove an Rx-8 in the winter with winter tires and it was fabulous. They have minimal problems starting in the cold.

I've driven an S2k a few times, and my big pet peeve was the VTEC + Rush hour. It was like having two different engines under the hood. You'd build RPM, BANG VTEC, then you'd have to stop again.

On the other hand, the lack of low end tourque in the rotary had a similar effect in you had to build alot of RPM, BUT the gearing was much more daily driver friendly.

The S2K had a nice interior that everything was hidden, and activated with alot of hands on switches. But there were like a Millionty of them. And the Graphic Tachometer? No thanks. I like to see the RX-8 Tachometer wind out to 9500RPM and hear that buzzer wail in protest.

For straight power, S2000 is a no brainer. Honda built a nice car.

For Daily Driver, unique sound, and haul 3 of your friends around in moderate comfort, RX-8 for the win.

Having owned many 2 seat roadster daily drivers, you'd want an RX-8 for the simple practicality.

pinoyhero
06-04-2007, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by khtm

You obviously know nothing about the RX-8 if you use "sick RPM" as a positive for the S2000.

:thumbsdow

IMO they're both awesome cars in they're own way. If you're looking for a real DRIVER'S CAR, either one is definitely that. But it all depends on what you're looking for. If you want a comfortable daily driver that you can drive all year long (yeah even in the snow), get the RX-8. If you want a better performer and/or love convertibles, get the S2000. Also if money is a factor, the RX-8 is cheaper and insurance is usually less (it's considered a sedan), but the S2000 is better on gas. Oh, and the S2000 is arguably more reliable but definitely has better resale.

Yes you're right sorry, I forgot about the RPM range of the the RX-8. That being said there's no question that the s2000 pwns the 8. And for the record i know very little about the RX-8 but have owned the s2000, and the reason why is because i test drove the rx and didn't need anymore to decide that other cars in that price range were superior.

4doorj
06-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by noob1234
Its going to be my daily driver, im not getting from dealership im going with a private sale. I'm sort of worried about the rotary, but then also that i can't drive the s2k year round. Such a hard decision!
Ive only driven the RX-8 so far and i like it, but i'll wait till i drive the s2k to make my decision. Anybody here drive theres in the winter? is it that bad?

i know alot of people that drove their s2000 in the winter!
i did, it was my daily driver for 2 years!
extremly fun in the snow :thumbsup:

my new one though wont touch the snow

arian_ma
06-04-2007, 09:04 AM
S2K in the snow is fun, I don't know how safe it is as I never drove mine if there was more than 1 cm of snow, but fun regardless.

Also, to whoever said the S has 8500 redline, that's not right.
It is either 9K or 8K, depending on the model year.

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-04-2007, 09:10 AM
It comes down to preferences and what your looking for... I would buy an s2000 over an rx8 any day of the week, but that doesn't mean i wouldn't buy an rx8... They're both awesome cars, but for me the big deciding factor would be whether i need the back seat or not.

Test drive both then come back and tell us what you think

tawheed
06-04-2007, 09:13 AM
mazda has 4 seats - a lil more practicality.. the s2k is literally tiny inside..

4doorj
06-04-2007, 09:22 AM
get a blue or red rx8 and get the mazdaspeed kit :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Anton
06-04-2007, 09:29 AM
The oil issue isn't bad at all. I check my oil every week and I didn't have to top up my oil even once between my last two oil changes (6,000 kms). That may be because mine is an '07 and I drive fairly conservative :dunno:

I really love the S2000 and my RX-8 but the choice in picking one should be simple.

The drive and feel is absolutely different, the RX-8 has more Luggage space and 4 seats.
The RX-8 is more driver friendly.
The S2000 is a great performance car.

Originally posted by gpomp
all the RX8's i've seen are driven by girls or really fobby looking guys. :dunno:

Really? I only see 40 year old men and women driving them :rofl:

I don't know if I'm fobby looking but I'm asian and have a shaved head?? If someone sees me, wave!

Anton
06-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by 4doorj
get a blue or red rx8 and get the mazdaspeed kit :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

HEY! White is the best.. :thumbsup:

RX_EVOLV
06-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Anton

HEY! White is the best.. :thumbsup:

Cooper Red FTW :D
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/rx_evolv/S2k%20vs%20RX8/up2.jpg

jdmXSI
06-04-2007, 10:29 AM
I would recomend the S2000 all the way. There were a number of recalls on the Genisis engine from Mazda and whati liked the most about the S2000, was that when your driving the car, you feel like your apart of the car.

SlowLude
06-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Dude, get your facts straight. It's Renesis, not Genisis. And there was only 1 recall. One. And it was a compression test; hardly a recall. See.. you hear one bad thing, which isn't even as bad as some other recalls out there, and everyone starts to think its unreliable.

Originally posted by jdmXSI
I would recomend the S2000 all the way. There were a number of recalls on the Genisis engine from Mazda and whati liked the most about the S2000, was that when your driving the car, you feel like your apart of the car.

Anton
06-04-2007, 02:07 PM
There are really bad cases though, I'm surprised rotten hasn't made his way in here yet. He went through numerous engines, however, he still loves the car.

With that being said, there are lemons with everything.

4doorj
06-04-2007, 02:16 PM
He went through numerous engines, however, he still loves the car.

wow
that sounds scary!

BlueFrenzy
06-04-2007, 02:42 PM
CSMRX7 cleared up a lot of misconceptions on rotaries, here are some more:

with regards to oil usage ... you do NOT need to fillup oil every 2nd fill up --> due to the design of the rotary, it does use more oil than a regular car BUT does not use as much as you would think. I find that I need to put in an extra 1/4-1/5 quart roughly every 4500km --> with my old piston cars, I found ~5000 (almost for an oil change anyways).

Again to touch on the reliability of the rotary engine ... it is just as reliable as a piston in NA situations. If anything, if not abused (9000rpm clutch drops will eventually break everything), can outlast a piston --> why? Less moving parts.

Sure for Ford owns a large share of Mazda but the rx8 was designed primarily in Japan. The vehicle itself is made in Hiroshima --> so no worries on the workmanship

I play goalie in hockey so for me carrying capacity was a factor. I looked at the rx8, s2000, STI, 350z, G35, and z4. I liked all the cars (350z was a bit stiffer in handling vs s2000) but in the end I needed something versatile. No matter how I tried, I simple could not fit anything larger than a golf bag into the roadsters. The STI is a VERY powerful car but I honestly will never use it to it's full potential and found that the interior is a bit sparse (that's the point I guess). In the end it came down to G35 and RX8. Interior of the G35 is very nice and had great gadgets. Interior of RX8 is nice, suicide doors are great for getting cargo into backseats (ie hockey gear) and almost feels like a cockpit of a plane (similar to how it feels in a Celica or RSX). Personally, I liked the 50/50 handling of the rx8 compared to the G35 --> the G35 feels softer (that's their goal seeing as that it's a luxury vehicle).

If I were to pick based on bench drag racing --> I would pick the s2000 because it has almost as much HP, +10ft/lb more, and is about 500lbs lighter --> which would make it the faster drag car. I've never driven the s2000 on the track so I can't comment on how well it would do, but with the rx8, I find that cornering is very easy and that you can take corners a bit faster --> I would assume similar handling in the s2000 on the track

If I were to pick based on real world driving --> I pick the rx8 for its versatility. Assuming you go manual, the gear ratio for the 8 is quite close making it useful around town (no tall gears) --> the gearing in the s2000 is good as well but got a bit annoying in rush hour. Clutch effort is normal and the clutch is pretty forgiving. Shift effort is smooth but throws are bit farther than with the s2000. I found the s2000 shifter to be shorter and more bolt action (which I like). In the end, it comes down to what you need it for and how you like either of them ... so quit reading and go driving!

Another thing, I wouldn't choose a car based on what other people think of it (ie girl car, ricer car, fob-mobile, etc) --> that's just immature. It's like saying that all people that drive Preludes/Civics are ricers, all people that drive Fords 150 are rednecks, all people that drive Escalades are drug dealers, all people that drive BMWs have something up their rear, etc.

*sarcasm starts* By the way, both s2000 and rx8 are chick cars --> both were driven by chicks in our forum favorite Fast and the Furious movies. If you want a real man's car, get what our hero Vin Diesel drove ... 1970 Dodge Charger! *sarcasm ends*

jsn
06-04-2007, 02:48 PM
i don't get why people call rx-8s girl cars? i personally love the look of the rx-8. Didn't like it at first but it really grew on me. I think preludes and celicas are more chick cars then rx-8s IMO. I see more girls driving those than rx-8s. But in terms of practicality, having a 2 seater does have its cons. I can't fit too much in my deuce, and obviously I can't carry more than one passenger which can be a big inconvenience sometimes. At least the rx-8 you can carry more than 1 person if you absolutely need to (although it might be uncomfortable). But if you want pure sports car, I'd go with the s2000. 2 seater's are fun to drive :thumbsup:

Impreza
06-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV

Cooper Red FTW :D
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/rx_evolv/S2k%20vs%20RX8/up2.jpg

That's COPPER Red ;)

4doorj
06-04-2007, 03:02 PM
i wish i could have both cars! damn

gpomp
06-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by jsn
i don't get why people call rx-8s girl cars?
every time i see one it's a girl driving. kinda like the vw beetle.

Impreza
06-04-2007, 03:24 PM
^That's true. I usually see older woman (40y/o+) driving them.

max_boost
06-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj
i wish i could have both cars! damn You could have but you went and bought the Civic instead!!

Anyway, who cares if it's a 'chicks car' just because it's designed to appeal that way or if in fact more women drive it oppose to men. If you like it, buy it! Whenever someone uses that line on my car, I say I bought it for my gf, yeah ballling lol :rofl:

4doorj
06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
You could have but you went and bought the Civic instead!!

Anyway, who cares if it's a 'chicks car' just because it's designed to appeal that way or if in fact more women drive it oppose to men. If you like it, buy it! Whenever someone uses that line on my car, I say I bought it for my gf, yeah ballling lol :rofl:

but the civic is wayyyyyyy cheaper! haha

and i wanted gas milage

yeah i dont care what people think... just do what ever u want

heavyD
06-04-2007, 04:27 PM
There are really bad cases though, I'm surprised rotten hasn't made his way in here yet. He went through numerous engines, however, he still loves the car.

With that being said, there are lemons with everything.

I know I guy that bought a new RX8 and after two years of constant ecu re-flashes, replaced catalytic converters, constant oil top ups (apparently just adding oil is an ordeal), prematurely cracking leather seats, etc, he got rid of it calling it the worst car he's ever owned.

S2000 all the way. In fact don't be surprised to see the RX8 put to rest by Mazda soon as it has not been particularily successful in the U.S. as sales the past few years have been low.

cloud7
06-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

In fact don't be surprised to see the RX8 put to rest by Mazda soon as it has not been particularily successful in the U.S. as sales the past few years have been low.

I won't be surprised when the RX8 goes... because it will be replaced by the RX7... lol. Mazda recently said that they will continue with its rotary engine program... so it is not going away any time soon.

Maxt
06-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Id go for the Rx8, not that I have any kind of bias or anything like that...
Some things dogging the 8 are the same things that dogged the FD, the dealerships dont understand the car. Rx8s have been pretty stellar performers in Japan..

SlowLude
06-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Winning Blue FTMFW!!!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/dreaming_58/CIMG5139.jpg

AhabTheArab
06-26-2007, 12:21 AM
reliability is out of the question. these days cars last longer. I beat the shit out of my RX-8 and I've never had any issues. If you are complaining about putting oil in every couple thousand km you shouldn't even be buying either one of these cars. this site is a joke. go drive the cars and make the decision yourself. i personally think the s2000 should be compared to a dinky miata. compare those.

Revhard
06-26-2007, 12:27 AM
Tough call. Both are severely underpowered, so I would consider mods part of the deal.
I would buy a used s2000 and f/i.
If you are going new, the 10,000 less for the rx-8 has to be considered an advantage in it's direction.
Good chance the s2000 will have less issues simply based on years to work out the bugs, but the colours suck.
Rx-8 FTW based on new, and above statements.

SilverRex
06-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Rx8/S2000

I think two are completely different cars.

Like everyone else,
if you want peace of mind

pick the S2000 for the following reason

-trackdays,
-Reliability

or pick the Rx8 for the following reason

-practicality
-everyday driving comfort

however either car you will want to spice it up a bit. Both looks kinda dull stock wise in today's standard, But both would look like a killer machine if you drop it a bit with aftermarket rims and a nice lip and spoiler.

:)

rc2002
06-26-2007, 08:22 AM
OP, have you test driven both yet? I think the test drive will be the deciding factor.

I found the RX8 severely lacking in power when I drove it. It looks fast, but it's slow as hell. This thread here would turn me off from RX8s. What kind of car needs 2 engine changes in 3 years?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/179910/my-rant-kramer-mazda/

Then again the S2K isn't my first choice for a daily driver either. The cramped cabin would bug the hell out of me after a while. I think the cabin noise would too. It'd be an awesome weekend driver though.

I would suggest looking at a G35C.

92Mx-3
06-26-2007, 05:20 PM
S2000 ftw :D