PDA

View Full Version : Mazda3 GT or Lancer GTS

viperous
06-02-2007, 11:03 AM
So this actually is going to be my first vehicle purchase in my life. I don't plan of getting another vehicle anytime in the next 7 years, so I want something that'll last me and something that I would love to drive. I recently got a raise at work putting me in a good position for financing this vehicle on top of my other expenses in life.

So it all comes down to the Mazda GT or Lancer GTS. I'd like to hear both pros and cons on these vehicles. These both are the latest models also. I'm gonna book a test drive with both sometime in the next month once my schedule clears up. And last, I expect to purchase this vehicle by the end of August.

Mazda GT - $22,950.00

Lancer GTS - $23,193.00 (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/2008/Lancer/Welcome.aspx?lng=2)

Any wise advice for a first buyer is welcome also.

waypastfast
06-02-2007, 11:06 AM
I would go mazda 3. Also consider Subaru Impreza 2.5i for a third choice. Has similiar power and is AWD!!

katana9x4
06-02-2007, 11:13 AM
My parents bought an '06 Mazda 3... nice interior, nice handling, decent looks, and its pretty quick for only 160 hp or whatever it has. I'd go with the mazda.

IMO the only thing the mitsu has is their warranty.

EDIT: new lancer does look pretty tight though, but I've never driven one so I dunno :dunno:

TC2002
06-02-2007, 11:28 AM
I've been driving my GT for a couple of years now, and I think it's great for what you are paying for it. It's my first car (that is not used) and it feels faster and handles better than what I originally thought. It's a good starter car for sure.

I can hook you up with a good sales person for the GT if you're interested. Pm if interested.

zoik
06-02-2007, 11:38 AM
did you hear about the break in problem with the mazda 3's? apparently if it was made after jan 2007 they have a reinforced panel to solve this problem but it doesn't mean ppl aren't going to try.

dj_rice
06-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I'd go with the Lancer said you said you wont be changing cars in 7 years and Mitsu has the best warranty so ur pretty much covered for awhile...

As for looks I'd go with Mazda 3

aypi
06-02-2007, 12:19 PM
i'd go with the lancer :thumbsup:

oz388
06-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Go for Lancer, that will be one of your best decision :devil:

Speed_69
06-02-2007, 12:42 PM
How is mitsubishi lancer's resale value?

jbabante
06-02-2007, 12:55 PM
lancer!!! mazda has ford engine :nut: lolz!

redsrt4
06-02-2007, 01:06 PM
i'll go with 08 lancer gts, as i drive this car.. love it.. more on computer or magnetic..

2006lancer
06-02-2007, 01:17 PM
just throwing it out there...lancer for sure

crazy_mofo
06-02-2007, 02:17 PM
go for a lancer
it looks nicer then a mazda 3
:D

guessboi
06-02-2007, 04:49 PM
go with the new lancer since they just re-styled it. Mazda3 might get a style change in a few years from now. :D IMO, u can't go wrong with both cars. very nice choices!

Aleks
06-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by jbabante
lancer!!! mazda has ford engine :nut: lolz!

Lancer engine was developed with Hyundai and DaimlerChrysler, does that mean it sucks too?

foos_guy
06-02-2007, 05:15 PM
I've been driving my Mazda 3 for just about a year now and haven't had any problems... I would definitely recommend it! :thumbsup:

Also check the reliability in consumer reports... the lancer doesn't fare too well...

WWJAI
06-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Lancer GTS FTW. They look 'effin hot!:drool:

Eleanor
06-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Lancer engine was developed with Hyundai and DaimlerChrysler, does that mean it sucks too?

Clearly, anything made by the states sux, didn't you get the memo? :rolleyes:

pardip_johal
06-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Mazda 3 for sure:thumbsup: :hitit:

Xtrema
06-03-2007, 01:10 AM
The only problems I have Mazda 3

1 - auto tranmission sucks, engine not best in the pack.
2 - my right knee keep banging the center stack
3 - rear seat is too small
4 - trunk opening is too small.

Otherwise, it handles great and a great little car.

Have not tried Lancer but from what I've read, power is good but stay away from the CVT.

nederlande
06-03-2007, 01:17 AM
warranty is better for mitsu
personal experience : my mazda service at kramer has been better than heritage meadows circle service at mitsu
both japanese cars, mitsu rated lower on japanese market
looks are better on mitsu, looks more potent and aggresive
some mazda's are still made in japan which is a +, unlike mitsu

resell value for both is unfortunately bad ... in the end, choose mazda

rys.mak
06-03-2007, 01:20 AM
Mazda 3..in white:drool:

Accord_tunerx
06-03-2007, 01:49 AM
yeah! Mazda 3 in white , and no the mazda 3 is not a ford engine. mazda3 is still made in japan and shares the same chasis platform as the volvo s40.
mitsu looks okay besides the volvo looking front end, and the warranty is great on the mitsu. so yeah it's your pick, just go drive both and see what you prefer, it's your money and nobody else's so make the right decision. so good luck with your purchase man :thumbsup:

viperous
06-03-2007, 01:59 AM
Though I am aware of the defect for 06 models for the mazda3, I was wondering if it's true that people still try with the 07 models and leave a dent?

Damn, this is a tough choice. Thanks for all the comments, and will accept more.

bspot
06-03-2007, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by waypastfast
Also consider Subaru Impreza 2.5i for a third choice. Has similiar power and is AWD!!

:werd:

takumi25
06-03-2007, 06:31 AM
+1 for the 2008 mitsubishi lancer gts because of warranty, features and space.

jbabante
06-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

as you said,,, at least its not PURE domestic ;) so it wouldn't suck as much as mazda... in conclusion, between lancer (hyundai/daimlerchrysler :D ) and mazda (ford) Mazda would suck more...:

lilmira
06-03-2007, 09:11 AM

as you said,,, at least its not PURE domestic ;) so it wouldn't suck as much as mazda... in conclusion, between lancer (hyundai/daimlerchrysler :D ) and mazda (ford) Mazda would suck more...:

Great advice, what a car enthusiast. Aston Martin must suck big time too when it was owned by Ford.

barbarian
06-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
The only problems I have Mazda 3

1 - auto tranmission sucks, engine not best in the pack.
2 - my right knee keep banging the center stack
3 - rear seat is too small
4 - trunk opening is too small.

Otherwise, it handles great and a great little car.

Have not tried Lancer but from what I've read, power is good but stay away from the CVT.
I found that 1) was definitely true for the 2.0 L engine. 2) was only a problem on the auto-transmission models for me. Ended up buying the 2.3L engine and manual transmission anyways.

Someone said the engine is Ford--the engine is designed by Mazda and made by mazda, but Ford also makes their own version of the same engine.

bigbadboss101
06-03-2007, 09:58 AM
For uniqueness the Lancer. The Mazda drives nicely though and it's been around. Mitsu have the long warranty and it does look nice. Haven't driven it so can't come to a conclusion.

Dirty_SOHC
06-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by waypastfast
Also consider Subaru Impreza 2.5i for a third choice. Has similiar power and is AWD!!

X3

The subaru has the most power and the biggest motor!

Eyezie
06-03-2007, 02:39 PM
I owned a Lancer RA for 2 yrs now ... after test driving a Subaru and Mazda 3 I ended up with the Lancer cause I got a pretty good deal on it. I drive the city on average 100 to 150 Km a day doing photo work. I drive the car like I stole it. I'm abusive to it where I take it out to oil fields and dirt roads that the smallest vehicle I pass is a Ford F150 and love making the biggest dust trail to those F'en jerks who tail gate. I nearly wrote off my car this passed winter where some jack ass in an acura spun out on a frozen bridge and turned into a pinball in front of me cause apparently I was driving too slow doing the speed limit and all. (Dude if your reading this your a JACK ASS!!!!! ... I hope you read this) I been witness to a number of accidents to all sorts of cars/trucks in the Calgary and have photos to prove it ... just pick up a Sun your bound to see an accident photo somewhere in the paper. It's easy news. Anyways I was there when that lancer was doing an insane amount of speed and blasted through the wall on Sarcee Tr. in Calgary and both ppl in the car should be dead ... seriously for all the car accidents I been to where ppl should have died. There were 2 vehicles that stood out big time. Mitsu Lancer was nothing more then a twisted pile of metal and plastic. And believe it or not a dodge Durango that was ripped apart by a Semi on Crowchild Tr. I know ppl are going to tell me there are stories of all sorts of cars in weird accidents that survive and yadda yadda yadda. I'm just telling you what I see everyday. I am happy and love my Mitsu and I swear that I will buy another one. Maybe you think its my mistake but the car has hauled ass and again and again for me. So I'd say go for the Lancer, besides over the past 2 years not a single thing fell off, broke off, no weird problems, no nothing. It is a tight car in my opinion and made best for having the crap beat out of it.

jbabante
06-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

Great advice, what a car enthusiast. Aston Martin must suck big time too when it was owned by Ford.

well if they are... then they suck too :poosie: and dude u put to much effort replying threads or googling responses... if u put more efforts in real life, you could've prolly give up the zoom-zoom and get a real ride :bigpimp:

lilmira
06-03-2007, 04:30 PM

well if they are... then they suck too :poosie: and dude u put to much effort replying threads or googling responses... if u put more efforts in real life, you could've prolly give up the zoom-zoom and get a real ride :bigpimp:

May be you should spend a little time reading so you may know something. This ain't the matrix Neo.
By the way, smileys do not cover up stupidity. Abuse of smileys will only make you look even more stupid.

To the OP, since you are financing, you should consider the rate too. The current rate for a lancer is 5.8 while the rate for a 3 is 1.9.

barbarian
06-03-2007, 06:08 PM
To the OP, since you are financing, you should consider the rate too. The current rate for a lancer is 5.8 while the rate for a 3 is 1.9.

Good to also point out that the Mazda 3 is proven, but the Lancer is new this year. Maybe some of the wrinkles will need to be ironed out in the first model year.

PDRguy
06-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by viperous
Though I am aware of the defect for 06 models for the mazda3, I was wondering if it's true that people still try with the 07 models and leave a dent?

Damn, this is a tough choice. Thanks for all the comments, and will accept more.

We have seen around 15 Mazda's in the last 2 1/2 weeks for dent repair. The idiot's kicking these cars don't check for model year or even that it is a Mazda 3 - they see Mazda badge and kick it. We even repaired a Mazda 5. Global TV really screwed Mazda owners in Calgary. Oh, and the reinforced doors are worse, they just get kicked harder.

Check out a Subie just for comparison - can't hurt.

heavyD
06-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Lots of misconceptions in this thread for me to clean up.

1. The 2.3L in the Mazda 3 is a Mazda Engine not Ford. The chasis though is shared with the Focus and Volvo C30.
2. Only the Mitsubishi Galant & Eclipse is made in the USA at the old Diamond Star plant in Illinois. Lancers, Outlanders are made in Japan.
3. Mitsubishi's as a whole have better reliability than Mazdas. We owned a new 2002 Protege 5 and it was a POS and even started to rust after three years. We replaced that problem riddled POS with a new 2004 Lancer Ralliart which has had zero issues of any kind. We were so impressed that we decided to stay with Mitsubishi and traded it in on a 2007 Outlander XLS.

I've lost faith in Mazda and would definately recommend going with the Lancer GTS which IMO is the nicest under $30K car you can buy with the Civic coming a close second.

heavyD
06-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC

X3

The subaru has the most power and the biggest motor!

In reality the 2.5i is a dawg with the AWD setup and is not only far uglier than the Mazda 3 or Lancer, it is slower than both also.

silver_gs-R
06-04-2007, 01:16 PM
MAZDA 3 :drool:

4 sure!!!

barbarian
06-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Lots of misconceptions in this thread for me to clean up.

1. The 2.3L in the Mazda 3 is a Mazda Engine not Ford. The chasis though is shared with the Focus and Volvo C30.

The European MK 2 focus, not the N.A. Focus.

barbarian
06-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by PDRguy

We have seen around 15 Mazda's in the last 2 1/2 weeks for dent repair. The idiot's kicking these cars don't check for model year or even that it is a Mazda 3 - they see Mazda badge and kick it. We even repaired a Mazda 5. Global TV really screwed Mazda owners in Calgary. Oh, and the reinforced doors are worse, they just get kicked harder.

Check out a Subie just for comparison - can't hurt.
What ever happened to the days when these guys just smashed every window on every car on the block?

PDRguy
06-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by barbarian

What ever happened to the days when these guys just smashed every window on every car on the block?

Get this. On Saturday at about 3:00am I was awakened by the sound of a car crash, then another and another and another - by this time I am running out the front door to see what's going on, just in time to hear a final crash and the sound of a car taking off west dragging a non-functioning wheel for miles. There must have been about 12 of my neighbors on the phone to the police, and one took off in his Suburban to try and find the guy. Hawc2 was flying around looking too. I don't know if they found him but he sideswiped a Saturn, a Subaru - then rammed a motorcyle under another subaru, pulled a u-turn Side swiped a Grand Am and a Toyota then peeled off. (apparently had to back up and try again with the Grand Am - he missed the first time)

Dren
06-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Lancer GTS:thumbsup:

jbabante
06-05-2007, 10:59 AM

May be you should spend a little time reading so you may know something. This ain't the matrix Neo.
By the way, smileys do not cover up stupidity. Abuse of smileys will only make you look even more stupid.

lease it BABY :bigpimp: my friend just leased a lancer, and by the time his done his due to get the EVO 10 :eek: :eek: :eek: ON THE OTHER HAND.... if u leased or finance a MAZDA ur due to get a ZOOM-ZOOM 10? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

viperous
06-05-2007, 01:34 PM

lease it BABY :bigpimp: my friend just leased a lancer, and by the time his done his due to get the EVO 10 :eek: :eek: :eek: ON THE OTHER HAND.... if u leased or finance a MAZDA ur due to get a ZOOM-ZOOM 10? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Though I hardly understood what you just said...:confused:

But as of now, I'm really leaning towards the Lancer. I really like the insurance that comes with Mitsubishi. Though I realize that most of differences between the DE, ES, GTS is mainly cosmetic.

One of the turn offs for me and the Mazda3 is that defect. I'm hearing more and more stories about the defect that I rather not risk it. And I'm seeing more of them on the streets anyways.

katana9x4
06-05-2007, 01:35 PM

lay off the crack pimp daddy

reiRei
06-05-2007, 01:47 PM
.. I'm not biased or anything... but
go for the lancer!:thumbsup:

heavyD
06-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by viperous
But as of now, I'm really leaning towards the Lancer. I really like the insurance that comes with Mitsubishi. Though I realize that most of differences between the DE, ES, GTS is mainly cosmetic.

Good choice. Better to have a car that shares DNA with the EVO than one that shares DNA with the Focus.:thumbsup:

benyl
06-05-2007, 03:25 PM

Good choice. Better to have a car that shares DNA with the EVO than one that shares DNA with the Focus.:thumbsup:

Is Focus DNA worse than Caliber (Neon / 2.0 sx) DNA? hahahaha ;)

Don't the Lancer and the Caliber share the same "world" 2.4L engine? Oh wait, don't Hyundais as well?

heavyD
06-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Is Focus DNA worse than Caliber (Neon / 2.0 sx) DNA? hahahaha ;)

Don't the Lancer and the Caliber share the same "world" 2.4L engine? Oh wait, don't Hyundais as well?

I knew someone would bring that up.:) They share only the 2.0L block. Mitsubishi hasn't yet utilized a stroked version but rumors of a 2.4L (possibly turbocharged with AWD) Lancer Ralliart that may be aimed to compete with the regular WRX.

jbabante
06-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by katana9x4

lay off the crack pimp daddy

you want me to pass this shiettt...??? :nut: :nut: :nut:
OH YEAH!!! :bigpimp:

zoik
06-06-2007, 08:21 AM
i've taken both out for a spin now, i liked the feel of the lancer better!

Toms-SC
06-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Mazda Speed 3

HuMz
06-06-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm in the same boat right now but im starting to lean alot more towards the Lancer.

The Mazda 3 really is a great car for the price, but there are way too many of them on the road. Not too mention the GTS is very well equiped any handles great as well not too mention looks better IMO.

The civic si and sentra v-spec are 2 other ones you may want to consider for the price.

aypi
06-06-2007, 09:07 PM

lol!!!

thanks for the new sig. :thumbsup:

jay42w8
06-12-2007, 08:39 PM
I bought the Mazda 3 sport GT over the Lancer ES today....the Lancer looked and felt cheap...the interior is completely inferior to the Mazda's

Mazda 3 ftw :thumbsup: (plus they are offering 2.9% max financing rate, that's for 72 months on their '07s until the end of the month)

Boneyard
06-13-2007, 02:34 PM
I have an 06 Mazda 3 GT sedan and it's a great car. It was the runaway choice when I was looking for a car last summer. I didn't even bother looking at the Lancer as it was before this recent model change and couldn't hold a candle to the 3. I've never driven the new Mitsu but I saw one the other day, and it looked really odd. The pictures of the car looked great, but in real life it didn't do it for me. It's nose looks pushed in too far or something...

Also I would be wary of buying a car that is in it's first year of production (new because of redesign). I personally wouldn't buy a car off the first production line. Typically lots of kinks to work out. The only downside to the 3 is the break in flaw. But I think that is dying down already. Like someone said above, they are probably doing it for fun.

It's probably out of your price range, but if you can, get the Speed3. I thought about getting it, but I don't like the hatch at all, but 260hp...:drool:

jay42w8
06-13-2007, 04:05 PM
how come people don't like the hatch as much here? I've been getting teased by my buddies for getting it...I think it looks way better and more sporter...the seden just looks too bland and economy-car looking

heavyD
06-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by jay42w8
how come people don't like the hatch as much here? I've been getting teased by my buddies for getting it...I think it looks way better and more sporter...the seden just looks too bland and economy-car looking

All Mazda 3's have an ugly beak for a front end but the sedan is actaully quite attractive from the rear 3/4's view. The hatchback has the same ugly beak but also a mini-van looking ugly rear end which completes an unnatractive car.

I wouldn't fault anyone for purchasing a Mazda 3 as Mazda was smart and put their money into making an attractive and inviting interior. That combined with the visually pleasing sedan has made the 3 a success. However Mazda's aren't built to last so if you plan on owning the car for a long time you will likely be dissapointed as Mazda's are much like domestics in that they don't age very well.

Mitsubishi improved the interior from the last Lancer but put more effort into the chassis and suspension. For example the base 2008 Lancer has a stiffer chassis than an EVO IX. The interior isn't cheap but it uses hard plastics like Nissan which last but don't have the softness of say a Civic or Mazda 3. The Lancer has features that you can't get in a 3 such as a keyless operating system which once you get used to is extremely convienient, paddle shifters, vehicle information system, navigation system, Rockford Fosgate audio system. IMO the Lancer provides much more bang for the buck and is a more attractive package but to each, his own.

jay42w8
06-13-2007, 07:10 PM
hmm, interesting, I quite like the shape of the hatchback...but yeah, I hear yea on the reliability issue...I got the 84 month extended warranty with it...if I sell the car at my 5 year re-negotiation, the balance of the warranty value will be refunded to me

the interior was what sold me, I'm not buying a car for going fast...I was very impressed with the look and feel of the Mazda's...the Lancer was just too bland looking

heavyD
06-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by jay42w8
hmm, interesting, I quite like the shape of the hatchback...but yeah, I hear yea on the reliability issue...I got the 84 month extended warranty with it...if I sell the car at my 5 year re-negotiation, the balance of the warranty value will be refunded to me

the interior was what sold me, I'm not buying a car for going fast...I was very impressed with the look and feel of the Mazda's...the Lancer was just too bland looking

I'm glad you like your car and don't want to shit on your purchase but just make sure you wash it religiously in the winter as Mazda's don't seem to have good rustproofing. Even if you have warranty they won't do anyting until you have perforation.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=2034739#post2034739

CanadianBoy69
06-27-2007, 12:15 AM
im getting my 2007 mazda3 gt in carbon grey on friday i cannot wait

SilverRex
06-27-2007, 07:09 AM
hmm wasnt there a thread on how poor of quality + services too I believe for a mazda Rx8, though Rx8 is completely different car, but still mazda.

After a quick read thru, I agree with most about at least Mazda 3 is proven and has a few years under its belt, so you should see less problem with it over the new LAncer.

The fact that its in its 1st production year is abit concerning if you worry about realibility, unless of course you somehow love the new lancer and went crazy for it.

Does anyone know if the Mazda 3s are still made in japan? or have they been made in Japan in the past?

that would be my tipping factor as I can assure you, cars built in japan is much better quality than ones built elsewhere. mark my words for it.

check the VIN and see where they are built. if it starts with a "J" then thats made in japan.

anyone know if the new lancer comes from Japan factory?
too bad the new lancer isnt 0% which eventually it will, that would scream "buy me" for everyone when that happens.

P.S if you have the extra money have you consider the new coming 08 accord? that base should have 180hp which would deal nicely for a 4 cyclinder engine. if you going to take a chance on new production car, that would be nice sedan to look at. unless you hate the new look. also, with the new 08 accord coming, I believe the 07 are going to be alot cheaper, rate wise too, and I would take the 07 accord style over the 08 anyday. something to be considered. Anyways back to topic before I get carried away.

personally I would get the new lancer myself. The fact you get 18" wheels for the GTS is nice.

heavyD
06-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex

anyone know if the new lancer comes from Japan factory?

The Lancer is built in Japan but just because any car is built in Japan, that doesn't mean it will be any better than a car assembled in North America.

My 1994 delsol VTEC was built in Japan and interior and paint quality was poor compared to the North American assembled Civics.

CanadianBoy69
06-27-2007, 09:47 AM
the mazda3 is built it japan actually that was one of the things on my list

before i bought a car i need something that was made in japan and this was the main reason i got a mazda3 and wel the fact i got a deal on it aswell

SilverRex
06-27-2007, 10:18 AM

The Lancer is built in Japan but just because any car is built in Japan, that doesn't mean it will be any better than a car assembled in North America.

My 1994 delsol VTEC was built in Japan and interior and paint quality was poor compared to the North American assembled Civics.

I suppose not every car that rolls off the line in Japan are guarantee problem free. however I did have experiences with the quality of an accord coupe which was made in Japan to be far better made then one in north america, and a friend of mine proved to me by showing me the difference in the frame structure. if you open the doors and run your fingers across the frame of the side stills, the one made in Japan is actually smooth where as the non Japan had bumps beneath the paint on the surface.

well everyone has their own opinion, but for me, its the reason why I didnt get a 04 TL back then and picked a TSX. After nearly 60k km, its still problem free :thumbsup: