View Full Version : insuring bike

Intensity
06-02-2007, 06:50 PM
simple question
just wondering if you can insure a bike with your class 5
or do you need your class 6 licence

retro-steve
06-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Mod edit: No need to be an asshole.

Masked Bandit
06-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Yes you can.

benyl
06-05-2007, 01:34 PM
You don't even need a license to insure a vehicle.

Supa Dexta
06-08-2007, 07:02 PM
nm..

spaz1
06-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Intensity
simple question
just wondering if you can insure a bike with your class 5
or do you need your class 6 licence

You can but it costs twice as much

Graham_A_M
06-09-2007, 05:48 PM
^ What insurance company do you go through? my insurance provider (Meloche Monnex) doesn't charge anything additional, as they wont cover anything if a non-class 6 driver is riding it at the time of any sort of accident. :dunno:

SilverBoost
06-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Shop around. Every insurance company is different. I insured mine before I had my license and it didn't cost me anymore than if I had it at that time.

ryder_23
06-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ What insurance company do you go through? my insurance provider (Meloche Monnex) doesn't charge anything additional, as they wont cover anything if a non-class 6 driver is riding it at the time of any sort of accident. :dunno:

Thats funny, cause you can ride a motor cycle legally without a class 6 as long as you have someone with a class 6 following you. so if you have a bike, have it insured, with someone behind you, they wont cover you, but you can legally ride it? Doesnt make sense to me, how is someone suppose to learn how to ride if they dont take a course?

craigcd
06-11-2007, 02:21 PM
I had to supply a fax copy of my licence when i insured my bike.

mark986
06-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Show the insurance company your normal drivers license. You're going to at least have your motorcycle learners. The only way to register your motorcycle is if you have insurance. Once you do that, you can ride with someone who has their actual motorcycle license.

As for taking a course to learn, you don't need to take that. You can learn without it. Depends on the person I guess. You'll just learn a little faster taking the course, maybe.

powerviolence
03-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Hey everyone

Sorry to rehash an old thread, but I am in the same boat. I've had my class 5 for over 10 years now. I've got a class 6 learners and am trying to insure a bike I bought recently, so that I can learn with a friend who said they would teach me how to ride. Every place I've called however says they won't insure me unless I've got my full class 6. Seems silly to me. Anyone able to help me out? Thanks!

theken
03-27-2008, 06:17 PM
hagget and rogers

Chris88CL
03-27-2008, 08:20 PM
I go through Palmer Salmon on center street.

They gave me a month insurance without my full class 6 so I could get my license. Worked out well.

powerviolence
03-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Awesome, thank you for the responses. I will be giving both a call tomorrow to see what they can do for me. I went mental this past long weekend that I couldn't be out there riding and honing my skills.

Intensity
03-27-2008, 09:05 PM
haha well the company i found after posting this thread was bencharski insurance by sunridge mall
cheapest one i found and is year long not 1 month

BrknFngrs
03-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Does anyone know of any companies that charge you on a monthly basis, like car insurance, as opposed to payment upfront in full?

ralliart_girl
03-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Alot of companies do. I'm with Meloche Monnex. The only thing is the first payment is double, and then after that it is monthly for the rest.

BrknFngrs
03-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl
Alot of companies do. I'm with Meloche Monnex. The only thing is the first payment is double, and then after that it is monthly for the rest.

See I have my car with MM but they won't take my bike because of the model. Happen to know anyone else I could call that will take a bike with monthly payments?

powerviolence
03-28-2008, 06:50 PM
So I called those places mentioned above and they were all ready to insure me despite the lack of a full class 6, which is great. I spoke with a fellow named Bill from Diamond Insurance however, after seeing his name mentioned in another post regarding insurance and wow was he ever great to talk to. He was able to provide me the lowest quote and and was able to help me track down some documents I was going to need from my BC insurance company since I am fairly new to the province. Anyways, figured I would post how I got this solved just in case anybody else was in the same situation. Thanks guys and gals!

Go4Long
03-30-2008, 07:37 PM
depending on the size of bike you're insuring a lot of the people I ride with have found the cheapest to be through state farm as state farm insures based on CC only(meaning a 600CC super sport is classed the same as a 600CC cruiser...), also state farm offers significant discounts for having more than one policy...

I insure my car, and my R6, both with full coverage with $500 deductible for $150 a month...

I use paul rutherford(his office is in midnapore) 256-0676

drtoohotty1
04-14-2008, 10:49 PM
just called a bunch of places and Palmer Salmon was almost half of what everyone else was charging another place i called was bentley insurance they were pretty cheap as well but not as friendly so i guess if your stuck call Palmer Salmon and ask for Chris

rony_espana
04-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

See I have my car with MM but they won't take my bike because of the model. Happen to know anyone else I could call that will take a bike with monthly payments?

I know Primmum does monthly payments, but they're really expensive.

2BLUE
04-16-2008, 12:24 AM
bluecircle.ca