PDA

View Full Version : haha Crappy Tire sells slotted rotors!

GTS Jeff
06-02-2007, 09:20 PM
http://akimages.crossmediaservices.com/dyn_li/600.0.90.0/Retailers/CanadianTire/070601ENG_35_Ap1_cmb_1.JPG

http://canadiantire.shoplocal.com/canadiantire/default.aspx?action=detail&flashbrowse=y&storeid=2400529&rapid=408372&pagenumber=35&listingid=-2093224629&ref=%2fcanadiantire%2fdefault.aspx%3faction%3dbrowsepageflash%26storeid%3d2400529%26pagenumber%3d35%26rapid%3d408372%26prvid%3dCATIRE-070601ENG

That is some ridiculous shit...

Tik-Tok
06-02-2007, 09:21 PM
But do they come in plastic chrome coating?

nederlande
06-02-2007, 09:34 PM
looks sexy as hell

am gonna put some on my lawnmower

celly
06-03-2007, 01:10 AM
And the ads on TV are equally bad. I'll stick with my Powerslots, thank you very much. :thumbsup:

nederlande
06-03-2007, 01:11 AM
choose the quality offered by CanTire :poosie:

crazedmodder
06-03-2007, 02:48 AM
They're atomic!!! And wow that small thumbnail really shows how efficiently it moves air, I have to buy these. Shumacher must use them, that's probably why he always wins!

:dunno: It's sad but I know a lot of people who would probably buy these thinking that they would improve something :thumbsdow

Supa Dexta
06-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Screw you guys!

1) the girls love my dragon seat covers
2) my led skull shift knob gets a lot of propz
3) type R stickers go on cool cars, end of story
4) spinners cost too much, 1000's!, my car only cost $450, so hubcaps are all it needs to look super sweet
5) My double edge, reflective wiper blades give me the edge I need when street racing in the rain
6) everyone can see and hear me coming, thanks to my interior neon sticks and sony/jensen system, its boomin!
7) Plus, all you're going to see is my led muffler tip, until I decide to use my new racing slotted rotors at the end of the 1/4 (I only have fronts though, but thats all I need cause they are made for xtreme racing)

:burnout:

whiskas
06-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Yah I saw them yesterday when I was getting new rotors for my car. They're actually cheaper than the Monroes by $10-$15

I went for the Monroes because they have lifetime warranty which is useful considering my car destroys rotors so quickly. The Monroe's fin design was also a bit better than my stock Mopar rotors.

hjr
06-03-2007, 11:49 AM
they claim that they improve pad life. am i mistaken or is that just bunk

EK 2.0
06-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by hjr

you are mistaken...it's Motomaster...nothing they make is bunk my friend.

barbarian
06-03-2007, 03:11 PM
What's the point if the slots don't go radially to the edge?

gpomp
06-03-2007, 03:38 PM
those aren't made by motomaster they are made by ATE, one of the biggest brake manufacturers in the world. those of you who know anything about braking know that this is the same company that makes super blue brake fluid.

Gravy_83
06-03-2007, 04:18 PM
so these would actually be good??? dosn't seem to fit in with canadian tire quality hehe

HillBilly
06-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by celly
I'll stick with my Powerslots, thank you very much. :thumbsup:

And Ill stick with my Brembo's

I must say though, I always take a stroll down ricer alley when I'm in Crappytire. Just to put me in a good mood.

Tik-Tok
06-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by hjr

It improves pad life, by wearing down the rotor instead.

91silvia
06-03-2007, 07:02 PM
hahahah man i work for canadian tire ive sold 3 sets and this one guy came by today saying that they pulsate after putting only 1200km on the car

hjr
06-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

It improves pad life, by wearing down the rotor instead. ? how does that make sense ? confuzzled am i

stevo 27
06-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by hjr
? how does that make sense ? confuzzled am i

Basically GARBAGE :thumbsdow

TurboCarrera
06-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by stevo 27

Basically GARBAGE :thumbsdow

lol... these rotors are as good as any. In case you missed the logo in the image, the description in the link or gpomp's post, these are ATE rotors.

stevo 27
06-03-2007, 09:26 PM
then why they pulsating after 1200km?

i dont think that slotting works all that well
i saw them when i bought some brake clean and they looked cheap

TurboCarrera
06-03-2007, 09:29 PM
then why they pulsating after 1200km?

i dont think that slotting works all that well
i saw them when i bought some brake clean and they looked cheap

most likely green faded them, and if you think slotting doesn't work that well that only shows how little you really know and how invalid your opinion that they "look cheap" is

91silvia
06-03-2007, 09:30 PM
yea man they loooked soooo cheap ... supposidly when the groove runs out its time for you to replace ur rotor

ZyaL8R
06-04-2007, 08:31 AM
........ wtf?

Slotted rotors are supposed to vent gas and slice off the top layer of the brake pad as it rotates, so you're always gripping with fresh pad.

That will... I don't even know what it'll do. I honestly don't know what to say except I think I'll stick with my Stoptechs thanks. :dunno:

crazedmodder
06-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by ZyaL8R
........ wtf?

Slotted rotors are supposed to vent gas and slice off the top layer of the brake pad as it rotates, so you're always gripping with fresh pad.

That will... I don't even know what it'll do. I honestly don't know what to say except I think I'll stick with my Stoptechs thanks. :dunno:

I think all it does is let you know when to replace your rotors :thumbsdow I was very confused at first as well, because it claims to increase pad life, I've never heard of slotted rotors increasing pad life :confused:

What would be bawlling would be if someone painted those grooves hot pink :drool:

gpomp
06-04-2007, 03:20 PM
they never claimed improved pad life. click on the link and read.

hjr
06-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
they never claimed improved pad life. click on the link and read. well their tv spots claim it, and the ad does claim "for optimal performance and brake pad durability"

atomic
06-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by crazedmodder
They're atomic!!! And wow that small thumbnail really shows how efficiently it moves air, I have to buy these. Shumacher must use them, that's probably why he always wins!

:dunno: It's sad but I know a lot of people who would probably buy these thinking that they would improve something :thumbsdow

they're me?! i should get them then!

Ihatetowait
06-04-2007, 07:32 PM
They arent an amazing super race quality rotor, but,

The idea of the slots (whether or not they go to the edge) is to clear small debris and stop it from sticking to the rotor, to help with cooling (mildly, not as much as a real "racing" rotor). They actually can increase pad durability. How this works is it prevents a brake condition called "glazing" or "blueing". Glazing will basically shine up the pad and the rotor to a blue haze and make them basically useless.

It constantly scrapes minute amounts off of the pad, as a plane (like the wood tool) would. It wont increase pad life from optium, rather stop/slow glazing.

gpomp
06-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by hjr
well their tv spots claim it, and the ad does claim "for optimal performance and brake pad durability"
that quote is out of context. i can do that too:

"channel away gas, heat and water for optimal performance and brake pad durability"

10000DAYS
06-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Would whatever it's scraping from the pad be stuck in the groove then? I mean, the only exit point for debris would be in a direction it never wants to go.

I dunno, I'm not the greatest guy with cars but that slot design doesn't make sense to me.

katana9x4
06-04-2007, 08:19 PM
it's a retarded design, no way around it guys - sorry.

Ihatetowait
06-04-2007, 08:55 PM
It is retarded, but not pointless by design.

Do it right or dont do it at all.

A2VR6
06-04-2007, 09:15 PM
They're pretty decent Rotors... ATE has been around for a while and I know for a fact that they are quite popular with alot of the VW crowd.

Sure they might not be quite as good as say Powerslots but they're not midas craptastic quality ones either. I think they're a really good deal for the price you pay.

hjr
06-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by gpomp

that quote is out of context. i can do that too:

"channel away gas, heat and water for optimal performance and brake pad durability" i was not trying to selectively quote. i dont see how putting the whole thing up changes their claim that the rotors have optimal pad durability

crazedmodder
06-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by hjr
i was not trying to selectively quote. i dont see how putting the whole thing up changes their claim that the rotors have optimal pad durability

Ya, doesn't optimal pad durability mean better pad life in any circumstance? Optimal pad durability, regardless of what comes before or after it, is a complete statement, it doesn't matter why it has it, only that it does.

Now I'm not saying the rotors are bad quality, I don't know much about brakes other than stoptech and brembo :) But it seems like useless rice to me nonetheless.

gpomp
06-04-2007, 11:40 PM
they are saying that because it channels away gas, heat and water it would improve brake pad durability.

stevo 27
06-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by TurboCarrera

most likely green faded them, and if you think slotting doesn't work that well that only shows how little you really know and how invalid your opinion that they "look cheap" is

i know slotting works
i was saying that that design is gay and the slotts itself is
so shallow into the rotor its rediculous :thumbsdow

TurboCarrera
06-05-2007, 12:38 AM

i know slotting works
i was saying that that design is gay and the slotts itself is
so shallow into the rotor its rediculous :thumbsdow

Yeah, because it's so easy to see in that CGI pic, and your years of experience engineering rotors trumps that of ATE, right? What again is ridiculous?

edicius
06-05-2007, 01:25 AM
That design is actually more effective then the conventional slotting because it doesn't force the pad to the outside of the rotor, or to the inside for that fact. Slotting....and cross drilling allow for the gasses to escape from the pads under prolonged brake usage so you don't experience as much brake fade.

A different set of rotors won't increase or decrease braking performance.....what are 95% of all rotors made of.....um, ya cast iron sooooooooooo you may get some different metal contents but for the most part same shizzle in there. As said before these will just help for those long mountain descents that everyone on the street does so they don't get brake fade near the end.

*edit*

want to see a wierd design, heres some of the rotors that people use with wilwood setups, I have a friend running these on his volvo.
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/002-Rotors/001-SVGT/ROTOR-160-5123.jpg

z1_bam
06-05-2007, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by 10000DAYS
Would whatever it's scraping from the pad be stuck in the groove then? I mean, the only exit point for debris would be in a direction it never wants to go.

I dunno, I'm not the greatest guy with cars but that slot design doesn't make sense to me.

Not really, the pads only cover a small portion of the rotor, so as the wheel turns all the debris is carried out from under the pad and disperses on the unswept portion.

I acutally think one of the biggest advantages for a slotting pattern like that is reduced machining time and hence the cheaper cost without compromising the performance (just talking about the slotting)

stevo 27
06-05-2007, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by TurboCarrera

Yeah, because it's so easy to see in that CGI pic, and your years of experience engineering rotors trumps that of ATE, right? What again is ridiculous?
no i was at canadian tire i saw them looked
im not trying to ague with you man
i dont see why you are making personal attacks
mabey this will shut you up

in my personal opinion i thought they looked cheap and the
design does not look effective once again my personal opinion

happy dude :rolleyes:

rsxtypes
06-05-2007, 10:02 AM
want to see a wierd design, heres some of the rotors that people use with wilwood setups, I have a friend running these on his volvo.

yeah my buddy has those wilwood brakes on his civic and they are a weird ass design
he brought it to his mechanic uncle and he was all confused by them lol...
but his wilwoods seemed to work really good at first but he let his car sit for a couple of weeks and now it sounds like he needs new brakes entirely

lowryder99
06-05-2007, 11:00 AM
I love how all the engineers came out for this thread. "uHH.....that design isn't effective.... I can't tell you why because I have absolutely NO experience with automotive braking designs, but it's "IMO" so it's "cool"

Simply put, a reputable company makes them. I gurantee they are probably better than half the cheapo napa rotors or no name rotors that 80% of the population puts on their car.

As for the guy who put them on and had pulsating....yea because that's a solid benchmark...some guy put em on and they pulsated...that's never happened with any other new rotor ever. :rolleyes:

pump_man
06-06-2007, 10:41 PM
the ATE's are fine, I have them on my 540i and their performance is equal to or better than stock BMW at a fraction of the price. Too many of you judging a book by it's cover.