PDA

View Full Version : Got a couple questions about freeriding???

Gravy_83
06-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Thinking of getting maybe a Norco, Kona or Specialized freeriding bike. But here's the thing I weigh about 215...with my new job I am losing weight by the tune of close to 5 pounds a week but eventually that will taper off...I'm wondering what kind of weight those bikes can handle. I mean I used to have dirtbikes and loved just jumping shit and will be doing the same with a bike. But will I break it weighing in and around 200??? I mean for close to a grand they should be able to handle the weight right?? and also anyone on here freeride around town at all???

carter_prelude
06-03-2007, 01:48 PM
get a used DH/Freeride bike :thumbsup: they'll handle it im sure, bike parts are pretty cheap compared to car parts ;) :thumbsup:

...god i miss my DH bike :(

Gravy_83
06-03-2007, 01:53 PM
and where in Calgary would I get a used freeride bike?? I mean I wouldn't mind getting used I'm sure I can mod it a bit too from what i can see bikes are highly moddable right?

carter_prelude
06-03-2007, 02:05 PM
try pinkbike.com they have a TON of used bikes on there (all private sale) for around $1000 you should be able to find a nice freeride bike thats decent (2001+) be sure to get one with splined cranks, you'll need em haha. they alsmot ALL come with them so it shouldn't be a huge deal....
are you looking for a full suspension or a hardtail?

heres a few links:
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/225842/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/248397/

those aren't in calgary but shipping isn't that hard to do. it CAN be risky, but if you prefure to buy one locally you can narrow your search on there, its a Calgary based site so finding one shouldn't be too hard

:thumbsup: happy trails :D

Gravy_83
06-03-2007, 02:13 PM
looking for a hard tail. If I can manage for under 1000$ I will be extremely happy. I'm by no means a pro hehe just something I used to fuck around with a dirtbike and wouldn't mind getting a nice hardtail bike to go fuck around in. But wouldn't mind paying between 500$ and 1000$

carter_prelude
06-03-2007, 02:15 PM
$1000 will get you a pretty nice hardtail if you go used :thumbsup: good luck hope you find what your looking for...i wish i could afford one right now...i have the itch...

Gravy_83
06-03-2007, 04:15 PM
I can't afford one right at the moment which is good because I don't want it to be an impulse buy for something I'm going to be risking my neck in hehehe. What would be some nice spots to hit up in Calgary??

carter_prelude
06-03-2007, 05:51 PM
COP has some wicked trails. they've coem A LONG way in the last few years. Lots of begginers and theres the HUGE shit as well for those....crazy folk...i love riding there :drool:

Gravy_83
06-03-2007, 08:41 PM
awesome thanks for the info. with the new job i might not be able to get out much but i will a few nights a week if i get a bike for sure.

BrknFngrs
06-05-2007, 01:55 PM
if ya want a solid hardtail try to find a used kona Roast. Ive had mine for 2-3 years and its absolutely amazing, it takes the freeride abuse that killed a buddy of mines Norco and it never even phases it.

civic_stylez
06-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by carter_prelude
COP has some wicked trails. they've coem A LONG way in the last few years. Lots of begginers and theres the HUGE shit as well for those....crazy folk...i love riding there :drool:

me too , i practically live there... alot of people hack on COP but theyve put in so much time and effort there that its a great place to ride now..

as for your question about these bikes handling your weight of 200 lbs, as long as you dial in your suspension properly and ride on it properly ( cushioning jumps with your body as well as the bike) you will have no problem...but if you plan to get into the sport as more than casual riding here and there, id invest some decent money and get a good bike... a good bike now will save you a ton of money in the future in term of repairs.

Gravy_83
06-05-2007, 03:42 PM
well I figure try out a decent bike first and see how it handles it. And see how my ankle handles the abuse too. If my body or the bike can't handle it i won't be out too much $$. But where could I go look for used bikes in Calgary

civic_stylez
06-05-2007, 04:11 PM
as most of the others posted, pinkbike is a great place to start... COP has a large selection of bikes to rent so you can get started with something there for sure... just take your time starting out.. alot of people go too hard, fall and hurt themselves and quit the sport... just stay within your own boundaries and push your limits slowly once you get comfortable.. but its a great sport and an awesome community.

Gravy_83
06-06-2007, 10:25 AM
awesome thanks?? where abouts is pinkbike. looks like I might be getting my bike in about 2 weeks

civic_stylez
06-06-2007, 12:21 PM
its www.pinkbike.com... just like beyond but for bikes.. the site is based out of calgary so alot of the stuff for sale is local. lots of good deal and pictures and stuff for you to check out..

Gravy_83
06-06-2007, 02:37 PM
thanks checking it out and I will probably buy a bike on there for sure good prices in my price range seems like i'll be able to get a decent bike for 650 to 750. thanks for the headsup