PDA

View Full Version : question about buying a used car

indep
06-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Hey
i am buying a 1999 jetta gl with 160,000kms for 6,500 dollars... one of the spark plugs was messed up but now it has been changed, the check engline light is on and the guy told me it's because it was of the spark plug, if i drive it for a while and put best gas in it it will go away.
I just want to know from the experts what i should expect from that car... will it last me at least 2-3 years especially with the cold winters we got up here in Canada... i want to make sure it starts everyday... it's a standard and the clutch seems to be good... any problem jettas get after a while that i shold watch out for before i purchase it..

any help would be great because this dealer has 700 deposit from me and i have to pick up the car tmrw so i dont know...

thanks,

Weapon_R
06-03-2007, 09:54 PM
The check engine light is the result of something else. It should have gone away when they fixed the spark plug, but since its still there i'd get it checked by another shop.

Ichigo
06-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
The check engine light is the result of something else. It should have gone away when they fixed the spark plug, but since its still there i'd get it checked by another shop.

That's right, it could be something like an 02 sensor. If you are buying from the dealership make sure they put it in writting that they will take care of the problem that is CAUSING the engine light to go on. And also get all of the small bits and pieces taken care of before you take the car, otherwise it'll take a loong time for them to look at it when you bring it back.

If you want your car to last you for another 100,000km change the timing belt/waterpump on your car as well. Not only is that prevantative maintanence, but you'll have proof in the future help you sell your car.

urban.one
06-03-2007, 10:25 PM
And whats a messed up sparkplug? Was it a faulty plus or is this engine going to blow a piston in a week? A compression test may be worthwhile

Mangina
06-04-2007, 07:25 AM
If the spark plug was damaged thene there's something very wrong inside of the engine. I vote you keep looking. Sounds like the dealer is trying to talk you into something.

indep
06-04-2007, 07:12 PM
well no he showed me that someone had ripped the spark plug , it was at the auction and he told me people rip the spark plug wires out so that they can buy it cheaper

SoLowMa
06-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Hhahah auction cars lol I was a mechanic at a auction and i would never even bother looking at one, but thats me not you, if you want it buy it nuff said

hjr
06-04-2007, 09:22 PM
you need to pass on this vehicle. it may seem cheap and a good deal now, but wait a month or two and you will find out why it was so cheap.

ca18det240sx
06-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Compression check at the very minumum. Make sure oil is in good shape.

a bad plug can cause a check engine light because the engine will run rich, causing a running rich code from the oxygen sensor.

u can get the code cleared for free at autovalue. Tell him to do that and see if the code comes back

adidas
06-04-2007, 09:47 PM
usually with the volkswagens when there is a CEL you will have to get the car scanned for the CEL to disappear even tho everything is fixed.

Check for rust...since VW is known for that. But the deal doesnt sound too bad, if the 1.8/2L is properly maintained it will last for a long timie.