PDA

View Full Version : 35mm Shutter Speed & f. Stop ...

creeper
06-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Looking to shoot some 35mm pics at a BBQ on the weekend, so (assuming) a bright sunny day ...

Film is 400 ISO, what shutter speed & f. stop should I use, I was thinking 5.6, but I still don't know what to use for the shutter speed, I want rich color, and there won't be alot of motion in the shots, so I can probably afford to have it open slightly longer.

What settings would you suggest for these conditions for rich, but natural looking photos>?

Thanks!

benyl
06-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by creeper
Looking to shoot some 35mm pics at a BBQ on the weekend, so (assuming) a bright sunny day ...

Film is 400 ISO, what shutter speed & f. stop should I use, I was thinking 5.6, but I still don't know what to use for the shutter speed, I want rich color, and there won't be alot of motion in the shots, so I can probably afford to have it open slightly longer.

What settings would you suggest for these conditions for rich, but natural looking photos>?

Thanks!

Your question doesn't make sense. Rich color and contrast are usually a factor of lens choice and film choice.

F stop normally controls the depth of field. The lower the number the narrower the depth of field is. Shutter speed is directly related to the F stop and the ISO of the film to get a properly exposed shot.

There is no way we can tell you what shutter speed to be shooting until the lighting conditions are metered.

If you are outside, I would suggest going with a slower film... but then again, I don't shoot film, so I dunno. ISO400 will likely have you stopping down to F8 or higher giving greater depth of field (less bokeh) and thus snap shot type photos.

seer_claw
06-05-2007, 07:03 PM
What camera are you shooting with? That will likely help in getting you better instructions for shutter speed and aperture. Plus the camera that you are using my not let you choose manual settings and you will only be able to shoot in an auto mode. We really need more information about what you are going to be using.

But sunny f/16 is the usual rule.

AccentAE86
06-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Just use what your in-camera meter tells you to use. If it IS a sunny day with no clouds and you are not shooting in open shade, then at 5.6 ISO400 your meter will likely read around 1/4000.