PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone selling their Skylines?

old&slow
06-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Seems like a few selling lately...what's u?

PINOY-X
06-06-2007, 02:38 PM
hard to get parts? :dunno:

DNSDJS
06-06-2007, 02:38 PM
they findin out that every other single joe blow KID is getting one
spending their parents $$$

so the smart ones are selling..

prob have other cars in mind to get...

:dunno:

Fcuk
06-06-2007, 02:39 PM
cause there all saving to afford the JDM supras :thumbsdow

Rx7
06-06-2007, 02:50 PM
and trying to make a buck off them

dj_rice
06-06-2007, 02:52 PM
This is why

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/178859/skyline-destruction/

PINOY-X
06-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Fcuk

yea id have to agree with this one

JAYMEZ
06-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Lots cant afford the car when it breaks down... Also tons of people are trying to make a quick buck...

Haha JDM supras... Woot Automatics galore... A good one will be hard to find ... And i cant wait till people cant afford them.. alot more exspensive than a skyline. :clap:

Anyways , when is that 15yr rule moving to 25?

scboss
06-06-2007, 02:57 PM
i thought about selling mine but i can get parts pretty easy now, i think ppl are buying them thinking they can flip them but really they are getting pieces of crap from junk yards. Haha by next year parts will be like every other car i went to nissan to get some parts and they had everything in stock i needed.

Boost Infested
06-06-2007, 03:06 PM
This might be why... (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178859&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=1) :angel:

1-Bar
06-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
This is why

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/178859/skyline-destruction/

Originally posted by Boost Infested
This might be why... (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178859&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=1) :angel:

saammme.....lol

T78Supra1
06-06-2007, 03:38 PM
The truth is

So many Young People buy these cars thinking they are crazy fast......

Same thing will happen to all the people planning to import Supra's

News flash Stock Twin turbo Supra's will have the ass handed to them buy stock Neon Srt-4's

The truth is the RB and the 2jz are awesome engines but stock your maybe 300hp crank horse power in a heavy as shit car.
so maybe 225 at the wheels if that. Now a days thats really NOT THAT FAST.

People do not realize that it takes serious coin to get these cars in the 500 plus hp range.

I garanty that when the new supra's start coming they will be 90% automatic and when people realize that a 6sp conversion is 10,000 dollars. You will see allot of these cars up forsa

katana9x4
06-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by T78Supra1
The truth is

So many Young People buy these cars thinking they are crazy fast......

Same thing will happen to all the people planning to import Supra's

News flash Stock Twin turbo Supra's will have the ass handed to them buy stock Neon Srt-4's

The truth is the RB and the 2jz are awesome engines but stock your maybe 300hp crank horse power in a heavy as shit car.
so maybe 225 at the wheels if that. Now a days thats really NOT THAT FAST.

People do not realize that it takes serious coin to get these cars in the 500 plus hp range.

I garanty that when the new supra's start coming they will be 90% automatic and when people realize that a 6sp conversion is 10,000 dollars. You will see allot of these cars up forsa

10 000 for a conversion?? That seems kind of high lol

Ogpogo
06-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Im just gonna sit here with my barrel of buttered popcorn, and wait for the "skylines are fucking garbage vs. skylines are the best cars in the universe" fight to unfold. Continue.

carter_prelude
06-06-2007, 06:11 PM
^ :thumbsup: lol exactly...to each their own. IF they wanna buy a 15 year old car for $20 000...let them. They are nice cars but i personally can't justify $20 000 on a car this IS going to break down and need parts from Japan. To some ppl these are their dream cars, why shouldn't they be able to buy them?

Team_Mclaren
06-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by katana9x4

nope, thats the going price for a 6sp swap

thinmyster
06-06-2007, 06:16 PM

you pay to play

Ogpogo
06-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by carter_prelude
To some ppl these are their dream cars, why shouldn't they be able to buy them?

Best quote on this topic as of yet, I completely agree. No matter how shitty or overpriced others (including myself :devil: ) thinks these cars are, the people driving them may be happy as hell, and who's to say they shouldn't. I had a jeep a few years ago that turned into a money pit, and to be quite honest, it basically was a big heap of shit - a heap of shit I miss and loved more than any other vehicle I've owned since. To each his own - reliability and market worth is one thing, but passion and fulfillment is much more important in my eyes, especially for car enthusiasts.

katana9x4
06-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

nope, thats the going price for a 6sp swap

lol what can a 6spd tranny from a mk 4 cost at most like $2000?

what are they gonna do charge you like 8 gs for labour.

you can get a 6spd 2jz for 5-6gs.

http://www.japanracingengines.com/engineview.asp?id=51

three.eighteen.
06-06-2007, 06:57 PM
dumb high school kids with enough of their parents money to buy these cars, but not enough to maintain them or fix them when they crash them

Importz
06-06-2007, 07:03 PM
thoese old skyline ppl drive around here are ugly anyways lol...

katana9x4
06-06-2007, 07:08 PM
I think the reason you see a lot of "skylines" for sale is because all the newbs bought gts-t's not knowing the difference and realized they are slow as shit. I don't see a lot of GTR's for sale.

T78Supra1
06-06-2007, 09:38 PM

The Cheapest Getrag 6spd on the market i have found is 3G's Then do a search on beyond Jaymez prices it out completly.

ALSO if you still have doubts here is an American sight using all used parts

http://www.suprastore.com/iwantoconfro.html

Looks you will be one of the guys buying a JDM supra and selling it not knowing what these things can really do to your wallet

Spoons
06-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Lots cant afford the car when it breaks down... Also tons of people are trying to make a quick buck...

Haha JDM supras... Woot Automatics galore... A good one will be hard to find ... And i cant wait till people cant afford them.. alot more exspensive than a skyline. :clap:

Anyways , when is that 15yr rule moving to 25?

15 to 25 is still up in the air, Transport canada is still discussing it.

Team_Mclaren
06-06-2007, 11:55 PM

yes because all you need is a tranny to make it 6speed:rolleyes:

msommers
06-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Why they are selling is/are either one of the or combined reasons:

1) Some owners believed the myth that because a car has 60,000kms on it,it's going to be mint. And for $5000 it's a smokin' deal. Only to find out it's a piece of crap some sleezy guy bought at the auction.

2) Some people buy crap cars, know they get crap cars, make sure the paint is nice and sell it for twice as much.

3) Obtaining parts is harder than some anticipated. Moreover, they are too lazy to find compatible parts or even look. Parts are not hard to find if you actually look, but tend to be more expensive.

4) The twin turbo GTR isn't getting the gas mileage their honda civic got.

5) The car won't pass inspection because it's a piece of crap and will cost way too much money to fix.

6) People get sick of having the same car for more than 6 months and want another sports car, ie: spoiled rich kid.

7) Some owners realize they can't afford both a summer and winter vehicle.

LilaInc
06-06-2007, 11:56 PM
They were brought here for DRIFITNG at red light turns YOOO!!!:burnout:

quikkoop
06-07-2007, 12:12 AM
I think the reason you see a lot of "skylines" for sale is because all the newbs bought gts-t's not knowing the difference and realized they are slow as shit. I don't see a lot of GTR's for sale.
You also seem to be forgetting that the entire tranny tunnel needs to be widened and modified to fit that transmission.

From what Ive heard the 25 year rule is going to be in effect before JZA80's are legal, so I dont think you'll be needing to worry about those. But I do agree with the comments of high school kids spending their parents money for them and not being able to fix them when they break. On the other hand though, I give respect to those who can actually afford them on their own pay checks, and afford to be able to fix them.

stevo 27
06-07-2007, 01:12 AM
thats it i know 3 people with gtr s
and a forth with a gts all high school kids
and they bought them (with their own dough)
then they realized that you buy a 15-16 yearold car
and drive the shit out of it for 5 months and it starts
to break down 3 of 4 have sold their cars
one (spencer) the GTR is in line for a big single
hes like me the car gets everysingle penny goes into the car
but yea the sensus is most people
bought them as fan boys and couldnt afford them
now there going up forsale

JAYMEZ
06-07-2007, 04:12 AM

Ehhh your argueing with the wrong people... we both have done it... Its 10k AMERICAN....

. o 69 o .
06-07-2007, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by carter_prelude
^ :thumbsup: lol exactly...to each their own. IF they wanna buy a 15 year old car for $20 000...let them. They are nice cars but i personally can't justify $20 000 on a car this IS going to break down and need parts from Japan. To some ppl these are their dream cars, why shouldn't they be able to buy them?

Wow, finally someone else who realizes what is going on...

Skyline is a cool car, but they are buying them for like $1500 over in japan and marking them up like $12,000 .... so someone is making astronomical profits off a trend. Wish I had been in on this one.

me&you
06-07-2007, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by . o 69 o .

Wow, finally someone else who realizes what is going on...

Skyline is a cool car, but they are buying them for like $1500 over in japan and marking them up like $12,000 .... so someone is making astronomical profits off a trend. Wish I had been in on this one.

Get in now... It's not like the supply of idiots is drying up!

legendboy
06-07-2007, 08:17 AM
I think that alot of the skylines people buy are complete peices of shit, also they realize at some point someone has rolled back the odo 100 000kms which is why their seats are worn out and their steering wheels worn down to the plastic core :rofl:

Teggy
06-07-2007, 08:47 AM
ya its true, people are either sick of replacing expensive parts, or just trying to make a quick buck. I purchased my skyline through importconcern, for about 6,500 two years ago, i sourced through their auction. Prior to owning my skyline, i had an Orange acura integra. Now, i spent a fair chunk of change swapping in a b16, getting rims, new paint, suspension, seats etc. and even with alot junk in the trunk, the integra, and skyline were two different classes of cars. I would have needed to spend double on my integra to get the performance that the skyline was making. All in all, my skyline is near completion, its not my dream car, and far from it, but best bang for my buck, and allows me to drag, autoX, and drift...

P.s. my car two years ago

http://www.importconcern.ca/stock/100144/04.jpg

and my car a week ago at DTP

http://photos-091.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v73/91/22/693490730/n693490730_181091_9487.jpg

4doorj
06-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Fcuk

i cant wait for the jdm supras personally.... i love supras!

katana9x4
06-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by T78Supra1

The Cheapest Getrag 6spd on the market i have found is 3G's Then do a search on beyond Jaymez prices it out completly.

ALSO if you still have doubts here is an American sight using all used parts

http://www.suprastore.com/iwantoconfro.html

Looks you will be one of the guys buying a JDM supra and selling it not knowing what these things can really do to your wallet

Whatever guy, it just seemed high to me...

I guess you guys would know though, as I really don't know that much about supras.

Talk about not worth though money anyways.

And no I won't be buying a supra, a JDM one especially, I'd rather buy a LHD model when the influx of RHD supras drives their prices down lol...

plus I don't really like the whole beached whale look mk4's have going on.

Annoyingrob
06-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Talk about not worth though money anyways.
I don't know, 10 grand for a complete drivetrain capable of handling over 1000hp doesn't sound too bad. Then again, if you have the money to buy a JZA80 in the first place, you have the money to upgrade it too.

And no I won't be buying a supra, a JDM one especially, I'd rather buy a LHD model when the influx of RHD supras drives their prices down lol...

Because that worked so well with LHD 300ZXs and LHD RX7s too.... Honestly, the prices of north american supras will not be coming down with all the japanese ones coming over.

I'll still be looking to pick up a MKIV if they come over :)

As for the Skylines, I've noticed this too. It's a 15+ year old used car. It has problems, and most people don't seem to get this. It doesn't matter if you paid 6k, or 20k for it. It's going to need some maintenence. Cars are expensive, expecially foreign ones that have been bagged to shit :). I think most people get them, realize they're a money pit, and then try to cut their losses. Personally, I wouldn't buy a skyline, you're paying a premium for a name on a car that shouldn't be worth that much.

katana9x4
06-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob

I don't know, 10 grand for a complete drivetrain capable of handling over 1000hp doesn't sound too bad. Then again, if you have the money to buy a JZA80 in the first place, you have the money to upgrade it too.

Because that worked so well with LHD 300ZXs and LHD RX7s too.... Honestly, the prices of north american supras will not be coming down with all the japanese ones coming over.

I'll still be looking to pick up a MKIV if they come over :)

As for the Skylines, I've noticed this too. It's a 15+ year old used car. It has problems, and most people don't seem to get this. It doesn't matter if you paid 6k, or 20k for it. It's going to need some maintenence. Cars are expensive, expecially foreign ones that have been bagged to shit :). I think most people get them, realize they're a money pit, and then try to cut their losses. Personally, I wouldn't buy a skyline, you're paying a premium for a name on a car that shouldn't be worth that much.

Good points.

however if you are thinking of picking up a JDM mk4, why would you shun the idea of picking up an r32 or r33?

I understand you are a toyota guy, but there is just as much premium on the supra name(if not more) as there is skyline.

403Gemini
06-07-2007, 03:32 PM

Good points.

however if you are thinking of picking up a JDM mk4, why would you shun the idea of picking up an r32 or r33?

I understand you are a toyota guy, but there is just as much premium on the supra name(if not more) as there is skyline.

Getting parts for the supra is much easier than the skyline

sexualbanana
06-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob

Yeah, but if you can afford to make the conversion and make your car over 1000hp you might as well buy something you'd be able to drive everyday and not drive yourself insane.

Sorath
06-07-2007, 08:29 PM
skylines are gay anyways

Sharpie
06-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Do you even know what you are talking about? Seriously go spit shit else where....

Hoey
06-07-2007, 08:42 PM

GTR's are slow as shit stock(or close to)....ever been to race city?

15's ring a bell?:barf:

banned3x
06-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
skylines are gay anyways

you wish you had one!!!

Ogpogo
06-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Hoey

How does a close to 300hp gtr only run 15's? Im not saying you're wrong, infact I've heard the same thing from tons of people here, but I simply dont understand it. Should it be in the 14's? 13's even?

Sharpie
06-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Ogpogo

How does a close to 300hp gtr only run 15's? Im not saying you're wrong, infact I've heard the same thing from tons of people here, but I simply dont understand it. Should it be in the 14's? 13's even?
You would be suprised how 'slow' they are... Go to race city and you will see....

A790
06-07-2007, 09:28 PM
GTR's have a lot of potential, and by no means are they slow stock. However, they are not as fast as everything thinks they are.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-07-2007, 09:59 PM

They may have 300HP, but they are heavy, heavy cars. That AWD drivetrain isn't light and sucks/wastes a lot of power.

Ogpogo
06-07-2007, 10:01 PM
That surprises me quite a bit! Hell, all this time I've been on other forums, and people are claiming runs in the 12's in stock gtrs with street tires. Guess some people let hopes and dreams get the best of em.

FiveFreshFish
06-07-2007, 10:08 PM
I think some owners can't get used to RHD.

CryoCarnage
06-07-2007, 10:15 PM
well at least the jdm supras won't cost as much as their north american counterparts...
But besides the point, you can make the mark 3 r154 fit the 2jz.

Annoyingrob
06-08-2007, 12:19 AM

Well, it's personal preference, and you're right, they will be sold at a premium just because of your name, and there is no reason why I should be so against buying a skyline, yet so for buying a supra. I just like supras.

95EagleAWD
06-08-2007, 12:22 AM

3500 pounds has a lot to do with it.

Sorath
06-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by banned3x

you wish you had one!!!

riiiighhhht cause i dont have one thats making 400whp

Spoons
06-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by quikkoop

You also seem to be forgetting that the entire tranny tunnel needs to be widened and modified to fit that transmission.

From what Ive heard the 25 year rule is going to be in effect before JZA80's are legal, so I dont think you'll be needing to worry about those. But I do agree with the comments of high school kids spending their parents money for them and not being able to fix them when they break. On the other hand though, I give respect to those who can actually afford them on their own pay checks, and afford to be able to fix them.

The 25 year rule has no set date yet! People keep throwing around all these rumors yet it hasn't even been brought to legislature to be voted on. How can something have a date if it hasn't even been voted on. Almost every rumor I betcha is rumored up by importers, which is exactly how they make their money now. Scare you into importing a car before the 25 year rule.

katana9x4
06-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

The 25 year rule has no set date yet! People keep throwing around all these rumors yet it hasn't even been brought to legislature to be voted on. How can something have a date if it hasn't even been voted on. Almost every rumor I betcha is rumored up by importers, which is exactly how they make their money now. Scare you into importing a car before the 25 year rule.

The gov't has actually stated that they want to change it, but you are right, there isn't a set date yet I don't believe.

Spoons
06-08-2007, 04:26 PM
They have stated they want to change it, but they haven't even decided nor voted on it. Stating that they want to change it and stating that they ARE changing it is two different things.

Personally I believe they won't. It will be just contradicting themselves with their own BS. Originally they set it to 15 because of safety? How is a 25 year old car safer?!

old&slow
06-08-2007, 04:35 PM
And the government never ever contradicts themselves!:bigpimp: :bigpimp: :bigpimp:

Hoey
06-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

riiiighhhht cause i dont have one thats making 400whp

:zzz:

JK Kasem:love:

old&slow
06-08-2007, 04:41 PM
You pissed off Sorass!

katana9x4
06-08-2007, 05:07 PM
They have stated they want to change it, but they haven't even decided nor voted on it. Stating that they want to change it and stating that they ARE changing it is two different things.

Personally I believe they won't. It will be just contradicting themselves with their own BS. Originally they set it to 15 because of safety? How is a 25 year old car safer?!

Agreed...

Apparently they think that changing it to 25 years will reduce the number of cars coming in, and therefore there will be less "unsafe" cars on the road.

I dunno though, some of those older jap cars are kinda cool looking haha

http://users.chariot.net.au/~stmezz/celica1.jpg

stevo 27
06-09-2007, 01:55 AM
supra's rock

toyota is god :D

mkIV:poosie: :drool:

calgarys_finest
06-11-2007, 03:46 PM

and even if they do implement that rule then there will probally be a 1 year importing peroid where people can bring in all the cars that they own in japan. so it wont happen for a while.

GGTTSS-44
06-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Many of you have had some very valid points. There are Many reasons why people are selling there skylines, when it trully comes down to it, the only answers you'll find are actually asking these kids why there doing it.

I'll throw out some pointers being a skyline enthusiest however.

1. They import these vehicles, thinking they'll be a hot car * great condition * They have 8000.00 for a vehicle, so they import an 8 grand skyline * bad move.. * They realize the car needs allot of work, and try to sell them to make a buck.

2. They get bored of driving RHD, It's fun at first, it gets anoying after alittle while, and it's just not as safe as a left hand drive car.

3. these are there Daily drivers, unless they import a * more rare * GTS-4, they have a heck of a time driving it in the winter, decide its not worth it, sell it for an FF vehicle.

4. These vehicles are old! As fun as they are to drive, many people as they get older want a bran new reliable vehicle, RSX, prelude, integra etc.

5. Parts can be tricky to get, some shops are difficulty working on various things in the vehicle, I've been waiting 5 weeks for some tie rods, a valve cover gasket and a front axle... Pretty self explanetory.

6. This is a big one, Allot of people import these vehicles not expecting allot of work needed to be done, they get Just wants needed for the OPP and then they drive it for a year, realize wow things are breaking down... so they turn around and try to sell the vehicle, due to the fact they didn't do it right from the start.

I picked up my skyline for 8500. All in I've spent 11500 and * aside from cosmetics * I have a STRONG skyline, before I bought it, the cluthc, alternator, battery timing belt was replaced * thats about 2 grand right there.

I've spent 1500 on rims and new tires * whole sale deal :D and 1500 for a new * used * front axle, valve cover gasket, steeringwheel alignment upper tie rods, lower tie rods, new lights. Plus more for oil change, and a GTR seat :poosie:

Also they arnt the cheapest on gas, Premium is needed, you must change the oil every 3 - 4xxx Kilometers, and you should put nothing less then 5 W 50 full casterol synthetic if you want the vehicle th run right.

Bottom line is, people import these as there daily drivers, realize it will cost more then they budgeted to get them back on the road, realized they will cost more then they thought to maintain, realize they dont drive good in the winter, and cost allot of gas, so unless its your second car most people can't handle it.

I spent money fixing up a GTS-T, * AWD * winter hustlin machine!
and I fixed her all up before I even started driving her on the road, I got a good specimin.

Thers nothing wrong with these vehicles, there Very fun to drive and Exeptionally fast, for what you need on the streets.
They are an eye turner.

IF any of you are looking to buy a skyline don't bother importing one.
There are lots for sale, take alook at one in person being sold in calgary, take it to a mechanic and see what work needs to be done, and how strong everything else is holding up, thats how you should make your purchase.

Good luck!

GGTTSS-44
06-11-2007, 08:00 PM
As far as supra's go. They'll be the same problem.

In order to get a supra Twin turbo, you'll need to spend 18 - 20 grand all in to have something reliable enough to drive for a few years. You can't just buy a 13000 one and walk away...

Plus the 6 speed TT supra's only came in a coupe, so anybody wanting a targa top will have to settle for an automatic or buy an N/A 6 speed targa.

N/A supra's will come with a Targa 6 speed or a coupe Automatic or both. N/A's will be available for aproximately 10 grand * 4 - 4.5 grand.

However a 4 + grade TT will be well over 20 thousand after import and opp.

I would not get one due to the fact you dont drive them in the winter unless your crazy. I just have one car:)

We may not even be able to import these bad boys. If the laws change to 25 years I'll either import an old school skyline * japanese version of american muscle hehe.

Or better yet, I'll source out a JDM RX7, or JDM integra type R already imported and legalized in the states, and then bring it into canada * there are ways, then I'll have a rare vehicle all over again;)

Annoyingrob
06-12-2007, 02:34 AM
Actually, NA supras are 5 speed, not 6 speed :)

and I'm pretty sure that you can get TT 6 speed targas. From what I remember, the TT 6 speed hardtops are teh rare ones.

I completely agree with everything else you said about supras and skylines though.

GGTTSS-44
06-12-2007, 09:53 PM
I should have made myself more specific.
First off I realize N/A are 5 speed, its what I meant to say :D

Secondly, TT Supra's only came with a 6 speed manual in a coupe model until 1995. 1995 and up had the option of a Targa roof + 6 speed manual.

1993 and 1994 only offered an automatic in the targa roof.

Besides, the targa roof ads some odd 200 pounds to the vehicle, and it is also not as rigid, you'll want to get a coupe for top performance / speed.

Pacman
06-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

3500 pounds has a lot to do with it.

Don't forget about the extra 200 pounds of jizz on the hood from all the fanboys blowing their loads each time they see one parked.

T78Supra1
06-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Also the JDM Supra's are alittle slower then the US Version.

1. JDM have Ceramic Turbo's (Which personally would be scary if the broke and go flying into your Engine)

2. Smaller Injectors

SNAATCH
06-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Hoey

My Gtr with intakes and cat back ran 13.45@100mph :dunno: