PDA

View Full Version : Off Duty Cop Shoots Daughter

Schwa
06-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Off-Duty Cop Accidentally Shoots Daughter
(AP) An off-duty police officer in Connecticut shot and critically wounded his 18-year-old daughter, apparently mistaking her for an intruder after she sneaked out of their home and re-entered through the basement.

Eric Scott, 41, a member of the New Haven police force for nine years, has not been charged in the Tuesday shooting.

"Mr. Scott was under the impression his daughter had gone to bed for the night," Stratford Capt. Thomas Rodia said. "He did not expect his daughter to be outside or down in the basement."

Investigators said Tasha Scott left her home late Monday to meet a boyfriend. She triggered a backyard motion sensor light as she tried to enter through a basement door.

Awakened by the light, Eric Scott spotted someone moving in the basement bathroom, police said. He fired his department-issued pistol once, hitting the teen in the knee. The bullet traveled up her leg and lodged in her thigh area, police said.

The teenager underwent surgery and was listed in critical but stable condition Wednesday morning.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/30/national/main2867791.shtml

Godfuader
06-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Why wouldn't he at least yell something before shooting? :dunno:

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

i know this MAY seem unrealistic for an intruder to have a some sort of harmful weapon, but what if the intruder really had a gun or something, dood shouts out "HEY!" the thief MAY just have enough balls to pull a trigger or do something.

although realistically, the thief/ intruder would probably just book it out of the house.

"better safe than sorry" right?

SCHIDER23
06-07-2007, 12:21 AM
lol " next time you sneak out I'll shoot you twice you dumb Bitch " now she knows he will actually do it

Lucky chick for sure.:rolleyes:

LuxCars
06-07-2007, 12:25 AM
he should of politely asked who it was before shooting. Isn't that what everyone does :dunno:

e36bmw///
06-07-2007, 12:27 AM
nm

95EagleAWD
06-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
if it was an intruder and what if he killed him, would he go to jail?

Doubt it.

three.eighteen.
06-07-2007, 12:36 AM
only in america :rolleyes:

95EagleAWD
06-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
only in america :rolleyes:

Hardly.

The reason it doesn't happen up here is because handguns are restricted, and most people follow the law and lock 'em up, whereas in the US, they can put them anywhere.

civic_stylez
06-07-2007, 07:15 AM
that would suck living the rest of your life knowing you shot your own kid..

ken-gsr
06-07-2007, 08:08 AM
shitty situation.

DepTrotter
06-07-2007, 08:11 AM
at least he only shot her in the knee - he could have been a physco and shot her in the head

then he'de feel like a dumb fuck - but!... - i wouldnt hold him responsible - hes a cop hes got the mentality of one - and hes in the states so hes trigger-happy, she'll think twice about sneaking out of the house or since shes 18 - MOVE OUT

sexualbanana
06-07-2007, 08:17 AM
She's got ammo (figuratively speaking) now to guilt trip him for the rest of his life.

"Hey Dad, can I have a car?"
"No"
"Remember that time you shot me in the leg"
"........."

:rofl:

E46..sTyLez
06-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
She's got ammo (figuratively speaking) now to guilt trip him for the rest of his life.

"Hey Dad, can I have a car?"
"No"
"Remember that time you shot me in the leg"
"........."

LOL :rofl: nice gav, good call haha

Foozle
06-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Do you think the dad will keep guns out of the house from now on?

Probably not. Its their right....right:confused:

Tik-Tok
06-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Hardly.

The reason it doesn't happen up here is because handguns are restricted, and most people follow the law and lock 'em up, whereas in the US, they can put them anywhere.

Exactly. My boss has a handgun. One night, same situation (only his daughter was away at college). He got out his handgun, went downstairs and almost shot her, she had come home for the weekend, but didn't tell them she was coming, and arrived late at night.

TKRIS
06-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Foozle
Do you think the dad will keep guns out of the house from now on?

Probably not. Its their right....right:confused:

Yeah, bekause it's the guns fault.

Oh shit, I spelt "because" wrong. Guess it's time to get rid of this keyboard before it makes any more spelling mistakes...

BigMass
06-07-2007, 09:05 AM
maybe his daughter should have been in bed instead of skulking around the backyard in the middle of the night. Guess she won't be sneaking out the house now for some time after getting kneecapped

As for the cop, he’s an idiot for shooting at a target he has not identified first. As a cop I’d think he’d have more training than that. That’s why you have a tac-light attached to your house defense weapon, or a night vision sight.

I hope he gets fired as a police officer because I don’t want a cop on the streets that shoots at anything that moves without first knowing what he’s shooting at.

PS. People on this thread blaming guns for this guys idiocy are funny. Guns come with responsibility. If you don't act responsibly that's YOUR fault not the guns

TKRIS
06-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by BigMass

As for the cop, he’s an idiot for shooting at a target he has not identified first. As a cop I’d think he’d have more training than that.

I bet you'd be shocked, appalled and disgusted if you knew how piss poor a lot of cops are with their guns (especially in Canada).
Talk to a guy who's taught civilian firearms training, or worked in a gun shop, about cops and their guns.

The average sport shooter is infinitly more competent with a firearm than a lot of cops that carry them on a daily basis.

*I'm not cop bashing. I'm quite certain that a lot of cops are very good with their firearms, but there are a lot who are not. Those are the cops who leave their guns in the cars overnight and have them stolen, leave their guns on the back of the toilet in restaurants, etc...

jdmXSI
06-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

Because thier in the US. Than can shoot someone for ringing thier door bell. lol

Foozle
06-07-2007, 10:54 AM
I never said it was the guns fault in my earlier post, and it is true that the responsibility of a gun is soley dependant on the owner.

all i am saying is that if you remove a gun from a home it eliminates all possibilities of shooting someone in your home.

going to jail for murdering someone in your house, whether it be an intruder or daughter, would suck giant balls.

TKRIS
06-07-2007, 11:20 AM
I never said it was the guns fault in my earlier post, and it is true that the responsibility of a gun is soley dependant on the owner.

all i am saying is that if you remove a gun from a home it eliminates all possibilities of shooting someone in your home.

going to jail for murdering someone in your house, whether it be an intruder or daughter, would suck giant balls.

Removing the gun from the home also eliminates all possibility of being able to defend yourself against an armed intruder.

Getting killed by some cracked out tweeker or rapist would suck infinitly more than going to jail.

It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.

barbarian
06-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Anyone who's into "home defense" with firearms should have a system to trigger all lights on at once. 1) A real intruder will probably GTFO when this happens and you don't have to shoot anyone, and 2) you are less likely to shoot your kids.

Foozle
06-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Ditch the gun. Get a dog.

old&slow
06-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Ditch the gun. Get a dog.

A nice hunk of Rottweiller!

JRSC00LUDE
06-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
I hope he gets fired as a police officer because I don’t want a cop on the streets that shoots at anything that moves without first knowing what he’s shooting at.

He wasn't at work, he was sleeping in the safety of his own home, there's a huge difference.

We should have the right to defend our homes with any/all means necessary. Why would you warn an intruder in your home before you open fire, especially in you are a cop in the U.S.? For all he knew, someone he pinched was coming into his home to kill him or his family. You want to give them the opportunity to shoot you first on the off chance that it's one of your friends coming in through your basement window in the middle of the night to say hello? Fucking stupid. Once someone breaks into your home they forfeit their rights, including the right to keep breathing imo.

She shouldn't have been sneaking around and she wouldn't have got shot.

shakalaka
06-07-2007, 11:48 AM
wow the guy must feel like crap, knowing he shot his own daughter.

TKRIS
06-07-2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.frazmtn.com/~bwallis/anti_gun.gif

sexualbanana
06-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

He wasn't at work, he was sleeping in the safety of his own home, there's a huge difference.

We should have the right to defend our homes with any/all means necessary. Why would you warn an intruder in your home before you open fire, especially in you are a cop in the U.S.? For all he knew, someone he pinched was coming into his home to kill him or his family. You want to give them the opportunity to shoot you first on the off chance that it's one of your friends coming in through your basement window in the middle of the night to say hello? Fucking stupid. Once someone breaks into your home they forfeit their rights, including the right to keep breathing imo.

Because your ability to react is going to be much quicker than theirs. The reason why cops have their guns or batons drawn beforehand. For example, if your weapon was drawn and you entered a room with an "intruder" who doesn't expect you to be there, you've got a significant advantage over someone.

In this case, he didn't even give a verbal warning/confirmation before firing which is pretty negligent for a police officer.

GQBalla
06-07-2007, 02:01 PM
lol owned.

thatll teach her from sneaking out any more

BigMass
06-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

It's not about warning the intruder, it's about IDENTIFYING YOUR TARGET. A sniper doesn't yell out at his target before shooting, but he know who or what he is shooting at. There are many ways of identifying your target. A tac light is pretty standard. Flash it in his eyes and make sure it's an intruder before you shoot. It may only take 1 second but it's better than shooting a kid that lost his ball in your backyard the day before.

http://prosecman.com.au/images/172.gif
http://www.gunnersecurity.com/Images/F-LedWave-GunLight.jpg
http://www.policeone.com/policeone/data/1/images/gladius-4.jpg

colsankey
06-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Theres alot of negatives to having a tac-light too. However you should ALWAYS know your target and be certain of what your shooting and whats behind your tatrget before putting the finger on the trigger.

Xtrema
06-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
if it was an intruder and what if he killed him, would he go to jail?

In Canada, yes.

In U.S., no.

Being a cop or not is beside the point.

lexIS300
06-08-2007, 01:35 AM
wow thats pretty stupid. so if a dude with a gun broke into your house and you shot him first you would go to jail? pretty retarded law

shakalaka
06-08-2007, 02:18 AM
^Yeap unless you can show that the act on your part was done for self defence, i.e the intruder must have tried to kill you and in protecting yourself, you ended up killing them.

three.eighteen.
06-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Hardly.

yeah so you proved my point...i said "only in america" meaning exactly that, only the lax (and irresponsible) attitudes towards firearms in the US would permit an incident like this to happen...or should i have written "this wouldn't have happened in canada"?

Benny
06-08-2007, 02:40 AM
Damn kids. Sneaking out and such... :guns:

accordboi_02
06-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Well he just solved the issue of how to look like "Crazy Dad" when he meets her boyfriend(s)

"I've already shot my own daughter in the leg for sneaking out - I will aim higher on you if she is not home by 10, or if she ends up pregnant" :eek:

sexualbanana
06-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02
Well he just solved the issue of how to look like "Crazy Dad" when he meets her boyfriend(s)

"I've already shot my own daughter in the leg for sneaking out - I will aim higher on you if she is not home by 10, or if she ends up pregnant" :eek:

Haha. He'll invite the poor bastard in:

Dad: Before you take my daughter out, you may want to read this."
<Hands him a newspaper article>
Buddy: "...."
Dad: "Have her home by 10."

Hakkola
06-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by colsankey
Theres alot of negatives to having a tac-light too.

What are the negatives? The tac-light I used had a button that had to be held down for it to be on, you could flash it at will for a fraction of a second if you wanted. Maybe the tac-lights used over here suck ass, but I can't see why they wouldn't sell tac-lights like that in North-America, or why a police officer wouldn't have one. I never noticed anything negative about the tac-light I used. Though to be fair it was attached to an assault rifle, not a side-arm.

FiveFreshFish
06-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Schwa
He fired his department-issued pistol once, hitting the teen in the knee.

Aren't cops trained to aim for the body?

RaptorGJC
06-08-2007, 08:57 PM
it was dark, and luckily, he sucks at aiming.

this isn't the first time this sort of thing happens

95EagleAWD
06-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

My thoughts as well.

She should be dead. Those bullets, per training, should have gone into her chest.

BigMass
06-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Do you know why cops are taught to shoot for center mass? Precisely because they are not professional target shooters and center mass has the least likelihood for error and the bullet going astray. The bullet might hit the body, but it might hit the leg, the arm, the head. If you aim for the head or leg or arm, there is a good chance you'll miss and the bullet may become a threat to some by standard

When a Police officer draws his weapon and shoots it is meant to kill. Not to hit someone in the shoulder or the leg to disable them. I know of 12 year old kids that are better shooters than many Police officers. Some are great shooters, but they are not trained as such and are so because of their own time and dedication at a shooting range. If any of you have actually fired a real gun before, you know how difficult it is to hit anything. Especially in the dark and under pressure.