PDA

View Full Version : Auto GPS Tracker - for Teenagers?

codetrap
06-07-2007, 08:00 AM
The link.. http://www.teen-tracking.com/

So, what do you all think about this? Being well past the teenage years, I'm kind of on the fence. I can see how some teens would be offended by it, but I can also see that parents would love to have this kind of information. Is it going too far into the in control, or is it a tool in order for the teens to gain trust way faster than they would be able to otherwise.

Would I have resented it? Maybe, but I knew my dad was watching the odometer, and knew pretty much how far and back I would be going... if he had this and could see exactly, I probably wouldn't have gotten away with some stuff that I did. Then again, maybe he would have let me anyways because "he was young once too"...

Perhaps it's more in how the tool is used.....

Thoughts?

l8braker
06-07-2007, 08:05 AM
If i had kids, this would def. be in their cars. Especially if i had a girl.

KRyn
06-07-2007, 08:17 AM

TKRIS
06-07-2007, 08:18 AM
When my kid turns 16, I would hope that I've brought her up well enough to not need to bug her car, but you never know.

I would truely hope that I'd have enough trust in my kid to allow them to leave the house without requiring them to wear a tracking device.

That said, believe it or not, I wasn't exactly a model teenager myself. I know, I know...shocking...

codetrap
06-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Its a tough argument. This type of thing wasn't necessary when I grew up at all. We lived in a pretty small town, and my parents knew half the city personally. So I knew that if I was up to no good, then I'd have it reported back upon me during the casual conversation...

"Oh by the way Gene, was that your son I saw....."

Now, living in a city like Calgary, where it's SOO easy to get involved in a bad element, or dragged into via peer pressure or simple mistake, perhaps knowing that Dad can access the car's travel history, speed etc, would reinforce the lessons that I would have hopefully taught them by that time of being responsible for their actions.

And if they did do something, that they would be able to own up to it.

As far as putting a tracking device on a cellphone, not sure I'd do that.. but a car is a different animal altogether. Too easy to kill someone, or get hurt themselves.. Also, how many times did we as kids violate our parents trust without them knowing it?

Is it being a responsible parent to use this tool? I kinda think so. I mean, if I asked my kid what they were doing with the car, and they told me something straight to my face, and I decided to spot check and confirm it, and they were telling the truth... after a couple of times, I would probably cancel the service and allow them much greater freedom... if they lied, then I would reduce that freedom with my car until they proved they were trustworthy..

I saw this on the news, and they had cameras in the car too, so the parents could see what the kids were doing.. that could be a great teaching tool to teach them to be a waaay better driver... or it could be a real nasty big brother..

:dunno:

Tik-Tok
06-07-2007, 09:10 AM
If/when I have kids, I'm sure by the time their old enough to drive, it will be mandatory government issue in all cars anyways.

BUT if it's not. I wouldn't put one in until they screwed up a few times, proving themselves untrustworthy.

Xtrema
06-07-2007, 06:09 PM
I agree with Tik Tok, let them be until proven untrustworthy.

BTW, they do have GPS enable phones too for young kids too if you worry about pedos. Older kids probably can figure it out pretty quick.

5hift
06-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
If i had kids, this would def. be in their cars. Especially if i had a girl.

:werd:

Except I wouldnt even ask them, it would be secretly installed on the car before they even got it.

Knowing the stuff I've done and gotten away with in my younger years it would be pretty hard to trust my kids even if they were completely innocent.

2BLUE
06-07-2007, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't tell them

I would for 100% have them in every car not only for the kids but i would watch the wife too. :rolleyes:

2BLUE
06-07-2007, 06:43 PM
I just called someone i know which has this kinda system which is a not bad one in canada...

http://www.thewitness.net/

toyboy88
06-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I agree with Tik Tok, let them be until proven untrustworthy.

:werd: