PDA

View Full Version : Accutane

nagooro
06-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Has anyone ever used it for acne treatment? or know someone who has?
Curious to know if it worked well, and what kind of side affects occured.

Thanks.

BokCh0y
06-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Depends on which one you use. There is Accutane 10 and 40, 40 bing the stronger of the two. I used 40 when I was younger and it worked great. Acne cleared up for years but returned when I was in my mid twenties. Saw the Dermatologist again and he put me on 10. Cleared everything up and been good since.

As for side effects, both 10 and 40 made my skin really dry, flaked everywhere. Eyes were dry and lips were chapped. Those are the only major side effects I had. When you start using Accutane it actually makes your acne worse for the first little bit then it starts to clear up. Once you get off it, it continues to get better and better. It depends on how bad your acne is, how long and how strong the treatment is for results.

Search the web on Accutane, there's tons of stories of side effects and shizzle that happened to people. Definitly use with discretion.

KRyn
06-07-2007, 08:38 AM
My friend used it and it worked very well for him, within the first two - three weeks the results where very noticable. However I belive that it makes your skin very dry and sensative. My buddy always had a bottle of lotion with him. Ohh and you are not suppose to drink when you take that stuff, but he did all the time.

nagooro
06-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
Depends on which one you use. There is Accutane 10 and 40, 40 bing the stronger of the two. I used 40 when I was younger and it worked great. Acne cleared up for years but returned when I was in my mid twenties. Saw the Dermatologist again and he put me on 10. Cleared everything up and been good since.

As for side effects, both 10 and 40 made my skin really dry, flaked everywhere. Eyes were dry and lips were chapped. Those are the only major side effects I had. When you start using Accutane it actually makes your acne worse for the first little bit then it starts to clear up. Once you get off it, it continues to get better and better. It depends on how bad your acne is, how long and how strong the treatment is for results.

Search the web on Accutane, there's tons of stories of side effects and shizzle that happened to people. Definitly use with discretion.

Who/where was the dermatologist you went to?
Thanks for the input guys.

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 09:27 AM
it works great. i guess for some ppl the side effects differ.i was on 40, skin was fine, but mind you i put moisturizer on my skin every morning and night.
my lips got chapped a bit but thats pretty much all.

and ya you're not suppose to drink while on accutane but i always did. you get a blood test once a month to check your thyoxin and something else that involves your liver.

edit: My dermatologist was Dr. Woolner.

Enhance
06-07-2007, 09:38 AM
I was on it a few years ago, it worked really well, only side effect was my addiction to blistex for a while after.

BrknFngrs
06-07-2007, 09:41 AM
great results for me too, saying your skin gets dry as a side effect was a major understatement, for me atleast, my skin got soooo dry it was comparable to a chemical burn.

BokCh0y
06-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by nagooro

Who/where was the dermatologist you went to?
Thanks for the input guys.

Dr. Allan Behm

Jackc
06-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Worked wonders for me. I was on 40 and before that my acne was pretty bad. Now its pretty much gone. Like everyone said before it does dry out your face but its not too bad if you moisturize daily. Definetly worth it I'd say. :thumbsup:

JNeil
06-07-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm just finishing up my 5th month of accutane, it worked wonders. No side effects except the dryness (which is cured by any skin lotion).

I was on 40 for a month then my doctor put me on 60 per day (1 40 one day then 2 40's the next). I strongly recommend it, especially if you're younger and it's just starting. I waited too long to start it and now I have quite a bit of scarring that won't go away any time soon..

P.S. I'm 17, almost 18 years old.

kerry
06-07-2007, 11:16 AM
I just finished using accutane and it worked great for me. The only downside is you
do get quite dry. My lips were really dry and it sucked to wear contacts for a while.
You want to get a good non-oil based lotion. I suggest ROC or Vichy. Cleared me
up nicely.

nagooro
06-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Are there any dermatologists in the NW you guys recommend? I would prefer one in the NW, but I dont mind driving further if needed.

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by JNeil
I'm just finishing up my 5th month of accutane, it worked wonders. No side effects except the dryness (which is cured by any skin lotion).

I was on 40 for a month then my doctor put me on 60 per day (1 40 one day then 2 40's the next). I strongly recommend it, especially if you're younger and it's just starting. I waited too long to start it and now I have quite a bit of scarring that won't go away any time soon..

P.S. I'm 17, almost 18 years old.

time will heal your scars. i started using accutane like 3 years ago...scars were bad back then, but now they are slowly starting to fade away.

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Are there any dermatologists in the NW you guys recommend? I would prefer one in the NW, but I dont mind driving further if needed.

like i said i go to Dr. Woolner, hes located @ market mall. with that clinic inside that building, and the blood test place. i dont remember what floor hes on though.

and im PRETTY SURE you have to make an appointment through your family doc. first. (refferred by a family doc)

nismodrifter
06-07-2007, 03:29 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/77787/proactive/

There are other peoples experiences with Accutane posted in that thread (including mine).

Long story short, I started using it a couple years ago, it works great but I went crazy because of it (serious depression, weird emotional shit, etc etc). I quit using it because of the side effects I was having and by that time my face was alright too.

My face has been clear up until now (it's been like 2 years since I have used Accutane) and I only get pimples during stressful times (exams...which I have every 3 weeks) but they clear right up when exam time is gonezo. Thats pretty acceptable IMO.

The weather is heating up down here in the Caribbean and I am sweating a bit more because of the heat. I noticed that I am gettin pimples again so I started Accutane back about 2 months ago but on a lighter dosage schedule (1-40pill every 2-3 days) and I noticed again that I can't concentrate worth shit. The drug just messes with my brain and I can't study worth shit. I end up getting nothing done. I had this same shit happen a couple years ago when I was on Accutane and it was one of the many reasons that made me stop using it. I am going to stop using it again because it is effecting my studies now. Shiet.

So yeah...the drug worked wonders for me in terms of clearing everything up but the side effects were bad in my case.

sexualbanana
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Drying is a not the major side effect. It causes liver (or kidney, I can't remember which exactly), and has been known to cause depression and suicidal thoughts, etc.

I can't remember which dosage I was on, but my dermatologist had me taking a piss test every month to make sure there was no significant damage to my internal organs.

JNeil
06-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Depression is a very rare, in not imaginary side effect, if you put someone on a placebo and tell them it might cause depression you are going to find people who just happen to be depressed and think it's caused by the drug... Same goes for suicidal thoughts, and no I'm not just making this up, i asked 3 different doctors about it and they all said almost word for word the same thing.

nagooro
06-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
Drying is a not the major side effect. It causes liver (or kidney, I can't remember which exactly), and has been known to cause depression and suicidal thoughts, etc.

I can't remember which dosage I was on, but my dermatologist had me taking a piss test every month to make sure there was no significant damage to my internal organs.
Would you recommend accutane based on your experience?

Mibz
06-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Long story short, I started using it a couple years ago, it works great but I went crazy because of it (serious depression, weird emotional shit, etc etc). I quit using it because of the side effects I was having and by that time my face was alright too.

My face has been clear up until now (it's been like 2 years since I have used Accutane) and I only get pimples during stressful times (exams...which I have every 3 weeks) but they clear right up when exam time is gonezo. Thats pretty acceptable IMO.That exactly what happened to me. The doctor warned me it would happen so I spent my first two days on the stuff indoors. Probably best I did. It messed me up bad.

That said, it got rid of my acne. I've been off it for awhile and do get pimples every now and then during stressful times but it's not enough to bother me. I do recommend taking it, I just hope it doesn't mess you up.

CCM Pro
06-07-2007, 07:38 PM
really no doubt on that it works to clear up acne...but at what cost?

Do some extensive research buddy...it is VERY powerful and can do some serious damage to the system...your liver and other organs are not meant to have that amount of betacarotene and Vitamin A taken in...the obvious side effects are dryness on lips, skin, etc...as well as eyes and nose which can cause severe nosebleeds ( I had to get both nostrils coterized)...because of the stress on the liver alcohol is bad as well as sunlight.

The long-term effects are not known keep in mind...and depression/suicide etc. is not common but obviously common enough to warrant most doctors to get patients to sign a release form stating they are aware of suicide tendencies.

Personally, and it may be coincidental, when I went on it in 1993 I had NO idea about any depression side effects and developed a bad anxiety condition which I went on medication for shortly after for over 10 years...it was not til 1999 when I had my dr. look at my medical history that we linked the two together...again it MIGHT be pure coincidence...but hey I am not the only one to have this happen who took Accutane...anyway there is no doubt it sucks bad to have acne but you have to decide if the risks (however small or large they may be) is worth it...just research a lot, talk to naturopaths and take the docs advice with a grain of salt...don't forget big pharm companies like Roche etc... have a lot of influence on some doctors:)

Good Luck

Ogpogo
06-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Has anyone ever used it for acne treatment? or know someone who has?
Curious to know if it worked well, and what kind of side affects occured.

Thanks.

My ex-girlfriend went on it years ago. She was cautioned of certain phycological side effects that may occur - depression, anxiety, etc. After a month she turned into a depressed bitch, after 3 she became a complete fucking loon and would fight about anything - even if it didnt make sence - and was just a chore to endure, month 5 into her accutaine treatment she was a different person and I had to leave her. But, chances are, shes just fucked in the head to begin with. Goodluck.

Sharpie
06-07-2007, 08:19 PM
I asked my doctor about it and he advised strongly against it because of all the side-affects...

Hakkola
06-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Accutane is the only thing that ever worked for me as a teenager, I swear by it, the side-effects were negligable, I don't even remember what they were, other than a pimple-free face.

Hakkola
06-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by CCM Pro

The long-term effects are not known keep in mind...and depression/suicide etc. is not common but obviously common enough to warrant most doctors to get patients to sign a release form stating they are aware of suicide tendencies.

If your acne is bad enough to see a Doctor, chances are you have low self-esteem. People with low self-esteem are more likely to commit suicide.

I never had to sign any release, and my highschool life would have sucked way more if I continued to have nasty acne.

ken-gsr
06-07-2007, 10:16 PM
^ I agree - I went on the 40 and it worked wonders for me. I tried everything and nothing worked.

Although I was told not to use lotion because it defeated the purpose of using it (it is supposed to dry out your pores) but judging by all of you guys I could have used it. Damn! that was a shitty 8 months.

I never had any emotional side effects.

sexualbanana
06-10-2007, 01:20 PM

Would you recommend accutane based on your experience?

I approached Accutane as a last resort. I'd tried everything before. A ton of prescription topical creams, every OTC cleaner/exfoliator/pad ever conceived by man, and none of it was working.

It wasn't until I went to another dermatologist that I was diagnosed with cystic acne, which is apparently the worst acne you can get (I think there's one more category that's incredibly rare, and incredibly shitty). That was when I made the decision to go with Accutane.

I wanted to avoid Accutane because of all the stuff I'd heard. But in the end, I didn't have any problems, psychologically or physically. My urine tests were always coming back normal. And my acne was not nearly has bad as it was before. The worst, noticable, side effects I had was dryness and having to stay out of the sun. But since I was on the program in the winter, the sun wasn't a big deal. All in all, I do recommend it if your acne is bad. Just do your own due diligence to make sure you're aware of the possible consequences.

nj2Type-S
06-10-2007, 04:25 PM
i'm on accutane right now. i've actually first took it about 4 yrs ago for 6 months. my face cleared up perfectly until i started to break out again about 2 yrs ago. i took it for another 3 months then. i'm on it right now for 3 more months.

the results are supposed to be for a long period of time but in my case, my acne comes back a couple of years or so after i stop using it; i just have to make sure i get my liver checked out, lol. mind you, i've had bad acne since i was 14, though.

as mentioned before, the side effects that i've encountered are: dry skin, dry eyes, frequent nose bleeds, joint pains and lack of energy. i don't feel depressed or anything soo yeah....

also, as mentioned before, only use accutane as a last resort. :thumbsup:

signature7
06-10-2007, 04:45 PM
I had tried everything before accutane, topical creams to AB pills, and nothing had work, keep in mind i didn't have extreme case of acne, i did not go to a dermatologist but after two years of trying everything my family doctor decided to put me on accutane, i had to get blood test to see if it was okay for my liver, which it was.

Doctors go through many precautions before recommending Accutane and when you are on it they follow it very well-in my case anyways.

I am in my 5 week of it and it has improved greatly, the only side effects i have is very dry skin, and lips. I have to carry around moistureizer everywhere. But that's about it, no depression or crying spells...yet.

And for girls it is much harder to prescribe, you have to take a program "ipledge" to make sure you do not get pregnant because it'll mess your child up. And you have to show proof of two methods of birth control while on the drug. Doctors that i've talked to dont have a problem with presribing accutane but it should be a last resort drug, and closely monitored.

Inzane
06-17-2007, 02:59 PM
I thought I'd chip in my 2 cents as well.

I took Accutane way back in '93, for about ~5 months I think. (I don't remember the dosage).

The stuff worked. Cleared me right up. I still get the occasional zit (I'm 33 now) now and then, but nothing to be worried about.

As for side effects, I didn't have any weird pyschological effects or organ damage (as far I know... nothing's every come up in my yearly physicals since).

But what I have found is: greater sensitivity to sunlight, both my skin and eyes. Ever since, I can't STAND being out in the sun without sunglasses and I burn now easier than I used to. My face tends to flush easily (meaning if I do anything remotely strenuous, or I get embarrassed about something, my face goes RED...) than it ever did before , and here's a wierd one: very little ear wax. Go figure, I don't know why but ever since I used accutane I hardly ever have any ear wax now. (must have to do with lower oil production from the skin now)

toyboy88
06-17-2007, 05:32 PM
I think the man reason they put the "depression/suicide" warning as well is that when you go on Accutane, it's supposed to "get worse" for the first couple months before it starts going all away.

Therefore some kids with already lower self-esteem see it get worse, and end up doing something like that because it doesn't seem to be "getting better" the first two months...espicially if it's during the high school year.

nj2Type-S
06-17-2007, 05:43 PM
^^^hmmm....good call on that, man...

i've been taking accutane for just about 2 months now and it seems to be getting worse than better...and i get pretty pissed about how it's working (though this is my 3rd time taking it, this is the first time it's gotten worse rather than improving).

finboy
06-17-2007, 05:45 PM
been on accutane 3 times

first time: crazy dry skin, and i had a split lip for 6 weeks at the end of it that would start bleeding randomly, and two nice long splits in the inside of my nostrils, no bleeding nose but they hurt like a bitch.

second time: went on for 2 months but the side effects were pissing me off so i stopped (really bad dry skin around my mouth)

Third time: just finished tha 6 month cycle, dry skin wasn't near as bad as the first 2 times, still had the 2 long skin splits in the nostrils for most of the time but overall my skin is pretty clear, occasional zit but i'm not too concerned any more.

accutane has also been linked to increased collesteral, and is an absolute last resort. i've tried everything else from doctors or over the counter, accutane works but it is a rough 6 months, worse for some more then others. ALSO i recomend doing it in fall-spring as it is highly recommended that you avoid too much sun exposure while on accutane, the catch22 of course is that calgary winters are dry as hell and will ravage your skin. I used the dermatology center by chinook.

good luck