PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Flood damage

GingeRRRBeef
06-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi guys, I need some help. My gf's 4 month old Madza3 hydro locked on Tuesday and they say it's gonna need a new engine. Sunridge Mazda say that it's gonna cost $12,000 to replace the engine. Even worse, her insurance might not have the "wrath of god" on her policy. What would you suggest she do?

benyl
06-07-2007, 11:02 AM
buy a used engine and replace it with that. What year is it?

shouldn't cost more than 3 grand.

GingeRRRBeef
06-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Brand new. It's 4 months old.

3 Gs??? How much do you expect labour to be?

Toms-SC
06-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Might as well make this a sticky. There is going to be a ton of these threads I bet.

benyl
06-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Engine
Mazda 3 2.3,N-308 329-X-,PULL TO CHECK
--km--
4,143 A F7C918

--Can--
$2200.00

Rock City Auto Supplies, LTD. Can-ON(Sudbury) Request_Quote 1-705-566-9670 Request_Insurance_Quote

Labour should be around $1G

Here is another one:

Engine
Mazda 3 BLU,2.3,AC,5 Sp,PWR TEST
--km--
14,994 7E2233
--Can--
$2034.00

Thorold Auto Parts and Recyclers Can-ON(Thorold) E-mail 1-905-227-4118 / 1-800-263-4708

GingeRRRBeef
06-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Engine
Mazda 3 2.3,N-308 329-X-,PULL TO CHECK 2,573
--km--
4,143 A F7C918 $1946.9
--Can--
$2200.00 Rock City Auto Supplies, LTD. Can-ON(Sudbury) Request_Quote 1-705-566-9670 Request_Insurance_Quote

Labour should be around $1G

Here is another one

Engine
Mazda 3 BLU,2.3,AC,5 Sp,PWR TEST 9,311
--km--
14,994 7E2233 $1800
--Can--
$2034.00 Thorold Auto Parts and Recyclers Can-ON(Thorold) E-mail 1-905-227-4118 / 1-800-263-4708

You're awesome! Where did you find these?

euro_racer
06-07-2007, 11:10 AM
www.car-part.com :thumbsup:

benyl
06-07-2007, 11:11 AM
haha, I got beat to it.

car-part.com

bobby_lu
06-07-2007, 11:19 AM
so...wtf is the point of insurance if it doesnt cover floods....??

let me guess they dont cover accidents, thefts or fires either :rolleyes:

GingeRRRBeef
06-07-2007, 11:27 AM
How can I make sure that the engine isn't a piece of junk?

D. Dub
06-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by bobby_lu
so...wtf is the point of insurance if it doesnt cover floods....??

let me guess they dont cover accidents, thefts or fires either :rolleyes:

Why should insurance companies cover someone who makes a bad decision to drive through deep water and hydrolock their engine?!?!!? It's their fault :dunno:

rage2
06-07-2007, 11:33 AM
How do you know she drove thru water? Maybe she was parked at the Chinook parkade.

benyl
06-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV
How can I make sure that the engine isn't a piece of junk?

Most auto wreakers have a warranty for like a year.

Realize this though... no matter what you do, you GF car will not have a powertrain warranty. Even if you buy the $12,000 motor from Mazda, they won't give you warranty.

Flood damage is considered negligence and they will void it.

If the guys at Mazda say otherwise, get it in writing.

D. Dub
06-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by rage2
How do you know she drove thru water? Maybe she was parked at the Chinook parkade.

B/C you have a running engine to hydrolock it.

But you have a good point -- I guess it could have happened after it sat in deep water :dunno:

rage2
06-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by D. Dub
B/C you have a running engine to hydrolock it.
haha fuck I think you got me there :rofl:.

D. Dub
06-07-2007, 12:00 PM

haha fuck I think you got me there :rofl:.

Well..... occasionally (rarely) I have moments of enlightenment :D

yellowsnow
06-07-2007, 12:13 PM
you should make an appointment with a mechanic ASAP... lots of ppl will probably need to change engines/get their cars completely detailed, etc.

88CRX
06-07-2007, 12:19 PM
If you get stuck in a flash flood where the water is rising faster then traffic is moving out of the way that insurance won't cover it? BS I'd be fighting that one forsure.

A2VR6
06-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
If you get stuck in a flash flood where the water is rising faster then traffic is moving out of the way that insurance won't cover it? BS I'd be fighting that one forsure.

As would I... however i'd bet you'd here them tell you that you shoulda turned the car off or something :rolleyes:

88CRX
06-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

As would I... however i'd bet you'd here them tell you that you shoulda turned the car off or something :rolleyes:

Exactly.....water damage is water damage.

What about the interior or any of the electronics? Not covered under insurance at all? I highly doubt that.

A2VR6
06-07-2007, 12:31 PM

Exactly.....water damage is water damage.

What about the interior or any of the electronics? Not covered under insurance at all? I highly doubt that.

I almost tend to think it is covered... look at all the cars in the states that got hit by flooding or some other kind of natural disaster (ie. Hurricane). They all have salvage titles and what not... I'd be surprised if the owners of those vehicles werent compensated by insurance.

DNSDJS
06-07-2007, 12:40 PM
hmmm good tip guys .. .
my bros accord was hit with the flood
they were on mcknight and traffic was moving reali slow
when the water started to rise faster and faster.. their car stalled
in the water as they didnt know what to do..
they couldnt back up or move faster fwrd.
im gonna tell him to fight it with the insurance company.
see what happens..
but
other than that
how much u think labour is for honda engines?
any guesses?
its a 2006

rage2
06-07-2007, 12:49 PM
OK so, I was kinda curious about insurance coverage, so I called mine up to see what the deal was. Basically, there's 3 levels of coverage.

1. PLPD - Mandatory, covers others when you're at fault
2. Collision - For accidents where you are at fault or uninsured guy hitting u and its his fault, this covers your own vehicle.
3. Comprehensive/All Perils - floods, lightning, and everything else

So everyone MUST have PLPD. Most ppl have just collision for newer cars. Surprisingly, a lot of ppl opt out of All Perils/Comprehensive, which is fairly cheap (compared to collision). If your gf skimp out on all perils/comprehensive to save a few bucks a year, you're SOL and won't get coverage for the motor.

D. Dub
06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
OK so, I was kinda curious about insurance coverage, so I called mine up to see what the deal was. Basically, there's 3 levels of coverage.

2. Collision - For accidents where you are at fault or uninsured guy hitting u and its his fault, this covers your own vehicle.

So everyone MUST have PLPD. Most ppl have just collision for newer cars. Surprisingly, a lot of ppl opt out of All Perils/Comprehensive, which is fairly cheap (compared to collision). If your gf skimp out on all perils/comprehensive to save a few bucks a year, you're SOL and won't get coverage for the motor.

Yup that pretty much sums it up.

No All Perils ---no donaros

bmeier
06-07-2007, 01:11 PM
it would be crazy not to have comprehensive on your policy since it costs hardly anything.

88CRX
06-07-2007, 01:12 PM
If your gf skimp out on all perils/comprehensive to save a few bucks a year, you're SOL and won't get coverage for the motor.

If it's financed aren't you required to have full insurance coverage anyways?

I'm gonna call my insurance to make sure i have that on my plan haha.... that would suck.

rage2
06-07-2007, 01:15 PM
haha ya that's why I called insurance, to make sure I was topped up on everything. I even brought up the lightning to the house scenario, I would be covered for it all :thumbsup:.

bobby_lu
06-07-2007, 01:19 PM
ohh that explains it...

weve always had full comprehensive..

lol to bad i didnt see more than 5-10mm of rain just 5 mins south of the city :love:

Skyline_Addict
06-07-2007, 01:24 PM

If it's financed aren't you required to have full insurance coverage anyways?

yep. you must have PLPD and comprehensive if you are leasing or financing a car through the dealership. i am not 100% sure if it's the same deal if you are paying for your car through a bank loan, but i believe that in that case it would depend on the age of your car (older car you wouldn't have to, newer car you would).

rage2
06-07-2007, 01:26 PM
You have to have the same thing for bank car specific loans. If you have a LOC, they don't give a shit what u have ;).

2BLUE
06-07-2007, 01:29 PM
drain the oil and pull the pan

pull the plugs

make sure there's spark and fire it up.

i hydrolock engines all the time 4x4ing ive got pictures of my old jeep sitting in a creek for 2 days. As long as the electrical is okay then just do what i said.

Make sure all the plugs are out and fire the water out

2BLUE
06-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Shoudn't have taken it to the dealer!!!!

eur0
06-07-2007, 01:35 PM

Im glad you asked, I always hear about types of coverage but as stupidly simple as they are, I never knew :dunno:.

Syph3r
06-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
drain the oil and pull the pan

pull the plugs

make sure there's spark and fire it up.

i hydrolock engines all the time 4x4ing ive got pictures of my old jeep sitting in a creek for 2 days. As long as the electrical is okay then just do what i said.

Make sure all the plugs are out and fire the water out

Well thats all and fine as long as she didnt bend the connecting rods or f**ked up anything else. If she did then dosn't matter what you do likleyhood is your boned....:cry: (and not in the good way etheir ;) )

Tik-Tok
06-07-2007, 01:40 PM
You have to have the same thing for bank car specific loans. If you have a LOC, they don't give a shit what u have ;).

Depends on the bank. My `05 Mustang was through Scotia, and they had NO insurance requirements (surprising I know, so was I when I asked, lol).

2BLUE
06-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I dont know if thats an interference engine.

benyl
06-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
I dont know if thats an interference engine.

Doesn't matter.

Interference engine is about valves getting hit by the piston if the timing belt/chain breaks. Hydrolocking damages the piston / rod because water cannot be compressed.

cloud7
06-07-2007, 07:51 PM
haha ya that's why I called insurance, to make sure I was topped up on everything. I even brought up the lightning to the house scenario, I would be covered for it all :thumbsup:.

most home insurance policies DO NOT cover flooding... because it is the single most destructive and costly natural disaster on earth and it is a pretty common.

Sharpie
06-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Most auto wreakers have a warranty for like a year.

Realize this though... no matter what you do, you GF car will not have a powertrain warranty. Even if you buy the $12,000 motor from Mazda, they won't give you warranty.

Flood damage is considered negligence and they will void it.

If the guys at Mazda say otherwise, get it in writing.

From my experience auto-wreckers only warranty for 30-60 days. So basicly it gives you enough time to get the engine in and make sure it runs and shit. But as for buying from the dealer the engine most times (again from my experience) will have a certain powertrain warranty so you are good. But I am stumped on how they will deal with the warranty on different things after the fact...

Originally posted by cloud7

most home insurance policies DO NOT cover flooding... because it is the single most destructive and costly natural disaster on earth and it is a pretty common.
Alot of insurance companies wont cover flood damage if you live on a flood plane... But backed-up sewage is a different story ;)

urban.one
06-07-2007, 08:14 PM
There was a good story on Global news at 6pm today about insurance and flood damaged cars.

They were saying that recently insurance companies have gone to writing off pretty much all flood damaged cars. Its not worth their time and money to fix them. They said that a lot of cars which were borderline would get fixed in the past but then have recurring problems and would cost the insurance companies a fortune.

bignerd
06-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Thanks Rage, just checked our own policy since you brought it up.

Appears that Comprehensive is the way to go-Covers the automobile against loss or damage caused other than by collision or upset. The coverage is not confined to specific hazards and is therefore broader in scope than the alternative coverage (which would be Specified Perils)

Specified Perils-Covers the automobile against loss or damage caused by certain perils. They are fire, theft, lightning, windstorm, hail, earthquake, explosion, riot, falling aircraft(!), rising water, or an accident to a vehicle or boat on which the vehicle is being transported.

All Perils-Combines your Collision and Comprehensive coverage.

Collision/Upset-Covers damage to caused by collision with another car, another object or upset.

Third Party Liability/PLPD-Covers your legal liability for bodily injury to or death of any person or damage to property.

Glad to see we have the All Perils coverage!!

Also your deductible is waived if the car is damaged/written off by fire, theft, or lightning-according to our policy.

BrokenAxle
06-09-2007, 11:19 PM
if you do need the engine replaced, i'm a mechanic and do some work out of my garage. i can beat any dealer price and i will stand behind my work. if you need it done just let me know.

Dave

rage2
06-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Well I found someone that got hydrolocked, and didn't have all perils. He's going thru all this pain cuz he wanted to save $10/month haha. What's worse is he's being ripped off by some Airdrie shop too. They're charging him $1000 to "try" and fix the car by replacing the plugs, air filter, and a bunch of other stuff. That's right... $1000 to pull the plugs, pull the fuel pump fuse, and attempt to start the car and purging the water from the engine :thumbsdow. If they do charge him for the work, I'm going to write about it to make sure they don't rip off anyone else.

Machi
06-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Sorry for the newb question but.. my sisters car got flooded also and insurance says its a write off and they're gonna reimburse her... with that said, is she able to pull off parts she wants to keep (aftermarket spoiler, rims, etc) before they do who knows what with it??