PDA

View Full Version : quick question about house parties and neighbours

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 11:15 AM
so i plan on hosting a huge party here soon. turning my place into a Fuel lounge sorta type style. live DJ in the backyard, speakers, music, drinking, etc.
(this isnt unusual for me to have a party either, i have one every friday but without the live dj)

i plan on starting it at around 2:00pm and ending it around 10pm or so, and bringing it inside.

my question is since ill be having music playing outside, and ya im sure it'll be a bit loud, can my neighbours call the cops on me for like noise complaint or anything during the day?
cuz if so then that'll be no fun, and itd be pointless to set up a DJ then.

1. ill have the music turned off by 10 or 1030 wutever.
2. there will be no underage drinking happening.

thanks.

codetrap
06-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Call 311 and ask them.

KRyn
06-07-2007, 11:23 AM

rage2
06-07-2007, 11:24 AM
I've hosted a few crazy parties back in the day. Actually, I hosted one for my bro's friends a few weeks back with about 50 ppl and a guest list.

The secret is to talk to all your neighbors beforehand, let them know you're having a party, and if things get out of hand and they're not happy to contact you directly, etc. Let them know you'll clean up day after if there's garbage.

One of my parties when I was in high school I had about 400 ppl show up, 150 in the house nobody could walk at all... and the rest stuck outside can't get in cuz it was so packed lol. No cops were called, even tho the street was literally packed with cars, ppl, beer hehe.

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I've hosted a few crazy parties back in the day. Actually, I hosted one for my bro's friends a few weeks back with about 50 ppl and a guest list.

The secret is to talk to all your neighbors beforehand, let them know you're having a party, and if things get out of hand and they're not happy to contact you directly, etc. Let them know you'll clean up day after if there's garbage.

One of my parties when I was in high school I had about 400 ppl show up, 150 in the house nobody could walk at all... and the rest stuck outside can't get in cuz it was so packed lol. No cops were called, even tho the street was literally packed with cars, ppl, beer hehe.

hahaha fk that sounds intense! my party is diffenitly not gonna be as big as yours. every friday i usually only have like 20-30 ppl over.
this one im talking about with the dj n all i plan on only having maybe 40 max or so.
i guess i shall talk to my neighbours, they better let us though we were the first ones to step foot in our block! 17yrs now.
erm, but we just got some new neighbours, and they have a kid around the age of 10 or 12 or so. i hope they're fine with it.
but either than that i have pretty good relations with my neighbours.

rage2
06-07-2007, 11:41 AM
haha my bro's party he had a DJ there too. Pool table, big screen TV with the Houston game on (they lost :thumbsdow), BBQ'ing out back it was like a sports bar haha.

My huge party that I had, this was when I was a DJ, we had a wall of amps and speakers, 2 turntables, and 4 different DJ's thru the night. The sauna was the hot box for the smokers haha. Man did I ever destroy my parents carpet haha. It's all hardwood now at my parents house :rofl:.

'93 SR-V
06-07-2007, 11:46 AM
I believe they can file a noise complaint even if it's before 11 or 10 or whatever it is... Your best bet as mentioned would be to talk to them beforehand.

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 11:46 AM
haha my bro's party he had a DJ there too. Pool table, big screen TV with the Houston game on (they lost :thumbsdow), BBQ'ing out back it was like a sports bar haha.

My huge party that I had, this was when I was a DJ, we had a wall of amps and speakers, 2 turntables, and 4 different DJ's thru the night. The sauna was the hot box for the smokers haha. Man did I ever destroy my parents carpet haha. It's all hardwood now at my parents house :rofl:.

damn i have to learn from you, on how to host good house parties.

ya i plan on having a bbq, renting 2 music speakers from axe music (cuz i really dont feel like destroying my surround sound speakers/ subs), 2 djs through out the day and making everyone bring a 2'6 of some sort of hard liqour so that we will have a full bar setup pretty much, while i supply all the beer needed.
i dont want this thing to be getting outta control, so im limiting my party to just my group of friends.

and besides i host these things just so that we can party outside and enjoy the nice weather! weather like this cant be wasted by going to the bar.

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
Call 311 and ask them.

what is 311? is this liek city bylaw services line or something?

rage2
06-07-2007, 11:50 AM
just "rent" from futureshop ;). As in buy and return haha. Use a platinum card with insurance on it. That way, if you damage anything u buy, the card covers it. If nothings broken, return it.

With the rental system, you can get some pretty kick ass gear for your party. Like 1000W of audio power haha.

As for what to do for the party to make it kickass, think of all the house parties you've been to, take the best elements, and offer it at your place. That's how I do it... and it usually turns out pretty kickass.

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 12:03 PM
just "rent" from futureshop ;). As in buy and return haha. Use a platinum card with insurance on it. That way, if you damage anything u buy, the card covers it. If nothings broken, return it.

With the rental system, you can get some pretty kick ass gear for your party. Like 1000W of audio power haha.

As for what to do for the party to make it kickass, think of all the house parties you've been to, take the best elements, and offer it at your place. That's how I do it... and it usually turns out pretty kickass.

honestly... i didnt go to many house parties back in the day, i hated them because of all the drama, potential fights etc etc. so i stuck to the clubs.
the reason why everyone likes coming over to my place on friday is cuz we're one huge group of friends, and everyone is cool with everyone else. got some bumpin' beats playing from inside the house, we drink ridicoulus amounts of alcohol and the weather is beautiful.

so this time all i want to do is up it a few more steps by throwing a live DJ onto my patio and cooking up some grub. and ya like i said earlier if everyone were to contribute 1 2'6 of something, then we'd have a full bar.
another cool thing, my friend is friends with quite a few coors light girls, it would be SICK if he could bring them over. cuz really all we drink is coors. :)

house parties get stupid when you get random guests start showing up starting shit. thats why i just wanna keep this exclusive to friends only.

FlamingC19
06-07-2007, 12:45 PM
I've always been told that at party's cops cant show up until 11pm for noice violations.

If your neighbours are cool with it you got no problems:thumbsup:

alloroc
06-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Used to party pretty hard- every weekend when I was *cough* younger buddies and I had a party every other weekend and we lived in a duplex with no complaints.

Everyone that showed had to throw 5 bucks in a hat. We used that to give the cash to the couple that lived next door so they could go out of town Banff/Canmore for the weekend.

Half the time they'd just use it to buy booze and party with us :thumbsup:

rage2
06-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
house parties get stupid when you get random guests start showing up starting shit. thats why i just wanna keep this exclusive to friends only.
Yep... my big party I was lucky... we were prep'd tho, we had a few saw'd off shotguns under the DJ booth in case shit got outta hand :rofl:. My bro's party, we made him do a guest list and enforced it at the door (except for hot chicks they were allowed regardless). A few ppl came and we turned them down. They broke a lawnchair on my lawn those fuckers! haha.

SinisterProbeGt
06-07-2007, 01:25 PM
CAll 311 adn ask about permits. If you get a drinking license for the evening (cost $150.00) the cops can;t shut you down till 2AM.
Also you can ask for an extention on the noise bylaw. That will shut you down at 11pm. City hall 2nd floor you will b able to buy both certs and that make the party legal and no one can shut you down regardless of complaints till 2 am

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
CAll 311 adn ask about permits. If you get a drinking license for the evening (cost $150.00) the cops can;t shut you down till 2AM.
Also you can ask for an extention on the noise bylaw. That will shut you down at 11pm. City hall 2nd floor you will b able to buy both certs and that make the party legal and no one can shut you down regardless of complaints till 2 am

you gotta be shitting me...theres stuff like that for house parties!?
omg...that would be intense!!! HAHA

have you've done this before? ooo man my neighbours would hate me if i did that...i donno if i should push it that far.

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 01:34 PM

Yep... my big party I was lucky... we were prep'd tho, we had a few saw'd off shotguns under the DJ booth in case shit got outta hand :rofl:. My bro's party, we made him do a guest list and enforced it at the door (except for hot chicks they were allowed regardless). A few ppl came and we turned them down. They broke a lawnchair on my lawn those fuckers! haha.

HAHAHA k im asian n all too, but we aint gangsta like you man.

ya but since we're a bit older now, i dont think ill have that problem of having unknowns show up. its not like high school where, word of a house party spreads like wild fire.
i trust my friends that they wont be telling EVERY single friend they got to come.

JAYMEZ
06-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Party at WRX's house .... Everyone invited!!!

Hahah jj....

The best thing ever would tell your neighbours before hand... Hell to make it even better , get them a $25 gift certificate to like earls or something , and they can go eat while you have your loud music outside.. Nothing says you care more than free food :love:

gkAeris
06-07-2007, 01:59 PM
so where and when is the party?:D haha

max_boost
06-07-2007, 02:01 PM
holy shit, rage2 knows how to throw a fucking party.

snowboard
06-07-2007, 02:04 PM
im there!!

haha im lucky, no one lives across the street from me, no one lives behind me cause there is a lake and both houses around me, which by the way are huge, are fuckin empty?
its awesome haha.

Yah man just chat the neighbours up act responsible. my neighbours when i lived in pineridge and had huge parties on a weekly basis would come outside and cheer on the fights haha

hedge
06-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Well guess I have to present the other side. Admittedly I'm older than the rest of you and I have kids.

I really don't appreciate the house parties at all. Good luck trying to get my kid to have a nap when some asshat is pumping some crappy music.

I moved to the burbs trying to escape this sort of thing and then run into it anyways.

JRSC00LUDE
06-07-2007, 02:30 PM
^

That's the shitty thing about neighbors (and I'm not knocking your opinion at all), one thinks it's their right to have a quiet little church street because they paid to live there and the other thinks it's his right to do whatever the hell he wants because he paid to live there. Neither one is right but sometimes it's hard to find the compromise to keep everyone happy.

Asking ahead is the best you can do and I am sure the gesture will go a long way now and in the future. Everbody appreciates consideration.

TomcoPDR
06-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Yea asking your surrounding neighbours ahead FTW...

I did the 200+ when my parents were away in high school, that was back in the Ice-cube you can do it if you put ur ass into it days tho... Kinda told the neighbours I was having a "FEW" friends over lol... But I'm old school representin' that street (i.e. first house built) so they got no probl...

Two of the neighbour's their daughters were looking out the window and prowling the street with nothing to do (summer time), would had invited them over had they not been 14.

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by hedge
Well guess I have to present the other side. Admittedly I'm older than the rest of you and I have kids.

I really don't appreciate the house parties at all. Good luck trying to get my kid to have a nap when some asshat is pumping some crappy music.

I moved to the burbs trying to escape this sort of thing and then run into it anyways.

haha would suck ass to live beside you...id have to get that liqour permit that sinister was talking about every wknd.

but no...its okay im on good terms with all my neighbours...last wks party lasted till about...230-3. no noise complaints.

its just that this one coming up i know is gonna be really loud. thanks for all your guys input, i guess i MAY have to charge an entrance fee to get a few things.

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 04:51 PM
soo what happens if they say no right on the spot? im not too sure about my new neighbours, i donno what they'll say.

should i still have it even if they say no? hahaha fk it i will.

better yet, i wont ask, i will tell them. no is not an option :)

air_mikey
06-07-2007, 04:55 PM
why don't you print out flyers and put it on their door? you can just print it on normal paper, doesnt have to be fancy or anything. That way they will know what is going on.

or... you and your friends should just come down to Lotus :angel:

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by air_mikey
why don't you print out flyers and put it on their door? you can just print it on normal paper, doesnt have to be fancy or anything. That way they will know what is going on.

or... you and your friends should just come down to Lotus :angel:

ya dood dont worry mike...ill for sure come check it out soon...friday is your hip hop night righT?

busy as fk there?

jay42w8
06-07-2007, 09:39 PM
:goflames:

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
I somewhat agree.

Ive been there, done that, in terms of crazy house parties. Nothing good ever happens; things get broken -trees, grass, flowers get trampled, people pi$$ on everything outside, cars get vandalized, etc. Theres always at least a few drunk idiots who get the rowdy sh!t going. And thats not even mentioning what happens inside the house.

Even in my grad school days where people were older and supposedly more mature, parties often got out of control.

The description of this party sounds pretty crazy. It sounds like your essentially taking a patio from a bar and putting it in your back yard. The music and noise from 50 people is going to travel thru your whole neighbourhood unless you live in the middle of the bush. Id be worried about more than just your next door neighbours.

Let us know how the party goes.

we've all been there done that.

my parties on fridays dont get out of control. my friends that come over (20 of them or so) they're all good friends of MINE. so they know not to fk around, fk shit up, and to respect me and my house so im not too worried about my house/ personal belongings/ other public/ private property surrounding my house.
its just the noise level im concerned with. that is why im suggesting to start my party @ 2pm and ending it around 1030, and brining the music inside. the ppl can stay outside, cuz we're usually not too loud after a certain time.

codetrap
06-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Man, sound to me like you got this pretty much well laid out, and you're doing your best to be considerate of your neighbors.

Providing that your generally that considerate, and your guests as well, I don't see the problem at all. Especially when as your neighbor you invited me over :P

ken-gsr
06-07-2007, 10:28 PM
It's all hardwood now at my parents house :rofl:.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

l/l/rX
06-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Man, sound to me like you got this pretty much well laid out, and you're doing your best to be considerate of your neighbors.

Providing that your generally that considerate, and your guests as well, I don't see the problem at all. Especially when as your neighbor you invited me over :P

you're my neighbour?

codetrap
06-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Don't think so, but at this point, with all the fun, I'm kindof wishing I was. :D

hussein
06-08-2007, 08:53 AM
No shit, I want on the waiting list to become your neighbor, too. :rofl:

teggypimp95
06-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Call and ask 311 or what ever just to find out the rules, and go talk to your neighbours that would be effect. They would be less likely to call the cops if you were kind enough to ask/warn them. PLus if they know it will be quiet by 10 im sure that would also help.

Euro_Trash
06-08-2007, 09:50 AM

we were prep'd tho, we had a few saw'd off shotguns under the DJ booth in case shit got outta hand

Drinking + Shotguns :clap:

MackDawg
06-08-2007, 10:11 AM
i live in the country so we always have some bangin partys in the feild, fuck last time i had a old car out their i bought for 10 bucks and i jumped it then burned it down fuck that was a bad night 300+ ppl, we had another fire going with about 60 foot high flames and people from town phoned the fire department thought some ones house was on fire.

DannyO
06-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by urban.one

The description of this party sounds pretty crazy. It sounds like your essentially taking a patio from a bar and putting it in your back yard. The music and noise from 50 people is going to travel thru your whole neighbourhood unless you live in the middle of the bush. Id be worried about more than just your next door neighbours.

:werd: When the music is outside and especially going into the night, the music travels far, my old DJ setup was outside when I threw a party for my sister (neighbours knew and were cool with it), we had cops show around 10pm and said that a house down the other end of our street was complaining about the music levels, luckily we had a cop AT the party and he came to the door and sorted it out.....so we kept on playing :D , after that, knowing that my speakers could go pretty loud, I got rid of them.........and bought a club system for my house :D .

DayGlow
06-08-2007, 11:02 AM
any time noise impacts anyone and effects their quality of life a noise violation can be laid.

The time guild lines are for more for use of motorized equipment, etc.

But if you are blasting music during the daytime and it effects the quality of life of someone, ie bass rattling their fixtures, etc inside their home then a noise violation can be laid.

There is higher tolerance during the day, but if the cops come and tell you to keep it down because people are calling and you keep going, then the tickets will start to come. If you ignore the tickets then a mischief charge could be laid. Ultimately if you keep going you could be arrested and thrown in jail to stop the continuation of the offense.

l/l/rX
06-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow
any time noise impacts anyone and effects their quality of life a noise violation can be laid.

The time guild lines are for more for use of motorized equipment, etc.

But if you are blasting music during the daytime and it effects the quality of life of someone, ie bass rattling their fixtures, etc inside their home then a noise violation can be laid.

There is higher tolerance during the day, but if the cops come and tell you to keep it down because people are calling and you keep going, then the tickets will start to come. If you ignore the tickets then a mischief charge could be laid. Ultimately if you keep going you could be arrested and thrown in jail to stop the continuation of the offense.

thanks for the post! :thumbsup:

codetrap
06-08-2007, 01:14 PM
You should send DayGlow an invite! Having an officer on site to provide a "guideline" for the party would definitely be an asset. :thumbsup:

l/l/rX
06-08-2007, 01:34 PM
You should send DayGlow an invite! Having an officer on site to provide a "guideline" for the party would definitely be an asset. :thumbsup:

hahaha you just want me to invite everyone over huh?

dayglow is a cop? ill pass with having cops over @ my place. if anything goes wrong THEN they can come over. but it wont happen.

i hope the weather is nice tomorrow.

.civictyper.
06-08-2007, 01:39 PM
ya Jaretttttt!!!

l/l/rX
06-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by .civictyper.
ya Jaretttttt!!!

who are you? hahaha

thanatos1111
06-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Dude, if you haven't rented your stuff yet, go to Long and McQuade and talk to Jordie (sp?)... He will HOOK YOU UP...

I went houseboating on the shuswap and rented 2 550W speakers, some lights etc... came to around 90 bucks all weekend. Definitely worth the money to rent the high end stuff. I'm thinking if you lived on a cul-de-sac and all your neighbors were cool with it, you could start one MF'ing block party. Barricade the exit with construction gates/cars and have at it.

DayGlow
06-09-2007, 09:37 PM
you also want to be weary of charging a cover or for any alcohol you serve. You are then getting into the realm of an unlicensed, unzoned drinking establishment and the Gaming and Liquor board lacks any sense of humor. You could be facing 10's of thousands of $$$ in fines from them.

Also on the civil side any time you throw a bash the host has a part in liability of the actions of their guests. Someone gets drunk and crashes killing someone, you could be sued. In that event most likely your home owner insurance will leave you hanging and refuse to cover you.

I've seen permits for block parties in the past, but they do not include a liquor license. I doubt you could get one for a residence. You would have to rent a community hall as it would be zoned for it in the first place.

l/l/rX
06-10-2007, 01:10 PM
you also want to be weary of charging a cover or for any alcohol you serve. You are then getting into the realm of an unlicensed, unzoned drinking establishment and the Gaming and Liquor board lacks any sense of humor. You could be facing 10's of thousands of $$$ in fines from them.

Also on the civil side any time you throw a bash the host has a part in liability of the actions of their guests. Someone gets drunk and crashes killing someone, you could be sued. In that event most likely your home owner insurance will leave you hanging and refuse to cover you.

I've seen permits for block parties in the past, but they do not include a liquor license. I doubt you could get one for a residence. You would have to rent a community hall as it would be zoned for it in the first place.

...you're scaring me.

GTS Jeff
06-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

...you're scaring me. LOL don't worry about it. Some cops take their jobs way too seriously and sometimes forget that the spirit of the law means more than the word of the law.

If anyone, cop or not, actually thinks that more than 0.0001% of of people hosting a party are going to get a liquor license, they are delusional.

Crymson
06-10-2007, 06:10 PM
On May 5, 2006, in the much anticipated decision of Childs v. Desormeaux, 2006 S.C.C. 18, a unanimous Supreme Court of Canada concluded that as a general rule, a social host does not owe a duty of care to a person who is injured in a traffic accident by a guest who has consumed alcohol at the social host’s residence.

http://www.worldservicesgroup.com/publications.asp?action=article&artid=1441

However, in the realm of minors, i think you can still be held liable, especially if you're not a minor.

schocker
06-10-2007, 06:23 PM
he could just get a temp liquor liscence
link (http://www.aglc.gov.ab.ca/licences/specialevents.asp)

DayGlow
06-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by schocker

he could just get a temp liquor liscence
link (http://www.aglc.gov.ab.ca/licences/specialevents.asp)

I doubt you could get one for a residential house. You can get them when you rent a community hall and such.

DayGlow
06-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
LOL don't worry about it. Some cops take their jobs way too seriously and sometimes forget that the spirit of the law means more than the word of the law.

If anyone, cop or not, actually thinks that more than 0.0001% of of people hosting a party are going to get a liquor license, they are delusional.

no one does. But once someone starts advertising a party and charges a cover for entrance or for booze, then they are trying to run a business, which is very different from a party.

l/l/rX
06-10-2007, 10:28 PM

no one does. But once someone starts advertising a party and charges a cover for entrance or for booze, then they are trying to run a business, which is very different from a party.

well im not really charging cover ... just getting a few friends to help pitch in, to rent a few things.

Nissanaddict
06-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Just have to say, this is a great and informative thread. Good to have DayGlow on here.

spikerS
06-11-2007, 10:36 AM
As someone who has thrown many parties, here are some great tips.

If you are going to have a big party, invite all your neighbours, and let them know this is happening well in advance, like a full month, that way if they think that the noise will bother them, they can take steps to minimize this.

2, Cover charges. nothing wrong with them. we used to charge the guests $15 to attend. once they were in, the 7 or 8 kegs of beer were open bar, and we never had a liqour licence. The neighbours we invited, if they came did not have to pay cover.

3, have a couple of friends that don't drink much, and fairly large in stature watch the entrance and make sure no undesirable come. with any party, unwanted people will just show up, and these are the people that usually trash the place, and cause way more unwanted attention to be focused on your property. And reward the people that do watch out for this with thier own party. take em out after the event, and praise the hell out of them, so that when you throw another one of these parties, they are more likely willing to take on this role again.

4, renting gear is great, usually pretty cheap, and much better quality, and your gear does not get wrecked. Usually it is best to put the sound gear in a garage to more or less direct the sound, and minimize the effect on the neighbours.

We used to throw a big party like this once a year in cochrane, and called it the "atrocity fest". Every year the cops came, but not because someone had called them. most times it was because the cops could hear it from the police station, and just asked us to turn down the volume. When the cops come, be the most kind and generous person on the planet. We would put bottles of water in a cooler with ice, so that when the cops did come, we could offer them a refreshment as well, and would invite them as well (refer back to point 3, they work great when this issue arises) once they were off shift.

We also approached businesses and they would even sponsor the event. like hottubs, sometimes sound gear, last time we did it, molson sponsored it, supplies, tents. in exchange for this, we printed up little info packages, the sponsors got to advertize, and we had all the more fun.

With the proper planning and execution, block parties are a real blast.