PDA

View Full Version : Getting plates when your class 7

BlaCkPlaGUE
06-16-2003, 03:02 AM
Alright, I of course want my class 6. But I got to wait becuase training is booked pretty solid for a while, so im wondering if I can get started with regisration of my bike a little ahead of time.

Heres whats happening. I FINALLY finished restoring my bike, I gave it a new paint job and I did it all myself, its finished, im awaiting the mufflers in the mail right now as I type. As soon as they come, my baby is ready to go.

Since I have only a class 7 license, legally I HAVE to be with someone if I want to ride, its the only way. I have a someone that can ride with me, he has his class 6 and it will be all good, but here's the question. To ride with my friend while I have my learners, and for him to teach me, Im guessing that im going to of course have to register my bike with the province, how do I go about doing this, exactly?
Do I just go into the registry and tell them that I have my class 7, I want to ride with someone with their class 6, and I need plates?
Someone tell me some more, I really need some advice right now.

some quick questions
1) What do I exactly need to bring with me?
2) How much does this all cost? roughly if your not sure
3) How much does a custom plate cost? (Just curious)
4) Will my plate be different of those who have a class 6?

I would REALLY appreciate it if someone could answer the above, im really excited now to actually get going on my bike, but these questions are in the way for the moment.

Thank you for your time.

BlaCkPlaGUE
06-16-2003, 03:15 AM
After doing a little bit of searching, I've found out a couple answers to my questions myself.. heh.. im impatient sorry.

To register your vehicle, you must bring 3 items with you. Your bill of sale, your pink slip (insurance) and your identification. Thats all they want.

So basically it costs somewhere around 70$ for the registration, custom plates are 200$!!! so I wont be doin that.
Insurance according to primmum is gonna cost me about 600$ a year, according to their online qoute calculator. If I get my class 6 and take the training course, it will drop to 550$ approx. Im not gonna take the quote seriously until I actually call them up and hear a price, not see.

anyways, is this all accurate?

dogstar
06-16-2003, 05:48 PM
sounds fairly accurate, mind you its been a long ass time since i looked at any of that info.

600 is reasonable for insurance too, ive paid as much as 1100 for full coverage on a new bike, and as little as 400 for pl/pd/3rd party

interlude
06-18-2003, 01:08 AM
I just registered my bike yesterday, only costed $20 bucks to get the plates for it until Dec 2003. it only costs $40 bucks for the whole year. I got my bike registered at Crowfoot Plates.

As for insurance, here is the breakdown:

$265/year with only liability (pl/pd)
$862/year with full coverage

add +$400 something to get theft and fire
add +$600 something to get theft, fire and vandalism

BlaCkPlaGUE
06-18-2003, 05:21 PM
Cool, what insurance company did you go through? Did you do the insurance and registration at crowfoot plates?

interlude
06-18-2003, 11:18 PM
Talk to Lorna at Clay-Robinson Insurance. I hope your over 23, they turned my friend down because he wasnt 23 and over. I know it sounds weird.. but my friend tried to get insured there and was turned down. Tell her Alfred sent you.

BlaCkPlaGUE
06-19-2003, 11:56 AM
I dont see how they can turn you down for insurance if your under 23, I mean if anything all that would happen is your rate would be higher. But than again if this is a private insurance company, then I can understand.