PDA

View Full Version : CarFax vs Carproof

neely
06-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Whats the diff between them? Looks to me like they both provide the same services however you cant get the unlimited searches on carproof.

JT3HN86R2X0198734

curious to see what this bad boy brings up
email or pm
[email protected]

alpha
06-07-2007, 06:39 PM
as far as I understand carproof has the option of getting ICBC claims information, and is aparently much better for searching canadian vehicles. recently I was about to buy a car that had supposedly had a carfax report done on it that was clean. but when I ran a carproof report it detailed that the car had been in a collision with a payout of over 21grand.
good thing I did a carproof report!
the next search I do will def be with carproof for sure.

neely
06-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by alpha
recently I was about to buy a car that had supposedly had a carfax report done on it that was clean. but when I ran a carproof report it detailed that the car had been in a collision with a payout of over 21grand.

so you did do the carfax yourself or took someones word on it? The carfax site says it has access to insurace companies records and dmv 's from all over north america- which is why i didnt get why carproof was a HELL of a lot more money for 1 time use.

gaijin
06-08-2007, 08:57 AM
I got shafted with carfax once. Rebuilt status. Didn't show up in carfax, was suspiciously smudged out on the guy's registration card, and I didn't run any other checks.

So I went through carfax's guarantee thing, and they actually bought the car back. Took a bit to sort out the exchange issue (they originally paid me out in American at rate A, but by the time it reached me, it was only worth rate B, which was a fair bit less than I had paid, but when I mentioned it, they sent another check to cover the difference), but all in all, it was a fairly painless process. I was pleasantly surprised.

I'd say run carfax as a basic sanity check, but if you seriously think you're going to buy a car, do a check through the Registry or some other method, just to be sure. Carfax is great for unlimited, but when it comes down to it, you want to double check with a different source.

Lo Pro
06-08-2007, 09:11 AM
what about carfax for american vehicles? one of my buddies is picking up a new ride from Cali, and he just ran carfax?

The Cosworth
06-08-2007, 09:12 AM
dont post vins!

Mitsu3000gt
06-08-2007, 09:37 AM
On 3 seperate cars, I used carfax AND carproof. On all 3 cars, carfax said they were perfect, and on all 3 carproofs I learned each car had been in one or more accidents, one having more than $13,000 of front end repairs done to it. Saved me from buying a POS more than once, I'll never use anything else. It's specifically for Canadan cars.

me&you
06-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
On 3 seperate cars, I used carfax AND carproof. On all 3 cars, carfax said they were perfect, and on all 3 carproofs I learned each car had been in one or more accidents, one having more than $13,000 of front end repairs done to it. Saved me from buying a POS more than once, I'll never use anything else. It's specifically for Canadan cars.

Exactly!

Don't bother Carfaxing a Canadian car... they miss more than they get.

9/10, Carproof is better on US cars as well.

TomcoPDR
09-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Adding my current expereience (Sept, 2007)

Looking for a (new to me) used work truck... narrowed down to one over the internet, got the VIN.

Got the Carfax (garbage) done by free offer by someone that got the unlimited... came up nothing.

Spent the money on credit car and purchased the $44.95 (everything except for ICBC since owner said it's Alberta truck all it's life)... and came up with a LIEN, and an accident worth $9,000 two years ago.

For sure Carfax :thumbsdow and CarPROOF :thumbsup:

Also, I got a friend to do an Alberta VIR (Vehicle Information Report) for me as I'm not working in Alberta at the time... came up with the same thing as carPROOF (lien)

If you're spending a decent amount of money on a vehicle (that's not a "beater")... do NOT cheap out. (I spent $45 CarPROOF and $30 Alberta VIR =$75 and ended up not getting the vehicle... way better than $$$$$$$$ worth of pain and embrassment of buying a lemon; IMO)

Wraith
09-24-2007, 10:07 PM
I had a Carproof, Carfax AND the Alberta registry check thing done when I bought my car. I still have the two documents (carproof and carfax) so I'll make them into images and post them up so you can compare the two :thumbsup:

In my case, they each presented information that the other didn't have. The best thing you can do is probably pay for a Carproof and get someone with Carfax to do it for you for free.

Oh and for the Alberta VIR, don't be dumb like me and check out a VIN number from a car in another province since they only check in-province registrations :nut:

I'll post them up sometime tomorrow.

edit:

Carfax:
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7598/cfaxaz7.jpg

CarProof:
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1638/cproof2ym2.jpg

hope this helps

steve_canuck
01-17-2010, 07:28 PM
I'd go for carproof. Here is my story:

We checked out a Civic today and we were pretty sure it had been in an accident- we just weren't sure of the severity and overall the car still looked great.

My wife did a search on Carfax and it showed no accident records - just ownership transfer and renewals with mileage reports.

We did the same search on Carproof and it showed an accident claim for over $14K. Needless to say, we didn't buy the vehicle.

Carfax might be fine in the US, but in Canada it seems to lack information. If you do a search, you will find some media reports (CTV and CBC) which show that Carproof works better in Canada than Carfax.

Cheers,
Steve

shakalaka
02-01-2010, 05:58 PM
I know this is an old thread. But is the position still better for Carproof being better than Carfax?

JustinGTP
02-01-2010, 06:01 PM
I feel that Carproof is better for cars in Canada.

Redlyne_mr2
02-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I know this is an old thread. But is the position still better for Carproof being better than Carfax?
Yes, every dealer in Canada uses Carproof, no one here uses Carfax.

JustinGTP
02-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Yes, every dealer in Canada uses Carproof, no one here uses Carfax.

How can you make that claim? Brasso Nissan has Carfaxes for all of their used cars....

shakalaka
02-01-2010, 06:39 PM
I just ran a carproof on the car I am looking to buy. Don't know if I am gonna do the same with carfax yet or not. The car seems mostly clean with few accident records that seem kinda normal anyway. If someone can run me a carfax then I guess we can see if they are much different or what.

Redlyne_mr2
02-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by JustinGTP

How can you make that claim? Brasso Nissan has Carfaxes for all of their used cars....
They're wasting their money then, Carfax has nothing on it for Canadian cars.

Weapon_R
02-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Carfax is not a good source for canadian cars. Carproof is your best option at this point but it's expensive and one-time use.

A2VR6
02-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I personally think carfax/carproof is a good way to weed out and narrow down potential cars since you can get many/unlimited reports. Then when it comes down to a couple cars then I use carproof.

Mibz
02-01-2010, 11:09 PM
My Jeep had a clean CarFax but a miscellaneous repair for $400 from 2002 on the CarProof. It's little things like that which make me like CarProof more.

lison
02-02-2010, 01:13 AM
So which package of CarProof is the best deal?
Verified BC, Verified or Claims?

shakalaka
02-02-2010, 01:45 AM
I did the middle one...the $50 one.

A3GTiVR6SC
02-02-2010, 01:45 AM
My experience... CarFax is BULLSHIT!! don't trust it!

Learnt the hard way... I bought 98 e38 bimmer with supposedly 165k on the odometer according to Carfax. Later on i found out about CarPROOF an decided to check... To my surprise, the ELECTRONIC odometer had been somehow rolled back from 360K by the previous owner.

:banghead: :thumbsdow

A2VR6
02-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by lison
So which package of CarProof is the best deal?
Verified BC, Verified or Claims?

I usually go for verified unless I know the car has been registered in BC. I used a carproof for the s2k and a itr I was intrested in and the itr was a BC car (used the BC verified) and the itr came up with 10500 worth of damage under it's 2nd year of ownership

No_Cash
02-02-2010, 07:17 PM
I too think Carfax sucks ass... and here is why. When I sold my last car I was going to do a carfax on it, I knew the history so I wasn't going to try and hide anything. Carfax came up with nothing, the car had about 1000 in vandalism and a small accident. About a week later I went to go print it off and it suddenly came up as a write off, from the vandalism claim no less, that happend 7 years prior. I contacted Carfax about it and they basically said sorry about your luck.

I Carproofed it after that and they had both issues, with proper amounts.

shakalaka
02-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Ok so now I am looking at a car that is originally from the States but was brought to Canada in 2005 and has been registered in Alberta since then. What do you guys think is better to do on this? Carfax or Carproof?

A2VR6
02-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Ok so now I am looking at a car that is originally from the States but was brought to Canada in 2005 and has been registered in Alberta since then. What do you guys think is better to do on this? Carfax or Carproof?

Run a autocheck using this link and replacing the vin with the vehicle your intrested in:

http://www.evergreenford.com/autocheck.php?vin=JM1EC4346S0409013

This should let you know any potential problems that the car had in the states. Follow that up with a Verified Carproof report to cover anything that happened when the car was imported to Canada.

Although, I must say from past experience that Carproof was able to pick up collision/damage estimates from the US when Autocheck and Carfax never showed a thing.