PDA

View Full Version : supplements

Wren'sToy
06-07-2007, 10:57 PM
any good suggestions for supplements for muscle building and fat burners (besides creatin?).

GTS Jeff
06-08-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm having a protein shake right now. :dunno: That'll help with the muscle building (after a hard workout) but for fat burning...just get your ass to the treadmill and run til you're "that fat guy who's arms are flailing everywhere and shirt is soaked in sweat and looks like he's another 4 steps from collapsing."

pinoyhero
06-08-2007, 05:37 AM
Red Meat, can't beat it .. but there's creatine in there

bulaian
06-08-2007, 08:54 AM
creatine's not really a fat burner per se but i guess it does help you stay lean by adding muscle mass... anyways if you're a beginner to supplements, the first thing you're going to want to get is a protein powder

88CRXGUY
06-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
I'm having a protein shake right now. :dunno: That'll help with the muscle building (after a hard workout) but for fat burning...just get your ass to the treadmill and run til you're "that fat guy who's arms are flailing everywhere and shirt is soaked in sweat and looks like he's another 4 steps from collapsing."

^^Here is the motivator to get your ass into the gym eh lol.

PINOY-X
06-08-2007, 09:34 AM
creatine(powdered) doesnt actually create muscle ... all it does is add water to ur muscles dats why u can get big pretty quick with em .. soon as u stop working out and stuff u deflate

KRyn
06-08-2007, 09:36 AM
These threads always make me laugh and they get even better when NATAS.KAUPAS gets involved.

creatine's not really a fat burner per se but i guess it does help you stay lean by adding muscle mass

Haha, you are an idiot good sir. I think it's safe to say that 95% of everything people say about weight training is bogus. There are very few people who give good advice.

If you want to lose weight eat properly and do lots of cardio. By the sounds of it you are a newb to weight training. So investing in expensive pills and powders at this point is not worth it. If you are going to buy anything pick up some Gator-Aid powder and whey isolate, mix these two together after a work out and enjoy. Really your focus should be on putting together a good routine and eating correctly. Get all your newb gains out of the way and in a year or so if you are still serious about weight training then I would start buying all the fancy powders and pills. Just my $.02 good luck with whatever you decide to do.

BrknFngrs
06-08-2007, 09:37 AM
protein for sure and ive had good results off NO-Explode, gives me tonnes of energy to push out the last few reps of exercises.

dharminder
06-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Kryn is right, if your starting out, just work out hard, and eat. Dont worry about taking anything.

eur0
06-08-2007, 12:04 PM
For now just read up on the effects of protein and start with a tub of that (based on the idea that you have been going to the gym for more than a few months). It contains amino acids, which are the basic building blocks of muscle.

Obviously not only that but the keys are a good focused, consistent workout and proper nutrition. Your body needs a good amount of protein and carbohydrates for rebuilding muscle (as well as good fats, vitamins, minerals, etc.).

bulaian
06-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
These threads always make me laugh and they get even better when NATAS.KAUPAS gets involved.

Haha, you are an idiot good sir. I think it's safe to say that 95% of everything people say about weight training is bogus. There are very few people who give good advice.

As per my post, it was assumed that the supplements would be in conjunction with weight training and diet program but whatever, if name calling is what it takes to make you feel good about yourself

KRyn
06-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Eh... :dunno:

SneakyNeek
06-08-2007, 05:54 PM
No-XPLODE

mdeluxe
06-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Yes if your starting out just try and eat decent and hit the gym no less then 4 times a week.

But if you want to try some supplements out:

Protien (proabably high carb), NO-Explode. also Ntiro T3's are pretty good for weight gaining

You really cant do both (burn fat and gain muscle) Or actually its hard to build muscle and burn fat, usually its one or the other. If you can manage it good stuff. But, you might want to look at building muscle (probably in winter) and then jump on some fat burner in the spring and summer time

Mike w
06-15-2007, 06:34 PM
eat one meal a day and take steroids. simple solution:devil:

Darkane
06-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by mdeluxe
Yes if your starting out just try and eat decent and hit the gym no less then 4 times a week.

But if you want to try some supplements out:

Protien (proabably high carb), NO-Explode. also Ntiro T3's are pretty good for weight gaining

You really cant do both (burn fat and gain muscle) Or actually its hard to build muscle and burn fat, usually its one or the other. If you can manage it good stuff. But, you might want to look at building muscle (probably in winter) and then jump on some fat burner in the spring and summer time

Wow.. yes you can build muscle and loose fat. Its called Body recomposition. Its not hard at all, you have to be disciplined.

Also The advice of workingout at least 4 times a week is insane. Start working out 2-3 days a week with moderate volume and increase Frequency/Volume as YOUR body permits. If you are not recovering fully you're not making gains, or negligable ones at that.

Get a good multivitamin pack, I use Beverly mineral Pack, it works great. Whey protein from trueprotien.com is good and cheap, and make sure you get your post workout nutrition in. As said previously Whey and gatorade powder is great for newbs. Throw some raw oats in the shake for some low GI slow carbs and your set for an hour until you eat again.

Read up a lot. Don't go to BB.com, its horse shit.
Go to www.T-nation.com and read articles till you puke.

dimi
06-18-2007, 03:31 AM
Sorry for the off topic, but what do you guys mix protein shakes with. Every time I make one with milk it starts fucking with my stomach. Gatorade?

Darkane
06-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by dimi
Sorry for the off topic, but what do you guys mix protein shakes with. Every time I make one with milk it starts fucking with my stomach. Gatorade?

yeah water, or gatorade power/drink. I sometimes throw a couple raw eggs in mine too. :thumbsup:

KRyn
06-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Always use gatoraide POWDER never the pre mixed stuff.

TVG
06-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Read up a lot. Don't go to BB.com, its horse shit.
Go to www.T-nation.com and read articles till you puke.

Yup. T-nation is the place to be.

kerry
06-18-2007, 10:34 AM
If you really really want to gain some quick opinions on supplements, hit GNC in Market Mall.
Go see OJ. He's a great dude and will walk you through what you should be doing based on your
needs/wants.

Super cool guy.

GTS Jeff
06-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Sorry for the off topic, but what do you guys mix protein shakes with. Every time I make one with milk it starts fucking with my stomach. Gatorade? Yeah, it does the same for me, but I'm lactose intolerant. Maybe you are too?

I use soy milk and a handful of frozen fruit. The soy milk has extra protein, and some vanilla flavouring to make it taste better. I add the frozen fruit cuz I don't get much fruit otherwise, plus it gives the shake the consistency of ice cream. You can get a massive bag of that mixed fruit shit from Costco for $10.

snowboard
06-18-2007, 05:58 PM
i dunno about no explodddde.....
ive been using it, stopped for like a week and almost felt more jacked up when i was just on adrenaline haha...

anyone know any good no-flavour protien that will mix with water?
i fuckin hate every single flavor? something like allmax glutamine??

wintonyk
06-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Haha protein powders crack me up. Any asshole who reads a muscle mag gets plastered with protein protein protein and don't eat fat its bad especially egg whites.

If you take the time to research say for example the Position Statement towards athletes put forth by CDA and ADA you will realize that you really don't need extra protein. The average person requires .8 g/kg bw. Thats far less then the 200g recomended by Supplement company A. And you were a SERIOUS body builder your requirement doubles to 1.4-1.7g/kg. Even still that won't bring the average guy up to that 200 mark.

If you are just getting started into weight training or just trying to lose weight. Half an hour of cardio 3 or 4 times of week should be good. Remaining at an intensity that keeps HR above 120 but below 180 of course depending on your age.
Also you don't need supplement until you maximize your genetic potential. Ie supplements a waste of money for the Joe who works out to get in shape.

Creatine works... just not for everyone. Only about 70% of people it will actually build muscle. Powder pill or liquid they all work the same. And if done properly you won't just drop the weight and muscle mass you put on.

This is what I have learned through textbook and seminars related to Sports nutrtion and Personal training.

Darkane
06-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk
Haha protein powders crack me up. Any asshole who reads a muscle mag gets plastered with protein protein protein and don't eat fat its bad especially egg whites.

If you take the time to research say for example the Position Statement towards athletes put forth by CDA and ADA you will realize that you really don't need extra protein. The average person requires .8 g/kg bw. Thats far less then the 200g recomended by Supplement company A. And you were a SERIOUS body builder your requirement doubles to 1.4-1.7g/kg. Even still that won't bring the average guy up to that 200 mark.

If you are just getting started into weight training or just trying to lose weight. Half an hour of cardio 3 or 4 times of week should be good. Remaining at an intensity that keeps HR above 120 but below 180 of course depending on your age.
Also you don't need supplement until you maximize your genetic potential. Ie supplements a waste of money for the Joe who works out to get in shape.

Creatine works... just not for everyone. Only about 70% of people it will actually build muscle. Powder pill or liquid they all work the same. And if done properly you won't just drop the weight and muscle mass you put on.

This is what I have learned through textbook and seminars related to Sports nutrtion and Personal training.

LOL wow.... Do you even workout?

Darkane
06-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by snowboard
i dunno about no explodddde.....
ive been using it, stopped for like a week and almost felt more jacked up when i was just on adrenaline haha...

anyone know any good no-flavour protien that will mix with water?
i fuckin hate every single flavor? something like allmax glutamine??

Trueprotein.com grab the flavourless iso whey. It tastes like nothing pretty much. Mixes awesome with water.

wintonyk
06-19-2007, 08:10 PM

LOL wow.... Do you even workout?

Haha yes... I am a certified trainer and have been for about a year and a half. Also I am entering 3rd year into dietetics and just finished a case study on protein requirements for athletes.

If you want I can send/email the Position Statement for ADA and CDA

Darkane
06-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk

Haha yes... I am a certified trainer and have been for about a year and a half. Also I am entering 3rd year into dietetics and just finished a case study on protein requirements for athletes.

If you want I can send/email the Position Statement for ADA and CDA

No Believing you is not my problem. My problem is people always have to have scientific proof from someone in a white lab coat rather than real world. Have you ever tried increasing your protein intake to see what it does?

Do this just to try... What could It hurt? Take 1.5-2g of protein per POUND of bodyweight and tell me if you have no gains, more gains or less. Just try it for a month or 2?

Have you ever come across Information about anti-catabolism using BCAA protein?

EDIT: I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just wondering if you've heard anything about BCAA's yet.

wintonyk
06-19-2007, 09:05 PM

No Believing you is not my problem. My problem is people always have to have scientific proof from someone in a white lab coat rather than real world. Have you ever tried increasing your protein intake to see what it does?

Do this just to try... What could It hurt? Take 1.5-2g of protein per POUND of bodyweight and tell me if you have no gains, more gains or less. Just try it for a month or 2?

EDIT: I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just wondering if you've heard anything about BCAA's yet.

No worries... I have been flipping around with my protein intake for years for reasons other then just resistance training performance. I started out at 140lbs about a year and half ago and consumed about that amount in g of protein. Worked fine. Then I doubled my protein intake to about 250-300g and results came but not in a noticeable fashion. Albeit this was done through diet not supplements. Which is where BCAA's come into play. About 70-80% of protein intake comes from meat fish or poultry sources which contain the amino acids needed. A year just over a year later I bulked up to 180 and have continued to vary protein intake month by month to find an optimum for me. And I am sitting about 2.2 g/kg. But depending on the persons experience they should wait until they maximize or hit a ceiling before going crazy with changes in protein or supplements.

Kinda what I am saying for supplementation in regards to protein is... take what you read in the mags with a grain of salt. If possible consume the protein amount through diet rather then supplementation.

As for creatine... I just finished my first cycle with it about 2 weeks ago. I immediately gained about 9 or 10 lbs. I noticed growth in size and an increase in achievable reps. The weight and size starts as water but if done properly the weight can be maintained when the water is gone after stopping. I haven't touched creatine for 2 weeks and have actually gained about a pound or 2. This working out 4 days a week and landscaping 5.

kerry
06-25-2007, 12:08 AM
If you want to talk to someone in a shop (GNC etc) I'd actually hit up Popeye's on Crowchild. OJ isn't at GNC anymore so your next best bet would be Matt at Popeye's... on Crowchild.... I said that twice.

He's a good dude and I've known him for a while. Really smart. :thumbsup:

mdeluxe
06-25-2007, 10:54 AM

exactly! :werd:

KRyn
06-25-2007, 11:05 AM
I bulked up to 180

You think 180 is bulking? Fuck you make me laugh roach. You are probally still 140lbs soaking wet.
Anyone can become a personal trainer it's not difficult. Being a good one is another story.

mdeluxe
06-25-2007, 11:34 AM
right, bulking up is at least over 200

GTS Jeff
06-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

You think 180 is bulking? Fuck you make me laugh roach. You are probally still 140lbs soaking wet.
Anyone can become a personal trainer it's not difficult. Being a good one is another story. Welcome back NATAS...

KRyn
06-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Nope not NATAS although that guy was comical, always good for a laugh.

dimi
07-14-2007, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Yeah, it does the same for me, but I'm lactose intolerant. Maybe you are too?

I use soy milk and a handful of frozen fruit. The soy milk has extra protein, and some vanilla flavouring to make it taste better. I add the frozen fruit cuz I don't get much fruit otherwise, plus it gives the shake the consistency of ice cream. You can get a massive bag of that mixed fruit shit from Costco for $10.

Soy Good + Vanilla flavored protein actually tastes good, and no more stomach issues. Awesome thanks man.

GTS Jeff
07-14-2007, 05:25 PM

Soy Good + Vanilla flavored protein actually tastes good, and no more stomach issues. Awesome thanks man. Haha welcome to the world of lactose intolerance. You can no longer have cheese, creams, milk products, or anything of the sort without farting everywhere.

Hakkola
07-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by mdeluxe
right, bulking up is at least over 200

Yeah, because height and body type has nothing to do with it. :rolleyes: