PDA

View Full Version : dont laugh... scooter!

method
06-16-2003, 03:42 PM
whilst the rest of you have badass big fast bikes and whatnot, I have this. heh... it's pretty fun though, and it's cheap. :rolleyes:

scooter and the proto-gay

method
06-16-2003, 03:43 PM
dime sized exhaust... wowie

method
06-16-2003, 03:44 PM
ooo big disc up front...

I have things on the way for it... exhaust, variator and clutch springs at first... after I get a 21mm carb and 70cc cylinder, it should be able to do around 110km... heh

I have an old 73 ts250 as well, but I'm the process of rebuilding it.

kevie88
06-16-2003, 04:10 PM
That thing kicks ass.. I love scooters. My friend Mark E at Blackfoot had one that would almost hit 100KPH.. damn fun!

redec
06-16-2003, 04:29 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seanith
06-16-2003, 04:52 PM
are you still going to nitrous it? lol

dogstar
06-16-2003, 05:50 PM
lol, do it, put "NOSS" on there... just dont hit it at anything under 40kph, and dont expect it to survive more than a bottle or two :S

scooters are cheap and semi fun, but once you buy a real bike, youll laugh at the fact you ever thought scooters were fun.

method
06-16-2003, 06:01 PM
yeah I'm pretty sure once I get an actual bike I'll be giving the scooter to my cousin or something. I'm only 18 though, and I havent been working at all, so I dont have the moneys! my uncle gave me his old ts250 for free, but it didnt run, so hopefully I can get it going before the riding season is over. I still have to schedule some time to go take my test too...

kevie88
06-16-2003, 06:01 PM
I have a real bike, and I STILL think scooters kick ass.. Get 5 or six together and you've got a race!

ecstasy_civic
06-17-2003, 12:57 AM
i love scooters, where did you get it?

method
06-17-2003, 01:39 AM
bow cycle... they actually had quite a few down there.
I wanna go down to that revoluzione place when they get their scooters in to see what they have.

benyl
06-17-2003, 09:26 AM
I finally got myself a new battery... there is nothing like riding a bike again... Cool Scooter. It is really too bad that scooters aren't as popular here like the rest of the world. They have some super cool stuff in Europe.

BlaCkPlaGUE
06-17-2003, 02:14 PM
I saw one of those the other day. Some guy who must have weighed about 300 pounds was riding it on 36th and 40th ave N.E.
he had a skull cap helmet and the bike was barely pullen him. Looked just like that bike, except he had a different muffler on his, and damn was it loud. Sounded just like a full throttle weed wacker!
They're kind of neat, and probably wicked on fuel, I wouldn't mind trying one out.

FiveFreshFish
06-17-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by method
whilst the rest of you have badass big fast bikes and whatnot, I have this. heh... it's pretty fun though, and it's cheap. :rolleyes:

scooter and the proto-gay

Your scooter is WAY nicer than most of the ones in Taiwan!

method
06-17-2003, 11:03 PM
haha! scooter heaven!

dogstar
06-18-2003, 10:49 AM
i want one of those TMAXs

http://www.tmax500.com/
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcyam/01tmax.html

these look sick, and have about 40 horses and about 433 pounds, so theyre just as fast as your average 500cc beginner bike.

so basically, yes, you can ride them on the highway and not die.

BlaCkPlaGUE
06-20-2003, 01:31 PM
That is pretty sick. A 500cc scooter. Would like to see more pictures tho, the yamaha website covers up most of theirs with their bullshit flash technology shit.

method
06-20-2003, 04:42 PM
a lot of companies have 'maxi-scooters'

500cc+ for the most part

ecstasy_civic
06-21-2003, 01:52 PM
how much are they?
generally?

szw
06-22-2003, 02:10 AM
Does a scooter require licence plate? special drivers licence? insurance?

Looks like fun!

I hope to rent a motorbike like fivefreshfish posted when I go back to Malaysia. Hopefully I don't get crushed between some crazy drivers.

method
06-22-2003, 01:50 PM
only need a class 7 license (learners)
need plates and insurance
insurance is $65 bucks a year haha... and gas is like 2 dollars a week.

more beer money!

ecstasy_civic
06-22-2003, 02:16 PM
damn i want one.
i guess when i move to cochrane ill get one. way cheaper and i can keep up with the traffic there lol

EstoMax
06-22-2003, 10:58 PM
damn nice, cheap insurance and gas too!
scooters arent highway legal though right? so its only for short local trips..
how fast does the gearing on the scooter allow you to theoretically go?

max

method
06-23-2003, 05:57 PM
changing the variator and whatnot allow a higher top speed, but I'm not sure what the theoretical stock top speed is. I can get it to about 70 on a flat, and 90 down a hill, but when I change my parts I should be able to do over 90 on flats easy (plus it'll be a wheelie machine :P )

spiceboy
06-29-2003, 11:29 PM
I am looking for a scooter too.
Could you guys tell me
1) what brand of scooter is good (reliability, performance)
2) how much does one cost?
3) where in town can I find brand new scooters (other than Bow Cycle which Method mentioned about)

Thanks

method
07-01-2003, 01:47 PM
blackfoot sells a few, I think that revoluzione place does, there's probably a few others if you pulled out the phone book.

prices are like 2300 up to 4000+

all the honda scooters are 4 strokes, so they're a little easier to maintain, the yamahas are 2 stroke mineralli engines, so they have more performance potential...

other bikes are aprilias, and derbis, which are way more expensive because they're european scooters, but they're way sweeter (I just couldnt drop 4 grand on a damn scooter)

Johnny@CustomAuto
07-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Scooters are so fun! I have a real bike too, and like to ride scooters once in a while.

K271
07-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Scooters are so much fun!! I rented those things in Spain last year to get around the town. Everyone in Europe rides them. In Spain, we would drive between the cars, on the side walks, opposite way of the street. No real traffic laws there! So much fun.

Ducati
01-31-2004, 02:54 AM
"only need a class 7 license (learners)
need plates and insurance
insurance is $65 bucks a year haha... and gas is like 2 dollars a week.

more beer money!"

Sorry to drag up an old post, but being that Method has finally acquired his go-goodies, and I am seriously considering a scooter, (I would never in my life, 10 years ago when I rode a fat HD FLH around Winnipeg, ever dreamed that I would ever actually be coveting a...scooter)

Being a Ducati rider, I like the esoterica of European rides like the Derbi and Aprilia, however your point about this being a fun to cash savings measure probably makes the Euroskoot an unsound economic choice...maybe.

I await the details of your hop up, Method.

Tell me about the drill of owning, maintaining and riding the 2 stroke BW. Is it oil injection via a separate reservoir?

I am planning a restoration of two old sixties vintage 2 strokes, and have absolutely nothing against fizzies.
Point well taken about them being quicker and more fun to ride.

method
01-31-2004, 04:27 PM
yeah it's oil injected with a separate reservoir, when I switch to 70cc I have to run fully synthetic (I'm not at the moment).

I've had the thing for one riding season, and I've had no maintenance on it yet, just little bits like checking the plug read and stuff.

If I had the money, I would have been going after an aprilia SR50 ditech or a derbi predator... but at that price, I'm going straight to a restored Lambretta when I can afford it (just have to get off my lazy ass and get my class 6)

I'll have the parts on soon, and let it run with throttle variation for the break-in, but I'll still have to wait till it warms up to actually test it out.

Ducati
02-01-2004, 03:00 AM
Keep us informed. What will it cost for a shop to do it? If you tear it down yourself, what was involved, and what specialized tools were needed?. What real-world imprevements were felt?

It sounds odd that you have to use synth right from the get-go after a rebuild. I have always used dinosaur juice after a new set of rings, just so they seat better, then switch to synth or semi-synth after 10K.

A nice restored sixties vintage P200 Vespa would be in my garage if I had my way. Preferrably, silver & white like the one in Quadrophenia.

2literv8eater
02-11-2004, 05:52 PM
here in michigan i have the fastest honda elite
50cc soon moving to 85cc it will do 80mph with ease right now i have an upgraded exaust (technis rs) koso speed pulley and racing coil right now i get close to 1 mph per cc also have neon underbody strobes alarm system heat tach when i build it the rest of the way it should burn most civics (stock) off the line and down the road a little ways
and also you can get some mopeds to reach 100+mph :eek:

2literv8eater
02-11-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by spiceboy
I am looking for a scooter too.
Could you guys tell me
1) what brand of scooter is good (reliability, performance)
2) how much does one cost?
3) where in town can I find brand new scooters (other than Bow Cycle which Method mentioned about)

Thanks

1990-1999 honda elite

used 100-1000 usd
new 1500-2000 usd
honda elite in my oppinon is the best scooter stock it will do 35mph (when you remove the pully limiter) reacts very nicely to performace mods

87gmc4x4
02-19-2004, 05:19 PM
I'd buy a scooter, just for fun and put nos stickers all over it and it would trip people out

t3rry
02-19-2004, 05:30 PM
There are two levels of motorcycle/moped licenses in Alberta:

Class 7 License (Learner's)

Class 7 license holders are permitted to drive a motorcycle or a moped and all motor vehicles under Alberta's License Class 5, for learning purposes only. Class 5 is the two axle single non-commercial, non-motorcycle motor vehicle class. The minimum learning or licensing age for motorcyclists is 16. The minimum age for moped riders is 14.

Requirements for a Class 7 license include successfully completing a written test and vision screening.

Class 6 License (Full Priviledges)

Class 6 license holders are permitted to drive a moped, a motorcycle or any motor vehicle referred to in the Class 5 category, as a learner only, if the operator is at least 16 years of age. The minimum licensing age is 14 for moped riders and 16 for motorcycle riders.

Requirements for a Class 6 license are successful completion of a written and a road test. The road test must be taken on a motorcycle without sidecar.

Roaring G60
02-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Ducati
It sounds odd that you have to use synth right from the get-go after a rebuild. I have always used dinosaur juice after a new set of rings, just so they seat better, then switch to synth or semi-synth after 10K.

With todays nikasil cylinders/coated rings and piston skirts synthetic is what is used to break in. with old steal sleeve's no question crushed dino is the way to go, however the evolution in technology brings ease of use a step foward. the absolute best oil to use is motul Grand Prix 2T.

missblondie
02-19-2004, 09:21 PM
that thing is so cool, i think it would be a lot of fun!

cappachihngo
02-20-2004, 12:32 AM
ya bring it onto the Deerfoot, lmao.... just watch out for all vechicles of any size, shape or form.... hmm thinking of it dat might be kinda fun, but only when its like 2 in the morning when not even the ghosts are around:rofl:

Neons4life
02-20-2004, 05:41 PM
my thought would be just get a pocket bike. Or if you need something street legal then get a REAL bike that's worth the same price.

pinoyhero
02-20-2004, 05:52 PM
Hey its not that bid, it looks like hella fun and you wouldn't end up dead in 2 months like on a ricerocket

SwitchBlade
02-20-2004, 10:44 PM
You better ride that with a cape and call that ashley girl :thumbsup:

method
02-21-2004, 01:46 AM
its got two seats :poosie:

:D

ApexDrift
02-28-2004, 07:11 PM
lets say i was gunna drive that to school at sait... now where would i park?....

method
02-28-2004, 08:33 PM
I've heard of people parking them next to bike racks and not having a problem... when I went to manning I could be the last person to park and I'd still get the closest spot just by parking next to a streetlamp. :clap:

hockeybronx
02-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Uh yeah nice man.

Remember they aren't laughing at you they are laughing with you.
:D :D :D :D :D

Where does your girlfriend sit?

Ducati
02-29-2004, 01:56 AM
Each to their own, Neons4life.

Someone has to ride scooters. Besides, they are a blast and get 80 to 100 mpg. Great for getting to work downtown. You can park them on the sidewalk. Then, ride your Real Bike in the evening when you aren't overheating the thing in stop & go traffic.

Someone has to drive Neons....

SL69R
03-12-2004, 01:09 PM
@ Method

That's a bizarre scooter man ! Your BW's looks completely different as the BW's here in Belgium ! :werd:

SL69R
03-12-2004, 01:10 PM
European BW's

ApexDrift
03-12-2004, 01:26 PM
^:bigpimp:

well theres a hugh difference with lots of motor vehicles between canada and europe!

Ducati
03-14-2004, 12:20 AM
As I am seriously looking at cheap to operate, fun to ride and easy to park transportation from my home in Richmond to downtown Vancouver, about 20 traffic-clogged km's, a scooter is the obvious choice.

I am weighing the pro's and cons of a 2 stroke, like the BW, and a 4 stroke like a Honda Ruckus. There is one fairly fast stretch of road over the Oak Street Bridge, otherwise it is all typical morning rush hour.
What type of two stroke oil does one use with the BW? How much goes into the reservoir and how long does it last? What is the cost of this two stroke oil?

Would the Ruckus just be too gutless to be any use whatsoever?

Also, I hear that by next year we will be able to buy brand new Piaggio Vespas, and that Aprillia scooters will also be available.

method
03-14-2004, 02:20 AM
two stroke oil is pretty damn cheap if you use generic stuff, and the reservoir lasts a loooong time. I thought it would be like every 2 tanks or something, but it's a looot more than that.. I just top it up every now and then.

vtec96
03-17-2004, 11:24 PM
can you seat two people on it ?? legal on the street ??:dunno:

method
03-18-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Ducati

Also, I hear that by next year we will be able to buy brand new Piaggio Vespas, and that Aprillia scooters will also be available.

aprilias are already in calgary... check out http://www.revoluzione.com

sr50 ditech :drool: