PDA

View Full Version : ITR burning above average oil?

The Raptor
07-25-2002, 12:24 AM
I know there aren't a lot of ITR owners on the board , but...have any of you with a VTEC honda/acura noticed that your engine oil levels seems to drop faster then normal (im talking like you need to refill your oil about 3L refill at about 2500KM after an oil change?). I've noticed that about 4 times since I've own my car... cuz when I had my Civic Si coupe I drove it hard but I never had to refill my oil THAT often. I talked to Mr. LudeLvr and he says it has something to do with the VTEC engagement and that VTEC depends a lot on oil pressure which is true because when the oil is low in the car... when I hit VTEC power is intermittent....weird.. any one with some intelligent thoughts please explain!! Redline where are you?? :D

RiceCake
07-25-2002, 12:26 AM
Hmmm... I heard that the ITRs were supposed to burn a bit of oil, due to the high compression and high revving VTEC nature of the car. :dunno:

E36M3
07-25-2002, 12:50 AM
I don't think it is anything to worry about. High compression engines are known to eat a little oil. For a definitive answer, call up the service manager at Silverhill and see what he has to say.

What kind of oil are you running? Normal/Synthetic and weight?

B18C
07-25-2002, 01:02 AM
You know what, I have NEVER had a problem with burning oil. I have never had to top up my oil or anything. I check my oil level every time I get gas and it is always full. The only time my car sees new oil is during an oil change.

legendboy
07-25-2002, 08:22 AM
ITR's use oil, I think its in the owners manual :)

James
07-25-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by B18C
You know what, I have NEVER had a problem with burning oil. I have never had to top up my oil or anything. I check my oil level every time I get gas and it is always full. The only time my car sees new oil is during an oil change.

That because you RARELY ever actually DRIVE your car!:nut: the only time It would actually burn more oil than normal is when Gavin drives it! he has to drive it so hard to make up for how much you baby it!:D :rolleyes:

Evan
07-25-2002, 08:44 AM

Maybe your oil gauge is broken? :rofl:

5.9 R/T
07-25-2002, 09:30 AM
I don't know anything specific about your ITR motor but here is a generic explination and possible answer. First off did you check for leaks? After you have been parked over night is there any oil on the ground as you drive away? If it's not leaking then here are the two possible problems. Oil can only get into the engine 2 ways. Through the valve guides (intake side mostly) and by the rings. Every engine burns oil for the simple reason that oil is used to seal the rings against the cylinder wall. Obviously the oil that is along the cylinder wall is going to get burned during the combustion process so this little bit of oil can add up over time. If the rings are excessively worn then more oil is burned because more oil can get past them and into the chamber. Excessive consumption is of the order of 1 quart for every 1000 miles, or ~1 liter for every ~1600K. If your using 3L for every 2500K it sounds like you may have a problem. I would take your car in for a leak down test (better then a compression test) right away and that will tell you if you have bad rings or valve guides.

Redlyne_mr2
07-25-2002, 09:46 AM
raptor I believe I know what the problem is..pm me.

redline
07-25-2002, 10:18 AM
well it can be a number of things when all the experts or done i can tell you what to look at. or just Pm me.

5.9 R/T
07-25-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
raptor I believe I know what the problem is..pm me.

Originally posted by redline
well it can be a number of things when all the experts or done i can tell you what to look at. or just Pm me.

It must be one of those big Honda secrets that they don't want you to know about... lol :dunno:

redline
07-25-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

It must be one of those big Honda secrets that they don't want you to know about... lol :dunno:

you brought up some good points but there is a little more to the answer then what you posted for any modern engine. ( and some of the answer can be a problem with DOHC VTEC engines)

redline
07-25-2002, 01:12 PM
ok i got some time to kill....

First question i have: Do you have any blueish smoke coming out of the tail pipe? (first sign that you are burning oil in the combustion camber)

2) Have you spent alot of time near redline and under high load? (since DOHC VTEC engine have oil squrters (as do turbo and other high reving n/a engines) these engines all tend to use oil with hard use. I have never got, what i feel to be a sastisfactory answer to this but since they ALL do it, it is some what excepted)

3) If you drive the car easy do you still burn oil? ( a good sign that you need to look at other places other then driving habits)

4) Have you replaced the PVC canister on the back of the engine? ( i have seen a lot of these fail on DOHC VTEC engines and is a easy / cheap fix. When this fails it lets oil into the intake track.)

5) If you have done this do you still burn oil? (well?)

6) Now do a compression and leak down test! ( I am not a big fan of these tests cause generally they only tell you if you have a big hole in something. And will not generally tell you that your engine is weakening. There is a lot of variables that effect the results and people rely on these test too much. In a compression test you need consistancy between cyclinders more then anything else.

7) If the numbers are really bad pull the head and have a look! :(

8) if the numbers are good and you still burn oil! Ask yourself is it a big problem? No - then buy cheap oil ! If yes then pull the head!

5.9 R/T
07-25-2002, 02:18 PM
I can see the PVC 'catch can' causing oil loss but 3 liters over 2500K? Thats quite a bit of oil to lose through it, even taking into consideration normal losses. Also clogged PVC's make the motor idle rough if I can remember correctly, and raptor never mentioned that. Like I said before tho I've never owned a type r, or a vtec motor for that matter, so my advice was fairly genaric. However, I don't see anything special about a vtec equiped motor that would, under normal conditions, cause that much oil loss. Raptor said he has had this happen 4 times since he bought the car but he didn't say that it has happened the last 4 times he changed his oil, so maybe it does have something to do with his driving style immediatly following an oil change, since it's not a regular thing. One more question I do have tho is are you accounting for the oil in the filter? Usually they only hold about 250mL or so but you did say that this only happens after an oil change.

redline
07-25-2002, 02:33 PM
i have seen it use that much oil throu the PVC

Voodoo Child
07-25-2002, 04:01 PM
Raptor buddy,
When do you wanna hook up and head down to Secret Street?
I've shaved off a few more pounds so I'm hoping it will help!!

Voodoo Child

The Raptor
07-25-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
I don't think it is anything to worry about. High compression engines are known to eat a little oil. For a definitive answer, call up the service manager at Silverhill and see what he has to say.

What kind of oil are you running? Normal/Synthetic and weight?

I did take it in to Silverhill to check just because I thought I had a leak (which I double and triple checked and I don't :)), and he says that ITR burn a little more than average.. but I just thought that I was burning way more than average.. I'd just about every 2500-3000km I gotta refill her up.. but than again I drive it pretty hard ...haha.. all the time.. but I'd like if someone know to explain the theory behind it tho.. must learn..thanks

redline
07-25-2002, 05:39 PM
honda spec are 1L pre 1000km

what oil are you using?

Go get a a new pvc canister!!!

The Raptor
07-25-2002, 05:40 PM
ok i got some time to kill....

First question i have: Do you have any blueish smoke coming out of the tail pipe? (first sign that you are burning oil in the combustion camber)

Not that I know of.. I can't really tell cuz I'm usually looking ahead for the next apex...LOL.. but seriously I don't think so...

2) Have you spent alot of time near redline and under high load? (since DOHC VTEC engine have oil squrters (as do turbo and other high reving n/a engines) these engines all tend to use oil with hard use. I have never got, what i feel to be a sastisfactory answer to this but since they ALL do it, it is some what excepted)

Uhmm.. lot of time around redline.. uhmm...yea.. most of the time.. like i said... i drive it pretty hard...

3) If you drive the car easy do you still burn oil? ( a good sign that you need to look at other places other then driving habits)

Actually come to think of it no not really, a couple of times I didn't have to actually refill between oil changes.. so i guess it could be my driving style...

4) Have you replaced the PVC canister on the back of the engine? ( i have seen a lot of these fail on DOHC VTEC engines and is a easy / cheap fix. When this fails it lets oil into the intake track.)

Ok dude, I dun even know what a PVC cannister looks like or where it is for that matter.. I could check.. how do i find it and check it?

The Raptor
07-25-2002, 05:41 PM
honda spec are 1L pre 1000km

what oil are you using?

Go get a a new pvc canister!!!

I use Mobil 1 5W-30... suggestions?

The Raptor
07-25-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Voodoo Child
Raptor buddy,
When do you wanna hook up and head down to Secret Street?
I've shaved off a few more pounds so I'm hoping it will help!!

Voodoo Child

Dude man.. your ITR is way too mod'd for me man.. I'm just a stock bitch...LOL... AEM...pffffft... You goin tomorrow nite?

redline
07-25-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by The Raptor

I use Mobil 1 5W-30... suggestions?

10-30 or 10-40 for summer and my car ate mobil one like crazy, i switch to redline oil and it was cut in half.

redline
07-25-2002, 06:03 PM

Ok dude, I dun even know what a PVC cannister looks like or where it is for that matter.. I could check.. how do i find it and check it?

it is a little black box on the back side of the engine, above and to the right of the oil filter. I think a new one is about $50 from the dealer just go buy one and replace it.

redline
07-25-2002, 06:04 PM

take that thing above 3000 rpm once and while and you will see a difference...

legendboy
07-25-2002, 06:44 PM
holy moly, i didn't finish reading raptors first post, 3L in 2500kms is alot......never mind my first post :angel:

SilverStreak
07-25-2002, 07:05 PM
Try driving easy for a while, not in vtec land and see what the consumption rates are. If they are the same, you have a problem. My oil consumption is directionally proportional to vtec instances.

B18C
07-25-2002, 08:05 PM

take that thing above 3000 rpm once and while and you will see a difference...

Shut up! lol

redline
07-25-2002, 08:16 PM

Shut up! lol

:rofl:

come on lets trade cars for friday nite! :burnout: you can drive in style.... :bigpimp: :burnout:

T5_X
07-25-2002, 08:33 PM

10-30 or 10-40 for summer and my car ate mobil one like crazy, i switch to redline oil and it was cut in half.

Wouldn't it burn more with 5-30 cause it's thinner and therefore easier for it to work its way into the combustion chamber?

redline
07-25-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31

Wouldn't it burn more with 5-30 cause it's thinner and therefore easier for it to work its way into the combustion chamber?

that is the threoy

T5_X
07-25-2002, 08:59 PM
also, do you have the a/c up lots lately? eating up more gas means eating up more oil when revved hard. And maybe the fact that the engine bay would be so damn hot, thinning out the oil even more :dunno:

The Raptor
07-26-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
also, do you have the a/c up lots lately? eating up more gas means eating up more oil when revved hard. And maybe the fact that the engine bay would be so damn hot, thinning out the oil even more :dunno:

me use A/C??? you've obviously never driven with me b4 LOL.. I never use A/C (altho i have it) hahaha.. VTEC all the way.. I idle in VTEC :D :D jk...

Thanks Redline, I will try using 10-30 for the next round! but isn't Redline engine oil big bling bling?

redline
07-26-2002, 08:34 AM

Thanks Redline, I will try using 10-30 for the next round! but isn't Redline engine oil big bling bling?

redline engine oil is about $13/L

legendboy
07-26-2002, 08:49 AM
I don't think that replacing the pcv is going to be a very fun job if u can't get it from underneath. If I remember, its behind a large bracket that supports the intake manifold. My new engine has the pcv built into the valve cover :) My old pcv was shot and soaked in oil, as well, there was lots of oil in my intake manifold when I took it off. I had to take it apart and clean it.

99jdm_itr
05-04-2009, 05:58 PM
i have a itr and i have to add a 1L about every 2 tanks of fuel and it only burns it when you hit vtec from what i read itr always burn oil and are the worst of the b18's . i wouldnt worry about it just make sure your always got oil and once it starts burning oil at idle or under normal driving conditions (ex. not in vtec) then get it looked at

05-04-2009, 06:05 PM
the shop foreman at calgary honda said that average DOCH VTEC engines can burn around 1L of oil per 1500kms and this is considered normal.

Seems crazy to me that the engine is burning alot and you arent seeing the adverse effects out the tailpipe.

m10-power
05-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Did your car get used at the race track? If so that would explain the consumption, might be time for a rebuild.

I'd switch to a good 15-50w oil, make sure the PVC is working correctly and not sending into the intake (external catch can with breather).

Mibz
05-04-2009, 08:24 PM
7 year bump, that's gotta be a record.

Mr_ET
05-04-2009, 10:14 PM
this is awesome:burnout: