PDA

View Full Version : G35 owners - need some advise

gonefishing
06-11-2007, 11:58 AM
so i changed out the OEM air filter yesterday and replace it with a K&N one. now my car idles funny ( around 400 rpm) . Does anyone know what the problem is?

Perfect Dark
06-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Did you reset the ECU? Sometimes that needs to be done so it can relearn and adapt to a modification.

heavyD
06-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Shot in the dark but some cars with MAF sensors don't like the oil in K&N filters.

dmtx
06-11-2007, 12:29 PM
reset the ECU.

I had my emission flush at the dealership and a day after that my car idles a bit higher and the "service engine soon" is on. Brought to the dealership and they said the emission flush cleaned up the carbons and all the crap and thus the idle problem. They reset the ECU and all went fine.

Worse scenario is you have too much oil on your K&N and your sensor got buggered up. If the ECU reset can not solve the problem, just put the stock filters and bring it to the dealership if you still have the warranty. Sensors can cost you up to $600 (according to hyatt - or they were just trying to scare me not to put my pop chargers).

gonefishing
06-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Dark
Did you reset the ECU? Sometimes that needs to be done so it can relearn and adapt to a modification.

can someone please explain how i do this?

Weapon_R
06-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Unplug the battery for 10 mins to reset the ECU, though I doubt thats your problem.

My guess is something to do with the MAF. Disconnect it and clean it with a good electronics cleaner, and let it fully dry before plugging it back in.

benyl
06-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by gonefishing

can someone please explain how i do this?

unplug battery. Press the brake for 5 seconds to bleed out any residual charge in the system.

mark986
06-11-2007, 12:44 PM
1) Turn ignition to on only, (don't start) wait 3 seconds
2) Push fully and release the gas pedal 5 times within 5 seconds
3) Wait 7 secs, fully push gas pedal and hold for 10 seconds until the CES light starts to blink
4) Release gas pedal (you are in diagnostic test mode 2)
5) Press and hold gas pedal for more than 10 seconds. Release pedal.
6) The CES light will continue to blink
7) Turn ignition off. Restart car.

Hope that helps. Or, if you don't care about losing your radio settings and what not you can

Remove the Negative and then the Positive wires from your battery terminals. Touch the wires together for 5 to 10 seconds. Re-attach (Positive first, then Negative)

conschoi
06-11-2007, 12:54 PM
go to www.g35driver.com
it has everything about G35 there~~~

gonefishing
06-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Just tried resetting the ECU. My CEL went off but it still idles at really low RPMS.

Crymson
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Anyone knwo how to get the Non Brembo 03's to stop f'ing squealing like banshee?

89coupe
06-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Put the stock airfilters back in...LOL.

You aren't gaining anything by switching to a K&N.:rolleyes:

mark986
06-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Haha.. I know what you mean. Had that problem with my 05 at first. It took many service calls and warranty work. They finally replaced all brakes and rotors. Haven't had a problem since.

And 89coupe is right, why go with the K&N filter? :dunno:

Mangina
06-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Put the stock airfilters back in...LOL.

You aren't gaining anything by switching to a K&N.:rolleyes:

What do you mean??!!! He's gaining like 85 hp and Vtec!!

gonefishing
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM
took out MAF sensor and there was a little white piece of pollumn(sp?) from like a dandelion flower stuck on it. removed it and car seems to be ok now. will update tomorrow if that did the trick.

dmtx
06-11-2007, 03:01 PM
f*cking weeds.... but why is it in there in the first place...

gonefishing
06-11-2007, 03:12 PM
^^^ LOL , did i forget to mention that when i first replaced the air filter i put it in backwards and then drove for like 20kms. thats when the car started to idle funny then i installed it the correct way.

SinisterProbeGt
06-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Stay away from Hyatt there a bunch of crooks.
Take it to Brasso :thumbsup:

2EFNFAST
06-12-2007, 12:28 AM
I think proper idle on a g35/350z is around 650rpm

If I had to take a guess, I would guess you either fvcked up the MAF changing the filter (but come on, how dumb would you have to be to do that, it's just pop open the airbox and slide new one in, heh, nowhere near the MAF really) OR, more than liekly, the k&n was over-oiled. You could probably try cleaning it to remove the excess oil. (sometimes they come too over-oiled from the factory)

Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt

Agreed; avoid Hyatt like the plague

euro_racer
06-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt

here we go again with trying to take down another company :rofl:

hyatt is pretty good IMO and some friendly people there too...only reason i would see something going wrong with the experience there would be a customer who is not willing to pay the price of owning an infiniti :thumbsup:

gonefishing
06-12-2007, 07:50 AM
drove the car for about 25kms last night and everything seemed ok. A friend of mine came over with one of those meter reader thingy's and hook it up to my car and said the car was ok :thumbsup:

conschoi
06-12-2007, 10:00 AM
So if i had the service engine soon light on after i changed the AEM Tube~~ what should i do?