PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding DSLR (newb!)

hampstor
06-11-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm hoping to get some advise from the pros.

My wife and I are looking for a new camera - we wanted something that can take fast, high quality pictures. We probably won't ever print anything off larger then 8x10 but we may consider doing larger pictures from time to time. We take pictures of people, landscapes, cars, events such as car shows, etc.

We already own a Casio Exilim Z60 and a Minolta Z1 cameras for everyday point and shoot.

This camera seems to fit the bill of what i am looking for (and it comes with a 55-200mm VR lens to boot) but I was wondering what the pros think of it:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=10092&SID=

Basically, a Nikon D40 w/ 18-55mm, VR 55-200 Lenses.

AccentAE86
06-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Personally I think the D40 is a handicapped piece of crap. If you can find old stock of a D50 that would be a much better choice imo. I'm not a Nikon user but looking at a D40 vs D50 on paper makes it a clear choice to me.

Mitsu3000gt
06-11-2007, 10:09 PM
The D40 lacks exposure bracketing, and an in-camera auto focus motor when compared to the competition. Additionally it has only 3 focus points. By the sounds of it, it would probably be fine for what you want to do with it, but it does have it's limitations. It's not the greatest camera if you really want to get into the hobby IMO. Many prime lenses (fixed focal lengths) do not have an autofocus motor in the lens, and therefore cannot autofocus on the D40 because it would normally rely on the in-camera focus motor that the D40 doesn't have. That said, there are plenty of lenses that will work just fine, and Nikon makes some pretty good ones for very little money, such as the kit you're considering. That kit is $10 cheaper than at The Camera Store too, which is surprising.

I don't know what your budget is, but cameras to consider are:

Nikon D40(x)

Nikon D80

You may consider the older but still good Nikon D70s and D50

Canon XTi

Canon 30D/20D

All of the above will do what you want, and will take great pictures. Maybe if we had your budget we could help you a little more specifically. There are also some things you may not think you care about but will wish you had, such as a top LCD, and more dedicated hard buttons for changing common settings.

Both the 55-200VR and 18-55 are getting very good press/reviews and are extremely cheap.

For under $1000, it would be difficult to do much better than the D40 with the 2 lenses you suggested, in my opinion.

Go hold all the cameras, because if it's uncomfortable in your hand, that could be a deal breaker.

There's a D70s in the bargain finder right now with a couple lenses for $800.

In my opinion Nikon has a better offering of beginner/pro-sumer cameras/lenses/flashes and Canon owns the high end market cameras i.e. full frame sensors, IS on the huge primes, and their dedication to the Pro/Sports cameras. Nothing really comes close to the new 1Dmk3.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by AccentAE86
Personally I think the D40 is a handicapped piece of crap. If you can find old stock of a D50 that would be a much better choice imo. I'm not a Nikon user but looking at a D40 vs D50 on paper makes it a clear choice to me.

While I completely agree with that sentiment, the D40 with the lenses he mentioned would make a great kit if he's not looking to get serious.

However, a D50 with those lenses would be even better.

Hell, here's my low-budget lightweight kit recommendation:

D50 (or D40 if you can't find one) + 18-70 + 55-200VR

(Also keep in mind that he probably gets MemEx stuff at-cost and thus a D50 would end up being much more expensive)

hampstor
06-11-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm primarily looking at Nikon and not Canon (work related reasons - nothing wrong with the product, I just dont want to support Canon) and my budget is a retail price of less then $1000 for the Camera and lens(es).

I might be able to get my hands on a d50 but being that it's a discontinued model pricing is not in my favour - I am not a serious hobbiest when it comes to photography. I only do it for fun here and there. Though I know a D80 or a rebel xt are better units, I believe i'd be spending a lot of money on a camera where i wouldn't be able to fully use and enjoy the extra features it brings.

If I get more serious I will definately buy a better camera down the road.

My mind is not dead set on a D40, but it is on the forefront and i appreciate all the opinions given so far.

benyl
06-11-2007, 10:45 PM
haha, better check B&H prices. Their price might be lower than your cost...

If you are going to buy a DSLR, don't skimp. You will wish you didn't later.

Why don't you just "demo" one for a while. You know, floor model... haha

canadianx
06-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Ever consider an Olympus EVOLT E-500 Digital SLR 2 Lens Kit w/ 14-45mm, 40-150mm?
http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=6535&SID=
Bang for the buck I don't see you going wrong there.

I know I might get bashed for suggesting an Olympus but lets face facts that you have already stated your intended use and that it is not something you are too serious about. Save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

My friend has had the E300 for a couple years and has been pretty happy with it.

Mitsu3000gt
06-12-2007, 12:12 AM
I think your best possible bang for the buck system would be:

D40 w/ 18-55 + 55-200VR
You can add a SB-600 flash for well under $200 as well.

You have 2 lenses performing way above their price category, a decent camera, and an amazing flash unit.

From what you've told us, I think that is the way to go, however I agree with Benyl in that soon you might wish you bought something better.

msommers
06-12-2007, 01:03 AM
Find something used from either a camera store or a photographer looking to upgrade. Will save you dollars big time and have a nice piece of equipment. I second getting a D50 over the D40, for some reason I just have something against that damn camera!

Mitsu3000gt
06-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Memory Express is selling D50 bodies for $549, it says Limited Quantities. Until this thread, I didn't even know they delt in anything to do with DSLR's. A Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or Sigma 18-50 2.8 Macro + Nikon 55-200VR might be an interesting lens combination along with the D50. The whole thing would set you back about $1350. There are all sorts of interesting combinations you could make for around $1000.

How bad is the D50 viewfinder? I've never held that camera.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

How bad is the D50 viewfinder? I've never held that camera. [/B]

Could be worse. Could be a hell of a lot better, though. D80's is a big improvement.