PDA

View Full Version : BB Turbo revisited

Redlyne_mr2
06-16-2003, 11:03 PM
As we had left off from last time Hollywood stated that he knew a place that rebuilt Ball bearing turbos. I myself was debating wether a BB turbo was a good option or not. Hollywood what were the specs on those turbos?

nosoup4u
06-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Yeah , I would like to know of a place that can repair a BB cartridge too.

nookmumracing
06-17-2003, 11:18 AM
BB is the way to go but if it goes, it goes deep into your pockets.

nosoup4u
06-17-2003, 02:03 PM
72 views and no answer,
i double chesck with some turbo manufacturer in the states and they still tell me that a single or dual BB cartridge CANNOT be repaired.

I really what to prove them wrong, so can whoever said they knew a place that can do it please chime in

or

are you just another ricer!

Redlyne_mr2
06-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by nosoup4u
72 views and no answer,
i double chesck with some turbo manufacturer in the states and they still tell me that a single or dual BB cartridge CANNOT be repaired.

I really what to prove them wrong, so can whoever said they knew a place that can do it please chime in

or

are you just another ricer!
Mau Hollywood had a valid website and number but the thread dissapeared, he hasnt responded yet, hopefully he will..btw what were the specs on your brothers 16g HKS turbo, that laid down some impressive numbers at low boost

nosoup4u
06-17-2003, 02:42 PM
I cant remember , i will try to dig it up this weekend.

Are you sure this hollywood connections is right?

I talked to larry pebris of soundperformance, who builds the worlds fastest supras and the current worlds fastest street tire car(import and domestics, lucky its a supra)also a authorized garrett distributor.

He was at the garrett plant and they intoduced the new gtq wheels and now the gtR wheels.
They off the the new dual BB for all thsir turbos now and they told him that they cant and wont recommend anyone to try to repair it.

If garrett design these cartridge and they say it cant be repaired,I wouldnt want anyone else touching it.

Hollywood
06-18-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
As we had left off from last time Hollywood stated that he knew a place that rebuilt Ball bearing turbos. I myself was debating wether a BB turbo was a good option or not. Hollywood what were the specs on those turbos?

Ok. Sorry it took so long, I worked for almost 24 strait, no sleep, but what ever made 1000 bucks so it was worth it. Any ways I'll try to remember what I posted as what I had before the thread was deleted by a glitch. You also never told me your engine size but I was thinking it was 1.8 or 2L?

Ok now I have more time to type here are 2 turbos I recomend for your car.

Cheaper solution: T3/T04E

COMPRESSOR SPECS:
.60 A/R HOUSING
50 TRIM WHEEL

TURBINE SPECS:
.63 A/R HOUSING
STAGE 3 WHEEL

Standard with 270 degree thrust bearing, but pay for the 360 degree upgrade (75 US). Make sure 2 things, the comp has to be the T04E, not the B, the B series is a 20 year old design that is outdated IMO and is less efficent. Second it has to be a 50 trim as the 50 trim is more effecient than the 54 and 57 trims. This turbo will give you fantastic spoolup for a t3/t4 and support over 400Whp.

Add the 321 stainless 3" T3 v-band adapter (mmmm....321) This way you get that nice 3" downpipe right off the turbo ala T4 style. No bottle necking this way as you normally would on a T3 turbine. 150 US.
http://store4.yimg.com/I/cheapturbo_1746_1898986

More expensive option: Say fuck it and get a nice GT30, smaller sized out of the options in the GT30 line up. You can get the 82 A/R Turbine Housing in this turbo if you want but, I'm sure you want a faster spoolup so the 63 is more desireable I would think in your case. This turbo will support well over 400WHp. AndGT's are a stronger turbo FYI.

Ball Bearing Center Section
4 Bolt Discharge Flange (good)
T3
.63 A/R Turbine Housing
84 Trim Turbine

T04S
.70 A/R Compressor Housing
52 Trim Compressor Wheel

Now the whole ball bearing rebuild thing;

I have talked to these guys and they seem very inventive when it comes to turbo's, they are not the standard liniar thinking turbo shops I'm used to talking to, which includes the largest wholesaler of garrett turbos in north america. I was also told by many other shops that GT's cant be rebuilt either, but these guys can rebuild GT turbos which are dual ball bearing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.agpturbo.com/

Conventional Bushing Turbochargers
We offer turbocharger rebuilding services for factory and aftermarket turbochargers from all the major manufacturers. The standard rebuild cost is $300 and includes complete disassembly of your turbocharger. We inspect all parts and they are cleaned and/or bead blasted to a new finish. New shaft bushings, oil seals, gaskets, and thrust bearing is installed after the rotating assembly is completely balanced to our rigid specifications.

Keep in mind that some rebuilds will require new parts that are at an additional cost. If this is the case, after we disassemble and inspect your turbo, we will notify you of any additional costs involved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GT Ball Bearing Rebuilds
Who says you can't rebuild the Garrett Performance Products GT series ball bearing turbochargers? We say, "We CAN!" Email or call us for pricing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

P.S. Redlyne now when you get back into town you owe me a beer for typing so much.....:D

Redlyne_mr2
06-18-2003, 07:09 AM
Hehe Hollywood it's a deal thanks man! The gt30 is definitely an attractive option however its the price that is keeping me away. wwww.extremeboost.com in TO has a nice setup for the mr2 but I can't justify +3500 US (full kit). Thanks for all the info