PDA

View Full Version : WTB: older bobcat/skidsteer

beyondmike
06-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Looking for a used skidsteer/bobcat(any brand). Not looking to dish out more than $12K. PM me if you know of any available. Thanks!

sluggish
06-12-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure what you plan on using it for but if you plan to use it regularly(ie. daily) for construction use, I would stay away from anything in that price range as it will likely have outlived its usefullness and become a money pit to you. I you are just looking for something to use occasionally, you may be okay. Not too many out there for under $15k that are any good though. Good luck in the search.

beyondmike
06-12-2007, 06:00 PM
moving out to an acreage, just looking to use it maybe a couple hours a week. not hard labour. just moving a bit of dirt and clearing the driveway. yeah, i think $12k maybe pushing it. if anyone has any under $15k, PM me. looking to get one within the month. thanks!

sluggish
06-13-2007, 09:48 AM
In that case you'll be fine with an older one to play around with. I'll keep my eyes open. Check the bargain finder, sometimes you find really old ones(like 25 yrs) for less than $10k, if that would work for you.

Mitsu3000gt
06-13-2007, 09:51 AM
You can rent them for about $150/day at RONA. That's 800 hours of work to equal the $15k. Are you going to use it that much? Perhaps it would be cheaper to rent?

sluggish
06-13-2007, 09:59 AM
That stand behind one at Rona would be a pain in the ass and not worth the price. A decent machine is at least $200/day plus you have to pick it up and drop it off again, adding a couple hours to your time, assuming you have a trailer and truck capable of hauling it. If not then they charge you an extra $90 each way for pickup and delivery(within Calgary), outside the limits would be more. Plus you can't just jump on it anytime you want to dig a hole, you're on a rental schedule. Owning is better, especially if you have an acreage. You will use it for years, just like a big toy.

5hift
06-13-2007, 11:19 AM
:werd:

Plus if you have just moved on an acreage, you havent experienced a Calgary winter with an extremely long driveway.

That Bobcat would come in handy in clearing the snow as well.

That said,

Keep in mind if you plan on having a big lawn though, you might be better off buying one of those multi purpose medium duty John Deere's that have a giant shovel on the front and a mowing deck on the back. I think ours cost around $20K brand new so you might be able to find a used one for cheaper.

beyondmike
06-18-2007, 05:12 PM
hey guys, thanks for the tips. yup, it's gonna be my first time living on an acreage. city boy here so it's gonna be an adjustment for sure. got to buy all the equipment now!

beyondmike
03-29-2008, 01:10 PM
bump....i got to find one this spring!!! couldn't find any on the autotrader.

maximus5502
03-29-2008, 02:14 PM
try going to the auctions;

www.grahamauctions.com

reagle auctiosn as well

there are others and some times equipment does go cheap

Weapon_R
03-29-2008, 03:41 PM
I found one for ya. My friend was shopping for one but he ended up buying new.

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/car/619743694.html - just a little guy but probably enough for home/acreage use. Some sites like these because they can fit easily between houses

maximus5502
04-01-2008, 09:43 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-garden-BOBCAT-S250-SKID-STEER-LOAD-HUDSON-TRAILER-EQUIPMENT-W0QQAdIdZ44203521

beyondmike
04-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
You can rent them for about $150/day at RONA. That's 800 hours of work to equal the $15k. Are you going to use it that much? Perhaps it would be cheaper to rent?

talking with a lot of people that live out on an acreage, they say that it is very useful to have around well after all the landscaping is done. shovel snow off driveway, the odd cleanup job and many more. i could rent, but in the long run, i think it's best to have a cheap one around all the time. you never know when you'll need it.