PDA

View Full Version : RX7 Manages To Lose All 4 Wheels

schocker
06-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Here is a great video of an RX7 doing some AutoX, loses all 4 wheels.
Link (http://www.teamjamoto.com/dixeregionpage.htm#v8301600)

lamp_shade_2000
06-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Did he forget to tighten his lugnuts or something? That was messed.

streetarab
06-13-2007, 10:20 AM
im thinkin he over tightened them, nice wheel/tire combo though

hjr
06-13-2007, 01:56 PM
naw, the studs were still on and hte lugs around. i think they waz loose

Daan
06-13-2007, 02:00 PM
do you guys think was staged ?

even if they were loose ... all 4 to come off like that ?

JRSC00LUDE
06-13-2007, 02:05 PM
:rofl:

It may have gone a little something like this after:

"What the F Dude? When I said to check my nuts I didn't just mean the ones in my pants!"

Oldskool
06-13-2007, 02:09 PM
I love how at the end, in the interior shot, you can see that he put his e-brake up :rofl:

E46..sTyLez
06-13-2007, 02:10 PM
shit man, i hate it when that happens :rofl:

Crymson
06-13-2007, 02:19 PM
D'oh.

Go4Long
06-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Daan
do you guys think was staged ?

even if they were loose ... all 4 to come off like that ?

if you look when he goes to turn the right side ones come off, then he skids pulling the left side ones off...and I don't think anyone would deliberately drop an FD onto it's frame/oil pan/exhaust like that...

Daan
06-13-2007, 02:45 PM
haha are you speaking from experience :angel:
am i seeing right ... is his e-brake pulled ?

Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
shit man, i hate it when that happens :rofl:

CSMRX7
06-13-2007, 02:46 PM
The real story is those wheels were just purchased. They were R-compound tires and put on at the Auto-x. The lugs provided by the wheel shop were the wrong thread size, and were strips of the car under load.

Sucks any way you look at. Can only blame the tire shop :(

Go4Long
06-13-2007, 02:48 PM
wonder if he could go after the tire shop for that...I would hope so...

CSMRX7
06-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
wonder if he could go after the tire shop for that...I would hope so...

Me too. The car was very badly damaged, and is undrivable.

Go4Long
06-13-2007, 03:03 PM
safe bet is he was going close to 50 km/h when that happened...so yeah...slamming it into the pavement probably wasn't the best for it :(

Si_FlyGuy
06-13-2007, 03:14 PM
That reeks of sabotage.

Go4Long
06-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
That reeks of sabotage.

might want to read the other posts...kthx

SilverGS
06-13-2007, 03:23 PM
All 4 coming off like that is pretty fishy to me

Euro_Trash
06-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS
All 4 coming off like that is pretty fishy to me

Originally posted by Go4Long

might want to read the other posts...kthx

CSMRX7
06-13-2007, 03:42 PM
People must have very poor reading comprehension.

THE TIRE SHOP PROVIDED LUGS WITH THE WRONG THREAD TYPE!!

Si_FlyGuy
06-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by CSMRX7
People must have very poor reading comprehension.

THE TIRE SHOP PROVIDED LUGS WITH THE WRONG THREAD TYPE!!

You're saying that there's no possibility that someone at the tire shop did that intentionally?

Perhaps this guy was being a clown when he bought the setup.

Go4Long
06-13-2007, 04:16 PM
yes...some guy was like...I'm going to lose my job and get the company sued so I can prove that being an ass isn't nice :nut:

CSMRX7
06-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy

You're saying that there's no possibility that someone at the tire shop did that intentionally?

Perhaps this guy was being a clown when he bought the setup.

Of course there is a possibility, but is it probable... no.

Is it likely that the shop was careless and recked a beautiful car... yes.

ken-gsr
06-13-2007, 04:51 PM
you guys are funny.
I have had nightmares about all 4 of my wheels falling off while driving down deerfoot.

Crymson
06-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Of course the wheels are going to fall off, eveyrone knows that rotaries are unreliable.

l/l/rX
06-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Of course the wheels are going to fall off, eveyrone knows that rotaries are unreliable.

:rofl:

whatthe
06-13-2007, 07:43 PM
If partsource gives me the wrong cv shaft, I don't try to put it on and go racing...

seems like it would have been preventable with some common sense from the shop or the guy.

Si_FlyGuy
06-13-2007, 08:02 PM

Damn those rotating wheels!:rofl:

MrSector9
06-13-2007, 10:02 PM
yeah anyone that cannot feel the difference in threads and thread pitch while installing something shouldnt be touching anything on a car anyway.

either way they woudl have went on hard isnce there is a huge difference between pitch sizes and none of them easily thread on.. maybe if it was a coarse metric and they gave him a standard but even then they would have wobbled around so bad putting them on and i don't think they coudl have ever been properly "torqued"

sad thing to see but the guy was owned by his own lack of mechanical knowledge.

Rx7
06-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by MrSector9
yeah anyone that cannot feel the difference in threads and thread pitch while installing something shouldnt be touching anything on a car anyway.

either way they woudl have went on hard isnce there is a huge difference between pitch sizes and none of them easily thread on.. maybe if it was a coarse metric and they gave him a standard but even then they would have wobbled around so bad putting them on and i don't think they coudl have ever been properly "torqued"

sad thing to see but the guy was owned by his own lack of mechanical knowledge.

Most shops just put the lug nut on the impact gun and torque it on so they didn't feel the wrong nut going on the bolt

BerserkerCatSplat
06-13-2007, 10:18 PM

:rofl: :rofl: Best post in this thread.

urban.one
06-13-2007, 10:22 PM
From a local forum:

Hello all,
I was at the event and know the guy who owns the car. (No it wasn't me)
I was in the paddock area next to him changing wheels at the same time as him. I watched him torque all of them. I even borrowed his torque wrench to tighten mine (I always forget something after I get on the road).

He went to a wheel/tire business and asked for spline drive lug nuts for his particular make/model/year car for the Enkeis, and that's what they gave him. He did not purchase the tires or wheels from them, just the lug nuts.

The lug nuts where sheared off the studs. Several members lifted a corner of the car to slide a jack underneath it. With a few more jacks, blocks of wood, etc, they were able to mount the stock wheels and stock lugs nuts (at least 3 per wheel) back on, torque them and drive the car off course. The design of the car, possilbly for aerodynamics, tucks all mechanicals on the underside a little higher than the body line, or lowest part of the brake rotors. Not even the exhaust was really scratched.

I'm not a mechanic, but the mechanics theories there was that the lug nuts where the incorrect size, but they were just small enough to grip the outer edge of the threads (as I mentioned, they torqued to 75-80 ft/lbs without complaint).

Hopefully, the only damage is to the body and brakes.

MrSector9
06-13-2007, 10:33 PM
maybe the lug nuts were made to incorrect tolerances but there is no thread sizes/pitches that are that close together that you could screw it on (and not think anything was weird) and then torque them to 80 ft/lbs.

the closes you could get like that would be a coarse metric and then using an SAE lug nut.. but even then you would feel something completely wrong.

SPECIALLY on all 4 wheels.

adidas
06-13-2007, 11:58 PM
pretty insane!

stevo 27
06-14-2007, 12:17 AM
im sorry shitty for the guy but fuckin funny all at once

AllGoNoShow
06-22-2007, 02:10 AM
shitty lug nut combo'd with some hella sticky tires = the result most likely

iblizzard
06-22-2007, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by CSMRX7

Me too. The car was very badly damaged, and is undrivable.

Undrivable? I'm sure if he hit the gas, the brakes would spin.. he might be able to move a millimeter or so.

But yikes.. that was very cartoon-like. Shame to see that slam so hard into the ground. Hopefully the bulk of the damage was done to the brakes and body like that guy from the other forum said.