PDA

View Full Version : Timing Issues!!! Can anyone offer advice?

JRSC00LUDE
06-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Here's the story, and if some of my terminology is wrong sorry - I'm not a mechanic. Sorry for the long writeup.

Last summer when I had my S/C installed and changed over to a P28 ecu, we couldn't figure out why it wouldn't make power on the dyno. Eventually we realized that the timing seemed to be extremely retarded and Rage2 just kept advancing it until we made power and all was well. Only "problem" is that even though it runs great, the numbers are not right. They are so advanced that in theory it should just blow up when you hit the throttle.

If I am wrong in this, perhaps Rage can correct me but that's how I recall it.

I want to figure out what the problem is because I'm picky like that. We have checked the timing marks on the flywheel/cams/and whatever else mechanical that can be checked and everything is right. Distributor on H22 is not manually adjustable from everything I know, it's all ecu controlled.

Anybody have ideas on what else it could be that is causing this? I don't like having these artificially inflated numbers, I want it to be correct. I don't have my timing numbers off the top of my head but I believe that they are advanced approx. 16 degrees higher than would be "normal" on my application.

Any insight would be appreciated.

JRSC00LUDE
06-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Come on, not one person has a plausible explanation as to why my timing is off even though all mechanical indicators suggest it should be accurate?

Annoyingrob
06-15-2007, 04:05 AM
Maybe the mechanical indicators are wrong. For example, on my car, the timing mark is on the crank pulley, and references to some marks on the timing belt cover. If I had a pulley, or cover from a different car, it's possible that the marks would physically be off.

legendboy
06-15-2007, 08:46 AM
there is adjustment on your dizzy btw

has the car had a jdm swap? original engine?

forced_eg
06-15-2007, 09:04 AM
theres no jumper wire or nothing needed to bypass timing advance devices or something??

JRSC00LUDE
06-15-2007, 09:10 AM
it is the stock engine and nothing has been replaced inside or out (except the timing belt itself) so the marks shouldn't be off.

Where is the adjustment on the dizzy possible? Everything I've seen so far says they are not adjustable on a 5th gen.

And forced_eg, not sure what you mean - sorry!

legendboy
06-15-2007, 09:17 AM
when you check your base ignition timing there is a cover on the right side of your center console. inside there is a small plug, u need to jump the pins and then check your timing with a light

JRSC00LUDE
06-15-2007, 09:21 AM
^

Oh yes, I knew about that but I'm not sure if my mech. did that or not thanks for reminding me. Would it have given a false reading without jumping that? I can't check it again this weekend I am in Calgary right now.

That still doesn't explain why my maps timing #'s are so off though?

Annoyingrob
06-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Would it have given a false reading without jumping that? Yes it will.

JRSC00LUDE
06-21-2007, 09:31 AM
^

Just talked to my mechanic, and he said "of course I jumped the pins, do you think I'm stupid?" haha.

So I can't see how it could be anything except for the base timing on the ecu itself that is out? Would that make sense?