PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Flames Name New Head Coach

max_boost
06-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Well not yet.......BUT!

TSN reporting Mike Keenan could be announced as the Flames new Head Coach as early as Thursday.

Thoughts? Speculation? I like it. :goflames:

Hakkola
06-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Pretty much anybody would be an improvement.

Si_FlyGuy
06-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I thought that Sutter was sticking with what's his face? Sonavagun, they should've done that before the playoffs.

Btw...is this another Max Boost client rumour? Just kidding!:rofl:

l8braker
06-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Keenan, eh? That is VERY interesting.

Can't wait to hear what happens tomorrow.

max_boost
06-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
I thought that Sutter was sticking with what's his face? Sonavagun, they should've done that before the playoffs.

Btw...is this another Max Boost client rumour? Just kidding!:rofl: haha well my client's latest rumour is, don't be surprised if you see Ryan Smyth in a Flames jersey next year :D

Si_FlyGuy
06-13-2007, 08:39 PM
I would LOVE to have Smyth here, but that would mean dropping someone. Who would that be?

Iginla, Smyth, Tanguay on a line with Phaneuf and Hamrlik on the point for the powerplay? :love:

1 year free food for Sutter if he brings in Smyth or Briere promo!

5hift
06-13-2007, 09:05 PM
With the number of teams Keenan has taken over and subsequently ruined in the NHL, I have a hard time believing Sutter would be dumb enough to think this would work.

But then again he stuck with Playfair for 1 year too long as well so who knows.

asuth077
06-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Sutter better make sure Keenan doesn't manage anything and I hope that is very clear to him. He has ruined some serious teams and has a reuptation as a terrible manager.

Having said that, on the coaching level... his hard-nose no excuses expectation of players may be refreshing on the bench.

Ajay
06-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by asuth077

Having said that, on the coaching level... his hard-nose no excuses expectation of players may be refreshing on the bench.

This is why Sutter is probably going to be bringing him in.

Keenan does have a bad rep for ruining teams but those were teams that he was the GM and head coach of. He did make one team better though, the Canucks are a fan of Keenan I'm sure!

petoria
06-13-2007, 11:07 PM
i'm not too sure wut to think right now...
i'm not the biggest fan of keenan yet, the fact
that playfair isn't gonna be behind our bench next year
is always a positive no matter who coaches...they half
to be better than playfair

R!zz0
06-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Looks like Keenan is in :thumbsup:

kongaj
06-13-2007, 11:11 PM
I dunno about Keenan... but Smyth, no thank you
Money better spent elsewhere

HybridTheory
06-13-2007, 11:43 PM
:thumbsdow to Smyth. But Keenan eh? Should be a next interesting couple of days...

FiveFreshFish
06-13-2007, 11:58 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210749

three.eighteen.
06-14-2007, 02:52 AM
not really sure how i feel, it's great that playfair is no longer head coach, but mike keenan? come on...we can kiss huselius goodbye

gpomp
06-14-2007, 02:58 AM
confirmed.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=78fa9611-bec2-41ad-ad19-d7eb9dacb25f&k=68774

gpomp
06-14-2007, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
not really sure how i feel, it's great that playfair is no longer head coach, but mike keenan? come on...we can kiss huselius goodbye
he's the coach, not the gm.

three.eighteen.
06-14-2007, 03:04 AM
yeah, but still theyre going to have to interact no?

harv91
06-14-2007, 04:14 AM
YESSSS!
PLAYFAIR IS GONE,
GOOD RIDDANCE :D

bluetek
06-14-2007, 07:46 AM
I would love to have Smyth on our team. Its one thing we need. Someone who is not afraid to get in front and disrupt the goalie, and score some goals. Not to mention it would be pretty sweet to rub it Edmonton's face. He's a damn good hockey player.

Keenan I don't really like. Don't get me wrong I'm not a big fan of Playfair either. I think we coulda found someone better.

Hopefully it works out, but Keenan's style could ruin a team for sure. Look what happened to the Canadians and Mr. Carbonneau last year. Same style so, I dunno!!!:dunno:

dericer
06-14-2007, 08:10 AM
Things are falling into place!

We're in a very simular situation as we were in the 80's.

Go to the cup final in '86 then studder. Bring in a tough, no nonsense coach (Crisp) who kicked ass, and took down name. All the free agents hated him, but utimately it worked.

We won the cup, and lost our free agents. I think that's what Sutter sees.

We have tonnes of free agents at the end of the season, many whom we won't be able to sign.

He has to squeeze one victory out of these guys before losing them. Keenan is probably the right man for the job + Sutter and him are friends.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

In Sutter we trust. :goflames:

Foozle
06-14-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm pretty sure that Sutter and Keenan coached together in Chicago back in the day. Both Sutter and Keenan seem to have similar views of what is expected of the players. I hope everyone adjusts well to this change.

This will be great/interesting for next season.
:goflames:

bobby_lu
06-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Hopfully he'll get you guys Mark Messier :rolleyes: :poosie:

spyce
06-14-2007, 08:46 AM
I would not take Smyth at his pricetag.
I say we take a shot at Bertuzzi since he's likely to sign for much much cheaper

Then our lines could look something like this

Tanguay-Langkow-Iginla
Huselius-Lombardi-Bertuzzi
Taratuhkin-Conroy-Moss
Prust-Yelle-Nilson

=)

Si_FlyGuy
06-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Bertuzzi would be great too, but Smyth's mullet gives him better screening capabilites.

someone in the middle's gotta go with boyd coming up.

Maddog55
06-14-2007, 09:16 AM
As a Vancouver Canuck fan all I can say is:

ROFL!!!! Oh God this is GREAT NEWS!!!! Vancouver had Keenan for almost two years. They didn't make the playoffs..he had a losing record and was fired. The fans hated him and so did the players. His tired old ways of treating his players like children, and ranting and raving has long lost its power. His days of an effective coach died long ago.
Get ready for another great year Calgary!!! BWAHAHahahahaha

He treats his players like crap..belittles them..rants and screams behind closed doors. This used to work...back in Bantam, but no longer. The players lost respect for him. you watch, Calgary. For the first time, I actually feel sorry for Calgary Fans.
Oh...so, now...Bertuzzi would be a GOOD guy for the flames??? What...no more booing when he graces the ice surface???
Oh man, lolololol....Karma is a bitch, aint she?!!!
:rofl: :rofl:

bobby_lu
06-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Maddog55
As a Vancouver Canuck fan all I can say is:

ROFL!!!! Oh God this is GREAT NEWS!!!! Vancouver had Keenan for almost two years. They didn't make the playoffs..he had a losing record and was fired. The fans hated him and so did the players. His tired old ways of treating his players like children, and ranting and raving has long lost its power. His days of an effective coach died long ago.
Get ready for another great year Calgary!!! BWAHAHahahahaha

He treats his players like crap..belittles them..rants and screams behind closed doors. This used to work...back in Bantam, but no longer. The players lost respect for him. you watch, Calgary. For the first time, I actually feel sorry for Calgary Fans.
Oh...so, now...Bertuzzi would be a GOOD guy for the flames??? What...no more booing when he graces the ice surface???
Oh man, lolololol....Karma is a bitch, aint she?!!!
:rofl: :rofl:

Canucks ftw!

adamc
06-14-2007, 09:36 AM
AHAHA, another hard core Canucks fan here!

We'll see what the flamers look like this year, should be interesting either way.

D'z Nutz
06-14-2007, 11:30 AM
A move like this makes me kinda nervous, but atleast Playfair's out. We'll see if it was a smart move or not in a few months...

And no more of this nonsense about Bertuzzi and Smyth :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

heavyD
06-14-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm not a big fan of Keenan but the last time he coached a talented team they won the cup. The Flames should win the NW and be a cup contender.

BTW: No need to feel sorry for us Canuck fans. Flames are a better team with Keenan behind the bench. While the Canucks scratch and claw for 8th spot the Flames will be chasing the Presidents Trophy.

Si_FlyGuy
06-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

And no more of this nonsense about Bertuzzi and Smyth :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Come on man, we need some ugly fuggers to take pucks in their faces in front of the net. Who better? :rofl:

sputnik
06-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
I'm not a big fan of Keenan but the last time he coached a talented team they won the cup. The Flames should win the NW and be a cup contender.

BTW: No need to feel sorry for us Canuck fans. Flames are a better team with Keenan behind the bench. While the Canucks scratch and claw for 8th spot the Flames will be chasing the Presidents Trophy.

Exactly.

Who was on the 1997/98 roster for Vancouver anyways?

bobby_lu
06-14-2007, 02:29 PM
LOL, you mean scratched and claw to win the division?

Originally posted by sputnik

Exactly.

Who was on the 1997/98 roster for Vancouver anyways?

Umm to name a few.

Pavel Bure
Alexander Mogilny
Markus Naslund
Mark Messier

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000391998.html

10 years ago...those were pretty sick players

boi-alien
06-14-2007, 02:50 PM
i wonder what will happen to huselius, i hope he doesn't end up in keenan's dog house like he did in FLA

toyboy88
06-14-2007, 03:00 PM
BTW playfair is still assistant coach so he's still "there" ;)

l8braker
06-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Darryl does know the team better than anyone else and will pick the right man for the job. Fuck, why is hockey season so far away :thumbsdow

HybridTheory
06-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
Darryl does know the team better than anyone else and will pick the right man for the job. Fuck, why is hockey season so far away :thumbsdow

:werd: It's only been about a week since the Stanley cup finals and I'm already in withdrawl

Billy2
06-14-2007, 08:24 PM
the only problem I can see is how keenan has a history of not being able to get along with his players...Imagine if he couldnt get along with iginla or kipper, (we know him and huselius definitely dont like each other...). if that's the case, the team will fall apart. But its definitely intersting to see what sutter's next move is.

slick2404
06-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by bobby_lu

Umm to name a few.

Pavel Bure
Alexander Mogilny
Markus Naslund
Mark Messier

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000391998.html

10 years ago...those were pretty sick players

oh please,
the canucks could have had the the top players in the NHL instead what happens in 1990?
"Imagine the Canucks with Jaromir Jagr and Keith Tkachuk. Or perhaps Jaromir Jagr and Martin Brodeur. It could have happened.

With the No. 1 pick, the Quebec Nordiques took Owen Nolan, leaving Vancouver with a choice of three centers and a winger. In addition to Nedved, the other centers were Keith Primeau and Mike Ricci. The winger -- Jagr.

The Canucks decided on Nedved....

...With the 18th pick, the Canucks decided Shawn Antoski was their future left winger instead of another left winger -- Keith Tkachuk Winnipeg quickly grabbed Tkachuk with the next pick. After Tkachuk, the Devils selected goalie Martin Brodeur at No. 20."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/news/2001/08/08/sayitaintso_canucks/

Canucks blew back then, and will contuine to blow.
:goflames:

Rocky
06-14-2007, 09:52 PM
I don't like Keenan's reputation, and the fact he has little (none?) coaching experience in the new NHL. However, he's a tough coach, and Calgary definitely has the talent to succeed. Why didn't we last year? Not sure, but considering Sutter was also tough and he got us to the final, plus the fact Sutter picked Keenan, in the end I'm pleased. Maybe it's that grit behind the bench that we need to kick us into first in the NW and into another Cup berth.

In Sutter We Trust!

PS: Still not a fan of signing Smyth.

Maddog55
06-15-2007, 08:43 AM

ROFL....yeah..and take a look at his record SINCE then!!
8 out of 9 years he's been below .500, 4 times missed playoffs, and twice going out in the first round. And 6 of those years he was replaced mid-season. What does that tell you about his effectiveness?

The minute Mike feels a power struggle, both the team and the fans lose. Remember when he and Brett Hull werent getting along. on and off the ice. THen Keenan benched Hull..and that was pretty much IT for his St Louis Days. Every team since the '94 Rangers, (When Vancouver took them to game 7) It was the same story. Come in..bang some heads..win a few games..then downhill from there. My prediction: Two years tops with Calgary before the fans finally scream loud enough to get him fired.
Ted Nolan..now THERE's a player's coach!! Calgary would do awesome with him.
But...good luck Calgary. Looking for another good rivalry this coming year.

spyce
06-15-2007, 08:49 AM

ROFL....yeah..and take a look at his record SINCE then!!
8 out of 9 years he's been below .500, 4 times missed playoffs, and twice going out in the first round.

The minute Mike feels a power struggle, both the team and the fans lose. Remember when he and Brett Hull werent getting along. on and off the ice. THen Keenan benched Hull..and that was pretty much IT for his St Louis Days. Every team since the '94 Rangers, (When Vancouver took them to game 7) It was the same story. Come in..bang some heads..win a few games..then downhill from there. My prediction: Two years tops with Calgary before the fans finally scream loud enough to get him fired.
Ted Nolan..now THERE's a player's coach!! Calgary would do awesome with him.
But...good luck Calgary. Looking for another good rivalry this coming year.

Maybe he is a short term fix. But its something we need when the Flames team now is not likely going to look the same after next season (although I think its do-able to keep all the core players). So the point is it get the most out of the best team we've had on ice in many years.

heavyD
06-15-2007, 09:31 AM

Remember when he and Brett Hull werent getting along. on and off the ice. THen Keenan benched Hull..and that was pretty much IT for his St Louis Days. .

Brett Hull was hardly the poster boy for hard work and dedication (often came to camp overweight) and it's no surprised that a coach that demands a hard work ethic and him wouldn't get along.

The Canucks, Bruins, & Panthers weren't good teams and in fact the Bruins & Panthers have been no better without him so I don't think you can pin those on him.

I don't love Keenan but I stand by the fact that the last time he had a talented team he won the cup. This can only be an improvement over last year as the Flames still made the playoffs despite not playing hard most nights. Unlike the Canucks overall talent is not an issues for the Flames. If they start playing hard again the sky is the limit for this club.

Maddog55
06-15-2007, 09:44 AM

Brett Hull was hardly the poster boy for hard work and dedication (often came to camp overweight) and it's no surprised that a coach that demands a hard work ethic and him wouldn't get along.

I see your thinking, D...but the three years Keenan was there, Hull lead the team in scoring and points. Hull did have his problems. But Keenan's handling of the situation didn't solve the problem. It only got him fired. 6 out of 9 years he gets fired/replaced mid season???
He better come up with some pretty impressive short term stats for Calgary in that case.

spyce
06-15-2007, 09:51 AM

I see your thinking, D...but the three years Keenan was there, Hull lead the team in scoring and points. Hull did have his problems. But Keenan's handling of the situation didn't solve the problem. It only got him fired. 6 out of 9 years he gets fired/replaced mid season???
He better come up with some pretty impressive short term stats for Calgary in that case.

But that goes both ways. He's been the major corner stone for the development of some top players before.

Pronger, Thornton, Cujo etc.

michael_tseng_
06-19-2007, 11:47 PM
In Sutter we trust! Playfair got us to the playoffs, Keenan will get us to the cup.