PDA

View Full Version : need help with oop's inspection.

rouxel
06-14-2007, 11:55 AM
i have a bit of a problem. i have a car from bc and it has a turbo back exhaust with no cats. i thought there were no emmission laws in alberta. but i phoned toyota because its a 88 supra, and they said that they would fail it because of the exhaust. they also told me it was up to the inspector if he wanted to pass it or fail it. so my question is.

DO you know anyone that would pass a car with no cats on the exhaust??

Thanks

Travis

CelicaST-162
06-14-2007, 07:09 PM
It's totally the discretion of the technician at any shop to pass it. The dealership will be less lienient (sp?), so I would suggest taking it to a private shop and having the OOP done if you don't planning slapping a stock cat in place for an inspection. Make sure as well all of your lights work as it will not pass if they don't pass.

Annoyingrob
06-15-2007, 04:19 AM
Typically, you get failed for not having emissions and safety equipment that were on the vehicle stock. Mine got failed the first time because the previous owner took off the rear wiper.

rouxel
06-15-2007, 10:11 AM
ya and it sucks that the car has no test pipe sectio. i might have to take it to midas and get them to cut a spot for a stock cat then buy a test pipe for it. i just didnt want to have to cut into the custom exhaust

Annoyingrob
06-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by rouxel
ya and it sucks that the car has no test pipe sectio. i might have to take it to midas and get them to cut a spot for a stock cat then buy a test pipe for it. i just didnt want to have to cut into the custom exhaust
Get them to put a high flow cat in, and just leave it like that.

jdmXSI
06-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Try it first,(of course don't bring it to Toyota for the inspection) see if they pass or fail it. From what i remember you have 10-14 days after the OOP to get it to passable requirments. They shouldn't charge you any more if you bring it back with the old inspection and the new part installed. Thats what i did with my car for day time running lights! G/L:thumbsup:

pardip_johal
06-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Canadian auto ....passed my 300zx with no horn and no licence plate lights ...they told me make sure i do it ....so really it is up to wherever u take it ..... they took 80 and failed it then hes like pay me 40 more and ill pass it :drama:

New2Talon
06-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Call around and ask if they check for cats. Some places are anal about them, and others told me it wasnt even in the book. I was in the same dilema (I have a 3" ss exhaust from dp back) and I didnt want to hack the ss up to throw a cat in...

do a search, there are a few places recommended for oop's. One is/used to be a sponsor on the site...