PDA

View Full Version : is it important to get my rotor resurfaced?

EstoMax
06-17-2003, 11:35 AM
this is what my front left rotor looks like.. should i get it resurfaced? and do i havta resufrace both the rotors if im getting it done?

max

EstoMax
06-17-2003, 11:35 AM
this is my front right rotor.. its smooth, except edges are lifted up a bit from the brake pad digging a little valley where it touches

max

dj_honda
06-17-2003, 12:27 PM
if your brakes pulse or there are large grooves in your rotor then you should, and change the pads too......if not then that is normal, and the ridge is normal too

EstoMax
06-17-2003, 12:28 PM
the brakes dont really feel wierd... as far as i can tell anyway so i guess its ok then eh

dj_honda
06-17-2003, 12:31 PM
yea, the left one looks a lot rougher than the right....you should probably take the wheels off to get a better look at it though, looking through the spokes doesn't do much.....

Weapon_R
06-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Get them resurfaced. The first pic looks pretty bad.

Its pretty cheap to get them done anyways.

EstoMax
06-17-2003, 02:08 PM
when i wanna get them resufraced do i havta do both? or can i do just one? cause the other one is fine imo.. no grooves or anything.. or do u think i should do both?

max

dj_honda
06-17-2003, 02:53 PM
in canada its like 10$ to get a rotor done, so like, you might as well do both, and on top of that, get new pads while you are at it, unless there are brand new ones on your car now, because you are gonna have to take the caliper off anyways

4wheeldrift
06-17-2003, 05:26 PM
I'd have them check and see why one side is getting eaten a lot worse than the other. You might have a dragging caliper or something on that side.

4CylFiero
06-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Check if you can resurface them, i know that newer cavaliers when you change the pads you also change the rotors they don't get resurfaced, maybe you should just wait it out until you need pads, and then get all new rotors and pads. I know that sounds pretty dumb but otherwise just get the rotors resurfaced and then throw on some new pads or the same thing will happen.

ryder_23
06-17-2003, 10:46 PM
I have similar question, i know my brakes are like that, not visibly, but i can feel the grooves starting...how long till i might hafta replace my rotors...i plan on gettin em done this weeknd...its 10$ if u take em off urself, more if u get them to do it...so i suggest, just putting ur car on blocks for the afternoon, and take both front ones in, might as well get em done at the same time...thats right right, lol..peace

RiceCake
06-18-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23
I have similar question, i know my brakes are like that, not visibly, but i can feel the grooves starting...how long till i might hafta replace my rotors...i plan on gettin em done this weeknd...its 10$ if u take em off urself, more if u get them to do it...so i suggest, just putting ur car on blocks for the afternoon, and take both front ones in, might as well get em done at the same time...thats right right, lol..peace

When you go to Toyota I know they wanted $175 + tax for a brake job on my Corolla... You save a lot by DIY, but try to go back for OEM pads... I know firsthand that aftermarket sux for noise :banghead: :thumbsdow , Your rotors should be done at the same time you do your pads, just take a look and see how much pad you have left when you take a look at it this weekend. While doing brakes, also inspect how the old pads wear to troubleshoot any problems. I know I had 3 brake pads with 30% left and 1 with 10% left, so I had to get the calipers checked out.:)

Fuji
06-18-2003, 11:44 AM
so when you are about to put new pads on, do you need to resurface or turn your rotors?

dj_honda
06-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Fuji
so when you are about to put new pads on, do you need to resurface or turn your rotors?

if your rotors dont have deep grooves, are relatively smooth, and look okay and true then you don't have to. just change the pads. also if your brakes pulse, the rotors "may" be the problem, so you might want to resurface them then....

EstoMax
06-18-2003, 11:58 AM
hmm... they do pulse a bit..so i guess i gotta get this thang checked out

max

abguy
06-19-2003, 02:47 PM
If your rotor surface has a blueish colour to them, they are heat checked. And should be turned or replaced. Aswell as when replacing heat checked rotors you must replace the pads aswell.

Depending on how warped your rotor is, and what the specification is for minimum rotor thickness... If specs are 25mm, and you use a vernier caliper to measure and it is 26mm, then by the time you machine the rotor, you will be under spec..... Point is no reason to machine rotors unless they need it.

You should be able to find the spec on the back of the rotor, or perhaps the front depending on application.
The rusty groove on the outside is normal... Thats just where the pad doesn't touch.

Tips when doing brakes:

Don't be cheap, pads are cheap. So just replace them!

Don't use pliers on the piston of the caliper, unless you are using the old pad as block.

EstoMax
06-19-2003, 03:31 PM
i dont think my rotors are warped.. just one of them seems to have some wierd grooves goin around it