PDA

View Full Version : additives for fuel/oil

civiclx98
06-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi everyone. Hope the week has gone well.

Happy Friday to you all.

I was curious of any and all opinions regarding fuel and oil additives such as stabilizers, octane boosters, fuel injector cleaners, oil/sludge removers and etc.

I haven't used any of these things, normally I just change my oil every 4 - 5 thousand km.

Let me know of any experiences and pros/cons.

Thanks

QuasarCav
06-15-2007, 04:06 PM
I stay away from them because my car has been operating fine for 14 years without them. I stick with regular oil changes and preventative maintenence and that seems to do the trick.

I must admit though, I've use fuel injector cleaner in the past with no noticable difference.

heavyD
06-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Additives aren't required if you are using quality fluids and changing them at manufacturer recommended intervals.

If you have a beater the 'stop leaks' can work but avoid using them on newer cars as they can gum things up.

civiclx98
06-15-2007, 04:19 PM
thanks boys. I appreciate it.

Regular oil changes it is.

PINOY-X
06-15-2007, 04:23 PM
i always add lucas on mine everytime i get my oil change!

heavyD
06-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by PINOY-X
i always add lucas on mine everytime i get my oil change!

That shit's molasis thick. Stuff like that coats turbocharger bearings which which reduces the cooling effects of oil.

hussein
06-15-2007, 08:11 PM
I added a bottle of lucas to my oil one time, I didn't really notice a difference.

civiclx98
06-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Yeah, personally, I added some bardhal B2 twice, didn't notice a lick of a difference.

In fact, I've gone from regular oil to synthetic, back to regular, and I haven't noticed a change at all.

I imagine that regular, preventative maintenance is the most effective way to keep your car running well.