PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was the last time I go to Bagolac

Tik-Tok
06-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Good food, but I will never go back to a restaurant where the owner gives me shit because I complained my take-out took over an hour to get.

No apology, just a 60 second rant about how theres no workers in Calgary, and I shouldn't expect good service anymore.

Fuck I hate Calgary.

/rant

(sorry for adding to beyond's list of rant threads, I'm just pissed off)

max_boost
06-16-2007, 09:39 PM
haha oh man. why didn't you just pick it up?

well this must be the new owners cause my buddy's family just sold it not too long ago.

TC2002
06-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Well that's disappointing to know. I used to go there all the time. :thumbsdow

Tik-Tok
06-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

well this must be the new owners cause my buddy's family just sold it not too long ago.

I DID, I phoned at 7:00, they said 20 min. I showed up at 7:15 hoping it would be done early, and didn't get it until 8:00. I saw a couple come in 10 minute after me, get seated, and eat their dinner while I was waiting for TWO FRIGGIN VERMICELLI BOWLS!

Tell your buddy's family they sold their place to a bunch of rude assholes.

All I wanted was an apology, instead I'll never go back.

FiveFreshFish
06-17-2007, 09:49 AM
I would have walked out by 7:40.

GTS Jeff
06-17-2007, 10:07 AM

well this must be the new owners cause my buddy's family just sold it not too long ago. Well that's a shame, Bagolac was always one of those "safe bet" restaurants when you wanted good, quick, and cheap food near Chinook.

barney
06-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Yeah the key word is "was".
The wife and I have gone there dozens of times until the last time about 2 months ago.
The service was dismal, food was cold, greasy and I suspect the spring rolls were recycled.
Guess nothing good lasts forever.

max_boost
06-17-2007, 11:20 AM
ahh that sucks. looks like they are still learning how to properly run the place? who knows.....

for next time if you are in the downtown area, go to Sunny's. it's on 2nd ave SE (east of the center street bridge) upstairs. it's good service and food every time. been going for over 7 years now. had to plug my favorite place :D

B18C
06-17-2007, 04:48 PM
ahh that sucks. looks like they are still learning how to properly run the place? who knows.....

for next time if you are in the downtown area, go to Sunny's. it's on 2nd ave SE (east of the center street bridge) upstairs. it's good service and food every time. been going for over 7 years now. had to plug my favorite place :D

I'll only go to Sunny's at lunch. Their dinner is hit and miss. It's like they run out of food or something so they just water things down. Plus they changed their satay. It used to be the best in town now they use the same crap from a jar that you can buy at chinese stores.

mucat
06-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by B18C

I'll only go to Sunny's at lunch. Their dinner is hit and miss. It's like they run out of food or something so they just water things down. Plus they changed their satay. It used to be the best in town now they use the same crap from a jar that you can buy at chinese stores.

They change their satay!!!!!!!!!!!!????????

They used to have the best satay, no!!!!!!

max_boost
06-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by B18C

I'll only go to Sunny's at lunch. Their dinner is hit and miss. It's like they run out of food or something so they just water things down. Plus they changed their satay. It used to be the best in town now they use the same crap from a jar that you can buy at chinese stores. oh yeah, i've seen you a couple times there haha

the satay tastes the same to me? the satay they use is the same as the ones in the jar sitting on the table? maybe i'm just not too picky?:dunno:

still, sunny's ftw!

B18C
06-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Maybe they changed it back. It used to be this peanutty flavored satay and then the last couple time I went it was just their normal pho with "satay sauce" added. Definitely not the same stuff.

The only place I see you guys now are at pho places. You at Sunny's and Rage2 at Pho Kim.

Daan
06-17-2007, 08:52 PM
what is satay ?

Originally posted by mucat

They change their satay!!!!!!!!!!!!????????

JRSC00LUDE
06-19-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't know, we went there on saturday night and thought it was good like usual. Service was fast, food was great and satay seemed the same to me?

Too bad about your experience though, I'd be pissed off as well if that happened to me. Should have walked out.

Super_Geo
06-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Fuck! Bagolac was my favorite place for vietmanese food in Calgary... the old owners sold it?

I met him at the 17th Ave ThaiThai after the bar one night and asked him why he never franchised Bagolac to more locations. He said that one ThaiThai pulled in the same amount of profit as Bagolac did and that the staff had a high turnover rate.

These new owners better not fuck with the quality of the food!

Are there any comparable vietmanese resteraunts near downtown?

KRyn
06-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Bagolac has always had good food, and service to match that. I really hope this doesn't show the next time I visit!
:eek:

DepTrotter
06-19-2007, 11:27 AM
wow thats funny that someone made a thread about bagolac, i work by there and everyone i work with loves that place. I was never to estatic about it. i always perferred to go to Golden Bell (right on macleod).. but anyways, my girlfriend and i went in there on saturday afternoon, it wasn't really busy, but we were forced to stay a lot longer than we wanted to. Upon being seated we waited 15 minutes for someone to take our order, and we asked for water, but didnt get it until we asked AGAIN AFTER our food came 30 minutes LATER.. not cool, it was cheap though and therefore left lots of room for NO TIP

mucat
06-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Is Bagolac the one by the chinook CT station?

BigMass
06-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Golden Bell has always been better, cheaper, and it's right next door.

spyce
06-19-2007, 01:51 PM

ah good ol sunnys
used to be my favorite place but then it got trumped by pho so 1
but since ive been working downtown again..sunnys does great for lunch :D
i like how pho so 1's satay is a lot more spicy though :drool:

retro-steve
06-19-2007, 02:01 PM
ummmm who here actually gets good service at any Vietnamese restraunt? I don't ever go for pho expecting premium service. I go expecting a lot of good food for cheap and Bagolac delivers that every time.

I've never been for takeout because I go there to kill time, I never get any Asian food for takeout anymore because it's too frustrating. It either takes too long, it's screwed up or it's cold and worthless.

You want to cry about the manager being an asshole? Maybe you should consider how frustrated he was being understaffed, behind schedule and then getting bitched at. I know you're human, don't you ever get frustrated sometimes?

Maybe since you saw those people come in, sit down and eat before you got your food, consider to stop using the takeout system at any Asian restraunt. :thumbsup:

Justing
06-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by retro-steve
ummmm who here actually gets good service at any Vietnamese restraunt? I don't ever go for pho expecting premium service. I go expecting a lot of good food for cheap and Bagolac delivers that every time.

I've never been for takeout because I go there to kill time, I never get any Asian food for takeout anymore because it's too frustrating. It either takes too long, it's screwed up or it's cold and worthless.

You want to cry about the manager being an asshole? Maybe you should consider how frustrated he was being understaffed, behind schedule and then getting bitched at. I know you're human, don't you ever get frustrated sometimes?

Maybe since you saw those people come in, sit down and eat before you got your food, consider to stop using the takeout system at any Asian restraunt. :thumbsup:

what the hell are you talking about?
because the manager can't MANAGE to hire (and keep) enough staff, he should yell at the customer?!?! :rolleyes:

Weapon_R
06-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Not really surprising - I got the evil staredown when I complained about something floating in my drink and that was the last time I went back.

Gross place :barf:

DepTrotter
06-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Not really surprising - I got the evil staredown when I complained about something floating in my drink and that was the last time I went back.

Gross place :barf:

I know that stare, it immediately causes me to bake brownies :cry:

but you really shouldnt complain about something floating in your drink, i know you swallow either way :devil:

Euro838
06-19-2007, 03:01 PM

+1 here for Sunny's. I go there for lunch sometimes too and never really had a complaint about their food or service.

I think there's too many freakin Vietnamese restaurants in this town now!!! And it seems like they are always changing ownership. There's only a few that seemed to stay consistent whether good or bad i.e. Pho Kim, Oriental Phoenix, etc.

aaronck
06-19-2007, 09:38 PM
You guys are missing the solution 2 minutes away...

Oriental Pheonix is a little more expensive, but the food is better, they usually have great service, what more can you ask for?

Let the white guy flaming begin

DepTrotter
06-21-2007, 09:34 AM
shit i went here last night again

and fuck the service is bad, i think thats the last time i go

my girlfriend wanted to give it a chance but never again.

i could have been in and out in 20 minutes, but instead we were there an hour, and got our food nice and cold

mmm mmm

01RedDX
06-24-2007, 01:33 PM

Ed the SOHC
06-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Oriental Pheonix is not even a contender when it comes to Vietnamese food... mainly because you don't see any asians eating there. This usually means it sucks.

Sunny's is so dirty but I still go there (roaches run around freely there)
Pho Kim is good (Bun Bo Hue very good there)
Pho Xuan is okay too (lots of mystery meat)
Pho Rang Dong is good too (sensibly priced and great tasting)
Noodle World is best for (ironically) their rice dishes.

Originally posted by aaronck
You guys are missing the solution 2 minutes away...

Oriental Pheonix is a little more expensive, but the food is better, they usually have great service, what more can you ask for?

Let the white guy flaming begin

dj_rice
06-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Rule of thumb....for best Vietnamese restaurants, the dirtier the place is, the better the food tastes, thats why Pho Xuan kicks ass

And if you want good service, Vietnamese places are not for you, go to a white restaurant, bad service adds to the authentic Vietnamese experience :thumbsup:

Goo_wak_jai
06-24-2007, 02:15 PM
GO to the Lemon Tree! Off glenmore and 18th

60-7740 18 Street SE
236-8888 or 236-8887

Try it! One of the best and quickest places in calgary, along with good service. They also hold all the pay per viwe fights and you get to watch free when you eat there.
:thumbsup:

max_boost
06-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Fuck! Bagolac was my favorite place for vietmanese food in Calgary... the old owners sold it?

I met him at the 17th Ave ThaiThai after the bar one night and asked him why he never franchised Bagolac to more locations. He said that one ThaiThai pulled in the same amount of profit as Bagolac did and that the staff had a high turnover rate.

These new owners better not fuck with the quality of the food!

Are there any comparable vietmanese resteraunts near downtown? The owner looks a bit like William Hung? haha

Did you see the new Z06 he got? Thai Thai, less work, same money. Running a restaurant is such a bitch to deal with sometimes lol I agree with him, I would rather make subs too

max_boost
06-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Pho Dau Bo on 17th AVE SE in Little Saigon Mall has a wicked tasting pho satay. Somedays the satay is hotter but I prefer it a bit more mild. Restaurant is also pretty nice inside, modern and makes it look cleaner.

SilverGS
06-24-2007, 06:21 PM
+2 For Sunni's
+1 for Noodle World Rice Dishes.

Mmmm now I feel like eating Vietnamese food

Dooms_Bane
06-24-2007, 06:41 PM
i like that place in the ghetto 17th
le da or cafe le da

it's usually pretty good service every time i go.

dj_rice
06-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Dooms_Bane
i like that place in the ghetto 17th
le da or cafe le da

it's usually pretty good service every time i go.

Prolli cause your getting a lil extra after you eat...go into the pool hall and you'll know what I mean

Disoblige
06-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC
Oriental Pheonix is not even a contender when it comes to Vietnamese food... mainly because you don't see any asians eating there. This usually means it sucks.

Sunny's is so dirty but I still go there (roaches run around freely there)
Pho Kim is good (Bun Bo Hue very good there)
Pho Xuan is okay too (lots of mystery meat)
Pho Rang Dong is good too (sensibly priced and great tasting)
Noodle World is best for (ironically) their rice dishes.

Pho Rang Dong is my favorite now. :thumbsup:

Weapon_R
06-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Pho Dau Bo on 17th AVE SE in Little Saigon Mall has a wicked tasting pho satay. Somedays the satay is hotter but I prefer it a bit more mild. Restaurant is also pretty nice inside, modern and makes it look cleaner.

my favorite too. I saw your GF get some togo about a month back in your white slk :bigpimp:

Skyline_Addict
06-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Thahn in the middle mall near Diefenbaker High School is my favorite restauraunt. The charboiled pork chop is the shiznit!

eb0i
06-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS

+1 for Noodle World Rice Dishes.

+2 for Noodle World
#54 rocks!

I used to like Pho Dau Bo, but Pho Hoa is now my favorite.

gkAeris
06-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
Thahn in the middle mall near Diefenbaker High School is my favorite restauraunt. The charboiled pork chop is the shiznit!

yeah for pho thanh!!!:clap:

HybridTheory
06-25-2007, 04:37 PM
+1 for Pho Dau Bo

Mmmmm rainy days make me crave pho :drool:

Sleepingbeauty
07-08-2007, 02:24 AM
You're right, you should never go back again. It was their fault for telling you your food would be ready in 20 mins. Plus, they should of gave you teh food for free since you had to wait an extra 40 mins.

i guess it's going to take the new owner a lot longer to make back his 550K.

stevo 27
07-08-2007, 08:23 PM
i woulda peaced out at 7:30
im not gonna wait an hour plus for take out :thumbsdow

B18C
07-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris

yeah for pho thanh!!!:clap:

Yes I agree....I thought they had a bit of a downward turn a little while ago but in the last 6 months or so quality has gone up again.

I also agree that the charbroiled pork is amazing!

IntegraG2
07-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Pho Rang Dong is my favorite now. :thumbsup:

word!!! nothing ever goes wrong at this place and the service is great. I have been going here 8 years straight....i even go next door to Gong Kee for chinese...amazing food on this forest lawn block...haha

Tik-Tok
07-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by stevo 27
i woulda peaced out at 7:30
im not gonna wait an hour plus for take out :thumbsdow

Yeah, I was thinking of it, but when the time roles around, you think, well it HAS to be ready soon, it's already been so long. then by 45 minutes, you think, fuck this, but if I go somewhere else, it'll take another 25-30 min. to call and go pick THAT up, and it has to be ready any second now...

Pihsiak
07-12-2007, 12:46 AM
They still charge you for tea? and for refills on tea?

That just an't right no matter how good the food it....
It's a fucking tea bag

GTS Jeff
07-12-2007, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
They still charge you for tea? and for refills on tea?

That just an't right no matter how good the food it....
It's a fucking tea bag I ain't never been charged for tea...it's cuz you're a whiteboy, whiteboy.