PDA

View Full Version : Need hot water tank repairman

gonefishing
06-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Does anybody know someone who knows how to fix a hot water tank for cash?

FiveFreshFish
06-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Aren't they usually replaced instead of repaired?

Darkane
06-18-2007, 05:20 PM
WHats wrong with it?

gonefishing
06-19-2007, 08:05 AM
about a week ago water started to come out of the release valve that is about 3/4 of the way up the side of the tank. there has been pretty much a steady flow of water ever since then.

teggypimp95
06-19-2007, 08:11 AM
I believe once hot water tanks break you just replace them. How old is it?

dericer
06-19-2007, 08:22 AM
It's going to be more cost effective to replace it than fix it. If you're looking for one cheap, you might be able to find on from a place that sells recycled/recovered appliances from construction sites.

I bought one brand new from Sears for $400 installed though, so it's not too bad.

lilmira
06-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by gonefishing
about a week ago water started to come out of the release valve that is about 3/4 of the way up the side of the tank. there has been pretty much a steady flow of water ever since then.

You just have to change the pressure release valve. Phone any plumber in town. Mine was doing the same thing few months ago. They quoted me over a hundred bucks. I just gave the valve a little push to close it. You are supposed to check the valve once a while to make sure that it can release pressure but nobody does.

Darkane
06-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

You just have to change the pressure release valve. Phone any plumber in town. Mine was doing the same thing few months ago. They quoted me over a hundred bucks. I just gave the valve a little push to close it. You are supposed to check the valve once a while to make sure that it can release pressure but nobody does.

Lol true. The valve is just hasn't seated properly. Give it a try lever test. Do this a couple times. If it doesn't fix you need a new relief valve.

FYI relief valves to be checked once a month. :thumbsup:

ercchry
06-20-2007, 12:25 AM
yeah we normally replace tanks, but if it is just the valve thats easy, just buy a valve, dope, tape, and pipe wrench

then just take off old one, then on the new one dope the threads and tape it (clockwise), then screw new valve on