PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Network Management

shadowz
06-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Just looking for other people in this field and how do you like it?

Toms-SC
06-18-2007, 03:36 PM
It is fine is you manage to get into a position that actually utilizes your 'Network Management' skills. Until then your screwed doing general 'joe blow' stuff from IT.

rage2
06-18-2007, 03:41 PM
It's a fun job, since you have a lot of power over bandwidth, routing and lots of neat stuff. Make sure you work for a large company, otherwise, like what Toms-SC says, you will be doing IT stuff. Our company has 160ish employees, 6 remote offices, 1 linked server farm at the co-loc, and all the network mgmt is mainly done by the IT director (me) haha. Our IT guys know how to do it in case I go on vacation or umm... die... but it's primarily my responsibility.

Toms-SC
06-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Hmm, I'll just spout off somethings I have picked up. Excuse the randomness and what may appear as a rant. Take note I am a green horn.

I am just trapped in that crappy loop of 'Five years minimum Network Experience' but no places are willing to give the time to build up the experience!

If you get into your specialized field I am certain it will be a blast. I am going on my 3rd year of 'IT Experience' and have managed to develop quite a portfolio in everything but networking and server management :banghead:.

I don't know if Rage wants to shed light on the issue but I can see that the trend tends to be in a 'well balanced' persons. Meaning that if you have your technical side down it is all about communication and documentation skills. Oh ya, experience is a must :devil: I've done a few interviews for Network positions and if there is one hint I can give it is ITIL.

With that being said I am heading back to SAIT to further my pursuit for the perfect Network/Server administrator position by completing my BAI with a major in Networking.

I would suggest if you want to remain on the leading edge of things sign up for a couple of those bi-monthly IT publications such as 'Network World Canada' and 'Computer World Canada'

cowtowncivic
06-21-2007, 01:06 PM
i have finished my 4 semesters of my BAI and working on my work experience part (or i am suppose to but i am just working ).

The trick is to find a company with minimal IT staff, so you get a chance to do everything.

Currently I am doing Computer support, server management, telecommunication, citrix, oracle, Application and everything else in between.

so yea good luck.