PDA

View Full Version : Undercoating

supe
06-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Ok ive heard mixed reviews about undercoating, I need a professional opinion. The dealership obviously recommends it. I am getting the 3 way protection package for new cars at 2clean but they dont recommend the uncercoating. Platinum Protection does it for $100, what do you guys think?

Hemi RT
06-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by supe
OK I've heard mixed reviews about undercoating, I need a professional opinion. The dealership obviously recommends it. I am getting the 3 way protection package for new cars at 2clean but they don't recommend the undercoating. Platinum Protection does it for $100, what do you guys think?

The undercoating if done properly will do two things;
1. it will quiet the road noise down
2. it will help prevent the underside of the vehicle from rusting.

The rust protection will help prevent rust perforation especially in the doors but it Must be applied properly.

The paint shield is NOT worth what they charge for it as it is only good for six to twelve months and it will have to be re-applied. You are better off giving it a couple of good thin coats of a quality wax (not polish ) unless you want to polish it first then put on 2 thin coats of wax (meguiars Gold Class is very good and easy to use. The polish will give you a deep shine but there isn't any protection with polish thus the wax.

Hope this helps

Jim
J&A Graphics & Detailing

sneek
06-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Meguiar's Gold Class is a polish wax. Traditionally, a polishes have lots of oils. Meguiar's Gold Class has a high oil content, yet it has carnauba and a bit of polymer for protection. Typically I have found that Gold Class only lasts several weeks on a well prepped surface. I think the oils that make it a polish wax take away from the durability, but it allows the finish to have great depth. From what I know, most dealer applied protection packages cost them only several dollars, if that. I would go to walmart and get some turtle wax applicator pads (rectangular ones) and then run to XSCargo and get some $5 Synthetic Titanium wax. I actually think that the stuff at XSCargo is better than what is applied at the dealer.

If you are talking about a protection package from 2Clean then it might be worth it. I detail my own cars so I can't tell you how good they are. I imagine that they will make your car look great, but I don't know how long their waxes last.

Hemi RT
06-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by sneek
Meguiar's Gold Class is a polish wax. Traditionally, a polishes have lots of oils. Meguiar's Gold Class has a high oil content, yet it has carnauba and a bit of polymer for protection. Typically I have found that Gold Class only lasts several weeks on a well prepped surface. I think the oils that make it a polish wax take away from the durability, but it allows the finish to have great depth. From what I know, most dealer applied protection packages cost them only several dollars, if that. I would go to Walmart and get some turtle wax applicator pads (rectangular ones) and then run to XS-Cargo and get some $5 Synthetic Titanium wax. I actually think that the stuff at XS-Cargo is better than what is applied at the dealer.

If you are talking about a protection package from clean then it might be worth it. I detail my own cars so I can't tell you how good they are. I imagine that they will make your car look great, but I don't know how long their waxes last.

I don't want to disagree with you but in my business and my own vehicles, gold class is lasting more than 3 months which is about the time frame for a re-waxing. Agreed it has some oil & polymers in it but if it was classified as a polish/wax then Meguiars would have called it that and NOT a liquid wax.

Most Synthetic waxes have Teflon or silicones in them and do nothing for the paint; Teflon and silicone can not adhere to paint so the first time you wash it off they go. The silicone/Teflon thing is a marketing scam.

Jim
J&A Graphics & Detailing

sneek
06-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Meguiar's DOES classify Gold Class as a polish wax.
I only know this because I am h-core Meguiar's. Meguiar's test's the durability of wax using the squeak test, and that is now I determined that it only lasts several weeks. :D Gold Class is my favorite LSP, but I just don't think that it can last 3 months, but it all varies upon what the car is exposed to and such, but my car that I test durability on is a daily driver. Just out of curiosity how are you testing durability (EDIT: I don't want to sound like I am challenging you or anything.)
see post #2
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150
BTW: Mike Phillips works for Meguiar's.

Meguiar's has a whole bunch of synthetic waxes, but theirs do not have Teflon in them. I agree with you that Teflon does nothing for the paint, but silicones are useful. Most products that you see have added silicones to make the product spreadable. Silicones refer to wide category of products, even NXT tech wax has a high amount to silicones in it. Hence why you can use it to fill in lots of swirls.

KKY
06-24-2007, 10:16 PM
use M21 and be happy :D

sneek
06-24-2007, 10:30 PM
haha agreed! BTW: my M21 came back together. I had to pour out some water and it's consistance was back to normal.

Mitsu3000gt
06-25-2007, 08:58 AM
I use paint sealers instead of wax and find they last a very long time. I like Menzerna FMJ. The have a slighly different look though.

Hemi RT
06-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Meguiar's Gold Class is a polish wax. Traditionally, a polishes have lots of oils. Meguiar's Gold Class has a high oil content, yet it has carnauba and a bit of polymer for protection. Typically I have found that Gold Class only lasts several weeks on a well prepped surface. I think the oils that make it a polish wax take away from the durability, but it allows the finish to have great depth. From what I know, most dealer applied protection packages cost them only several dollars, if that. I would go to walmart and get some turtle wax applicator pads (rectangular ones) and then run to XSCargo and get some $5 Synthetic Titanium wax. I actually think that the stuff at XSCargo is better than what is applied at the dealer.

If you are talking about a protection package from 2Clean then it might be worth it. I detail my own cars so I can't tell you how good they are. I imagine that they will make your car look great, but I don't know how long their waxes last.

Please follow this link and read from there down.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/permalink/19948/20008/ShowThread.aspx#20008

sneek
06-25-2007, 06:27 PM
:rolleyes: I didn't want this to turn into a big thing, but I replied to your thread.

Hemi RT
06-25-2007, 08:28 PM
:rolleyes: I didn't want this to turn into a big thing, but I replied to your thread.

Not a big thing here; I think we both learned something and isn't what this is all about. We both use one of the best product made to keep our vehicles looking good so I think learning something about these products makes us both wiser.

Have a Great day and keep the shiny side up.

Jim