PDA

View Full Version : relocating from Calgary to Southern California

TimG
06-24-2007, 07:34 AM
I need to find out what's involved, in this. I have no idea where to even start looking. US Customs and Immigration?

has anyone gone thru this process already?

is there some kind of cost of living index where i can see what kind of salary i'd have to be making down there to have the same standard of living as I currently have?

TrevorK
06-24-2007, 11:05 AM
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/movecalc.asp

This might be helpful to show you prices of average items/expenses.

http://www.2ontario.com/welcome/coca_701.asp

And this is the actual index.

E36M3
06-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Depending on your education and career choice, there are a number of ways to approach it. The best way to start is to look at jobs on monster.com or craigslist.org and see whether or not there are jobs available where you would want to live.

I lived in California for quite a few years, so I can help steer you a little bit if you give me a bit more detail. San Diego is a fantastic place to live, and is less expensive overall than Calgary to live in. Los Angeles is probably ok too.

Nufy
06-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
San Diego is a fantastic place to live, and is less expensive overall than Calgary to live in. Los Angeles is probably ok too.

I'm not to sure about that..

I just got back from San Diego and the people I spoke with were telling me that Real Estate is getting very expensive in the City and burbs.

Much so to the point that even with a hour + commute you were still paying 350 - 400k for a medium sized home.

New Downtown 800 sq ft condos were about 250 - 300k.

That being said It was probably one of the most beautiful cities I have visited. (People and City wise)

The Gas Light (town) area of downtown was awesome...

Lots of good restaurants and tons of hotties walking around..

The weather can't be beat.

If i could afford to live there I'd be on the next plane out...

FarmBoy
06-24-2007, 05:38 PM
That's sounds about the same as Calgary.

Originally posted by Nufy

I just got back from San Diego and the people I spoke with were telling me that Real Estate is getting very expensive in the City and burbs.

Much so to the point that even with a hour + commute you were still paying 350 - 400k for a medium sized home.

New Downtown 800 sq ft condos were about 250 - 300k.

Supa Dexta
06-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by TimG
where i can see what kind of salary i'd have to be making down there to have the same standard of living as I currently have?

A lot less really,..! I was on course with a bunch of guys last week from the usa.. they couldn't believe how much everything is up here, taxes, food, beer, strippers.. etc...

Nufy
06-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by FarmBoy
That's sounds about the same as Calgary.

US Dollars vs canadian...

They are getting a lot closer but there is still a difference...

If I wasn't in meetings we were out and about town, harbour tours etc...

My numbers may be a little off but the jest of what I remembered was that it is very expensive to live in San Diego.

TimG
06-24-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm expecting a formal job offer on monday or tuesday for a company based in Irvine, so I'd be moving somewhere in Orange County.

E36M3
06-25-2007, 04:25 AM
Calgary is more expensive. I have similar places in Calgary and San Diego. Food, car insurance and other necessities are all cheaper in San Diego which also makes up a bunch.

Originally posted by Nufy

US Dollars vs canadian...

They are getting a lot closer but there is still a difference...

If I wasn't in meetings we were out and about town, harbour tours etc...

My numbers may be a little off but the jest of what I remembered was that it is very expensive to live in San Diego.

TimG
06-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Does your credit rating follow you into the US or do you start from nothing and have to rebuild your credit from scratch?

R-Audi
06-25-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm expecting a formal job offer on monday or tuesday for a company based in Irvine, so I'd be moving somewhere in Orange County.

Have you talked with them about visa's/green cards? That can be HUGE obstacle..

TimG
06-25-2007, 03:10 PM
yah. they've already told me that I will have to apply for a TN-1 (i think?) visa at the border when i enter the US. it's good for 1 year and is renewable.

ZorroAMG
06-25-2007, 05:05 PM
I'd look into the visa WAYYY before that...you don't want to get there, all your stuff sent down, etc and get denied the visa at the border...from what I understand, the company has to sponsor YOU and get the visa...

Check it out much more to be safe :)

E36M3
06-25-2007, 11:56 PM
You had better do some research about the work permit before you go. The TN-1 is not a visa, and is only good for one year at a time. Expect to be rejected if you are not well prepared.

Your credit rating does not follow you, but once you get there, look around for lenders who will consider your Canadian credit. Credit Unions are best for this (I can give you some referrals if you need them)

yah. they've already told me that I will have to apply for a TN-1 (i think?) visa at the border when i enter the US. it's good for 1 year and is renewable.

TimG
06-26-2007, 07:50 AM
cool thanks. I will if things work out.